Author Topic: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!  (Read 1150975 times)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Frankly I'm just glad it's over Because the amount of excuses and underserved praise is baffling, this is not a good story, no matter how much people want to try and spin it. It's a terrible Black Panther story, it's a terrible superhero story, and it's a terrible fictional story at it's core.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Agreed Ezyo, the praise of what I can only describe as a hatchet job and major disappointment is truly baffling? Over the span of Coates' run we've had several snapshot iterations of Wakanda and BP that more faithfully delivered on the mythos, Narcisse's "Rise of the Black Panther," Kibblesmith's "Black Panther vs. Deadpool," Zub's "Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda," Aaron's meatier BP take in his run on Avengers and Coogler's cinematic take. This gives me hope that Marvel editorial was more or less obliging Coates' celebrity for book sales and PC with intent to restore the integrity, honor and unique nobility of T'Challa and Wakanda once Coates' tenure was up? It concerns me that they rejected Redjack's pitch, but it also tells me they may be excercising more control in deference to their character/property than to the writer? Bottom line, if Marvel editorial is not inclined to restore T'Challa and Wakanda, then it may not matter who writes the book.

Peace,

Mont

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Ta-Nehisi Coates took Black Panther to dark places - and it paid off

http://www.yahoo.com/news/ta-nehisi-coates-took-black-130319812.html

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Thanks for reading and reviewing because I didn't want to. Shame that Stelfreeze wasn't matched with a better writer, one who had more basic respect for T'Challa as a character and black men in general.

You are welcome Emperorjones. It was a deed fought with peril and disappointment but upon its conclusion there was some sense of relief and a hope of better things to come.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Ta-Nehisi Coates took Black Panther to dark places - and it paid off

http://www.yahoo.com/news/ta-nehisi-coates-took-black-130319812.html

Indeed he did and there is little question of who the recipient of the payoff was. The A.G.E.N.D.A. matters.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
I didn't think things could get much worst after Maberry, however with him, I saw it coming. That was why some eleven years ago I wrote Doomwar and the many "mistakes" of Reginald Hudlin. For the curious http://hudlinentertainment.com/smf/index.php?topic=5948.msg99641#msg99641

Prior to Doomwar Black Panther was on a roll. While Priest delivered the definitive and best Black Panther in both form and narrative it was Hudlin who unabashedly declared Wakanda an unconquered nation; joined in sacred matrimony what was arguably Marvel's greatest power couple; and searingly put the black power in Black Panther.

While arguments against Priest centered mostly on how OP his BP was, the attack on Hudlin was to be far more insidious because he brazenly introduced the three aforementioned elements into the BP mythos. These were the "mistakes" that for more than decade now had to be expunged or at the very least obfuscated to the point of irrelevance.

Maberry's Doomwar and later Hickman's New Avengers would give Wakanda its first "defeats" with Aaron's Avengers vs X Men delivering an inundating coup de grace. Aaron however would not stop there, no way. He went on to have the marriage of Black Panther and Storm annulled and even went so far as to have them engage in a physical fight.

All that was left was to purge the Black Power from Black Panther and that task wasn't well suited for a "white" writer. For black depowering an expert in black victimization and self denigration would be needed and of course this writer would have to be "black." Enter Ta Nehesi Coates.

Coates meticulously devitalized the Black Panther and his nation of Wakanda by systematically infusing destabilizing elements into the Black Panther mythos all based on a contrived if not false premise of Wakandan utopianism. Coates corrupted the Wakandan monarchy; introduced rape camps in treehouses; had Wakandan gods turn their backs on the Wakandan people; made Wakandans invaders and colonizers of their own homeland; and delivered the weakest iteration of T'Challa to date.

Thus, the many mistakes of Hudlin had been corrected. Now we stand on a new precipice on which a new writer will helm a new BP ongoing. I have no expectations for John Ridley therefore I alleviate myself of any disappointments. What Ridley does or doesn't do remains to be seen. One thing is clear. The rehabilitation of Wakanda as an unconquerable nation; T'challa having a love interest that is compelling and complex; and the restoration of Black Power in Black Panther must be reinstated if we are to avoid sedentary and mediocre storytelling.

The Black Panther comic book has a long history of dealing with the "black" world outside our window. Southern racism and the KKK; apartheid in occupied Azania aka South Africa; crack epidemic and drug smuggling; inner city gang violence; so called black life and the necessities of Afrakan centeredness.

The confusion most writers fell into was that most of the aforementioned challenges would not exist outside a Wakandan window. This more than anything applies to Coates' run. If he placed all his political, philosophical and religious challenges into characters and a nation that wasn't the Black Panther and Wakanda and properly contrasted them, he may have written a very good comic book in that regard... but he didn't.

The good thing about Black Panther is that he is resilient and was always an A lister just waiting to be discovered. The world has discovered the Black Panther in during Black History Month 2018. As the BP film demonstrated, in unprecedented fashion, it was the centering on Afrakan excellence trough cultural autonomy, futurity and world building that elevated the Black Panther.

This upcoming August presents a very desired opportunity for the Black Panther. In other words the Black Panther can now leave the Coatesverse and pursue his true destiny among the pantheon of elite superheroes.

We know what John Ridley must do, the question is does he?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I didn't think things could get much worst after Maberry, however with him, I saw it coming. That was why some eleven years ago I wrote Doomwar and the many "mistakes" of Reginald Hudlin. For the curious http://hudlinentertainment.com/smf/index.php?topic=5948.msg99641#msg99641

Prior to Doomwar Black Panther was on a roll. While Priest delivered the definitive and best Black Panther in both form and narrative it was Hudlin who unabashedly declared Wakanda an unconquered nation; joined in sacred matrimony what was arguably Marvel's greatest power couple; and searingly put the black power in Black Panther.

While arguments against Priest centered mostly on how OP his BP was, the attack on Hudlin was to be far more insidious because he brazenly introduced the three aforementioned elements into the BP mythos. These were the "mistakes" that for more than decade now had to be expunged or at the very least obfuscated to the point of irrelevance.

Maberry's Doomwar and later Hickman's New Avengers would give Wakanda its first "defeats" with Aaron's Avengers vs X Men delivering an inundating coup de grace. Aaron however would not stop there, no way. He went on to have the marriage of Black Panther and Storm annulled and even went so far as to have them engage in a physical fight.

All that was left was to purge the Black Power from Black Panther and that task wasn't well suited for a "white" writer. For black depowering an expert in black victimization and self denigration would be needed and of course this writer would have to be "black." Enter Ta Nehesi Coates.

Coates meticulously devitalized the Black Panther and his nation of Wakanda by systematically infusing destabilizing elements into the Black Panther mythos all based on a contrived if not false premise of Wakandan utopianism. Coates corrupted the Wakandan monarchy; introduced rape camps in treehouses; had Wakandan gods turn their backs on the Wakandan people; made Wakandans invaders and colonizers of their own homeland; and delivered the weakest iteration of T'Challa to date.

Thus, the many mistakes of Hudlin had been corrected. Now we stand on a new precipice on which a new writer will helm a new BP ongoing. I have no expectations for John Ridley therefore I alleviate myself of any disappointments. What Ridley does or doesn't do remains to be seen. One thing is clear. The rehabilitation of Wakanda as an unconquerable nation; T'challa having a love interest that is compelling and complex; and the restoration of Black Power in Black Panther must be reinstated if we are to avoid sedentary and mediocre storytelling.

The Black Panther comic book has a long history of dealing with the "black" world outside our window. Southern racism and the KKK; apartheid in occupied Azania aka South Africa; crack epidemic and drug smuggling; inner city gang violence; so called black life and the necessities of Afrakan centeredness.

The confusion most writers fell into was that most of the aforementioned challenges would not exist outside a Wakandan window. This more than anything applies to Coates' run. If he placed all his political, philosophical and religious challenges into characters and a nation that wasn't the Black Panther and Wakanda and properly contrasted them, he may have written a very good comic book in that regard... but he didn't.

The good thing about Black Panther is that he is resilient and was always an A lister just waiting to be discovered. The world has discovered the Black Panther in during Black History Month 2018. As the BP film demonstrated, in unprecedented fashion, it was the centering on Afrakan excellence trough cultural autonomy, futurity and world building that elevated the Black Panther.

This upcoming August presents a very desired opportunity for the Black Panther. In other words the Black Panther can now leave the Coatesverse and pursue his true destiny among the pantheon of elite superheroes.

We know what John Ridley must do, the question is does he?

Very well said. Yes, the question remains what will kind of steward will Ridley be? I do expect him to be a better writer from jump, but as for how he views T'Challa and his world, that's a mystery.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Coates may have left with a workable get around both in comic and film. You see it begins with...

A cursory examination provides the following...

We conclude with this...

and this...

If T'challa is to give up being king of Wakanda, well trading it for being emperor of the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda maybe a step in the right direction. Emperor T'Challa may have the largest galactic empire in the 616 universe.

The Skrull Empire is a vast intergalactic empire that dominates their home galaxy, the Andromeda Galaxy which has millions of inhabited worlds. It is the oldest interstellar empire in the cosmos and is said to have laid waste to a thousand galaxies.

The Kree Empire extends throughout nearly a thousand worlds in the northwestern lobe (Earth reference) of the Greater Magellanic Cloud with outposts in other galaxies. The Shi'ar Empire is a vast intergalactic empire that rules a million worlds.

The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda  must have most certainly caught the attention of the three aforementioned galactic empires, not to mention the Brood, the Chitauri, the Rigellians, the Klyntar, Galactus and of course Thanos.

Hell, the entire cosmos must be on alert.

If so inclined this could result in the "woke" folk temporarily getting their wish of Shuri ruling Wakanda (Prime) while Emperor T'Challa rules the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda.

Now this also provides an out for the upcoming movie sequel, Wakanda Forever. No need to engage in the ridiculous notion of killing off T'Challa. Just have a teary eyed Shuri and company watching a space ship launch into deep space and her whispering "see you soon brother. " Let me help with the visual. Imagine it is Shuri suited up with the children.

To add some icing on that cake, have the now trending Sam Wilson there and have him thank Shuri for the new suit and wings. Shuri replies that she did not make those items for him, T'Challa did.

Then Marvel can go on with its intro of Namor and the flooding of Wakanda. You know, cause it happened in the comic.

They can also read how the critics and fans shred the movie; watch ticket sales plummet and merchandise remain on the shelves. After this debacle Marvel can start the production of the third film and begin redemption by recasting T'Challa the Emperor of the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda.

In conclusion a lot has to be done to make sense of what Coates left behind. I mean some serious retconning and applicable common sense needs to be applied in very liberal amounts to make this really work. This much power has to recognized and addressed in-story. John Ridley should not simply ignore this just for the sake of his narrative.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
John Ridley's Black Panther is about to drop and as with most BP related things I feel some excitement. There is so much to explore going forward, so much to correct looking back and perhaps somethings just best left alone to find themselves in the dustbins of long boxes. Any way the promotions for the new BP series should be rolling out in full steam. Here's a peak.

(W) John Ridley (A) Juan Cabal (CA) John Romita
NEW CREATIVE TEAM, NEW DIRECTION - "THE LONG SHADOW" STARTS HERE!
Academy Award-winning writer John Ridley and Stormbreaker artist Juann Cabal launch an all-new BLACK PANTHER series with an action-packed espionage story that will upend everything in T'Challa's life and have ramifications for the entire Marvel Universe!

Secrets from T'Challa's past have come back to haunt him! Fresh from returning from his travels in space, Black Panther receives an unexpected and urgent message from a Wakandan secret agent! Now T'Challa must race the clock not only to save his agent, but also to keep his true agenda under wraps. Because if the truth comes out, it could cost T'Challa everything...

In Shops: Aug 04, 2021
SRP: $4.99
Rated T

Covers are a throw back to the Hudlin and Liss eras. A good omen perhaps.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:51:36 am by Ture »

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK by John Ridley - The Promos Begin!
« Reply #4884 on: June 23, 2021, 01:16:54 pm »
THIS JUST IN...

From our affiliate MindofShadow over at CBR we get a preview of the covers for John Ridley's second issue of Black Panther

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #4885 on: June 25, 2021, 06:17:37 pm »
THIS JUST IN...

From our affiliate MindofShadow over at CBR we get a preview of the covers for John Ridley's second issue of Black Panther

I like the art. I like seeing Spidey. Buuut...

...T'Challa has to save his sleeper agents? T'Challa should be too smart and Wakanda should have too many safeguards and redundancies to prevent the ENTIRETY or even half of his sleeper agents from being uncovered. The premise...without the edifying details that bring context...seems rather common and uninspired. I know that the BP movie was likened to a James Bond type flick, but still...

...On top of that? Wakanda's arsenal of crack teams that would address this...teams like the Wakandans who in Xhosa might be called "Amagorha Asebukhosini Abekekileyo" aka "Noble Royal Heroes", in Swahili they're called Kifalme Mashujaa Heshima "Royal Warriors of Honor"  and in English they're miscalled THE BLACK MUSKETEERS, or teams like the AGENTS OF WAKANDA or teams like THE CREW [ new iteration, not Coates' iteration ]...should be on the job well before The Black Panther himself considers personal intervention. I'd like to see a story that addresses these layers of Wakanda and how matters do and don't rise to the level that they require the personal attention of the King.

These layers should also put the spotlight on more people and teams of Wakanda. Teams like "Iingcuka Zesithunzi"..."Wolves of the Shadows/Shadow Wolves"...one of the elite teams of the Hatut Zeraze.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: June 25, 2021, 08:36:45 pm »
I think this also has to do with friendship. Ridley is known for having positive male supporting cast and T'Challa is desperate for his male supporting cast to be revitalized.

Also, after the era of Coates, I am fully satisfied with any and all issues arising to have T'Challas personal attention. No more delegation, no more team Wakanda. This is T'Challas book and he needs to handle his business

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #4887 on: June 25, 2021, 11:17:51 pm »
I think this also has to do with friendship. Ridley is known for having positive male supporting cast and T'Challa is desperate for his male supporting cast to be revitalized.

Also, after the era of Coates, I am fully satisfied with any and all issues arising to have T'Challas personal attention. No more delegation, no more team Wakanda. This is T'Challas book and he needs to handle his business

As usual we agree. I support all of the above and wish Ridley the best...even though I'm still salty that it's not Redjack, who's the already proven guy for BP, whereas Ridley is the "yet to be proven hopeful" for BP.

I'm all for T'Challa handlin his biz. I just think that this premise...again with the caveat of the missing edifying details providing context...is not inspired nor sufficient enough to warrant T'Challa's attention. Especially when we have...by way of comparison...Jason Aaron absolutely merkin it with BP in his book.Also? I bet that many of the juicy actual and potential opponents like DOOM, the Kree, Loki, The Obsidian Order, The Grandmaster etc are denied to Ridley or tied up.

Because of that? We need an almost CJP powered scribe who can take a character that's not expected to be dangerous and turn him/her/them into bonafide worldbeaters like he did with BP.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:19:29 pm by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: June 28, 2021, 04:16:59 am »
Black Panther: A New Wakandan Hero is Being Teased By Marvel

http://screenrant.com/black-panther-last-annihilation-marvel-tease-mbaku/

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4889 on: July 02, 2021, 08:31:09 pm »
Covers aplenty seem to be the new norm for Black Panther. Here is a variant (heh,heh, variant, call the Time Variance Authority) cover of BP #1 by David Nakayama featuring Shuri courtesy of CBR's MindofShadow.