Author Topic: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther  (Read 621138 times)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
From this.....

To this.

How many points is that for T'Challa again?

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Not to mention from this...

To this... SMH

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Bravo Brotha Ture, this is so getting reposted on CBR.  8)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Bravo Brotha Ture, this is so getting reposted on CBR.  8)

Yessir!!! You now how we do Brotha Sal.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Coates' Black Panther Is...

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Just checked the top 10 bestsellers list in Comixology. BP #4 is the only Marvel book besides Civil War to be in the top 10. DC is killing it right now.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Rebooting a whole line helps with sales. Marvel just relauches new number ones every 12 months... DC just Reboots everything and goes "my bad" every 5 years lol.

Bendis proves why he gets to do what he wants at Marvel though...

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I was talking to my LCS guy and he tells me that he hears nothing but good about Coates BP and so far issues 1-3 sold out.  He also said most of the buyers of BP are not traditional fans.  In other words, Coates' BP is bringing in many new buyers to the comic store.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I was talking to my LCS guy and he tells me that he hears nothing but good about Coates BP and so far issues 1-3 sold out.  He also said most of the buyers of BP are not traditional fans.  In other words, Coates' BP is bringing in many new buyers to the comic store.

Basically unfans.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Basically unfans.

Potentially new fans.  The thing is, if comics are going to survive, we need a major infusion of new fans.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile

Basically unfans.

People not familiar with the character. They don't have the bias of the "jobber" related to the Black Panther history so when they see him fail they just wait for the moment in which (like most heroes) he will eventually win instead of thinking that the writer is out to destroy the character.
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Thats good to hear, All i care about though is if these fans are gonna stay, that Coates delivers a powerful T'challa in this 2nd and 3rd Arc. He already had T'challa drop a Dope line. He cannot allow him to fall into the same trap Hickman's BP did

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

Basically unfans.

Potentially new fans.  The thing is, if comics are going to survive, we need a major infusion of new fans.

"New fans" of a Black Panther who is inept in the governing of his nation, outsmarted by neophytes and ignorant of the  human trafficking occurring in his country.  New fans whose first image of the Black Panther is him taking a knee with a bloody head; their first visit to Wakanda, where most of what they witness is fighting, imprisonment, torture and women being abused.  "New fans" of the Black Panther and most especially old fans deserve better.

Coates could have easily plied his trade and written the story about how the neighboring nations of Niganda and Mohannda given their proximity to events were collaterally devastated by Namor's inundation and Thanos' attack respectively. Work stoppage, rape camps, abuse of women and human trafficking emerged as a result in these ravaged countries while Wakanda seemed to bounce back unscathed.

The final offense to these two ruined nations occurred when promised Wakandan aid never manifested. This was due to a small and secret cabal of Wakandan dissidents called the Desturi. Fueled by the ideologies of Killmonger, motivated by the near takeover of Dr. Doom and machinations of the Kingpin, they maneuvered themselves to be put in charge of relief efforts. They set up  and empowered Zenzi using the secret tech that their scientist used to augment Solomon Prey. They recruited Tetu and helped prepare Nigandans to engage in guerrilla warfare against Wakanda.

The army of women warriors tasked with fighting Doom's robots misnomer Dora Milaje were in fact Usiku Wa Manane Malaika (Midnight Angels in Swahili) as there can only be two Dora Milaje. With Okoye the last true Dora out tracking her renegade sister Nakia, Aneka and Ayo of the Usiku wa Manane Malaika become the temporary guardswomen of the king. Due in part to their sexual orientation and love for one another they have no desire to marry T'Challa but remain loyal until Okoye returns. Upon her return Aneka and Ayo seemingly convince Okoye to join their cause.

Aneka and Ayo are approached by the Desturi and beguiled into believing that T'Challa the Black Panther and the nation of Wakanda has done nothing to help the people of those affected nations, so they go on covert missions to exact some meed of justice. With Okoye in tow they meet with Queen Ce'Athauna Asira  (aka Queen Divine Justice) of the Jabari tribe and she too joins them.

Meanwhile T'Challa has been spending much of his time in the ancestral realm communing with his ancestors and repairing the damaged relationships with his father and past Black Panthers when he discovers Shuri is not among them. Because of events that occurred during the Secret Wars and T'Challa's use of the Infinity Gauntlet Shuri resides in the Djalia (plane of Wakandan memory). Before T'Challa can begin his spiritual trek to find Shuri's soul he has to deal with boarder conflicts caused by Nigandan refugees.

Coates or any other writer committed to interpreting the Black Panther correctly could have easily written this. Imagine the political and cultural discussion that could be had between Aneka, Ayo, Okoye and Queen Divine Justice. Visualize T'Challa casually walking through the angry refugee camp and not a single person under Spider-man level strength can touch him due to his force push.

We get to see Desturi touting capitalism and democracy. T'Challa flexes his three moves ahead muscles as he reveals Okoye and Queen Divine Justice were infiltrators, spying on the Midnight Angels and the Desturi. The kicker... the Black Panther discovers Shuri is being held captive in the Djalia by Killmonger who has been empowered by Thanos. Take it away.

Coates' penchant for for talking points around monarchies, democracy, feminisn and such can all be read just not at the expense of T'Challa the Black Panther nor Wakanda.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog