Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!  (Read 1426104 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
EXCLUSIVE: Hawkgirl Beats the Snot Out of Green Lantern in 'Beware My Power' Clip

http://www.cbr.com/hawkgirl-fights-green-lantern-in-beware-my-power-clip-dc/#:~:text=John%20Stewart%2FGreen%20Lantern%20gets%20his%20snot%20beaten%20out,Lantern%20ring%20when%20he%20is%20interrupted%20by%20Hawkgirl.

When I saw this headline, what Ridley is doing on Black Panther is bigger than just Black Panther. I was eager to see the John Stewart movie until I saw this headline. I don't know the context, but the way the writer is crowing about this, a black (male) hero being beaten down (and so badly that the Justice League has to help him) in a movie that he's supposedly the star of just goes to show how "natural" some think it is to have helpless and neutered black (and particularly black male) superheroes. Whatever positive intentions were behind giving Stewart a solo film-if there were any (and that's debatable)-is robbed by having him beaten down by a fellow Justice Leaguer (and notably a (white) female) to boot.

After viewing the scene, the headline is way overblown. Hawkgirl does have the better of him, but she never actually touches him. That said, we do seem him afraid and he is rescued by Green Arrow. And that doesn't put Stewart in the best light either. It should've been a time to show how resourceful he can be without his ring, not that he had to be saved. But instead, they wanted to show how much more powerful Hawkgirl was than him, with girl power/feminism being the thing they wanted to put across. They might as well have just made a Hawkgirl animated film.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Definitely overblown, but also a very poor showing of John. That's not how you get fans to root for the main character. I have a feeling that Arrow is going to possibly overshadow John in that movie. Would love to be proven wrong but the simple fact that they chose not only to show that clip as the tease, but even mad rot in the first place. Dashes hope that he will be respected

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!
« Reply #5252 on: July 22, 2022, 09:14:16 pm »
They can't possibly expect us to buy this.

BLACK PANTHER #10

JOHN RIDLEY (W) • GERMÁN PERALTA (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS

VARIANT COVER BY TBA • GAMES VARIANT COVER BY NETEASE

The devastating finale of “RANGE WARS”!

While the Colonialist keeps the Avengers busy fighting his army, he sends his most dangerous lieutenant, the Buffalo Soldier, to deal with T’Challa. With advanced weaponry that can damage vibranium, T’Challa must think fast if he hopes to survive this fight and keep Earth from becoming the latest acquisition of the Colonialist!

courtesy of CBR's KingNomarch

Hopefully the finale of Ridley's tenure on Black Panther. Some might say well a least he is still Black Panther, wearing the garb... but we learned... never settle for the least.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 09:16:59 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline BlackClaw

• Yes my teeth and ambitions are bared! Be prepared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: July 23, 2022, 05:58:56 am »
Please let Ridley be gone after this. Good lord this run has been trash.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: July 23, 2022, 11:27:58 am »
They can't possibly expect us to buy this.

BLACK PANTHER #10

JOHN RIDLEY (W) • GERMÁN PERALTA (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS

VARIANT COVER BY TBA • GAMES VARIANT COVER BY NETEASE

The devastating finale of “RANGE WARS”!

While the Colonialist keeps the Avengers busy fighting his army, he sends his most dangerous lieutenant, the Buffalo Soldier, to deal with T’Challa. With advanced weaponry that can damage vibranium, T’Challa must think fast if he hopes to survive this fight and keep Earth from becoming the latest acquisition of the Colonialist!

courtesy of CBR's KingNomarch

Hopefully the finale of Ridley's tenure on Black Panther. Some might say well a least he is still Black Panther, wearing the garb... but we learned... never settle for the least.

The Alex Ross art is as great as ever. That's basically it for compliments. The Colonialist should've been the big bad from the first issue on and if that had been (or might be) the case we should've seen them around the fourth or fifth issue, maybe sooner. Don't care at all for sliming the legacy of Buffalo Soldiers by naming the Colonialist's flunky after them. David Liss pitted Black Panther against the Hatemonger but Ridley is creating a conflict between T'Challa and a man named after the Buffalo Soldiers? What gives?

For those fans who are trying to find comfort in T'Challa still being Black Panther and wearing the suit, this blurb doesn't say that T'Challa is still Black Panther, even though he is wearing the suit. It was noticeable that they used his name and didn't call him Black Panther. We don't know what Ridley still has in store for us.

The way it's shaping up Ridley might go down as worse than Coates. Though I've read more of Ridley's work I'm thinking he could be worse than Coates because Ridley has had successful career writing fiction including comics, whereas Coates had the excuse that he had never written comics, or fiction before. Despite whatever issues I have with Ridley's views, his run has struggled to keep a consistent, entertaining story going, one worthy of the Black Panther character.

Offline BlackClaw

• Yes my teeth and ambitions are bared! Be prepared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: July 24, 2022, 12:51:16 am »
Ridley just feels like a plant to have the comics line up in the movie.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #5256 on: July 25, 2022, 07:06:12 pm »
Breaking and deconstructing T'Challa the Black Panther has become a comic book staple. Priest deconstructed T'Challa the Black Panther with a brain aneurysm resulting from a beat down by Iron Fist.

Hudlin deconstructed T'Challa the Black Panther by having Dr. Doom blast him so bad he needed a bacta tank.

This allowed Shuri the opportunity to be Black Panther and left T'Challa seeking employment in Hell's Kitchen.

Neither were burden with explaining T'Challa the Black Panther's reconstruction.

While Priest and Hudlin had their shortcomings, their reverence for T'Challa the Black Panther was evident. Coates and Ridley on the other hand have little to no respect for T'Challa the Black Panther. Ridley delivers this.

Coates and Ridley aren't about just deconstructing T'Challa the Black Panther they want to corrupt the character, break him in spirit and leave T'Challa the Black Panther not only unrecognizable but impotent for future writers.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: July 29, 2022, 04:37:04 am »
Wakanda Forever - the Marvel history of the war between Black Panther and Namor

http://www.gamesradar.com/black-panther-wakanda-forever-namor-talocan/

Wakanda Forever's Namor - 8 comic book facts you didn't know about the latest MCU sensation

http://www.gamesradar.com/namor-facts-wakanda-forever/

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: July 30, 2022, 02:06:37 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo3PN0KhTv0

Thanks. I had seen this one before and ultimately I do agree with James's argument. I thought they were diminishing T'Challa in the first Black Panther film, but the good largely outweighed the bad there. Even if Boseman had lived and was in this film I do think they would've kept undercutting the character in favor of his "supporting" cast and other characters, however I don't think the erasure of the character would've happened. Though eventually that was the plan-IMO-that I think was there from jump. And perhaps they just didn't count on T'Challa or Boseman's performance resonating with so many people, which made it problematic to just ex out the character. I think something happened similarly with Wesley's Blade. In Trinity they hung that story around Blade, but really wanted to just use his popularity to put other characters on. The same thing was done with the short-lived Blade television series. With Blade, it was using a black character to put white characters on, and with Black Panther and especially Wakanda Forever, it's using a black male to put on black females and others.

Another thing that feels disingenuous about honoring Boseman by killing off the character is now the comics are also sidelining T'Challa. I get they want synergy with the movie, but they don't necessarily have to do that. They could've spun it that T'Challa doesn't exist in the MCU at the moment, but you can still read his adventures in the comics, but no, he's being pushed out of a book that carries his name. I was looking at the For All Nerds discussion about recasting T'Challa and one of the Wakanda Forever comic writers, Stephanie Williams, said that T'Challa had done some "f*ck sh*t" so that's why he's not in the miniseries (paraphrasing, not a direct quote). And that just felt very disrespectful to the character. It felt like she viewed T'Challa as just another n***a. Like he was hanging on a street corner and not a king. Further, if these are the kind of people (Coates, Ridley, and Williams, among others) they are hiring to write the Black Panther/Wakanda adventures that's saying how Marvel really feels about Black Panther.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebX3wt4UfP4

Williams makes her disparaging comment around 56 minutes into the discussion. E-Man was holding it down in this conversation. He let that dig go, but it looked like he wanted to say something, but let ride. I do think that the Blerd Girl Karama Horne was trying to bait him early on, but he didn't take the bait. Thus far, he's been a great spokesperson for the recast argument. It's not lost on me that Horne also has a book from Marvel about the Dora Milaje, and so you have some people who have financial interests in these conversations, and while there is nothing wrong with that I think it needs to be made clearer so we can see perhaps where they stand and perhaps why that is.

It will be interesting to see what's in or isn't in Captain America: New World Order. We'll perhaps see Wilson still struggling to live up to Sreve's legacy, of not being accepted as Captain America (which is happening in the real world, so there's that), but I doubt we'll see him have a love interest (if there is, it might be Sharon Carter and at best we might get a kiss or they'll make eyes/faces at each other). How much will see of Wilson as his own man? And that goes for Fury's Secret Invasion series (which I'm guessing will be more about the Skrulls and a lot of non-black characters anyway) or War Machine's Armor Wars. So as its stands there is no black male character even close in the MCU to substitute for T'Challa.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 02:16:54 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: August 01, 2022, 03:49:26 am »
I watched about 20 min then skipped ahead. E-man holds it down well, I find it that the anti recast crowd all say the exact same stuff almost verbatim, like it's rehearsed. And frankly, I have found more toxicity and insults and "crying" from the anti recast crowd that I have from the recast.

Ontop of that, even on the comment section this is further reinforced by the author slinging insults immediately when people express that they want Tchalla to continue
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 02:54:10 pm by Ezyo »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: August 01, 2022, 09:21:14 am »
Sam is still dating Misty. I dont think th et y broke up after Barnes run.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: August 01, 2022, 09:39:28 am »
Sam is still dating Misty. I dont think th et y broke up after Barnes run.

She's on one of the covers of the latest Captain America: Symbol of Truth issue, but she's not in the issue. From what I recall, she was in the first issue or the prequel issue for the series, but hasn't been a part of the story really. It would be nice if they bring her back in.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: August 01, 2022, 09:45:29 am »
I watched about 20 min then skipped ahead. E-man holds it down well, I find it that the anti recast crowd all say the exact same stuff almost verbatim, like it's rehearsed. And frankly, I have found more toxicity and insults and "crying" from the anti recast crowd that I have from the recast.

Ontop of that, even on the comment section this is further reinforced by the author slinging insults immediately when people express that they want Tchalla to continue

Didn't really check the comments section. Don't need to raise my blood pressure, but yes, there is a similarity to the anti-recast stance. And one thing that rankles is that it's like a given-even among some of the recast supporters-that the recast movement is toxic or has some toxicity whereas the other side never would say that about their supporters or their behavior. And the anti-recast side, in the mainstream media and otherwise, describe themselves as "MCU fans" or fans, as if their position comes from true fans, and any disagreements are coming from non-fans or toxic trolls. I don't think it's wise to accept those definitions right off because that cedes too much legitimacy to the anti-recast crowd right off the bat. They feel they have the right to accuse and insult people who they don't agree with and even to tell people how to spend their money. If people don't want to see Wakanda Forever that's their right. Personally I'm iffy on it. I'm thinking I'll see the spoilers first to see if it's worth my time. Marvel might do a surprise recast twist or something cool to make me more excited to get behind the movie than I am now.

E-Man is very good, and patient, at rebutting a lot of the anti-recaster arguments. Much better than I would be. I was looking at one black guy on (anti-recast IMO) Robert Meyer Burnett's podcast talking about some fans (recasters) are so "entitled" without considering how entitled the other side can be as well, especially if they are only looking at it through the lens of the MCU, and not the character's decades of history. To Burnett's credit, he had E-Man on after that guy, but I wish he had had them together so that E-Man could calmly slice that guy's arguments apart.

Further the counter, dodge, that the recast crowd is against Black women or doesn't want to see a Black woman superhero or any argument along that line obliviously ignores how in Wakanda Forever, by my count, there will be seven prominent roles for Black women  and just one for a Black man (M'Baku) that we know of at the moment, so how is that even close to any parity, but because we are supposed to just accept that Black women are always marginalized, "the least protected, most disrespected", that we often accept this counter without pushback out of fear of being labeled a Black woman hater. And for those who care so much about Shuri as Black Panther and feel that Recast is anti-Black women, I don't see a large outcry from any of them to push Marvel to make movies about Monica Rambeau, Mercedes Knight, Storm, Valkyrie, Okoye, Nakia, Midnight Angels, or even a strong push to make sure there is an Okoye Disney Plus series coming. I don't recall seeing any push from them for an Ironheart series or Moon Girl cartoon either. That seemed to come from Disney and not outside pressure.

A lot of Black feminists (male and female) IMO are more eager to just cannibalize off a Black male/Black male character than to push for   more female representation in already female projects. They want it off the backs, or from the carcass of Black men. Instead of pushing for more movies, they would rather fight just over Black Panther.

I don't mind Shuri being Black Panther, or Nakia, or Okoye. As it stands, I don't think Letitia Wright was built up to take the role in the first film (but that could make for an interesting scenario where she is way in over her head and has to grow up fast). I also don't think Wright really wants to do it. She didn't look happy to me from what I saw of the Comic Con panel. I think Okoye and Nakia seem more ready to go, and I have long wanted Lupita to have her own franchise. But I don't want that at the expense of T'Challa.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 02:57:11 pm by Ezyo »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: August 01, 2022, 05:33:45 pm »
I think the problem the Recast crowd faces is that the Gators are also being lumped in there too. Which leads to the movement being attacked by both sides, something the no recast side doesn't to worry about.

Another thing is that yes your right, anytime people say they want Tchalla to continue it's met with "What's wrong with a woman taking over? You must hate women'!!!" While casually ignoring that the female cast is heavily stacked and the male cast is all but gutted.

When it's countered with T'Challa has existed for 55 year's and deserves to have his story told before someone else takes over, the counters are "You must be intimidated by women and can't stand to see Black women shine" (someone actually tried this on me) and it's utterly ridiculous. Ultimately the recast crowd has Chad's word's and his families on our side and the anti Recast crowd doesn't really have a counter for that, and if you press them on it, turns out they will say some pretty damning stuff that completely undoes whatever argument they were building.

Plenty have basically said they don't give a isht about what Chad's family has said or Chad's word's were taken out fo context and Marvel is free to do as they please and they are honoring Chad and the cast and crew know better in honoring Chad because they worked with him.

Another one I see is that supes guy on Twitter made a comment about Shuri needing training and people tried to dogpile saying it was misogynistic and that she is a fighter because she fought Erik and Thanos army, and claim we don't know how good T'Challa is because we never saw him train And how it's a double standard.

They can't counter with actual facts or anything they make up their own head canon and believe it to be the truth.theybare hellbent on believing T'Challa MUST die so they can saw goodbye and ignore how that will effect young black kids and to Recast is disrespectful to Chads memory (and also hurts their immersion because fans apparently need to be spoonfed why Tchalla would look different and needs an in universe explanation).

Yet at the end, all of their excuses and reasons rely on ignoring what Chad has said in life and what his family has said, and so they have to attack the movement itself and throw out accusations of misogyny to counter.