Author Topic: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!  (Read 1361453 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!
« Reply #5265 on: August 01, 2022, 06:19:50 pm »
I think the problem the Recast crowd faces is that the Gators are also being lumped in there too. Which leads to the movement being attacked by both sides, something the no recast side doesn't to worry about.

Another thing is that yes your right, anytime people say they want Tchalla to continue it's met with "What's wrong with a woman taking over? You must hate women'!!!" While casually ignoring that the female cast is heavily stacked and the male cast is all but gutted.

When it's countered with T'Challa has existed for 55 year's and deserves to have his story told before someone else takes over, the counters are "You must be intimidated by women and can't stand to see Black women shine" (someone actually tried this on me) and it's utterly ridiculous. Ultimately the recast crowd has Chad's word's and his families on our side and the anti Recast crowd doesn't really have a counter for that, and if you press them on it, turns out they will say some pretty damning stuff that completely undoes whatever argument they were building.

Plenty have basically said they don't give a isht about what Chad's family has said or Chad's word's were taken out fo context and Marvel is free to do as they please and they are honoring Chad and the cast and crew know better in honoring Chad because they worked with him.

Another one I see is that supes guy on Twitter made a comment about Shuri needing training and people tried to dogpile saying it was misogynistic and that she is a fighter because she fought Erik and Thanos army, and claim we don't know how good T'Challa is because we never saw him train And how it's a double standard.

They can't counter with actual facts or anything they make up their own head canon and believe it to be the truth.theybare hellbent on believing T'Challa MUST die so they can saw goodbye and ignore how that will effect young black kids and to Recast is disrespectful to Chads memory (and also hurts their immersion because fans apparently need to be spoonfed why Tchalla would look different and needs an in universe explanation).

Yet at the end, all of their excuses and reasons rely on ignoring what Chad has said in life and what his family has said, and so they have to attack the movement itself and throw out accusations of misogyny to counter.

"Gators" is a good term. I don't think lumping the Gators in with more benign recasters can be avoided. That's the go-to move for basically any disagreement that happens in geekdom now. And that's not to say there isn't some truth in many of these geek dustups that there are some people who often spew racist, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, and other -isms and phobias sentiments. However, that also provides a too convenient paint brush for corporations and "real" fans to use to dismiss any disagreement or complaints.

When hurling the isms/phobias doesn't work, they can also call people crybabies or say they are whining or go for some extreme example if not outright misstate or misconstrue what they say the other side wants in an effort to delegitimize (supposedly) the stances they disagree with. So, there's a lot of bad faith actors here, but the mainstream media is so one-sided they are on the lookout for those who might complain, but never the side that is attempting to silence or police discussion. Misandry isn't a word that exists in the mainstream.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with feeling that they need to depict Shuri leveling up to take on Namor. I don't think it would do well to have him get handled decisively by Shuri in his MCU debut, without seeing her leveling up in some way to take him on. Letitia Wright is very petite and her portrayal in the first film didn't set her up well to be taken seriously as a BP successor, yet. And that was fine, because it wasn't intended to be. However, for her to take on the mantle now, I do think we need to see her bulk up, etc. to sell her beating Namor. I'm assuming here that the MCU Namor will have been a hardened warrior by the time of Wakanda Forever. I don't think that's necessarily sexist on the face of it to raise the question. And while we didn't see T'Challa prepare, Boseman was a bigger, more muscular person that right off sold that he could handle himself. Plus we saw what he could do in Civil War before his own film. Shuri's fighting wasn't as impressive in Black Panther and I can't recall what she did in Infinity War, so it will stretch credulity. And with Namor there will be a new audience to cater/answer to, and that will be Latino fans who will want him put in a very good light. And I doubt the anti-recast crowd will go ham too much on Latinos if more speak up about wanting Namor and his people to not get punked out.

With what Namor as a character means to Marvel overall, and then Disney wanting to appeal to the Latino market, don't be surprised if they don't DoomWar Wakanda Forever, and it's a stealth Namor film.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 06:27:13 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: August 02, 2022, 09:02:40 am »

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: August 02, 2022, 09:19:12 am »
Itís been a minute since I read the OG Shuri storyline - but is it impossible to adapt that storyline, and reintroduce viewers to TíChalla in a later feature?

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: August 02, 2022, 09:42:15 am »
Captain America Is Poised Go to War with Wakanda

http://www.cbr.com/captain-america-symbol-truth-sam-wilson-wakanda-war-marvel/

I think the author left out the part where a group of Americans somehow are getting Wakandan visas and Sam signed up to go. Hunter is most likely behind it and he is either kidnapping the people signing up or its a Zaza Ali type money scam. But Sam is supposed to be in WK next issue, so we'll see. And if Shuri is answering the calls that means this is taking place before BP issue #4 or the Cap book has already revealed the outcome of the BP story. But Tchalla is on the cover of the next issue, unless its a misdirect.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #5269 on: August 02, 2022, 01:37:38 pm »
Ridley just feels like a plant to have the comics line up in the movie.

That is EXACTLY what I think he is. The guy who agreed to put T'Challa out to pasture or at least set up his exit until the MCU Phase 6 or 7 is in full effect. That's what...another 10 years?

The T'Challa stories Ridley is writing are PURPOSEFUL TRASH. This dude writes BETTER than this. I saw some of his other work. He's definitely a solid writer. Definitely. He's not REDJACK or nuthin, but who is? None of us are.

But THIS guy? It's proven that the 616 is aligning with the MCU and will defecate on T'Challa in the process of getting him outta there. From what I'm being told [ because I immediately refused to buy this trash, I'm rockin with Blood Syndicate and REDJACK and of course my manz Nightwing ]? They're not even calling him BP, or King of the Dead, or any legit title anymore.

I'm getting my BP fix from Jason Aaron. Jason. Aaron. The guy who legit couldn't see how Wakanda could beat The Skrulls. The guy who turned right around and gave us incredible Panther...not BLACK Panther, but Panther...feats, stories, and leadership. Aaron has consistently knocked Panther right out of the park and into the cosmic stratosphere. This guy is killin it with Panther.

He's killin it with Panther. Not  BLACK Panther. And BP is essentially already phased out of Aaron's books.

We need our BLACK PANTHER back. Hey, Ture...any 710 Universe stuff comin? We need that. Thanks.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline BlackClaw

• Yes my teeth and ambitions are bared! Be prepared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: August 04, 2022, 05:18:23 am »
Ridley just feels like a plant to have the comics line up in the movie.

That is EXACTLY what I think he is. The guy who agreed to put T'Challa out to pasture or at least set up his exit until the MCU Phase 6 or 7 is in full effect. That's what...another 10 years?

The T'Challa stories Ridley is writing are PURPOSEFUL TRASH. This dude writes BETTER than this. I saw some of his other work. He's definitely a solid writer. Definitely. He's not REDJACK or nuthin, but who is? None of us are.

But THIS guy? It's proven that the 616 is aligning with the MCU and will defecate on T'Challa in the process of getting him outta there. From what I'm being told [ because I immediately refused to buy this trash, I'm rockin with Blood Syndicate and REDJACK and of course my manz Nightwing ]? They're not even calling him BP, or King of the Dead, or any legit title anymore.

I'm getting my BP fix from Jason Aaron. Jason. Aaron. The guy who legit couldn't see how Wakanda could beat The Skrulls. The guy who turned right around and gave us incredible Panther...not BLACK Panther, but Panther...feats, stories, and leadership. Aaron has consistently knocked Panther right out of the park and into the cosmic stratosphere. This guy is killin it with Panther.

He's killin it with Panther. Not  BLACK Panther. And BP is essentially already phased out of Aaron's books.

We need our BLACK PANTHER back. Hey, Ture...any 710 Universe stuff comin? We need that. Thanks.

Phase 6 ends with secret wars. Which is a mere 3 years from now. Iíll just hold out hope TíChalla will be recast as a variant by then.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: August 06, 2022, 12:21:30 pm »
Black Panther: Unconquered One-Shot Comic Arriving Ahead of MCU Sequel

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/black-panther-unconquered-one-shot-comic-arriving-ahead-of-mcu-sequel/ar-AA10nAbT?pc=U531&cvid=ca6baac4a42642dcb5d04e494d531c61

Unconquered is a great title, but this could be another bait-and-switch.

I wish Hill had been writing the current Black Panther run over Ridley. Hill doesn't blow me away, but I liked some of his Deathblow series (I have yet to finish it). Also, I read a good deal of his Batman & the Outsider series, and eventually it got to doing a decent job with Black Lightning and he also explored Duke Thomas more. I didn't always agree with what I read when it came to either BL or Thomas, but I don't feel he sandbagged them like Ridley is doing with T'Challa either. I did think it was neat that his villain Ishmael made it to the Black Lightning series. Another Hill creation, Karma, would've fit well on that series too. So, I can say that Hill knows how to create better villains than Ridley. I also enjoyed some of his warped takes on DC icons in the Deathblow series.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: August 07, 2022, 02:36:59 pm »
Forgot Hill wrote the Killmonger miniseries. I liked that for the most part. So he would be a much better choice to take over the Black Panther title than Ridley. Though with this one-shot who knows exactly what will happen, and if the subtitle "Unconquered" actually mean T'Challa, or perhaps they'll just end the issue with Tosin as Black Panther.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: August 08, 2022, 08:25:51 am »
I gotta say, out of all the nonsense OCs created, Tosin is nearly at the top of the list of most hated of recent creations. Nothing about him is even good and just comes off as a self righteous, entitled  fool who's head is stuck up his own ***, I want the character (as well as Ayo, Aneka, Omolola, and Akili) to get the Hudlin treatment. Then we can have the status quo of Shuri, Okoye, W'Kabi, Zuri and nuNakia or Malika as our solid support cast

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: August 08, 2022, 12:35:02 pm »
I gotta say, out of all the nonsense OCs created, Tosin is nearly at the top of the list of most hated of recent creations. Nothing about him is even good and just comes off as a self righteous, entitled  fool who's head is stuck up his own ***, I want the character (as well as Ayo, Aneka, Omolola, and Akili) to get the Hudlin treatment. Then we can have the status quo of Shuri, Okoye, W'Kabi, Zuri and nuNakia or Malika as our solid support cast

I bounced quickly on Coates's run, so I don't know all of the characters he created, or changed, but Tosin is very annoying. I do like his look and his power set is okay, but his self-righteousness is very annoying. I was just thinking this story might have had more resonance if they had changed Omolola and Tosin for Queen Divine Justice and Vibraxas, though I would not want to see Ridley twist them to fit the story he is telling.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: August 08, 2022, 07:56:26 pm »
And behind it all, Marvel appears content with all the harm theyíve instigated, the division theyíve sown. This really bugs the crap out of me because it is too analogous to the way Americaís removed Black men from Black families in droves, creating a disproportionate burden on Black mothers, fostering resentment, misandry/misogyny, and intentionally mitigating the power Black people, couples, families could wield.

My Two Cents!

Peace,

Mont

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: August 10, 2022, 02:38:26 am »
I'll give the overall story a 3-4. Mostly due to these last 3 issues. Seems like he was trying to tell one story before Mars then tried to tell a different one after and it fell apart. I almost don't want to blame Ridley because I cant believe an editor read this and said 'yes, run with that.'  Character motivations post Mars are unclear and the reason this whole thing kicked off isn't explained. There is one good poster moment in the final issue but it feels hollow. Like where was this the previous 7 issues. lol.

If the way the second half of the story was a movie, you'd find it somewhere in the deep recesses of the TUBI app. There is a guy on YouTube who does bad movie reviews called FamBoyFlicks. This is worthy for him to review. Lol
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 03:51:06 am by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: August 10, 2022, 08:23:00 am »
I'll give this review about as much effort that was put into this story. 0/10. Lazy, uninspired, lack of coherent story, ishtty characters, dumbed down and weak ass T'Challa.. if this is how T'Challa is supposed to be from now on, or if this somehow transferred to the greater MU... I could not be a fan anymore. This is an embarrassment and an insult to T'Challa.

I hated how every character was portrayed and their voice in this. ALL of them need to get the Hudlin treatment when he purged the male cast. Even Shuri needs to get a reevaluation

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 01:29:19 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: August 12, 2022, 11:44:16 am »
Black Panther Is Left With Nothing After The Wakanda War

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/black-panther-is-left-with-nothing-after-the-wakanda-war/ar-AA10B9Pg?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c5c7ebd4c8674776a3b2822860b205e3

Link didn't come up for me, I assume its the CBR article?

If it is, its as bad as this issue and editorial didn't catch the writers mistakes either. lol. Its so bad that its enough to create a conspiracy that the article was written before the issue came out, but Marvel made last minute changes. lol

Reggie Hudlin-