Author Topic: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!  (Read 1315705 times)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The other thing to note is that I 100% have no doubt on my mind that if they killed T'Challa and replaced him with Shuri, they would pull a Hector Ayala and Ava Ayala situation out of it.

If Shuri was able to get a successful ongoing with her and build her up as her own legacy character turn hero, on. Could see them leaving T'Challa dead and continuing the franchise with Shuri as the title character. They have demonstrated a lack of respect for the character despite what all he can offer and the glass ceilings he has shattered.

Ironically, because they don't want to spend the time to actually develop T'Challa and give him good writers who will elevate him and his world and instead hire these guys who want to push their pet characters and can't write a comprehensive story to save their life, it's about the only thing keeping him from forever limbo or being the new origin story for Shuris take over of the franchise.

Only T'Challa sells, at B list level currently and that won't change until they get a good writer (Redjack) who can and will take him to a new precipice

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The other thing to note is that I 100% have no doubt on my mind that if they killed T'Challa and replaced him with Shuri, they would pull a Hector Ayala and Ava Ayala situation out of it.

If Shuri was able to get a successful ongoing with her and build her up as her own legacy character turn hero, on. Could see them leaving T'Challa dead and continuing the franchise with Shuri as the title character. They have demonstrated a lack of respect for the character despite what all he can offer and the glass ceilings he has shattered.

Ironically, because they don't want to spend the time to actually develop T'Challa and give him good writers who will elevate him and his world and instead hire these guys who want to push their pet characters and can't write a comprehensive story to save their life, it's about the only thing keeping him from forever limbo or being the new origin story for Shuris take over of the franchise.

Only T'Challa sells, at B list level currently and that won't change until they get a good writer (Redjack) who can and will take him to a new precipice

I see what you're saying about the Ayala's. If Marvel could find a way to sell Shuri as THE Black Panther going forward, they would. Looking at how they've handled Storm, Monica Rambeau, and other black women characters though that doesn't mean that any Shuri as the one Black Panther fans should be cheering. Shuri's last solo title didn't go long and Marvel doesn't have a good record at all of sustaining black female characters in solo books or even putting out that many miniseries. So they are sort of stuck with using the relatively more popular and more financially successful black male characters like T'Challa or Falcon to then slip in black female characters and IMO use those characters sometimes to cannibalize from the black male characters. Nighthawk comes to mind, and we saw how well Tilda Johnson's Nighthawk fared, which was worse than the already anemic male Nighthawk, both from the pen of David F. Walker.

If they were able to find a way to make Shuri as BP work, it would be very interesting to see how they would deal with black males in those books. I could see them mainly being subservient positive males or toxic oppositional ones. We might learn that Shuri is bisexual or LGBTQ to eliminate the prospect of a male love interest (because even if she's presented as bisexual, I could see Marvel focusing more on female love interests). We might also get many characters talking about how much better she is than T'Challa, T'Chaka, or the male BPs. Males would not be allowed to shine at all in her book lest it raise the dreaded fear of the patriarchy taking over the book and dredging up fears of black women always being marginalized in favor of black men.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I give this about a five. Better dialogue, but its circular. Essentially the same talking points as the previous issue. Other positive, Storm and Tchalla are officially back to just being friends.

The big negatives are the story has fallen apart logically. Tchalla taking blame for things any leader would have done and as little as two issues ago nobody had any real issue with as far as the sleeper agents. The PM didn't like it, but she excepted it happened while he was in charge. The real villain in this second half of the story is Shuri(not story wise. lol). She is a poor investigator and has led Tchalla to the position he is in now. Which given that he will be in the next arc I'm guessing he'll be close to Liss's version.

The arc should have ended with issue 4 and Omonolo being the villain like they suspected. Then epilogue for the the 5th. Ridley has tried to make the story bigger than what it needed to be for the second half and its has fallen apart from a logic perspective.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Better dialogue? Cville... My man... This dialogue is as bad as Coates... A 5... I Hope you mean out of 100 because 5/10 is way too generous... Ridley really had our mans begging the MA for help... This was a COMPLETE hit job on T'Challas character.

A return to Coates everyone talking down to T'Challa and him hanging his head in shame, even the added bonus of having Coates MA come back to get in on it too. Him back to saying he doesn't want to be King being blamed for stuff that others did or that any leader would do. Being called a failure... This ontop of what the MCU is planning to do to T'Challa really it the Darkest timeline...

I don't know who this character is.. but this ain't T'Challa. The real T'Challa had been guest starring all throughout the 616 and was leading the Avengers.. this is T'Chumpa 2.0, Ridley literally retold Coates same story beats and amplified them further in this mess of a story. This book needs to burn.

I legitimately hate this book and genuinely believe this is designed to alienate longtime fans in favor of trying to pivot to MCU synergy. There's no reason anyone would like this book. Especially fans of the Character. It's character assassination and a literal retread of Coates failed work but somehow MORE disjointed than Coates story.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 10:01:17 am by Ezyo »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Better dialogue? Cville... My man... This dialogue is as bad as Coates... A 5... I Hope you mean out of 100 because 5/10 is way too generous... Ridley really had our mans begging the MA for help... This was a COMPLETE hit job on T'Challas character.

A return to Coates everyone talking down to T'Challa and him hanging his head in shame, even the added bonus of having Coates MA come back to get in on it too. Him back to saying he doesn't want to be King being blamed for stuff that others did or that any leader would do. Being called a failure... This ontop of what the MCU is planning to do to T'Challa really it the Darkest timeline...

I don't know who this character is.. but this ain't T'Challa. The real T'Challa had been guest starring all throughout the 616 and was leading the Avengers.. this is T'Chumpa 2.0, Ridley literally retold Coates same story beats and amplified them further in this mess of a story. This book needs to burn.

Better as in he's not doing those deadpan one word/phrase reactions that make him seem like he grew up in an average American city.

T'challa calls himself a failure in Priest all the time and people dump on him all the time, thats nothing new since as far back as McGregor.

I can't compare Ridley to Coates. Rape camps, meeting with dictators, Shuri saying its okay to be raped, poetic words that don't really mean anything. Ridley is still far away from him. He really needs a better editor. I don't see how they just let these holes make it into the final product with only one issue to go.

This might actually be the most peaceful takeover/attempted takeover we've had. The Desturi bombed they're way to power, Killmonger let dinosaurs loose in the city. Priests' story had border skirmishes with the refugees. There still a fight in the next issue to go, but so far, Wakanda has been unaffected by these political shifts.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 10:15:15 am by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
SPOILERS WARNING!   SPOILERS WARNING!   SPOILERS WARNING!   SPOILERS WARNING!  SPOILERS WARNING!

You thought Coates' sad sack T'Challa version was bad, then prepare to be impressed with a master's class in self depravity and impuissance.

The opening lines are "I want to be very clear about something. What's  happening now: This isn't about Black Panther. This is about Wakanda."

A few more quotables floating through this abysmal issue are "T'Challa is a traitor."  "I don't trust T'Challa to help anyone but himself and right now I don't think T'Challa can even do that." "A man drunk with power is capable of anything." Tell on yourself much Ridley?

As I quote a cousin of mine "I can show you better than I can tell you."

"T'Challa is broken in a way I've never seen before." Shuri's got that right. Each comic is drawing out the big broke back A.G.E.N.D.A reveal about Ridley's variant T'Challa... coming soon as 12 Issues A Slave continues.

I didn't know they did all that to Tony, but as for the other examples, one thing that sticks out to me is that they often (particularly where Superman and Batman are concerned) demonstrated was how important Clark and Bruce were as opposed to others taking on their mantles or filling in for them. I don't think we get the same kind of respect for T'Challa.

Absolutely quoted for truth Emperorjones.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I read Issue 7 a little while ago, and I think Ridley should've titled his first arc "The Long Con" instead of "The Long Shadow". I had such high hopes after reading the first issue, but that's all but evaporated now. The seventh issue fully descends into Coates's territory, and perhaps is even worse because Coates was more up front about his self-flagellation masquerading as comic book writing. About the only thing I think worked for this issue was the artwork. Overall, I've liked the artwork for Ridley's run, though I enjoyed the artwork in the Coates's books I've read, seen, more.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Basically everyone dumps on T'Challa in this issue, and he generally agrees with them, begs the Dora Milaje for help and promises that he will not return to the throne, which seals the deal for them. Ridley does slide a little verbiage in later that gave T'Challa some wiggle room around that promise and would allow a more Machiavellian take on the character to take advantage of, but I don't see Ridley's T'Challa has being that cunning.

His T'Challa mostly sits on his hands, is "broken" as Shuri describes him, and lets people front on him. Ridley, perhaps at the behest of the X-Office explicitly states that T'Challa and Storm are friends and no longer partners, and for a parting shot, she refuses to forgive her "love" after he asks for forgiveness. Look, I haven't read a good deal of T'Challa's stories under the pens of Hickman, Aaron, or Coates, and others of the Coates's era but I don't get what T'Challa has done that is so bad that he has to apologize so darn much, and everyone is dumping on him like this. He's not pushing back at all, plus I feel like he's magnifying the threat posed by Akili, who is a lackluster villain.

I got a January 6th vibe from this issue, and it feels like Ridley is trying to contort Wakanda to express his thoughts on that, but Akili is far less a compelling and charismatic ignitor, and the motivations are barely there to have a robust, thought-provoking examination of what led to January 6th. It's just T'Challa's bad and just about everyone says so. The prime minister puts the blame at the feet of both T'Challa and Akili, two "men" she makes clear to point out.

Ridley provides a poor reason, and another dig at T'Challa to explain away the absence of the Avengers. Seems like he would call on them, and that they would help, but I take it that Ridley's T'Challa wants to keep things in house to better cover up his failures. The idea that the Avengers would let Wakanda be taken over by Akili and not lift a finger, or that T'Challa (who is depicted as very desperate) would not even ask for help, also makes him very vain, prideful, and foolish. Ridley's Storm isn't doing much either or offering the X-Men. She's just there to be another person taking him down. (I will give Ridley this that he has Akili say that T'Challa is in league with mutants, but I would rather have had Storm offer help and T'Challa reject it, or even Storm offer and then rescind it because the X-Men's involvement would play into Akili's hands, but we didn't get that; we only got Akili's accusation but no build up that would give that charge any validity).

Tosin also jumps into the fray to defend Wakanda's democracy. He's the only male character that's allowed to push back (and not be labeled a failure, screw up, or bad), and I reason that's because he's Ridley's pet character. It's like Ridley is chumping T'Challa to put Tosin on. And I feel like Ridley should be writing a Tosin series, a kind of World of Wakanda book, rather than the mainline BP title.

Seven issues in and we have yet another civil war, more male vs. female strife, T'Challa has lost his throne and is considered either a traitor or a failure. There are no cool new supervillains, nothing that really builds on T'Challa as Black Panther. It's just been a lot of taking away. I am glad this arc will finally be over in the eighth issue, but after that, I don't know where Ridley will go with the book after. He's torched a great deal.

I speculate that Wakanda will be a full democracy, and T'Challa might go into exile or rejoin the Avengers. Tosin, with Shuri's aid, will become the new defenders of Wakanda.

A few other things...

What's the deal with the Wakandan with blonde hair? That came off like a nod to the intersectional BLM/"woke" wave in black entertainment these days. People I surmise would on board with deconstructing the toxic black male T'Challa.

Also, when I think about Storm refusing to forgive T'Challa. She has a right not too, but I wonder has she ever drawn as hard a line against any mutant? She's got freaking Magneto on her X-Men: Red team right now. She's willing to forgive him enough to work with him, but not the man she still calls her "love"?

I do feel this story should've been no longer than 5 issues and if Omolola had been the villain that might have worked better. She had more of a personal, easier to understand, stake in exposing the sleepers and getting revenge against T'Challa that would've spared us another coup/civil war storyline. Or the resolution of that arc could've then led to the second arc where we see T'Challa exposed, Wakanda embarrassed
and we could then have Akili more logically turn his back on T'Challa as well as the Prime Minister
. That doesn't change their point of contention, their differing visions of Wakanda, but it sets it up better IMO. I do think it was a mistake as well though not to just have Hunter as the mastermind behind everything and we could've had a Black Panther/Captain America team up by now.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 12:19:10 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Black Panther Finally Came to Terms with His Past - And It Cost Him Everything

http://www.cbr.com/black-panther-admits-wrong-gives-up-throne-dora-milaje-marvel/

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Better as in he's not doing those deadpan one word/phrase reactions that make him seem like he grew up in an average American city.

T'challa calls himself a failure in Priest all the time and people dump on him all the time, thats nothing new since as far back as McGregor.

I can't compare Ridley to Coates. Rape camps, meeting with dictators, Shuri saying its okay to be raped, poetic words that don't really mean anything. Ridley is still far away from him. He really needs a better editor. I don't see how they just let these holes make it into the final product with only one issue to go.

This might actually be the most peaceful takeover/attempted takeover we've had. The Desturi bombed they're way to power, Killmonger let dinosaurs loose in the city. Priests' story had border skirmishes with the refugees. There still a fight in the next issue to go, but so far, Wakanda has been unaffected by these political shifts.

Most peaceful yet the most damaging and worst writing of T'Challa ever seen. Apparently he is just broken and can't be fixed. He is almost at IGEW pathetic as Njadaka where is wasn't a triumphant Victory when T'Challa killed him, but the equivalence of one putting an animal out of it's misery

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Black Panther Finally Came to Terms with His Past - And It Cost Him Everything

http://www.cbr.com/black-panther-admits-wrong-gives-up-throne-dora-milaje-marvel/

Pardon my language, but that has got to be the dumbest Sh*t I have ever read from one of these bloggers. What a laughably stupid article and the person writing it had clearly displays a lack of knowledge of BP lore. What is with bloggers of today who just try and worship whatever dumpster fire nonsense that gets spewed out of the big two these days?

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
That's other people's opinion of him. He doesn't say that he's broken. Kasper era Tchalla seemed much more broken. He walked around in a bath robe most of the time. Lol. He only came back to normal at the end because the book got canceled and they moved him to Avengers.

I see ya'll need to re-read Coates if anyone thinks this is the worst written. If the cover for issue 9 is accurate hes back in a BP suit. So either they work something out where he's BP, but not King which hasn't meant anything anyway because he's supposed to have only been ceremonial. Or he's David Liss BP and he's just calling himself BP with no connection to Wakanda.

And really he dosen't need to be King because he's already an Emperor. Lol

And Akili is not technically a villain yet. He gave up his power too. He asked for it back after Tchalla escaped custody. So if Tchalla had went along this wouldn't be happening. And like the Hatute issue Ridley messed by setting up that they were going to continue the investigation and then forgetting about it. So Akili is seizing power due to as he sees it, a potential traitor in Tchalla and a weak head of state in the PM.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 01:27:24 pm by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
It doesn't matter what one prefers... whether its Priest's constipation, Coates' diarrhea or Ripley's stool. Fecal matter is fecal matter and T'Challa the Black Panther is unworthy of it despite who authors it.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Coates is by far the worst BP writer of all time. However, Coates made his intentions clear of what he thought of T'Challa from the jump. Ridley did a bait and switch. The rape and all that isht is still the worst. I guess let me clarify my stance, this isn't the worst of all time, but the worst of the series and is second ONLY to Coates.

He doesn't have to say he is broken, he is acting like it. Begging for forgiveness, mopping around, sitting on his hands while everyone else does all thee heavy lifting etc. At this point, I genuinely believe Ridley had jack **** for T'Challa and Jhais relationship. It is so thinly portrayed and 7 issues in and we still don't know what makes Jhai so important. It's all off panel yet we are supposed to pretend it's super important. Kasper Cole era T'Challa had a REAL reason to be depressed.

Dude watched his future self die due to an inoperable brain aneurysm that he too was suffering from, damn near killed a child as he was slowly losing his sanity, and yet despite all of that, he still came off like a badass. And he was RESPECTED by characters, even the ones who didn't agree with him, they knew he was not ont to Frak with. In Ridley's book the Disrespect from everyone is ASTRONOMICAL. And quite frankly nauseating. But only a Black man is allowed to be treated this way with what I have no doubt on my mind will be a mediocre ending that ends in a wimper with Coates level dejected acceptance of whatever BS these OCs who have hijacked the book believe is his punishment despite all of them being worse than him yet are exempt from any sort of consequence.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
This guy has figured it out. I'm sharing this one on my Facebook groups.

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/07/06/black-panther-7-review/
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I was just about to post that review. This reviewer hits the nail on the head and shows why this book is nonsensical and just downright Insulting.

Though HERE is the true reason we are being fed this horrendous run, unsurprisingly, there's a reason for it and it's going to be why THIS fails as well.

https://aiptcomics.com/ezoimgfmt/i0.wp.com/aiptcomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/WAKANDA2022001_cov-scaled.jpg?resize=768%2C1166&ssl=1&ezimgfmt=ng:webp/ngcb1