Author Topic: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!  (Read 1361401 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!
« Reply #5280 on: August 12, 2022, 01:29:49 pm »
Yes, its CBR. It worked when I just tried it.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: August 12, 2022, 07:01:10 pm »
So apparently this person didn't read the issue? They said Tosin is adamantium infused, said the battle was over before T'Challa got on the battlefield, and a bunch of other nonsensical stuff. Journalism at it's finest.

Lol

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: August 14, 2022, 03:17:41 am »
The 10 Best Black Panther Comic Book Storylines

http://screenrant.com/best-black-panther-comic-book-storylines/amp/

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: August 16, 2022, 01:43:33 pm »
This article is either as inaccurate as the previous or the fan backlash is causing them to change course.

https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-wakanda-king-heavy-cost-marvel/
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: August 17, 2022, 07:28:13 am »
This article is either as inaccurate as the previous or the fan backlash is causing them to change course.

https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-wakanda-king-heavy-cost-marvel/

It could possibly be the later, as people have been TEARING into Ridleys run. Frankly I wish these same people exuded this same energy when Coates was running roughshod over the franchise. We would of saved ourselves 6 years of his run and could of possibly gotten someone better like Geoffrey Thorne on the book

Offline BlackClaw

• Yes my teeth and ambitions are bared! Be prepared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: August 17, 2022, 03:49:10 pm »
I hope itís the latter. Hell I think one of the reasons why Coates got away with his crap was because of the flowery prose in his writing. Ridley has the characters sounding way too American and casual in their dialogue and therefore the bad writing stands out a lot more.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: August 17, 2022, 06:30:48 pm »
yeah frankly it's annoying because they say Ridleys the worst ever etc etc. And then seem to forget all the isht Coates added (which was way more ) in 8 issues compared to Ridley. Dude added rape and T'Challa getting advice from despots, and suicide bombers and has Shuri tell RAPE victims they should ptf sucked it up essentially died without complaint

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: August 20, 2022, 11:01:02 am »
I got my copy of Issue #8 in the mail the other day and read it this morning. I didn't hate it as much as I was expecting, though maybe I've almost reached that point where I become numb to things, and they can't hurt me anymore.

I liked the Alex Ross cover art, though I didn't care for the black male against female subtext-IMO. The art inside the book was good, though perhaps a bit bland.

The story itself wasn't well written.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It starts off with Storm explaining that Okoye flouted rules and got T'Challa his suit back, and then T'Challa has this clunky dialogue with Shuri to establish-for the reader-who is on Team Wakanda. From there we get a lot of fronting on T'Challa, and also T'Challa owning up to his failures and even declaring his ego is his weakness, one that Akili-another male, surprise, surprise-also has, which T'Challa uses to defeat him.

Before Akili dies (he kills himself which denies T'Challa the clear win) he does call T'Challa his king, and Storm also calls him king as she leaves him alone, and I didn't read it as her mocking him. One bright spot is that Omolola said this will be the last time she talks to him, and I'm fine with that. I liked that Shuri promised to check Tosin. Shuri didn't praise him, but she did the almost as obnoxious prime minister-who somehow could easily take down a Hatut Zeraze.

I did think it was interesting that Ridley seems to also be keeping the Dora Milaje from returning to Wakanda, by having the prime minister insist on a citizen army.
As others have pointed out, Shuri was responsible for a lot of the "oppression" they accuse T'Challa of,
but it seems like she isn't getting kicked out of Wakanda or going to jail
. Wonder why.

Now that "The Long Shadow" is over it just feels like such a waste. They could've saved a lot of paper and ink by killing off T'Challa in the first issue and moving on from there. He's such an impediment and screw up under Ridley's pen that I don't know how he gets up to write these issues, unless he has a masochistic streak. Who is genuinely excited to read the next issue of Ridley's run? I read them more of dread (and I'm subscribed, but I will not be resubscribing as long as he's writing the book).

I guess the only people who really like this are people who also believe that (straight) black males (which T'Challa symbolizes in an idealized way better than any other mainstream comic book character) always need lecturing, hectoring, and to just "do better". Even their aspirational hero models are screw ups who need to be told to pull up their pants.

I think Ridley really needed to sit down and think out Wakandan politics better before writing "Long Shadow".  And do more to make Akili a compelling villain. As it stands, he reminds me of a far less interesting version of Hunter, though without the family ties.
There is talk of T'Challa working with mutants, but that felt like a last minute aside almost, instead of weaving an anti-mutant hysteria or motivation into the entire run.
I didn't read much of Coates run, so maybe the seeds were planted there. However, I shouldn't have had to read another run. Ridley should've explained it in his run, and therefore, if interested, I could reach back and read Coates.

It didn't feel like anything we saw T'Challa do in this arc, or what I know of him in the past, warranted just about everyone turning against him. The only way it makes sense to me is that if we accept the idea that black men are bad just because and go from there. If you have that mindset already then it's easy to buy that T'Challa did "f**k sh*t" (to quote Nubia/Wakanda Forever scribe Stephanie Williams), which necessitates him getting bounced out of Wakanda.

Of what I've read of AXE, the set up was much better and the motivations are clearer. It was established quickly to allow for more action and not just monologues, soliloquies, or jeremiads about how bad the Eternals, Mutants, or Avengers are like how "Long Shadow" harshly judged T'Challa's failings as a man, husband, and king. And he's not doing so hot as a sibling or Avenger either. 

The more I think about this, what was the point of it? When the book starts, T'Challa is with the Avengers, and has a modicum of respect. However, he's not ruling Wakanda, though he still has some voice in its affairs. But Ridley or Marvel had him ditch the Avengers and by the end of this story
he has no country or friends save Shuri (and it's notable that in the final scene she's nowhere to be found)
. But very little changed, and definitely positively, for T'Challa. We didn't even really get to see this great friendship with Jhai.

What was Marvel hoping to accomplish with "The Long Shadow", which was more like a long character assassination? If they simply wanted him out of Wakanda they could've done that while still keeping respect on his name. He was Luke Charles and Mr. Okonkwo before. He could've returned to either of those identities so that Marvel could've played in their super precious Wakanda without him. They had Akili there to be the black man pin cushion and didn't need T'Challa at all for the political story Ridley was telling. I argue that the story worked better without T'Challa. Without T'Challa there as a scapegoat, maybe Ridley could've done more to develop the competing visions of Wakanda as embodied by the prime minister and Akili, with Shuri-perhaps-in the middle, and Tosin as a wild card.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 11:17:27 am by Emperorjones »

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #5288 on: August 20, 2022, 12:02:30 pm »

We all know that Ridley has to write the trash that aligns with the MCU plans for..and without..T'Challa and Wakanda. None of us were ever going to put up with that fecal matter. Marvel 616's "shuttle T'Challa to the side and diss him after Coates largely deconstructed him" plan was absolutely confirmed when they didn't put Redjack on the main title of BLACK PANTHER.

So. Unless Ture is droppin fanfiction? Or Jason Aaron is writing T'Challa? Or T'Challa becomes a consistently well treated and prominently featured character in THE AVENGERS books? We have basically seen the end of the respectful renditions of T'Challa by the 616 until T'Challa returns to the MCU.

But what about Redjack's Blood Syndicate, tho? And ChrisCross just decapitating every page with dope art, tho? I'd completely forgotten that Wise Son and Tech were in Afghanistan...thank THE ANCESTORS that Geoffrey didn't retcon the story so they weren't sent to help out UKRAINE, lolol. But we all know that Geoffrey is too thorough for that...and I am glad to see Icon and Rocket for the minute I saw them. I didn't realize that I missed them so much until I belatedly ran up on SYNDICATE #1. And this Holocaust dude is wylin. I like it.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: August 20, 2022, 12:40:48 pm »

We all know that Ridley has to write the trash that aligns with the MCU plans for..and without..T'Challa and Wakanda. None of us were ever going to put up with that fecal matter. Marvel 616's "shuttle T'Challa to the side and diss him after Coates largely deconstructed him" plan was absolutely confirmed when they didn't put Redjack on the main title of BLACK PANTHER.

So. Unless Ture is droppin fanfiction? Or Jason Aaron is writing T'Challa? Or T'Challa becomes a consistently well treated and prominently featured character in THE AVENGERS books? We have basically seen the end of the respectful renditions of T'Challa by the 616 until T'Challa returns to the MCU.

But what about Redjack's Blood Syndicate, tho? And ChrisCross just decapitating every page with dope art, tho? I'd completely forgotten that Wise Son and Tech were in Afghanistan...thank THE ANCESTORS that Geoffrey didn't retcon the story so they weren't sent to help out UKRAINE, lolol. But we all know that Geoffrey is too thorough for that...and I am glad to see Icon and Rocket for the minute I saw them. I didn't realize that I missed them so much until I belatedly ran up on SYNDICATE #1. And this Holocaust dude is wylin. I like it.

I don't disagree with you that Ridley is following the dictates of Marvel/Disney, but the way he's going about it seems especially mean-not sure if that's also on Marvel/Disney-to try to put in readers' minds that T'Challa is a bad person in an attempt to make people less enthused about seeing him replaced in the MCU.

Though I don't agree with the idea of ridding the comics of T'Challa, if that's your job, you could do so that still left the character respectable. But it seems like they just don't want to write him out of his own series but write him off as a worthy character.

You raise a good point about Blood Syndicate. I've bought some of the issues, but not sat down and read them. I've also read some of the new Icon/Rocket, Static, and Hardware. I've been more on a kick of reading Black indie comics (like Purge, Dreadlocks, and Aceblade) lately which are providing better depictions of Black heroes than the majors are for the most part IMO.

A little while ago I read an issue of Mark Millar's Prodigy series, the beginning of the new arc, "The Icarus Society" and from just this issue it felt like his Edison Crane character was everything lacking in Ridley and Marvel's Black Panther. Crane was an intriguing character and the villain was established right off and made even more formidable by the end of the issue. The biracial (?) Black smartest man in the world and 8th richest was cool, suave, and hit with the ladies. I can see that he is overconfident, self-absorbed, and perhaps emotionally detached but so far, just in the issue I read, Millar didn't beat him over the head about his faults and flaws. He came across like Cumberbatch's Sherlock with more than a dollop of James Bond thrown in. I've had my doubts about Millar when it came to writing Black characters, but I admit I was impressed with this issue. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 04:05:52 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: August 25, 2022, 03:51:26 am »
The writer is streaching hard on this take.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: September 07, 2022, 01:52:49 pm »
I think the latest issue is better than the previous three. There are still areas where the dialogue is like nails on a chalkboard, but at least it's not reserved for just Tchalla. Carol and Steve get the same treatment. Lol.

But Tchalla is doing more Black Panthering than he has in the entire previous story.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: September 08, 2022, 04:05:42 am »
I feel a bit ashamed, because I picked up #9 at the comic bookstore yesterday, even though I'm still subscribed. Still not planning on resubscribing though. I wanted to get the pain over with instead of waiting for it in the mail I suppose.

I thought this issue played more like a typical superhero story.
It starts out with more of the Coates-Ridley self-flagellating T'Challa (I wonder if Ridley uses T'Challa to beat himself up) and then we got more of a typical superhero tale. I didn't care for how testy the relationship between Captain America and Black Panther is, but since I haven't read a lot of current books with them in them, I don't know how normal that is. And T'Challa finally somewhat stood up for himself a bit, so that's a welcome change. It's nice that the bad guy ties back to Ridley's first BP issue, the issue with the most promise IMO and the one that had me stoked to see what came next. That now feels like ages ago. I also felt the Avengers lineup, while powerful, was light. And I felt they came across a bit underpowered. Thor and Captain Marvel alone seemingly should've been able to take out the Colonialist's Ferals.

I thought the artwork was good, but not spectacular. I think the new villain, the Colonialist, was an attempt by Ridley to try to be clever, but it only halfway worked for me. The thing that worked best for me was how the alien was misusing human language, that did make the entity feel more alien. I didn't like the Buffalo Soldier character. I can't imagine Hudlin would ever have made this character. I could see Priest perhaps doing so, but with way better written.