Author Topic: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther  (Read 623254 times)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Panel from issue 5.

https://twitter.com/tanehisicoates/status/759598472198750208

I have to admit... This is how I see T'Challa, strong, assertive, wise, straight to the point.

If Coates actually seriously delivers T'Challa like this from now on and actually nails It like is intentions are I'd be like

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Coates reduction of Wakanda to Boko Haram Rape Central taints his entire BP run for however long his presence as a writer blights the book.

I don't care what late stage "correction" his arrogant a$$ brings to the equation at this point.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Coates reduction of Wakanda to Boko Haram Rape Central taints his entire BP run for however long his presence as a writer blights the book.

I don't care what late stage "correction" his arrogant a$$ brings to the equation at this point.

I dunno about you, but i would much rather prefer Coates to do a reverse of what happened to Priest /Hudlin then for him to have the same thing happen (ie Priest Panther suffering aneurysm and losing the mantle of Bp and never being seen getting it back because it was cancelled. Hudlin having Doom burn T'Challa alive and Shuri taking over as ruler and T'Challa losingt up till now) where it starts out bad and ends eith him on the rise. As it leaves things positive and gets the crap out of the way early on. Ad i truely think Coates wants to do good, just he is a noob at this and some of what e he wanted based on recent and what happened on panel didn't transition as well as it could of, and how he seems to realize that he messed up  How he portrayed T'Challa, and means to do better in arc two will be telling. All in all if (big If) he comes correct from now on then I would look past this first arc.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I dunno about you, but i would much rather prefer Coates to do a reverse of what happened to Priest /Hudlin then for him to have the same thing happen (ie Priest Panther suffering aneurysm and losing the mantle of Bp and never being seen getting it back because it was cancelled. Hudlin having Doom burn T'Challa alive and Shuri taking over as ruler and T'Challa losingt up till now) where it starts out bad and ends eith him on the rise. As it leaves things positive and gets the crap out of the way early on. Ad i truely think Coates wants to do good, just he is a noob at this and some of what e he wanted based on recent and what happened on panel didn't transition as well as it could of, and how he seems to realize that he messed up  How he portrayed T'Challa, and means to do better in arc two will be telling. All in all if (big If) he comes correct from now on then I would look past this first arc.

I'd rather Coates phuk off to be quite frank.

I can't put it more bluntly than that.

David Liss was a noob to writing comics too when he came onboard as BP scribe back in the day but he still delivered a solid BP book despite the weirdness of the premise.

Coates arrogant a$$  had an agenda in play from jump so all these excuses for the wackness of his delivery are tiresome yo.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

The issue I have with this approach is it might burn off longtime readers and make new people to the book think Panther  is lame and not stick around. This kind of approach IMO would work for a more self-contained story or arc. Plus I don't trust that people will eventually deliver when they make promises about things getting better. That carrot is often held out too much.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

David Liss was a noob to writing comics too when he came onboard as BP scribe back in the day but he still delivered a solid BP book despite the weirdness of the premise.

Coates arrogant a$$  had an agenda in play from jump so all these excuses for the wackness of his delivery are tiresome yo.

It's t really an excuse as more as a personal preference. If Coates delivers and we get a Rocky start and a strong ending to the series and this first 4 issues are the only downside then yea I would be satisfied because all on all I t Bp to have this level support and sales, IF he is Also being portrayed in positive manner  truth of the matter, no Matter what you and I say or do Coates is signed on for years. It's better to have those years be good then shiat. If he is truely acknowledging where he messed up and corrects it then it's good for Bp fans. I don't like the first 4 issue's . Those recent interviews have me atleast hopeful that my original assessment after issue 1 dropped that this story will pick up around issue 5 may be true. We don't be agree 100% I nk we agree right now about  85-90% on things. But I DO want Coates to succeed . Because a fully realized T'Challa with Coates writing correct would be a huge benefit for T'Challa overall especially with movie hype coming nto play ontop f everything Marvel is doing to push him forward

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

It's t really an excuse as more as a personal preference. If Coates delivers and we get a Rocky start and a strong ending to the series and this first 4 issues are the only downside then yea I would be satisfied because all on all I t Bp to have this level support and sales, IF he is Also being portrayed in positive manner  truth of the matter, no Matter what you and I say or do Coates is signed on for years. It's better to have those years be good then shiat. If he is truely acknowledging where he messed up and corrects it then it's good for Bp fans. I don't like the first 4 issue's . Those recent interviews have me atleast hopeful that my original assessment after issue 1 dropped that this story will pick up around issue 5 may be true. We don't be agree 100% I nk we agree right now about  85-90% on things. But I DO want Coates to succeed . Because a fully realized T'Challa with Coates writing correct would be a huge benefit for T'Challa overall especially with movie hype coming nto play ontop f everything Marvel is doing to push him forward

Bro, oates being an X-men fan and wolverine/Storm shipper, automatically disqualifies him as a BP writer as far as I'm concerned.

His arrogant a$$ thought it would be a ballpark to come and disrespect heads like Priest and Hudlin who actually put in real work on the BP mythos, whilst he praised wack ass Hickman to the high heavens as a writer whose take on BP he really enjoyed.

You know Hickman, the guy who started the trend of writing T'Challa as a tactical retard.

I don't care what Coates comes out with next as regards raw dogging the BP mythos with no vaseline.

I give no phuks moving forward.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Bro, oates being an X-men fan and wolverine/Storm shipper, automatically disqualifies him as a BP writer as far as I'm concerned.

His arrogant a$$ thought it would be a ballpark to come and disrespect heads like Priest and Hudlin who actually put in real work on the BP mythos, whilst he praised wack ass Hickman to the high heavens as a writer whose take on BP he really enjoyed.

You know Hickman, the guy who started the trend of writing T'Challa as a tactical retard.

I don't care what Coates comes out with next as regards raw dogging the BP mythos with no vaseline.

I give no phuks moving forward.

And that's ere we agree and disagree in one post. I don't care for him giving as much praise o Hickman as he did despite him later giving props to Priest. The Xmen thing is whatever. Priest wanted daredevil and was disappointed hen he got Bp. So I t Hold it against writers if Bp wasn't their absolute favorite so long  their run cones correct. because he is going to  around for a long time. Atleast for is season and another guaranteed, and wants to do 5 years worth of Bp. So I would like for him  realize like in his recent interviews what he is doing wrong and to correct that. He is taking the MA out of the book for now with more full focus on T'Challa. He is having T'Challa come off (hopefully) how we recognize him as the tactical genius. He probably won't e at Priest level tactical (no one has come close except maybe Liss and that was still very much Priest lite) but if he has him  at McDuffie or Hudlin's level then that will be satisfying. I'm looking at the long overall picture. Because we. Have little say.

I agree there are things I hate and will never accept and hate that T'Challa and Wakanda were portrayed in that light. But if the rest of the series overshadows that, Then it can be looked past. IE "Coates 60 issue is good, but ignore 1-4 and the rest is Gucci "

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
I think for me, Coates still has to prove he can even write a T'challa I like. He hasn't done it yet, at all. Its been 4 issues of Mopey Pants.

So, despite all the positive energy coming from his interviews, I am still not even close to excited or optimistic. I am more curious. What version of T'challa is this in peak form? Priest? Hudlin? Liss? Jungle Action?

Hell, in 4 issues, a new reader wouldn't even know T'challa is superhuman......

And can Coates even translate it over? He is already having issues translating stuff from his brain to the page 4 issues in. Can he translate HIS "come correct" T'challa to page? Remember, he thinks t'challa WON that confrontation with Tetu and Zenzi in #3 when everyone here thought it was a horrible showing.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
I think for me, Coates still has to prove he can even write a T'challa I like. He hasn't done it yet, at all. Its been 4 issues of Mopey Pants.

So, despite all the positive energy coming from his interviews, I am still not even close to excited or optimistic. I am more curious. What version of T'challa is this in peak form? Priest? Hudlin? Liss? Jungle Action?

Hell, in 4 issues, a new reader wouldn't even know T'challa is superhuman......

And can Coates even translate it over? He is already having issues translating stuff from his brain to the page 4 issues in. Can he translate HIS "come correct" T'challa to page? Remember, he thinks t'challa WON that confrontation with Tetu and Zenzi in #3 when everyone here thought it was a horrible showing.

I personally don't think it was a horrible showing for T'Challa (imho) as he seemed to have learned from his previous encounter with Zenzi. In fact, there was a bit of strategy I think:

-Took out a bunch of goons quickly.
-Being aware of what Zenzi can do, he knocks her out immediately.
-Once he knocks out Zenzi, he quickly calls out the HZ, which is a recall from #2 (him not wanting his troops to be used against him via Zenzi.). He then faces Tetu and we all know how that went.

All that being said, I def agree: T'Challa didn't win that battle, no matter how Coates wants to spin it. Despite some of the stuff that could be deemed an improvement depending on one's perspective, the fact is T'Challa needs a W. Not just because of the stuff he's gone through since the past few years, but even for this book's sake. T'Challa has to be shown as someone who is not only capable but is someone who decisively gets things done. The MAs, Zenzi, and Tetu have been shown to do just that. That hasn't happened to T'Challa et.

I think it was Ezyo who mentioned that one missed opportunity for that scene was T'Challa and the HZ apprehending Zenzi. That would big for T'Challa and, funny enough, could've setup a very interesting scene between T'Challa and Zenzi that I feel would've fit very well with issue 4. Coates went a different direction unfortunately.

A lot of pressure on issue 5 as a result. That issue has to hit the ground running especially with T'Challa talking all that talk.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:49:56 am by The Wakandan »

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Speaking of #5, that preview scene of the two goons punching T'Challa better be on some "I'll give you freebies before you meet your doom."

-The goons punch T'Challa. It doesn't hurt him.

-T'Challa proceeds to beat the living crap out of the two goons.

-He turns around and tells the other goons to leave or face the same fate thos two goons just faced.

-The remaining goons run out of fear.

^^That's one way it could work. Outside of something like that I don't know why T'Challa would remove his mask and allow to random dudes to actually punch them, unless Coates is simply trying to chump him.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:25:32 am by The Wakandan »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Replace Chang/Ramonda talk with Ramonda/Zenzi talk.....  :o

i mean, seems Zenzi is gonna be sidelined anyway... if her only power is "revealing" then she has limited use outside of inciting riots anyway,.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Speaking of #5, that preview scene of the two goons punching T'Challa better be on some "I'll give you freebies before you meet your doom."

-The goons punch T'Challa. It doesn't hurt him.

-T'Challa proceeds to beat the living crap out of the two goons.

-He turns around and tells the other goons to leave or face the same fate thos two goons just faced.

-The remaining goons run out of fear.

^^That's one way it could work. Outside of something like that I don't know why T'Challa would remove his mask and allow to random dudes to actually punch them, unless Coates is simply trying to chump him.

See, this is what I mean by "who is competent T'challa to Coates?" We haven't really seen it.

For all we know, its Jungle Action, try hard T'challa. Which is just gross bleh.

I would just like evidence at the very least that TCHALLA HAS SUPER POWERS lol

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

i mean, seems Zenzi is gonna be sidelined anyway... if her only power is "revealing" then she has limited use outside of inciting riots anyway,.

Exactly. We'd also get a big clue on why she's doing it, why Tetu is doing it (from her perspective of course). Zenzi could even throw accusations on T'Challa based on previous events (Not just NA and TRO, but the Back to Africa story, which seems directly relevant to Zenzi), only this time, T'Challa defends himself and throw back accusations of his own. It really could've been an ideological debate in the same vein as Ramonda / Changamire.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Exactly. We'd also get a big clue on why she's doing it, why Tetu is doing it (from her perspective of course). Zenzi could even throw accusations on T'Challa based on previous events (Not just NA and TRO, but the Back to Africa story, which seems directly relevant to Zenzi), only this time, T'Challa defends himself and throw back accusations of his own. It really could've been an ideological debate in the same vein as Ramonda / Changamire.

Yes! YES!! Excatly i will forever more say that it was a missed opportunity on Coates end to have Tetu and T'Challa meet like that and for T'Challa to not have either Forced a Retreat from Tetu, or for them to not yet meet (i prefer the later as to not downplay Tetu's power, however powerful he is supposed to be) so that T'Challa could get the big win.

Think of it this way, T'Challa Captures Zenzi.. In issue 4 she wakes up in a cell, hooked up to a machine T'Challa comes in, tells her not to bother using her powers, he has scanned her brain etc etc the machine he created will suppress her power or give her a rude awaking if she tries to harness it. He asks her about Tetus and the People, she dances around the question, starts throwing out accusations about his rule (and by extension Shuri's rule too) and how he failed his people and so forth. T'Challa counters that with a remark along the lines of "there are threats to Wakanda bigger then them or myself" and drops some accusations himself. lots of back to back, and intensity, she gives him little information to go off of, but warns him that Tetu is more powerful then he seems and  that he should fear him (building up the baddie) and T'Challa drops a dope line of "I have faced advanced alien races, cosmic beings, and those who would claim the power of god, I fear no man." and leaves. then the rest of the stuff happens Zenzi gets struck by all the agony of the people which i assume would change her tune a bit the next time they talk..

Again failed opportunity