Author Topic: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale  (Read 823931 times)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I dunno man, I feel like if I were drawing the art for Coates stories I would probably feel uninspired too..

Either that or I would create my own excitement in there somehow to get away from the wasted panels of talking about nothing of importance. This is supposed to be a superhero comic and we get droning on for the majority then a page and a half of action.. which may or may not feature the title character
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 10:55:25 pm by Ezyo »

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Marvel is really dragging this on way beyond tolerance. Coates' Black Panther #25 and its preceding issues goes on sale when?!? Let's get this over so we can move on.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:24:37 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
I dunno man, I feel like if I were drawing the art for Coates stories I would probably feel uninspired too..

Either that or I would create my own excitement in there somehow to get away from the wasted panels of talking about nothing of importance. This is supposed to be a superhero comic and we get droning on for the majority then a page and a half of action.. which may or may not feature the title character

I haven't read his book since Season 1, but it seems like ole dude is droning on and on like ole boi Don McGregor...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I haven't read his book since Season 1, but it seems like ole dude is droning on and on like ole boi Don McGregor...

Atleast McGregor had T'Challa doing stuff and being competent every so often. Dude had him killing dinosaurs band giant crocs with his bare hands and the resources around him. Coates has him struggling to beat goon slam Gary sporting the most advanced tech in the planet

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Don McGregor backed his wordy prose up with solid action depicted clearly, on the printed page.

I'm not sure why you're comparing McGregor's solidly grounded work to the nonsense Ta Nehisi Coates has been allowed to plow through the BP mythos with for close to four years now?

There really is no comparison.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA

Don McGregor backed his wordy prose up with solid action depicted clearly, on the printed page.

I'm not sure why you're comparing McGregor's solidly grounded work to the nonsense Ta Nehisi Coates has been allowed to plow through the BP mythos with for close to four years now?

There really is no comparison.

The only comparison I'm makin, brother Salustrade, is the wordiness of each writer. Don is more committed to making BP actually matter...in a GOOD way...than TurnCoates is. However.  I can't see how Don's decisions to see BP constantly beaten up, bloody, running from place to place while yakkin, GETTING BEATEN UP BY A TEENAGE GANG COMPRISED OF REGULAR WHITE KIDS, and being the only character in the Marvel line who consistently...I'm talkin every 3 or 4 issues... needs to be saved by other people in his own book could put him on hallowed ground. I remember wanting to be impressed with BP doing sweet feats against actual villains, but he very rarely seemed to get a clean win on his own. Without help or some fortuitous unforeseen incident saving him at the last moment. One of his superpowers seemed to be the ability to take incredible beatings without dying, while simultaneously philosophizing everyone around him to death.

With Don and TurnCoates...feats-wise...there was far too much of this:

Not enough of this:

Far too much of this:

Not enough of this [ I mean the dynamic, dominating action by BP that this cover conveys, not any exceptional praise for this particular arc that TurnCoates wrote ]:

I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Yeah for all the good Don did, it was immediately followed by the most ridiculous beatings ever witnessed. It went from "Woah T'Challa just killed a dinosaur!" To "Wow did T'Challa seriously just get his ass kicked by some non-powered teenagers?"

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale
« Reply #4807 on: September 08, 2020, 10:04:03 am »
Ta-Nehesi Coates' Black Panther Will Conclude in a Big Way In 2021
by Rich Johnston  August 20, 2020

Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther comic book series with Daniel Acuna and Brian Stelfreeze was one of the Marvel Comics titles that was held up by the local shutdown but has not yet been rescheduled. Black Panther #22 was published at the end of March but that was it. Expected to conclude with issue #25, it has been unclear if the comic series would be cancelled without its conclusion, and there is no sign of Black Panther in upcoming solicitations from Marvel for November.

Bleeding Cool understands that the series will return but, like Runaways, Marvel will be waiting until 2021.  Here are the solicitations for the final three issues, and I am led to understand that the series will be ending in a big way. Ta-Nehisi Coates remains the lead writer for the Captain America comic book, however, and I understand he has quite a long run planned and a similarly long commitment from Marvel Comics for the book. Rumours that Tom King may be tapped to write Cap fall well short of reality.

BLACK PANTHER #23
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • DANIEL ACUÑA (A/C)
Variant cover by JULIAN  TOTINO  TEDESCO
THE INTERGALACTIC EMPIRE OF WAKANDA – "WAKANDA UNBOUND" part 5
THE POWER OF THE NAMELESS!
The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda turned their legendary king into a slave. Now the king is restored — and after years of effort, the gates of the Empire will swing wide open as the Black Panther makes one final attempt to free the ranks of the Nameless across the five galaxies.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

BLACK PANTHER #24
TA-NEHISI COATES [W] • DANIEL ACUÑA (A/C)
VARIANT COVER BY JOE QUINONES
THE INTERGALACTIC EMPIRE OF WAKANDA – "WAKANDA UNBOUND" Part 6
The Intergalactic Empire has suffered thousands of losses – and still they're coming for Earth. Wakanda Prime is in more danger than ever as Emperor N'Jadaka – A.K.A. the resurrected Killmonger, one of the Black Panther's deadliest enemies — returns to face the king who unintentionally brought him to power.
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

BLACK PANTHER #25
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • DANIEL ACUÑA & BRIAN STELFREEZE (A) • COVER BY DANIEL ACUÑA
FINAL ISSUE VARIANT COVER BY BRIAN STELFREEZE
VARIANT COVER BY SAM SPRATT
THE FINAL ISSUE OF TA-NEHISI COATES' LANDMARK RUN!
It's the end of an era for the Black Panther as renowned writer Ta-Nehisi Coates concludes his Wakandan epic! Over four years, Coates has taken the Black Panther to hell and back and expanded Wakanda into the distant stars. Now, in his final issue, he brings T'Challa full circle, back to the home he left behind…and the crown he has never fully accepted. This is the story of a king who sought to be a hero, a hero who was reduced to a slave, a slave who advanced into legend…and the man who has struggled to hold up an empire in his bare hands. The journey will conclude, but the legend remains. Don't miss the close of a historic epoch in comic history!
40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/ta-nehesi-coates-black-panther-to-conclude-in-2021/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 10:06:56 am by Ture »

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale
« Reply #4808 on: September 13, 2020, 04:05:14 pm »
While we wait for Coates' finale...

Marvel Masterworks: Black Panther Vol. 3 HC
September 11, 2020  Gormuu

Marvel Masterworks: Black Panther Vol. 3 HC

Reprints: Black Panther #1-4; material from Marvel Comics Presents #13-37

(Vol. 303 in the Marvel Masterworks Library)

First Print
Release Date: April 14, 2021

REGULAR EDITION ISBN: 978-1-302-92869-8 • List Price: $75.00
VARIANT EDITION ISBN: 978-1-302-92872-8 • List Price: $75.00
VARIANT PRINT RUN: TBA

Printed in China

400 Pages

Written by Don McGregor & Peter B. Gillis

Penciled by Gene Colan & Denys Cowan

Cover by Denys Cowan

Introduction by TBA

Collection Editor: Cory Sedlmeier
Color Reconstruction: TBA
Art Reconstruction: TBA

BONUS MATERIAL:
• TBA

ON SALE:
• REGULAR MASTERWORKS STOREFRONT
• VARIANT MASTERWORKS STOREFRONT

https://collectededitions.com/2020/09/11/marvel-masterworks-black-panther-vol-3-hc/

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4809 on: September 25, 2020, 10:08:18 pm »
Brian Stelfreeze "humbled" by his work on Black Panther with Ta-Nehisi Coates
By Chris Arrant

Black Panther artist Brian Stelfreeze on the impact the run had on him

Ta-Nehisi Coates's Black Panther run is in its final issues, and Brian Stelfreeze, the original artist of that run, says it was "really moving" to discover how much the character means to people.

"It was really moving to see what that character meant to people," Stelfreeze tells Newsarama. "How people saw so much of themselves represented in character, especially the kids. It seems odd to say it but Ta-Nehisi brought such gravitas to the character and the series really feels important and I'm humbled to be a part of it."

Stelfreeze's run as Black Panther's interior artist ended with May 2017's #12, but not before he redesigned many elements of the Wakandan mythos that have carried over into films and other ancillary projects.

"It really reminds me that these stories we do can carry much deeper meaning to people and that they are more than just funny books."

Stelfreeze is currently working on introducing his own hero with the creator-owned series Thomas River.

When asked what keeps driving him to draw, write, and create here now in 2020, Stelfreeze says it's about sharing emotions and thoughts with the world.

"Sometimes it's just chasing the answer to the question 'what if," Stelfreeze explains. "Sometimes it's the frustration of not being able to do anything about the tragedy that I read about or see on television. Probably, most of all, it's about getting the opportunity to share in emotion or project a thought into the world. Even if it's just about escaping for a moment and making someone laugh."My drawing table is my open mic and sometimes my soapbox and I get to talk to the world," he continues. "What can be cooler than that?!"

Stelfreeze and Coates' run is one of the several of our list of the best Black Panther stories of all time.

https://www.gamesradar.com/black-panther-brian-stelfreeze/

Offline Marvell2100

• Wakandans United!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: September 29, 2020, 06:29:55 am »
The sooner this is over the sooner we can move on. I think they pushed Coates BP back to next year is because of the low sales. With all of the events and relaunches we've seen since the start of summer, they probably didn't want Coates' book to suffer even worse sales since it would have to compete with so many other titles.
Black Panther. Bane of the Unfans.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
The sooner this is over the sooner we can move on. I think they pushed Coates BP back to next year is because of the low sales. With all of the events and relaunches we've seen since the start of summer, they probably didn't want Coates' book to suffer even worse sales since it would have to compete with so many other titles.

When will Marvel's ongoing Black Panther series return?
By Chris Arrant

Questions arise about the fate of Ta-Nehisi Coates' final issues of Black Panther

Where is Marvel's Black Panther ongoing series? That's a question that's been asked since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic which threw a wrench into longtime series writer Ta-Nehisi Coates' planned June finale of the series with Black Panther #25. But it's been especially prevalent this week, as Marvel published a eulogy to the late Black Panther actor Chadwick Boseman by Coates in many of its major titles this week.

The pandemic led to the upcoming issues of the Black Panther series to be postponed indefinitely, with the last one being March 25's Black Panther #22. But while all of Marvel's other major titles have resumed publication (some as early as May), Coates' Black Panther remains aloof as the most notable title missing since the onset of the pandemic.

Back on February 29 in what became the last major comic convention (C2E2) before the onset of the pandemic, Marvel announced that Coates would be wrapping up his four-year Black Panther run with a 40-page finale drawn by current series artist Daniel Acuna and the returning Brian Stelfreeze, who drew much of the first year of Coates' run.

"It's the end of an era for the Black Panther as renowned writer Ta-Nehisi Coates concludes his Wakandan epic!" reads the solicitation for the finale as announced in February. "Over four years, Coates has taken the Black Panther to hell and back and expanded Wakanda into the distant stars.

"Now, in his final issue, he brings T'Challa full circle, back to the home he left behind…and the crown he has never fully accepted," the synopsis continues. "This is the story of a king who sought to be a hero, a hero who was reduced to a slave, a slave who advanced into legend…and the man who has struggled to hold up an empire in his bare hands. The journey will conclude, but the legend remains. Don't miss the close of a historic epoch in comic history!"

Newsarama reached out to Marvel for an update on the status of Black Panther #23-#25, but have not received a response.

The publisher has released the schedule for its titles through the end of 2020, and Black Panther #23-#25 is not in those solicitations

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON FOR THE BLACK PANTHER SOLO TITLE NOT COMMEMORATING THE LATE CHADWICK BOSEMAN. ABSOLUTELY NONE!

I have to give a respectful shout out of appreciation to Ta-Nehisi Coates  and Brian Stelfreeze for honoring our King.