Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!  (Read 1425243 times)

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!
« Reply #5295 on: September 08, 2022, 04:53:42 am »
I feel a bit ashamed, because I picked up #9 at the comic bookstore yesterday, even though I'm still subscribed. Still not planning on resubscribing though. I wanted to get the pain over with instead of waiting for it in the mail I suppose.

I thought this issue played more like a typical superhero story.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It starts out with more of the Coates-Ridley self-flagellating T'Challa (I wonder if Ridley uses T'Challa to beat himself up) and then we got more of a typical superhero tale. I didn't care for how testy the relationship between Captain America and Black Panther is, but since I haven't read a lot of current books with them in them, I don't know how normal that is. And T'Challa finally somewhat stood up for himself a bit, so that's a welcome change. It's nice that the bad guy ties back to Ridley's first BP issue, the issue with the most promise IMO and the one that had me stoked to see what came next. That now feels like ages ago. I also felt the Avengers lineup, while powerful, was light. And I felt they came across a bit underpowered. Thor and Captain Marvel alone seemingly should've been able to take out the Colonialist's Ferals.

I thought the artwork was good, but not spectacular. I think the new villain, the Colonialist, was an attempt by Ridley to try to be clever, but it only halfway worked for me. The thing that worked best for me was how the alien was misusing human language, that did make the entity feel more alien. I didn't like the Buffalo Soldier character. I can't imagine Hudlin would ever have made this character. I could see Priest perhaps doing so, but with way better written.

I would say Cap and BP being testy towards each other is pretty normal. I think they respect each other, but Tchalla probably doesn't really trust Cap. He didn't mind wiping his memory during the incursions.

I was hesitant about Buffalo Solider as well, but now that I know its just the aliens creating creatures based on random Earth history due to their misinterpreting of it, it makes more sense.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: September 08, 2022, 05:03:24 am »
I feel a bit ashamed, because I picked up #9 at the comic bookstore yesterday, even though I'm still subscribed. Still not planning on resubscribing though. I wanted to get the pain over with instead of waiting for it in the mail I suppose.

It starts out with more of the Coates-Ridley self-flagellating T'Challa (I wonder if Ridley uses T'Challa to beat himself up) and then we got more of a typical superhero tale. I didn't care for how testy the relationship between Captain America and Black Panther is, but since I haven't read a lot of current books with them in them, I don't know how normal that is. And T'Challa finally somewhat stood up for himself a bit, so that's a welcome change. It's nice that the bad guy ties back to Ridley's first BP issue, the issue with the most promise IMO and the one that had me stoked to see what came next. That now feels like ages ago. I also felt the Avengers lineup, while powerful, was light. And I felt they came across a bit underpowered. Thor and Captain Marvel alone seemingly should've been able to take out the Colonialist's Ferals.

I thought the artwork was good, but not spectacular. I think the new villain, the Colonialist, was an attempt by Ridley to try to be clever, but it only halfway worked for me. The thing that worked best for me was how the alien was misusing human language, that did make the entity feel more alien. I didn't like the Buffalo Soldier character. I can't imagine Hudlin would ever have made this character. I could see Priest perhaps doing so, but with way better written.

I would say Cap and BP being testy towards each other is pretty normal. I think they respect each other, but Tchalla probably doesn't really trust Cap. He didn't mind wiping his memory during the incursions.

I was hesitant about Buffalo Solider as well, but now that I know its just the aliens creating creatures based on random Earth history due to their misinterpreting of it, it makes more sense.

I think that the Colonialist is misinterpreting aspects of Earth language, but not its history, and that Ridley is being deliberate here, and that he is presenting a critique, or a complicated or nuanced view of the Buffalo Soldiers and their history.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: September 08, 2022, 05:16:08 am »

I think that the Colonialist is misinterpreting aspects of Earth language, but not its history, and that Ridley is being deliberate here, and that he is presenting a critique, or a complicated or nuanced view of the Buffalo Soldiers and their history.

Considering he is actually riding a buffalo, I think the Colonialist is taking concepts very literally without understanding the real concepts behind names.

For Ridleys cringe dialouge, I've been trying to figure out where I've heard it before. I'm thinking the sitcom 'Friends' is what it most sounds like?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 05:23:35 am by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: September 08, 2022, 07:47:10 pm »
Wasn't impressed by the issue. At this point I just want him gone. However, if this was the story we got first instead of the long shade, I would of been nore okay with it abd maybe even interested to see where Ridley went. At this point though the sudden tonal change just comes off as bad writing and Ridley attempting (and failing due to all the cringe dialogue all around) to be clever and it just falls flat as with everything else. He T'Challa just isn't impressive what so ever, he comes off as a normal human with a advanced suit instead of one of Earth's greatest warriors and a masterful tactician who happens to have a super advanced habit that he created.

The one good thing was that he stood up to Cap and drove the creation of the wavelength device instead of completely relying on Shuri to do it for him

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: September 09, 2022, 04:35:28 pm »
Shuri "doesn't have to be anyone but herself to be great" in Wakanda #1

http://www.gamesradar.com/shuri-doesnt-have-to-be-anyone-but-herself-to-be-great-in-wakanda-1/

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: September 09, 2022, 06:14:45 pm »
And yet they are removing T'Challa and putting Shuri in the habit, so clearly they don't have confidence she can just be herself

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: September 13, 2022, 11:37:50 am »
Black Panther Is No Longer a King – But He Can Still Lead the Avengers

http://www.cbr.com/black-panther-not-king-new-chairman-avengers-marvel/

Who is Black Panther – the powers, enemies, and comic book history of Wakanda's leader

http://www.gamesradar.com/black-panther-origins-powers-history-explained/

Black Panther and Namor explained: Everything you need to know before they go to war in Wakanda Forever

http://www.gamesradar.com/black-panther-wakanda-forever-namor-talocan/

Namor - 8 surprising comic secrets about the Black Panther: Wakanda Forever villain

http://www.gamesradar.com/namor-facts-wakanda-forever/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 05:41:16 am by Emperorjones »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: October 12, 2022, 04:14:09 am »
This was a middle school reader level issue. Overly simplistic with terrible character development. Like trying to force a whole story into a half hour avengers episode.  And based on the fight, the Buffalo Solider should be the best hand to hand fighter currently on the planet. I say a cover of issue thirteen, it looks like some of the colonialist solider s are sticking around.

The saddest part is that Ridley is acting as a colonist and slowly tearing down the cultural relevance of Wakanda to replace it with Western ideas. So I guess these two issues are and act of self exposure.

Wakanda #1 was pretty good. Both the Shuri and Narcisse history story. Nothing extraordinary, but for a spinoff book its better than most of the Coates era ones.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 06:37:48 am by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #5303 on: October 12, 2022, 12:04:21 pm »
This was a middle school reader level issue. Overly simplistic with terrible character development. Like trying to force a whole story into a half hour avengers episode.  And based on the fight, the Buffalo Solider should be the best hand to hand fighter currently on the planet. I say a cover of issue thirteen, it looks like some of the colonialist solider s are sticking around.

The saddest part is that Ridley is acting as a colonist and slowly tearing down the cultural relevance of Wakanda to replace it with Western ideas. So I guess these two issues are and act of self exposure.

Wakanda #1 was pretty good. Both the Shuri and Narcisse history story. Nothing extraordinary, but for a spinoff book its better than most of the Coates era ones.

I do not understand why any of us are still reading Ridley or anyone not named Priest, Hudlin, Redjack, or Narcisse who's writing Black Panther.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: October 12, 2022, 12:32:08 pm »
Because I'm not a fair weather fan. Like any fan of a terrible sports team, I stay updated.

I heard Kasper is making appearances in the Daredevil book.
Edit: Its not Kasper, has Cole as his first name and someone mixed them up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 01:14:10 pm by CvilleWakandan »
Reggie Hudlin-

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: October 12, 2022, 02:00:27 pm »
And yet they are removing T'Challa and putting Shuri in the habit, so clearly they don't have confidence she can just be herself

I think that Fiege is going to remove as much of the signs of T'Challa as possible for a few years. Then reintroduce T'Challa in the MCU and 616 simultaneously. Like the gap between Priest and Hudlin.

Because I'm not a fair weather fan. Like any fan of a terrible sports team, I stay updated.

Good answer. I feel where you're coming from, I just do it from a different perspective. For example: the 49ers have been my favorite NFL team for the longest. Then Kaepernick. Now, I don't watch the NFL. It's not that I dislike professional USA style football or the 49ers specifically, I'm just not a fan of the racist NFL Powers That Be. I won't support them. When they're gone? I'm back to the NFL.
s
It's not that I don't like BP. I support BP. I don't support the Coates T'Chumpa Mayor of Suckaville and Sovereign of WAKK[ wack ]-Kanda or this travesty, the #ridBPofRidley vomitous variant of the true [ Priest-Hudlin-McDuffie with Aaron and Liss supplements ] BP.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: October 12, 2022, 02:36:19 pm »

I think that Fiege is going to remove as much of the signs of T'Challa as possible for a few years. Then reintroduce T'Challa in the MCU and 616 simultaneously. Like the gap between Priest and Hudlin.

Good answer. I feel where you're coming from, I just do it from a different perspective. For example: the 49ers have been my favorite NFL team for the longest. Then Kaepernick. Now, I don't watch the NFL. It's not that I dislike professional USA style football or the 49ers specifically, I'm just not a fan of the racist NFL Powers That Be. I won't support them. When they're gone? I'm back to the NFL.
s
It's not that I don't like BP. I support BP. I don't support the Coates T'Chumpa Mayor of Suckaville and Sovereign of WAKK[ wack ]-Kanda or this travesty, the #ridBPofRidley vomitous variant of the true [ Priest-Hudlin-McDuffie with Aaron and Liss supplements ] BP.

But if racism was a boycott issue with you or anyone else who did, they shouldn't be watching sports or television on general at all. It didnt start with Kaepernick.
Reggie Hudlin-

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: October 16, 2022, 09:07:15 am »

s

But if racism was a boycott issue with you or anyone else who did, they shouldn't be watching sports or television on general at all. It didnt start with Kaepernick.

another terrific response, to which I reply: I watch almost zero sports. And when I do? I'm supporting specific athletes who are opening doors that were closed, and/or providing shine on opportunities that we normally don't see offered to us and which aren't popular in the hood [ like Black MMA champs do ] and/or are doing things for the people and our communities. Like Claressa Shields...who does ALL OF THE ABOVE and who is my favorite because of that.

For the most part? It's me, my apps, and my own activity. My apps? Packed with Black education, entertainment, etc. That's the best  I can do for now, so that's what I make sure that I do.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #5308 on: October 20, 2022, 06:14:43 pm »

BLACK PANTHER #13

JOHN RIDLEY (W) • GERMÁN PERALTA (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS

VARIANT COVER BY MATTEO SCALERA • SPOILER VARIANT COVER BY MIGUEL MERCADO

CLASSIC HOMAGE VARIANT COVER BY PACO MEDINA

Removed from the Avengers, exiled from Wakanda, and on his own against a threat with deep ties to his past, T’Challa is at the end of the line. In order to stop this new group of terrorists, Black Panther and his ragtag group of allies get caught up in a heated battle against the Avengers themselves, who are determined to make T’Challa understand that he’s been benched. But the battle’s not lost yet – not when an unexpected ally arrives at the fray to stand at T’Challa’s side!

Let me guess, Storm or Tosin!

This must be the crescendo for T'Challa's "Get yo ass outta here tour"! Well looks like I'll be moving on to Bishop's and Synch's new books for however long they last. Regular Marvel has nothing for me.

coutesy of CBR's dkrook

That which I highlighted in red made me laugh... hard! All cover no content. So we'll more than likely see the King of Wakanda hobbled and taking a knee or on his back when the Queen of the X-Men or Lil Tos V come in to save the day.

Look at this ridiculous nonsense from the most recent issue.

Political challenges have been a hallmark throughout the Black Panther's comic book history. While most of which were never handled with the sophistication they deserved at the end of the day the reader saw the victory of T'Challa the Black Panther. Though said victories were more often than not were preceded with some kind of humbling of T'Challa, Ridley has set an all time low.

Post the Coates/Ridley era the Black Panther needs a cleansing, a bathing in empowerment. I suggest that while the newly so called "Democratic Republic of Wakanda" plays politics, T'Challa realizes he has been holding himself back, not wanting to flex his full potential out of respect for the desires of others, who are no where near his level of understanding and lacking in the essential rectitude to do what needs to be done.

T'Challa the Black Panther thinks why limit myself to just changing a country or having a positive affect on a world when I can guide, uplift and advance on an intergalactic scale. This is a true challenge  for T'Challa the Black Panther.

T'Challa the Black Panther goes full anti-hero and takes his rightful place as Emperor of the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda.  Now T'Challa the Black Panther's playing field spans five galaxies in which he is sole monarch. Earning the new title The Most Dangerous Man in the Galaxy.

Let the events that occurred during the Coates/Ridley era change T'Challa the Black Panther into the Priest Black Panther 5.0!

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: October 20, 2022, 06:46:05 pm »
 I think the Alex Ross cover reveals the team

Reggie Hudlin-