Author Topic: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK #1 Finally, it's here!!!  (Read 1104127 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - BP Celebrates his 200th Issue with the X-Men
« Reply #4980 on: October 25, 2021, 11:02:54 am »
The problem is that they want to overcomplicate T'Challas franchise. Instead of telling good stories of T'Challa being a hero and WHY he is exceptional among a nation of exceptional people, they instead are trying to jump the gun and establish a Wakandaverse the same way dceu tried to quickly catch up to a marvel.

Rush jobs like that dont work because the people employed to create these stories are not invested in the characters what so ever. So they throw together halfhearted stories that diminish the characters or use OCs to push narratives or "make their marks" on the franchise and again, it's half hearted and subpar.

This is one of the mistakes are by marvel by employing Coates and giving his carte blanche over the franchise, Instead of giving the book to Redjack. Would RJ have had a 300k number 1 for his BP run? Probably not, but it would of been over 100k and the difference would of been that the book would of sustained higher sales over the course of his time, would of had a greater effect on the MU, would of had more successful spin offs (especially if he had the same type control of choice over who got to get books) and T'Challa would of been in a much better place than he is now WITH the benefit of a better established cast who could do their own stuff and better tech feats 

Agreed. It reminds me of how Disney is doing Star Wars. They think the world or galaxy of Star Wars is what kept fans coming back and the characters could be interchangeable. They learned a hard lesson that it's the characters that people fell in love with and not just the galaxy around them. If you make a strong, appealing T'Challa, everything else will then be the icing on the cake, but you got to do a great job baking the cake.

And T'Challa already has a lot going for him, thanks to everyone from McGregor to Hudlin, and I would throw in Maberry, Liss, Aaron, and Hickman as well, that have laid the foundation. Now Marvel just needs competent creators who can do something interesting with all those great ingredients.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: October 25, 2021, 12:56:59 pm »
It’s just a super frustrating time to be a fan of this character. It’s really getting to a point where at times I wish the damn movie would’ve never been made if I had known all of this would happen. I’m just hoping Ridley can prove us all wrong.

That's a sign you need to walk away from comics and comic based movies for a few years. You're too heavily invested and taking it personally. After 'Siege' I didn't pay attention to comics until they announced the relaunch.

I agree. Don't let it mess with you like that. I think walking away is the best thing. I also recommend getting into more indie black comics if you aren't already.

I've largely stopped reading Marvel and DC (though I've picked up some of more recent Batman stuff, in part to see what was up with the black Batman), and I did subscribe for Ridley's BP run, the first time in years that I've done so.

Marvel has been undercutting T'Challa along with its other black superheroes basically since the moment of their creations. In many ways things have gotten better over the last 10-15 years, but still there's a lot of work to be done.

You gotta get in on those Milestone books those things are magical. And Miles Morales Spiderman is the one of the best long running black character books around.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: October 25, 2021, 01:37:49 pm »

Bingo. Why Redjack never got the go ahead from Marvel is a mystery for the ages. The only reason why Batman has a mountain of successful spin offs is because writers understand that Bruce Wayne is the anchor for the franchise. He’s the heart and soul of it and all roads lead back to him. T’Challa is the same way but unfortunately Marvel wants to put the cart before the horse, especially now that T’Chadwick is gone.

Either Redjack pissed the wrong higher-up off, or they're just blind.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: October 25, 2021, 06:15:36 pm »
Fair enough, but obviously sales didn't sink enough for them to take Coates off the book. Even DC took Tom King off Batman, but Marvel stuck by Coates, and I would argue, because they had a bigger goal and that's in deconstructing and rebuilding the new non-toxic male version of Black Panther, if not outright replace or diminish the character in favor of Shuri or another female or non-straight male character.

Coates fell into cancelation zone multiple times. In S2 they had to do a deal with comic stores to order a certain amount of the book to get the sales up, then they did a renumbering to bring up sales right before S2 ended just to AGAIN renumber the space arc as a new number 1 to get up sales. Given how sharply then book fell, and the fact that when covid hit and delayed all of marvels books, Coates book was the only one that didn't resume after they started up their books again, pointed that Marvel didn't have faith in the book and were desperately trying to inflate the sales by having it start up around February the following year. Marvel tries hard to get new fans that they isolate the core fans that keep the book afloat by catering to those who don't care

Not disputing what you said here, but the fact is they didn't yank him off the book like DC did with Tom King, and that's what I was getting at. They kept backing Coates, either to save face or because, despite the poor sales, it looked good for their brand and Coates was putting the idea of a neutered black male superhero out there which I think many at Marvel are more comfortable with. It's like going back to some of our old discussions about feminist genre movies that don't do well, but they still keep making them because its in line with Hollywood's values. Or bringing back up Batwoman. Despite it's perennially bad ratings, they keep greenlighting that series, so that says to me it's not just about money or even fan reaction or lack thereof, there's something more that Batwoman, etc. is doing for them. (To be fair, Batwoman this season has started off better IMO than the last two seasons; and I like Javicia Leslie in the role. It's just the writing is often very bad. I can deal with so-so production values or even action, but the writing has been the big Achilles heel for this series from jump).

I think it had to d with backlash, given how much people got on marvel for the crew book being cancelled immediately, and when people got on marvel for canceling Gays BP Wow. Honestly, they should of axed him after S2 and pulled Redjack onboard. It would of been a clean break.

But it's interesting because when he got the Cap book, he not nor nearly able to get away with half the stuff they let him do for BP

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: October 25, 2021, 06:20:58 pm »
The problem is that they want to overcomplicate T'Challas franchise. Instead of telling good stories of T'Challa being a hero and WHY he is exceptional among a nation of exceptional people, they instead are trying to jump the gun and establish a Wakandaverse the same way dceu tried to quickly catch up to a marvel.

Rush jobs like that dont work because the people employed to create these stories are not invested in the characters what so ever. So they throw together halfhearted stories that diminish the characters or use OCs to push narratives or "make their marks" on the franchise and again, it's half hearted and subpar.

This is one of the mistakes are by marvel by employing Coates and giving his carte blanche over the franchise, Instead of giving the book to Redjack. Would RJ have had a 300k number 1 for his BP run? Probably not, but it would of been over 100k and the difference would of been that the book would of sustained higher sales over the course of his time, would of had a greater effect on the MU, would of had more successful spin offs (especially if he had the same type control of choice over who got to get books) and T'Challa would of been in a much better place than he is now WITH the benefit of a better established cast who could do their own stuff and better tech feats 

Agreed. It reminds me of how Disney is doing Star Wars. They think the world or galaxy of Star Wars is what kept fans coming back and the characters could be interchangeable. They learned a hard lesson that it's the characters that people fell in love with and not just the galaxy around them. If you make a strong, appealing T'Challa, everything else will then be the icing on the cake, but you got to do a great job baking the cake.

And T'Challa already has a lot going for him, thanks to everyone from McGregor to Hudlin, and I would throw in Maberry, Liss, Aaron, and Hickman as well, that have laid the foundation. Now Marvel just needs competent creators who can do something interesting with all those great ingredients.

If they really do kill off T'Challa without leaving the door open for a Recast for the 3rd Movie then I feel they need to learn that lesson that star wars did as well. This is not a franchise that can just move on without T'Challa and expect to be successful. Not at this stage. Maybe after a full trilogy aBD soon off shows but thats only after T'Challa has a full arc told to completion.

Though I also gave a feeling that now that Chadwick is gone and given the choice's and what we have heard (however limited) it appears that Wakanda going forward without a recast will equal a severely diminished presence in the MCU. And only be used when a red shirt army is needed

Offline BlackClaw

• Yes my teeth and ambitions are bared! Be prepared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: October 25, 2021, 09:22:47 pm »

If they really do kill off T'Challa without leaving the door open for a Recast for the 3rd Movie then I feel they need to learn that lesson that star wars did as well. This is not a franchise that can just move on without T'Challa and expect to be successful. Not at this stage. Maybe after a full trilogy aBD soon off shows but thats only after T'Challa has a full arc told to completion.

Though I also gave a feeling that now that Chadwick is gone and given the choice's and what we have heard (however limited) it appears that Wakanda going forward without a recast will equal a severely diminished presence in the MCU. And only be used when a red shirt army is needed

They better use the multiverse and bring in a variant of T’Challa for bp3. That’s all I have to say.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK
« Reply #4986 on: November 18, 2021, 08:26:30 pm »
Black Panther, Hulk, Hawkeye and More Relaunch in This Week's Marvel Releases
Captain America and Iron Man team up while Black Panther, Hulk and Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) all relaunch with new series this week from Marvel Comics.

BY SEAN GRIBBIN

November 24 marks a week of new beginnings and epic one-shots for Marvel Comics readers to enjoy.

This upcoming Wednesday, numerous titles will launch, kickstarting brand new adventures for Earth's mightiest heroes. From ongoing to limited series and one-shot issues, fan-favorite characters like Black Panther, Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Hawkeye and more will be featured in stories that will stretch from New York into deep space and galaxies even farther away.

Full article here

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-black-panther-hulk-hawkeye-captain-america-iron-man-new-series/

More comic news.

BLACK PANTHER #4
JOHN RIDLEY (W) • JUANN CABAL (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS
Variant Cover by STEPHANIE HANS • X-Gwen Variant Cover by PHIL NOTO
Stormbreakers Variant Cover by JOSHUA CASSARA
"THE LONG SHADOW" PART 4
Shuri's life hangs in the balance, and with T'Challa off-planet, things are not looking good! But before T'Challa can help his sister…the truth will finally come out. Has the assassin's ringleader finally been caught?!

courtesy of CBR's BlackClaw

courtesy of CBR's Dboi654

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK
« Reply #4987 on: November 19, 2021, 08:43:57 am »

BLACK PANTHER #4
JOHN RIDLEY (W) • JUANN CABAL (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS
Variant Cover by STEPHANIE HANS • X-Gwen Variant Cover by PHIL NOTO
Stormbreakers Variant Cover by JOSHUA CASSARA

“THE LONG SHADOW” PART 4
Shuri’s life hangs in the balance, and with T’Challa off-planet, things are not looking good! But before T’Challa can help his sister…the truth will finally come out. Has the assassin’s ringleader finally been caught?!
56 PGS./Rated T+ …$5.99

They are delivering some nice covers, lets hope the stories measure up to T'Challa the Black Panther's potential. Just days away til we find out.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Preview!
« Reply #4988 on: November 19, 2021, 05:03:47 pm »

Well, this preview was underwhelming and reeked of recycled team Avengers versus the berserking horde trope. Fortunately this is at the beginning and while we get this rather generic battle out of the way early, it will be better if this somehow connects to the main narrative. If not, that was five wasted pages that could have been used to show the Black Panther flexing in a new and unique manner. T'Challa's voice (both internal and external) did not ring true to me. It read like a somewhat healed, slightly more confident iteration of Coatesverse T'Challa... and of he, we no longer speak.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK #1 Preview
« Reply #4989 on: November 20, 2021, 12:45:40 am »
Seems fine to start with. Has more of a EMH or Avengers Assemble feel to it.

Coates started with him on one knee bleeding, I'll take this as a good sign. Lol

Also good to see he's 'leading' an Avengers team. When Aaron writes it he usually defers to Cap. Lol
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 02:28:29 am by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK #1 Preview
« Reply #4990 on: November 21, 2021, 04:47:18 pm »
Seems fine to start with. Has more of a EMH or Avengers Assemble feel to it.

Coates started with him on one knee bleeding, I'll take this as a good sign. Lol

Also good to see he's 'leading' an Avengers team. When Aaron writes it he usually defers to Cap. Lol

I agree, it was interesting to see Cap taking field direction from T’Challa. Might have missed it, but I don’t recall seeing that before?

Peace,

Mont

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: November 22, 2021, 09:06:10 am »
It’s just a super frustrating time to be a fan of this character. It’s really getting to a point where at times I wish the damn movie would’ve never been made if I had known all of this would happen. I’m just hoping Ridley can prove us all wrong.

That's a sign you need to walk away from comics and comic based movies for a few years. You're too heavily invested and taking it personally. After 'Siege' I didn't pay attention to comics until they announced the relaunch.

I agree. Don't let it mess with you like that. I think walking away is the best thing. I also recommend getting into more indie black comics if you aren't already.

I've largely stopped reading Marvel and DC (though I've picked up some of more recent Batman stuff, in part to see what was up with the black Batman), and I did subscribe for Ridley's BP run, the first time in years that I've done so.

Marvel has been undercutting T'Challa along with its other black superheroes basically since the moment of their creations. In many ways things have gotten better over the last 10-15 years, but still there's a lot of work to be done.

You gotta get in on those Milestone books those things are magical. And Miles Morales Spiderman is the one of the best long running black character books around.

I really hope Static’s book gets a different writer for the next volume, Vita is still trash as a writer and I am baffled at how she got the job

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK #1 First Review
« Reply #4992 on: November 22, 2021, 08:53:43 pm »
‘Black Panther’ #1 gets right down to business
An exciting first step in next chapter of T’Challa’s story.
Robert Reed

“So… let’s just get right to it. No hesitating. No holding back. Why save anything for later? I live for this.”

And like that, we’re off in a new era of Black Panther. Academy Award-winning writer John Ridley and artist Juann Cabal’s new series starts off fast paced and rarely relents. Picking up after where the run by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Brian Stelfreeze, and Daniel Acuña left off, Ridley and Cabal find T’Challa bogged down with numerous commitments, some public — like being the current chairperson of the Avengers and a king in a nation that is testing out democracy — and some more private and less savory.

After a brief foray with the Avengers, readers see T’Challa attending a meeting of the new Wakandan Parliament. An echoing of dialogue plays throughout, with letterer Joe Sabino not tethering any of the word balloons to any particular figures in Juann Cabal’s image, helping sell the cacophony of discussions, with Ridley repeating “A commission to study the effects of…” It’s clear through both the dialogue and art that Wakanda’s foray into democracy is not going smoothly. When Akili, leader of Wakanda’s Hatut Zeraze remarks that “Democracy is a process,” T’Challa responds pointedly, “And so is digging a ditch. But debating the action is no substitute for putting shovel to earth.”

The T’Challa of Black Panther #1 feels far more assertive, and perhaps a little headstrong in comparison to the character in Coates’ run. I don’t normally like comparing takes on characters when creative teams change, but it’s a noticeable shift that readers, especially those that began with the preceding volume may find jarring. Part of this is Ridley’s use of captions, or rather a lack thereof. Outside of the opening and final pages, there are no captions that allow the readers inside of T’Challa’s head, creating a bit of mystique. You don’t quite know exactly what T’Challa is thinking in every moment, and that adds to the mystique of an espionage plot. Also involved are a pair of new characters who are immediately charming thanks to the art by Juann Cabal and color artist Federico Blee, who introduce the new faces in a wordless, romantic embrace.

Juann Cabal also provides the few moments of insight into T’Challa’s mood, from the calm yet firm way he leaves the meeting in parliament, to the emotions he goes through when he learns of an attack on one of his agents. In particular there’s a panel where T’Challa clearly zones in emotionally, like an elite boxer ala Terence Crawford or Errol Spence Jr. It’s the face fighters make when they’re ready to go for the kill. Cabal’s artwork brings T’Challa to life as a no-nonsense leader who has a few secrets of his own.

Without spoiling exactly what some of those secrets are, they reflect a seemingly conscious decision by the creators to syncretize the T’Challa of the preceding Coates/Stelfreeze era with some of the characteristics that made the T’Challa of Christopher Priest and Sal Velluto so iconic. The lack of trust T’Challa has for the outside world is on display, with him pointing out, “Dictators don’t pretend to be more than they are. Democracies pretend to be free and fair when they are not. In the course of an election, they can transform from being allies to adversaries.”

That being said, not everything in Black Panther #1 is successful. The dialogue at times feels stilted and sometimes a bit casual for the characters. Being the lead, T’Challa bears the brunt of this, but it also affects characters like Captain America. What the characters say worked for me, but how they said it didn’t always feel in character. There’s also a scene towards the end of the book that feels a bit cliché in its execution, and plays as if Ridley and Cabal are just trying to get through a plot development as quickly as possible. It’s not something that kills the book’s momentum, but it’s a weak moment in an issue that otherwise moves at a steady clip.

Overall, this is an exciting first step in next chapter of T’Challa’s story. While not quite a perfect start, John Ridley and Juann Cabal set a determined pace and center T’Challa as someone who relishes being a hero and king — perhaps a bit too much.

Rating 8 Good

Black Panther #1 Synopsis

Overall, this is an exciting first step in next chapter of T'Challa's story. While not quite a perfect start, John Ridley and Juann Cabal set a determined pace and center T'Challa as someone who relishes being a hero and king -- perhaps a bit too much.

Juann Cabal's artwork helps establish T'Challa's demeanor and brings life to the new characters.
John Ridley's script sets the stage quickly, and the critiques of democracy are both pointed and fitting for a hero that is also a monarch. Some of the dialogue doesn't quite work. A scene towards the issue's end is a bit cliché.

Reader Rating 1 Vote

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/11/22/black-panther-1-review/

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: November 23, 2021, 04:37:09 am »
I'm seeing other positive early reviews.

This one has plot spoilers

https://butwhythopodcast.com/2021/11/22/advanced-review-black-panther-issue-1/
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: November 24, 2021, 01:15:36 am »
I'm going to give it an 8-8.5. There is nothing blow your socks off(unless it's your first time reading BP) the main plot is good and something we've probably theorized should be happening anyway. Although there is one aspect that was crazy in a good and funny way. A true Priest level plan. Lol.

Definitely better written than Coates, the dialogue is much more natural. There is one "meta" moment that doesn't fit, but Tchallas' dialogue counters it pretty well.

I would say it's more of a Hudlin Tchalla with Priest/Gillan story potential.

If he can hold this the story should be fine.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 02:31:16 am by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-