Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley... Believe it or Not - Moratorium in March!  (Read 1467079 times)

Offline Booshman

• View Profile

The core idea of bringing Wakandans to the front of the BP story under Coates is interesting, but he doesn't value the conventions that made previous versions of T'Challa compelling. That misunderstanding may reflect some of his commitments to Afropessimism, but it has alienated many readers and will sabotage the long-term engagement with Panther leading up to the movie in 2018.

Coates in GENERAL is ridiculously pessimistic. Like..."You need to make an appointment with a shrink." pessimistic. Like "Donald Trump's Speech at the Republican National Convention was a of a utopia in comparison." pessimistic. It's a key trait with his (Coates') writing for The Atlantic.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I agree about everything said, including the bare stomach; which I think is funny because Coates made such a big deal about the DM's costume being too revealing.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
- Ignoring the scans from the crappy issue -

To be fair EVERYONE in that issue got jobbed out to Vision. It was even hinted that Monica and Blue Marvel lost to him. Which is complete and utter nonsense.

Haven't seen the issue yet, so I can't directly comment on that battle, but Vision is very powerful.  He's twice beaten Hyperion faster than Thor could.  And he's more powerful today than back then.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

I agree about everything said, including the bare stomach; which I think is funny because Coates made such a big deal about the DM's costume being too revealing.

I thought exactly that, soon after seeing the pic.

Coates was big on the Doras' outfits prior to his run, to the point that he and Stelfreeze thought about new uniforms that pretty much covers them up and Stelfreeze ultimately got it done. Why they have Shuri's stomach bare, in light of Coates' views on the Doras, I have no idea.

Not to mention, how is that going to work when in battle? That's is a clear and obvious weak spot, while the rest of her body (for the most part) has protection. Perhaps she'll use mysticism as additional protection or something, but as is, it's definitely not a practical choice.

Overall, very cool costume and very traditional looking too, but I hope they address that weak spot as far as battling is concerned.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:22:41 am by The Wakandan »

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

The core idea of bringing Wakandans to the front of the BP story under Coates is interesting, but he doesn't value the conventions that made previous versions of T'Challa compelling. That misunderstanding may reflect some of his commitments to Afropessimism, but it has alienated many readers and will sabotage the long-term engagement with Panther leading up to the movie in 2018.

Coates in GENERAL is ridiculously pessimistic. Like..."You need to make an appointment with a shrink." pessimistic. Like "Donald Trump's Speech at the Republican National Convention was a of a utopia in comparison." pessimistic. It's a key trait with his (Coates') writing for The Atlantic.

Coates often mentioned that some of his most memorable Spider-Man and X-Men stories are when the characters went through a whooooolllllllee lot of trouble/strife/etc, and then "win" (whatever winning meant in each respective story) at the stories' conclusion.

It's evident he's using that style of storytelling in this BP book, and in a rather slow-paced manner too.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Coates was big on the Doras' outfits prior to his run, to the point that he and Stelfreeze thought about new uniforms that pretty much covers them up and Stelfreeze ultimately got it done. Why they have Shuri's stomach bare, in light of Coates' views on the Doras, I have no idea.

Not to mention, how is that going to work when in battle? That's is a clear and obvious weak spot, while the rest of her body (for the most part) has protection. Perhaps she'll use mysticism as additional protection or something, but as is, it's definitely not a practical choice.

Overall, very cool costume and very traditional looking too, but I hope they address that weak spot as far as battling is concerned.

Well, let's face it, in comics, fantasy fiction, science fiction, women often wear clothing that is just not tactically useful, from Wonder Woman's high heel shoes to Tigra's bikini, action women consider looks over usefulness.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

Well, let's face it, in comics, fantasy fiction, science fiction, women often wear clothing that is just not tactically useful, from Wonder Woman's high heel shoes to Tigra's bikini, action women consider looks over usefulness.

Good point there, lol.

I guess I have higher standards for the BP-verse, being that I'm a fan and all, but yea its part of an industry with a rather consistent practice on this issue.

Hopefully our predictions of Shuri becoming a mystic are true, as that will allow me to have some suspension of disbelief (she can use mysticism to protect herself from big blows). If not, it'll be quite weird to see.

I'm still weirded out by many of Storm's outfits when she goes out to fight, but at least she has elemental powers to protect herself. It might be a reach, but it's better than nothing.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Honestly it would be completely ironic given how big a deal Coates nade about it  and how revealing Shuris outfit Is. Maybe this only applied to the Dora's

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

Honestly it would be completely ironic given how big a deal Coates nade about it  and how revealing Shuris outfit Is. Maybe this only applied to the Dora's

Assuming that's the case, the obvious question would be...why?

Even if it really isn't, it doesn't explain why they bared the stomach area for Shuri's costume, but pretty much covered up the Doras, especially after his statements about them at the start of his run.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:42:35 am by The Wakandan »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Even if it really isn't, it doesn't explain why they bared the stomach area for Shuri's costume, but pretty much covered up the Doras, especially after his statements about them at the start of his run.

Hypocrisy really. I mean he makes a big deal out of it then has Shuris outfit be revealing? I guess it's okay for Shuri to be "Eye Candy" but not his pet characters? Plus no one ever saw then as T'Challas personal harem, T'Challa never took advantage of them. Hell i dont think any Panther has because they were to be there to unify the tribe's. It's just a cool aspect taking out because he is too small minded to realize how cool they werehell there are other heroes who their girlfriends are essentially eye Candy. Atleast the Dora's do cool sh*t

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

Hypocrisy really. I mean he makes a big deal out of it then has Shuris outfit be revealing? I guess it's okay for Shuri to be "Eye Candy" but not his pet characters? Plus no one ever saw then as T'Challas personal harem, T'Challa never took advantage of them. Hell i dont think any Panther has because they were to be there to unify the tribe's. It's just a cool aspect taking out because he is too small minded to realize how cool they werehell there are other heroes who their girlfriends are essentially eye Candy. Atleast the Dora's do cool sh*t

Perhaps so. It's looking like it at the moment.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Courtesy of Rumble at CBR:

Quote from: Rumble;2351687

Daaaaamn, BP saw Miles wrongly incarcerated and initiated them black-lives-matter protocols lol

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
Courtesy of Rumble at CBR:

Quote from: Rumble;2351687

Daaaaamn, BP saw Miles wrongly incarcerated and initiated them black-lives-matter protocols lol

SOMEBODY GIVE RUMBLE A POUND FROM ME, YOUR BOI S. TO THE I.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Everytime T'challa shows up elsewhere to do something or say something cool, it gets more and more depressing reading his own book.

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
- Ignoring the scans from the crappy issue -

To be fair EVERYONE in that issue got jobbed out to Vision. It was even hinted that Monica and Blue Marvel lost to him. Which is complete and utter nonsense.

Haven't seen the issue yet, so I can't directly comment on that battle, but Vision is very powerful.  He's twice beaten Hyperion faster than Thor could.  And he's more powerful today than back then.

Yeah, Vision is powerful. No doubt. But Blue Marvel beat King Hyperion when he merely stopped "holding back". The same KH who killed every single Sentry, Hulk, and Hyperion on every single world.