Author Topic: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther  (Read 616388 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
So, to collect all the feats for BP, I recently read pretty much all of BP's solos rather recently. Just finished Liss's run yesterday and wanted to post some random sh*t up here before I begin finding BP's "non solo" appearances...

Kirbys Run: Just before my time and not my thing AT ALL. Its just too weird.

Gillis Mini Series: 100% the most underrated story in the mythos. Its just a great story that sees T'challa at a "low" (abandoned by Bast) while still allowing him to kick ass and show off some feats (kicking the Supremacists ass) whle showing a great ideological discussion/argument with Bast. Can't believe no one really ever talks about it. Am I the only one that loved the story? sh*t just needs some updated art

Pather Rage: Straight up hot garbage. If this "classic" story is this well received, I can't wait to see how horrid the other Jungle Action stuff is. I STRUGGLED to get through this. I caught myself many times just looking at the pictures and scanning along bc I wanted thsi sh*t to end.

Priest Run: Most of the stuff said about priest run has been said. I will say this run is harder to get through "in one sitting" than Hudlins and Liss's. Felt liek I needed a break from it at times due to have convoluted and dense the story was. Priest's run definitely has the highest peaks IMO (client, EotS 1 and 2, Sturm un Drang) but damn... it has some really, really bad arcs in there, the ending was horrid, and Ross's role as narrator should have ended after like EotS 1.

Hudlin: It was a comic book about a black superhero king who didn't give a f*ck lol. Somehow, despite selling, it is underrated big time. I read through it easy...just wanted to keep reading. First time I read through it long ago, as a new reader to black panther, I think I was influenced by BP fans who ride or died with Priest and din't like the run. This second time reading through it completely was totally different as my mindset was totally different. I can't remember a single "bad" arc. It didn't peak as nearly as high as Priests run (although WitBP, CW/marriage tour were great, SWaD not technically by Hudlin but its still my favorite story ever) but it didn't plummet into sh*t either.

Liss: I love it. Premise is stupid as hell but T'chalal was bustin heads from issue 1. This was the perfect combination of Priests "always 10 steps ahead" panther and Hudlins "whoop yer ass" panther. It is just held back by a stupid ass premise. i would have loved to see Liss get to right a story abotu a full powered, fully realized panther with the resources of Wakanda behind him.

IDK, just rambling on a sunday morning. Now I gotta decide to try and find "old" avengers comics with BP (ugh...) or hickman's run (soo long...). Lord help me

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Coates held an impromptu Q&A about his BP book on his twitter. Here are the notable questions. Copied and pasted the notable questions (with Coates' answers) below. More question on his twitter feed.

Q: how many issues do you want to do?
A: 60.

Q: Is the BP hulkbuster armor going to show up in your run?
A: Been talking to @gregpak and @Wil_Moss about that. Lotta Cho fans in Wakanda.

Q: will T'Challa and the Hatut Zeraze's ideological differences resurface at some point?
A: Not quite. T'Challa doesn't have much to lean on. Lotta people are dead. Not much time to air differences.

Q: Have you read Chris Priest's run? Is that an influence?
A: Of Course!

Q: what can we expect of black panther #5?
A: A plan.

Q: regret anything?
A: I mean, I regret I wasn't as good in Issue #1 as I was by the time I got to #12. But, oh well. No way outta that.

Q: In your head, how many seasons (or the comic equivalent of seasons) were you writing this for?
A: Five. 60 issues.

Q: do you feel its more important for T'Challa to show more progress as a warrior or as a king
A: IDK. I think of the divide as being between "hero" and "king"--two ideas I think are in conflict. I don't chose tho.

Q: other than establish contact between these two characters (Tetu and Changamire), what's the purpose of this interaction?
A: Can't say without spoiling. But not a great scene. Too many words in the bubble. Dialogue thick as brambles.

Q: Last Deadpool, Black Panther gets beyond pissed at him for attempting to spoil Game of Thrones, he really that big a fan?
A: Of course. They telling his story.

Q: Will Taku return to Black Panther's inner circle?
A: Think he kinda has to.

Q: will there be any additional threats to the kingdom?
A: F*ck yeah.

Q: what do you say to the readers that say there isn't enough action happening?
A: I don't know what to say. I can only write the book I want to read. I hope people like it. I'm sorry if they don't.

Q: What has been the best or most interesting part of writing the Black Panther comics so far?
A: Learning the importance of structure. So key in comics.

Q: was there any push back about the direction you wanted to take black panther
A: None.

Q: what was the inspiration for the new Dora milaje armor?
A: We just wanted something that made them look like the soldiers they are. @Stelfreeze came through as he always does.

Q: of all of the characters in the last arch, who has the best intentions, in your opinion?
A: They all have the best intentions. "Maybe that was the problem..."

Q: how do you plot the logistics of a fight scene? like do you plot from the end backwards or let it flow organically?
A: Weakest part of my game. Been watching a lot of action films and reading a lot of @brubaker and taking notes.

Q: is the BP Book 1 listed for release on 9/13 the entire first story arc?
A: Yeah but "arc" is confusing. Think of it as Act I in a three act play.

Q: single favorite panel from the run so far?
A: The Ramonda panel in Issue #4 when T'Challa picks her up. Effed me up the first time I saw it.

Q: would you consider the conflict between monarchy & democracy to be a central theme to the run?
A: One of the big ones.

Q: have you considered doing more superhero books after Panther?
A: Not since I started. I think about T'Challa way more than is healthy.

Q: Any thoughts on the Nighthawk book?
A: Adore it.

Q: what helped you identify the eventual new identity of Wakanda at the end of your run?
A: Thinking a lot about the country, itself. Not just its problems, but its established traditions and institutions.

Q: is Bast still relevant?
A: Always.

Q: “when are we going to get some action? it's just a bunch of talking so far...
A: “It is what it is. Nothing wrong with dropping it. Lotta great action books out there. Everything ain't for everyone.”

Q: Was there a struggle with authenticity in creating this new Wakanda? How are you avoiding pathologizing?
A: Pathology comes when you sub in magic for history to explain broad problems.

Q: so does how will BP push back against democratization without becoming Doctor Doom?
A: I mean, that's issues 5-12, right?

Q: Do you love writing the character?
A: Enormously. Was sad when I got to issue #12.

Q: what's your turn around time between final draft & production? Also, has Stelfreeze's art ever inspired you to do a rewrite?
A: Finished Issue #12 just when Issue #1 came out. Wanted to leave room for corrects.

Q:at your Q&A live stream you mentioned senagal influences? Any other cultures? You mentioned Wakanda as a UN of real tribes?
A: Hausa. Maroons of Jamaica. Some Haiti. Some Shona.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:53:39 am by The Wakandan »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
those questions were better than the 2 hr fan club

Id saybefore issue #1, excitment level for this run was 9/10, after issue #1, my excitemetn level was at like 6/10, after number 3, 2/10, after 4, 3/10

after the latest round of interviews... 5/10? Usually his interviews make me depressed but... idk, maybe there is hope.

If #5 is just a rehash of what we have been seeing, then excitement goes to 0. #5 keeps getting hyped as a turning point so....

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Panel from issue 5.

https://twitter.com/tanehisicoates/status/759598472198750208

Brother?

As is "all Wakandans"

As in "fellow HZ"

as in "Hunter"

???

Such a tease lol

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Id saybefore issue #1, excitment level for this run was 9/10, after issue #1, my excitemetn level was at like 6/10, after number 3, 2/10, after 4, 3/10

after the latest round of interviews... 5/10? Usually his interviews make me depressed but... idk, maybe there is hope.

If #5 is just a rehash of what we have been seeing, then excitement goes to 0. #5 keeps getting hyped as a turning point so....

I can see that.  Some of the things he said could be a positive sign but can he do it?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

oh came back for a rape camp question...

- says there are camps like that everywhere, even the US. says this is a wakanda that has had destruction after destruction, thats faced Thanos, phoenix force Namor, Doom... t'challa has other thigns goin on and can't keep track and tchalla has bigger problems. makes a obama is't controlling baltimore connections, tchalla simply has sooo much on his shoulders and so much going on that he can't keep track of everythign an doesn't suck because ofit.

If he thinks there would be those camps in Wakanda because they are everywhere and because Wakandan society is at a breaking point, I wonder where he falls on the "drugs in Wakanda" question.  Those two factors would apply to drugs too.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

#5 being a rehash will result in him losing a notable amount of readers.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Panel from issue 5.

Brother?

As is "all Wakandans"

As in "fellow HZ"

as in "Hunter"

???

Such a tease lol

I'm def curious on who he's talking to in that panel...

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Panel from issue 5.

Brother?

As is "all Wakandans"

As in "fellow HZ"

as in "Hunter"

???

Such a tease lol

Or Shuri?????

Can't be Shuri, she's still in the Djaila.

One possibility that was brought up in CBR was that he's talking to the new Chieftain of the Jabari tribe. Being that T'Challa says "memory of your brother," this new chieftain could be a sibling of Mandla (and M'Baku).

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Panel from issue 5.

Brother?

As is "all Wakandans"

As in "fellow HZ"

as in "Hunter"

???

Such a tease lol

Or Shuri?????

One possibility that was brought up in CBR was that he's talking to the new Chieftain of the Jabari tribe. Being that T'Challa says "memory of your brother," this new chieftain could be a sibling of Mandla (and M'Baku).

hmm thats possible... woudl seem odd to turn his attention to the MA suddenly though. I would assume his full focus is revenge on Tetu adn Co for his mom

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Panel from issue 5.

Brother?

As is "all Wakandans"

As in "fellow HZ"

as in "Hunter"

???

Such a tease lol

Or Shuri?????

hmm thats possible... woudl seem odd to turn his attention to the MA suddenly though. I would assume his full focus is revenge on Tetu adn Co for his mom

If it is indeed the chieftain of the Jabari tribe, perhaps the chieftain is in exile, now that the MAs took over the Jabari lands? Thus, the chieftain comes to T'Challa for aid?

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Panel from issue 5.

I have to admit... This is how I see T'Challa, strong, assertive, wise, straight to the point.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Panel from issue 5.

Brother?

As is "all Wakandans"

As in "fellow HZ"

as in "Hunter"

???

Such a tease lol

Or Shuri?????

Yea I w that over there Lol hen did it come up he had a second brother??? Also could it mean that  my the end of this story the WG could become an ally to the Panther cult?