Author Topic: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK #1 Finally, it's here!!!  (Read 1104123 times)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - New Sneak Peek for Black Panther #1
« Reply #4950 on: October 05, 2021, 08:08:11 pm »
I think BC means he needs a win in his own book

Offline BlackClaw

• Yes my teeth and ambitions are bared! Be prepared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: October 05, 2021, 10:34:23 pm »
I think BC means he needs a win in his own book

That and because of his predicament in the MCU, especially since he doesn’t seem to have a big presence in other mediums like animation and video games (Avengers aside) at the moment.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: October 06, 2021, 07:57:17 pm »
Yeah, I don't know why they are so hesitant. More people need to be like Judge, and keep the legacy going

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - John Ridley's Inverse interview
« Reply #4953 on: October 18, 2021, 09:06:27 am »
THE INVERSE INTERVIEW ‘BLACK PANTHER’ WRITER UNPACKS HIS SCI-FI FILM DEBUT AND UPCOMING MARVEL COMIC

B ERIC FRANCISCO
10.17.2021 7:00 AM

This article is edited for just the BP content. Full article here.
https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/john-ridley-needle-in-a-timestack-interview-black-panther

“IF HEAVY IS THE HEAD THAT WEARS THE CROWN, WHAT MAKES T’CHALLA’S HEAD HEAVY?”

But superheroes and sci-fi have never been beyond Ridley’s grasp. He’s written episodes of shows like Justice League and Static Shock and was briefly working with Marvel on a series, which was shelved before ever being announced. In 2021, he wrote comics for both DC and Marvel. Currently, he is working within the Batman universe and will soon take over for Ta-Nehisi Coates on Marvel’s current run of Black Panther.

Needle in a Timestack offers a preview of ideas Ridley will explore on Black Panther. “It’s a story of the past,” Ridley says of the Marvel comics storyline he’ll pursue. “I want to do as much as I’ve done with Needle, which is to take this extraordinary character in this amazing space and say, ‘What makes him human?’ If heavy is the head that wears the crown, what makes T’Challa’s head heavy?”

As he spun a movie from Silverberg’s story, Ridley aims to build upon foundations laid by Black Panther writers Coates and Reginald Hudlin. “You say [their] names, and you know what they did with Black Panther,” he says, “I want to build on those stories. You can look forward to a very human, very grounded take on what it’s like to be Black Panther. It’s the story of regret, in many ways.”

Well this interview didn't give away much. What makes him human? It's a story of regret. So we might get another sad and broken, naval gazing T'Challa. While he did mention building on not just Coates but also Hudlin it remains to be seen how he will integrate the two very different approaches and iterations of the Black Panther.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #4954 on: October 20, 2021, 02:26:18 pm »
THE INVERSE INTERVIEW ‘BLACK PANTHER’ WRITER UNPACKS HIS SCI-FI FILM DEBUT AND UPCOMING MARVEL COMIC

B ERIC FRANCISCO
10.17.2021 7:00 AM

This article is edited for just the BP content. Full article here.
https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/john-ridley-needle-in-a-timestack-interview-black-panther

“IF HEAVY IS THE HEAD THAT WEARS THE CROWN, WHAT MAKES T’CHALLA’S HEAD HEAVY?”

But superheroes and sci-fi have never been beyond Ridley’s grasp. He’s written episodes of shows like Justice League and Static Shock and was briefly working with Marvel on a series, which was shelved before ever being announced. In 2021, he wrote comics for both DC and Marvel. Currently, he is working within the Batman universe and will soon take over for Ta-Nehisi Coates on Marvel’s current run of Black Panther.

Needle in a Timestack offers a preview of ideas Ridley will explore on Black Panther. “It’s a story of the past,” Ridley says of the Marvel comics storyline he’ll pursue. “I want to do as much as I’ve done with Needle, which is to take this extraordinary character in this amazing space and say, ‘What makes him human?’ If heavy is the head that wears the crown, what makes T’Challa’s head heavy?”

As he spun a movie from Silverberg’s story, Ridley aims to build upon foundations laid by Black Panther writers Coates and Reginald Hudlin. “You say [their] names, and you know what they did with Black Panther,” he says, “I want to build on those stories. You can look forward to a very human, very grounded take on what it’s like to be Black Panther. It’s the story of regret, in many ways.”

Well this interview didn't give away much. What makes him human? It's a story of regret. So we might get another sad and broken, naval gazing T'Challa. While he did mention building on not just Coates but also Hudlin it remains to be seen how he will integrate the two very different approaches and iterations of the Black Panther.

Ridley's interviews continue to worry me. Why didn't he choose to build on Priest, Hudlin, McDuffie? This triumvirate of writers have crafted the definitive T'Challa as T'Challa and T'Challa as BP...with Aaron and Liss rockin important Honorable Mentions. Anybody saying "TurnCoates BP" in such a way that implies such an experience as GOOD, immediately gets the "frown face" from me.

How can you be a serious writer of BP and overlook the 5 I listed above and go straight to Coates? That doesn't bode well for either T'Challa or we the true BP Faithful.

BP doesn't need yet ANOTHER "regret" and "Wakanda could be destroyed!" story. Where's the originality, here? Wakanda has been undefeated for more than a million years. WAKANDA HAS NOTHING TO BE REGRETFUL ABOUT!! Improve upon? Sure. Secrets galore? Mandatorily so. But "regret"? Unless it's: "...I regret not stompin on [ various bad guys ] sooner than I just did..."? Stop it!

T'Challa is Emperor of Five Galaxies. There are 5 galaxies worth of stories to be explored. We the readers would "regret" having a author who didn't write about those incredible opportunities to plumb the depths of a hypercapable T'Challa facing these literally intergalactic threats.

On Earth? T'Challa was chair of The Avengers, led them against the all new and utterly amazing threats that Aaron chronicled. Are you legitimately telling me that Mephisto, Khonshu, Dracula, et al won't try to get some get back on T'Challa for his major role in thwarting their aims?  Those collection of villains alone would try their darndest to make T'Challa "regret" crossing their paths, and we the readers would "regret" not having a writer who didn't explore that!

I'm filled with "regret"...once again...that our own Redjack or R to the H or Priest or SOMEBODY with actual obvious zest and gusto and love for the character who is wholly invested in forever obliterating even the memory of the Coates run and any notion of this...as our Brother Ture put it..."navel-gazing" T'Challa.

Ridley. Give us our powerful, Black Power, Man With The Plan, The Most Dangerous Man Alive T'Challa back. If you do? We'll keep your sales numbers at stupendous levels. Praise your name. All that other good stuff.

If you don't? You'll "regret" it.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: October 20, 2021, 03:26:58 pm »
Latest updates for issue 3/200th issue. Sounds like Tchalla will be going through a "born again" style story.

The problem is Coates gave the impression that he ended high so I guess Ridley thinks he needs to do a deconstruction arc. If it's as good as Unworthy Thor by Aaron it should be fine, but I'm skeptical.

https://comic-watch.com/news/news-watch-black-panther-celebrates-200th-issue-with-giant-sized-spectacular

The second cover is fire though, I'm going for that one.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 03:32:43 pm by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline BlackClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: October 20, 2021, 03:37:12 pm »
If this new guy is more along the lines of Kasper and less along the lines of Ayo and Aneka then we’re good.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - BP Celebrates 200th Issue in January!
« Reply #4957 on: October 21, 2021, 02:57:02 am »
'Black Panther' Celebrates 200th Issue with Giant-Sized Spectacular
John Ridley, Juann Cabal, and more bring you 'Black Panther' #200 this January!
BY MARVEL
This January, the third issue of Academy Award-winning writer John Ridley and Marvel’s Stormbreaker artist Juann Cabal’s highly-anticipated run on BLACK PANTHER will also mark the character’s milestone 200th issue!

To celebrate, BLACK PANTHER #200 will be an oversized issue with bonus stories celebrating the past and foreshadowing the future of the Black Panther and the world of Wakanda. Ridley will also introduce a new hero who rises up to protect the people of Wakanda while T’Challa finds his life and role as Black Panther thrown into turmoil! Fans will be able to witness the beginning of this new hero’s journey before seeing him become a key player of Ridley’s run in future issues.

In addition, the main story in the 200th issue of BLACK PANTHER will see T’Challa face off against the X-Men! With assassins closing in and Wakanda’s faith in him shaken, T’Challa goes to visit Storm on the newly terraformed Mars. But this will not be a happy reunion as T’Challa has ulterior motives for his visit. And back home, Shuri discovers who is behind the attacks on Wakanda’s secret agents—a revelation that will change everything.

Check out the covers now, and pick up BLACK PANTHER #3 when it hits stands on January 26! And stay tuned for announcements about the other creators who will be contributing to this landmark issue!

BLACK PANTHER #3/#200
Written by JOHN RIDLEY & MORE
Art by JUANN CABAL & MORE
Cover by ALEX ROSS
Variant Cover by TAURIN CLARKE
Variant Cover by GARY FRANK

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/black-panther-giant-sized-issue-200-announcement

"Ridley will also introduce a new hero who rises up to protect the people of Wakanda while T’Challa finds his life and role as Black Panther thrown into turmoil!" Not again... Shaking my head. Am I to believe T'Challa is going to be a guest star in his own book just to prop up a new or Coates' established character? Who is it, the X-Men Gentle? A new hero rises, really? Why can't T'Challa the Black Panther rise... especially in his own book?

In addition we have T’Challa face off against the X-Men! Could be good, should be good if done correctly and respectful to T'Challa the Black Panther but reading this "Wakanda’s faith in him shaken, T’Challa goes to visit Storm on the newly terraformed Mars. But this will not be a happy reunion as T’Challa has ulterior motives for his visit." almost makes me think he's going to the planet formerly known as Mars with his cowl in hand asking for help? I hope not.

BP fans and enthusiasts have been through too much with the past several writers to be giving a new writer the unquestioned benefit of the doubt. To be fair I'll wait and read what develops. The covers are great and I really like the second one featuring him solo.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #4958 on: October 21, 2021, 08:23:47 am »
If this new guy is more along the lines of Kasper and less along the lines of Ayo and Aneka then we’re good.

Does anyone remember when I...years back...stated that in almost all likelihood the best foil for T'Challa in this kind of story is...THE GREAT KING T'CHAKA? This challenge would bring incredible conflict to Wakanda and T'Challa, and it would further delineate the differences and distinctions in title and function regarding the Chieftain Black Panther and the King. There would be unending emotional potential here. Ramonda has her one true love returned to her. Hunter has his father back. Wakanda is made all the more fearsome. T'Challa has his father back.

But then? There would definitely be clashes. T'Chaka would insist that Wakanda return to her isolationist policy...and half if not most of Wakanda would agree. What ramifications would that hold? Hunter and the Hatut Zeraze would be reinstated as Secret Police. How would T'Challa...now Emperor and King of the Dead...deal with that? T'Chaka and T'Challa would slowly, inexorably bump heads as each realizes that they are monarchs with very different...and even in some instances diametrically opposed...visions.

This story writes itself. And could easily span 12,15, even 24 issues broken down into 3 issue arcs or 6 8 or12 issue mega arcs where needed.

And yes. This will be the topic of my next fanfic.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline BlackClaw

• View Profile
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - BP Celebrates his 200th Issue with the X-Men
« Reply #4959 on: October 21, 2021, 09:41:58 am »
Epic premise, but personally I’d prefer it if S’yan was the antagonist in this scenario since bringing back T’Chaka is like bringing back Uncle Ben IMO.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4960 on: October 21, 2021, 10:44:02 pm »
True indeed Supreme Illuminati, I remember your premise.

Here's another cover for BP's soon to be released new series.

T'Challa looks like he just landed a vibranium charged punch to the ground. The look on his face and his demeanor while looking at the cover of John Ridley's first issue says it all. Another author out to deconstruct the Black Panther then replace him with a subordinate character who the writer has always seen potential in.

Don't do it John... for Bas/Bast's sake don't do it.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: October 23, 2021, 08:30:52 pm »
This sounds like a premise for a short arc where T’Challa’s motives are quickly revealed to be cunning, brilliant and necessary for the protection of Wakanda and ultimately the world. Unfortunately, I’m afraid Ridley may try to drag this storyline out over 12 or 24 issues, a la Coates whose two big ideas were to deconstruct Wakanda as an enlightened society, instead having it appear as misogynistic and intolerant as everywhere else; while subsequently presenting Wakandans as intergalactic colonists and slavers. I really hope Ridley has more than two ideas for Black Panther and limits this first one to a four issue arc.

Introducing a new, Wakandan hero over a 4 issue arc that still features the titular hero is fine by me, but enough of T’Challa being a guest in his own book. Re-establishing T’Challa as The Black Panther, a warrior-king, national icon, international emissary and kick-ass superhero is what’s called for and with some strong storylines to that end who knows, they might even sell a few books?

My Two Cents!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: October 24, 2021, 09:49:43 am »
I'm wondering if this is the comics and Disney synergizing and preparing the audience for whatever they plan to do with Chadwick Boseman's T'Challa/Black Panther in the next film.

Offline BlackClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: October 24, 2021, 10:10:55 am »
I'm wondering if this is the comics and Disney synergizing and preparing the audience for whatever they plan to do with Chadwick Boseman's T'Challa/Black Panther in the next film.

I was hoping they wouldn’t go full stupid and try to erase T’Challa in every medium but it’s being harder and harder to have faith in them.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: October 24, 2021, 10:15:41 am »

I was hoping they wouldn’t go full stupid and try to erase T’Challa in every medium but it’s being harder and harder to have faith in them.

They might not, or not completely, but I got a feeling they'll want to get their comics aligned with the movies in the thought to sell more to  new readers. But they got to tread carefully in now they treat the traditional Black Panther/T'Challa readers and try to hold on to them as much as they can (or rather they should IMO).