Author Topic: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther  (Read 600851 times)

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Esteemed Brother S.I the book is about a 6.5/10 is okay but had potential to be a solid 8/10 or better. There are some good things but ultimately the action and the large amount of panel space divulged to Shuris side story, and Changamire and Tetu, and Zenzis stuff taking up space on what should of been a mostly  crew heavy debut. Again there are some positives but it had so much more potential and was a big let down given the hype. Essentially Coates was inspired by Hickman's storytelling he also adopted his convolution as well. And there aren't enough panels for all of this.

Once you read it though. I posted a quote from CBR from mbeezy, gimme your thoughts on their theory when you get the chance

Now that you mentioned it, #7 should've been strictly about the Crew and then Shuri's Djalia story.

This would've allowed #8 to have the convo between Tetu, Zenzi, and Changamire, in addition to Shuri's return in #8. Combine the way Tetu's convo ended with Shuri returning and you have a great alley-oop opportunity that would've built a lot of anticipation for #9.

A bit of armchair quarterbacking, but I feel that would've been a good (and satisfying) look.

Its another addition to the list of missed opportunity.. Could you imagine how badass this book would be of Coates did things differently? Keeping the same story but slight adjustments? Such wasted potential

One of those signs that Coates is a first-timer at writing comics.

So long as he lands that landing. I really don't want a repeat of Doomwar.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Esteemed Brother S.I the book is about a 6.5/10 is okay but had potential to be a solid 8/10 or better. There are some good things but ultimately the action and the large amount of panel space divulged to Shuris side story, and Changamire and Tetu, and Zenzis stuff taking up space on what should of been a mostly  crew heavy debut. Again there are some positives but it had so much more potential and was a big let down given the hype. Essentially Coates was inspired by Hickman's storytelling he also adopted his convolution as well. And there aren't enough panels for all of this.

Once you read it though. I posted a quote from CBR from mbeezy, gimme your thoughts on their theory when you get the chance

Now that you mentioned it, #7 should've been strictly about the Crew and then Shuri's Djalia story.

This would've allowed #8 to have the convo between Tetu, Zenzi, and Changamire, in addition to Shuri's return in #8. Combine the way Tetu's convo ended with Shuri returning and you have a great alley-oop opportunity that would've built a lot of anticipation for #9.

A bit of armchair quarterbacking, but I feel that would've been a good (and satisfying) look.

Its another addition to the list of missed opportunity.. Could you imagine how badass this book would be of Coates did things differently? Keeping the same story but slight adjustments? Such wasted potential

One of those signs that Coates is a first-timer at writing comics.

So long as he lands that landing. I really don't want a repeat of Doomwar.

A reverse DW could work as to this point he doesn't have time to turn things around just about.. though I feel like it will just be bad through and through, given the videos match nothing in how the comics play out. So while he is so proud of his ending I am expecting the worst and hoping for simply "Okay"

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
SI, you forget; in comics the rules of magic are higher than the gods.  If the rules of magic state that the enemy must accompany the brother to bring back the sister, then Bast must obey.

No, Brother Kip, I didn't forget these things. I simply noted that none of that stopped Neptune and Namor, and that I don't see any magic rules ANYWHERE that state that the ENEMY must accompany the brother to bring back the sister...but we have specific formula from the oldest religion and science in the history of the world. The very religion and science and philosophy that spawned literally every science, discipline, art, philosophy, expression etc in human history. And that is MAAT. Our salvation system. Which directly disputes such notions by showing different formulae and methods in works like THE BOOK OF COMING FORTH BY DAY AND NIGHT. Remember these books?

http://www.lojsociety.org/study_files/Metu_Neter_Volume_1_by_Ra_Un_Amen_Nefer.jpg

http://www.melanindvds.com/images/metuneter2.jpg

Read them. They make my point ironclad.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
SI, you forget; in comics the rules of magic are higher than the gods.  If the rules of magic state that the enemy must accompany the brother to bring back the sister, then Bast must obey.

No, Brother Kip, I didn't forget these things. I simply noted that none of that stopped Neptune and Namor, and that I don't see any magic rules ANYWHERE that state that the ENEMY must accompany the brother to bring back the sister...but we have specific formula from the oldest religion and science in the history of the world. The very religion and science and philosophy that spawned literally every science, discipline, art, philosophy, expression etc in human history. And that is MAAT. Our salvation system. Which directly disputes such notions by showing different formulae and methods in works like THE BOOK OF COMING FORTH BY DAY AND NIGHT. Remember these books?

http://www.lojsociety.org/study_files/Metu_Neter_Volume_1_by_Ra_Un_Amen_Nefer.jpg

I'm not saying that IS the way.  What I'm saying is that the writer could create a senerio where that Namor is necessary, that has nothing to do with his ability.   That was just an example.

This is comics, moreso now more than ever there are no set rules for the resurrection of the dead.  Even continuity doesn't hold sway anymore.    What is in real history, mythology our previous stories is irrelevant unless the writer wants to include it.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I'm not saying that IS the way.  What I'm saying is that the writer could create a senerio where that Namor is necessary, that has nothing to do with his ability.   That was just an example.

This is comics, moreso now more than ever there are no set rules for the resurrection of the dead.  Even continuity doesn't hold sway anymore.    What is in real history, mythology our previous stories is irrelevant unless the writer wants to include it.

I completely agree with the sensible post you wrote above. That is why I say that it is my OPINION that using such dodges as ignoring continuity and ignoring real history, mythology, our history, etc is ESPECIALLY WEAK WRITING FOR A CONSCIOUS AFRIKAN WRITER WHOSE INFO BASE INCLUDES COMMENTS SPECIFICALLY ALLUDING TO OUR AFRIKA AND AFRIKAN AMERICAN SPIRITUAL PAST, CULTURE, ETC. THIS MAN WROTE ABOUT THE DJALIA. AN EVEN MORE POTENT WAY TO MAKE TCHALLA CLEARLY AFRIKA AND NOT "AMERICAN" IS TO FULLY EMBRACE THE CONTINUITY THAT PRIEST TO HICKMAN SET UP WITH ALL THINGS PANTHER INCLUDING BASTET [ BAST ], AND THE MAGNIFICENCE ALL THAT IMPLIES.

This is incredibly fertile ground for any and every kind of story you can possibly imagine. It even helps to explain the reason why women are so incredibly, massively attracted to TChalla...because Bastet herself is the most sensuous of the Pantheon headed by Ptah and/or Ra . For instance, Man-Ape and his whole Jabari Tribe could be worshippers of Thoth...or a facet of Thoth. Grounding Man-Ape in Thoth's lineage makes perfect sense, what with the Baboon imagery used with Thoth, and aligns with TChalla rockin with Bastet The Panther Goddess. It gives us incredible options. Like...an Ankh Kimoyo Card. Or Scarab Scintillator Energy Screen. Or...other stuff that's in my fanfic. Lol.

All while providing the added intriguing element of authentic history and a whole vista of storytelling options that are simply not present with the removal of this integral real world aspect of history based storytelling.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I completely agree with the sensible post you wrote above. That is why I say that it is my OPINION that using such dodges as ignoring continuity and ignoring real history, mythology, our history, etc is ESPECIALLY WEAK WRITING FOR A CONSCIOUS AFRIKAN WRITER WHOSE INFO BASE INCLUDES COMMENTS SPECIFICALLY ALLUDING TO OUR AFRIKA AND AFRIKAN AMERICAN SPIRITUAL PAST, CULTURE, ETC. THIS MAN WROTE ABOUT THE DJALIA. AN EVEN MORE POTENT WAY TO MAKE TCHALLA CLEARLY AFRIKA AND NOT "AMERICAN" IS TO FULLY EMBRACE THE CONTINUITY THAT PRIEST TO HICKMAN SET UP WITH ALL THINGS PANTHER INCLUDING BASTET [ BAST ], AND THE MAGNIFICENCE ALL THAT IMPLIES.

This is incredibly fertile ground for any and every kind of story you can possibly imagine. It even helps to explain the reason why women are so incredibly, massively attracted to TChalla...because Bastet herself is the most sensuous of the Pantheon headed by Ptah and/or Ra . For instance, Man-Ape and his whole Jabari Tribe could be worshippers of Thoth...or a facet of Thoth. Grounding Man-Ape in Thoth's lineage makes perfect sense, what with the Baboon imagery used with Thoth, and aligns with TChalla rockin with Bastet The Panther Goddess. It gives us incredible options. Like...an Ankh Kimoyo Card. Or Scarab Scintillator Energy Screen. Or...other stuff that's in my fanfic. Lol.

All while providing the added intriguing element of authentic history and a whole vista of storytelling options that are simply not present with the removal of this integral real world aspect of history based storytelling.

See, that's always been one thing I don't like.  I don't like that the PG is Bast.  Wakanda is its own nation, so why does it borrow a Pantheon from Egypt?  PG should be uniquely Wakandan.  Its culture, its mythology, its history is 10,000 years old (at least) and it is a unique people.  No other nation is like Wakanda, so its Pantheon, its culture, its magic, even its science should be unique, unlike anything else on earth.  That's how I would have written it, but since I wasn't in charge, it's not.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Yeah, I liked it better when it was just a vague "Panther God"

Was Hickman the first to put Basts name on it? I can't remember. It was lazy whoever did it

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Was Hickman the first to put Basts name on it? I can't remember. It was lazy whoever did it

No it was Priest.

Bast and the Egyptian Pantheon was named specifically to facilitate the Moon Knight
team-up, as dude is also powered by (or is actively being driven insane by) an Egyptian God.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
There is a certain mysteriousness that comes from The Panther God, without putting a name to it. I do think that having PG be nameless would of been ideal. Its just cool.

Though With Coates, who knows whats gonna happen, maybe he might said Bast is male and rejected Shuri because he is sexist or something

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Agree with Wakanda having its own pantheon. The name (though it came late in the Panther mythos)  Damisa-Sarki would have worked. All human Black Panthers are named for the deity and by the deity. or something along those lines. Never the less the next writer who sees Black Panther and Wakanda as true Afro Futurism that needs to be fleshed out is going to love their job.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog

No it was Priest.

Bast and the Egyptian Pantheon was named specifically to facilitate the Moon Knight
team-up, as dude is also powered by (or is actively being driven insane by) an Egyptian God.

Ahhhh thats right, thanks

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I read all of the posts about wishing that TPG remained nameless, and I respect where you're coming from...but I can't disagree more strongly with the prevailing opinion.

Does the magic of England get more of a punch or less of a punch if it's connected to MERLIN and KING ARTHUR and MORGAN LE FEY? It clearly gets more of a punch.

For AFRIKA? I have to say that we absolutely. Positively. Need to get specific, because by doing so? We are able to truly educate our readership about the wonders that is the Mother Continent.

For instance? Bastet isn't Egyptian. She actually comes from Wo'se [ Ethiopia-Sudan-Nubia ] and was initially Sekhmet, but came to prominence in latter times. The term "Egyptian" is a corruption of the Greek name [ "Aigyptos" ] for the Afrikan Pharaoh Menes. Peep this from THE DESTRUCTION OF BLACK CIVILIZATION:  http://www.dhwtyslearningcenter.com/2016/05/the-external-influence-myth-greek.html

There is SO MUCH that we need to teach. Including, btw, the fact that the actual history of Sekhmet-cum-Bast&Bastet ACTUALLY INCREASES THE MYSTERY surrounding TPG. There IS LOTS ABOUT REAL BAST&BASTET THAT IS SHROUDED IN MASSIVE MYSTERY. Plumbing these mysteries reveals powers, prompts adventures, explains powers, incurs responsibilities, etc.

You see, what you guys are referring to as "mystery" is actually more accurately and far far far faarrr more generally a state of general destructive ignorance with the quiet connotation of unevolved barbaric tribal spookism in the minds of most who read references to TPG. Seriously. Look at the barbaric pix they promoted of us from prior to the TPG being named Bastet. Look at them, over DECADES of time. This right here is literally one of the BEST of them, because my stomach couldn't bear me reprinting the more typical, more offensive claptrap they usually drew for TChalla:

https://monomythic.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/blackpanther-firstfight.jpg?w=723

Whereas references to the name Bastet immediately evokes visions grandeur, power, awe, authority, respect, genius, brilliance...and directly challenges the colossal stupidities of the notion that our Afrikan civilization was in any way a White or Afro-Asian achievement...as opposed to Whites and Afro-Asians USURPING our thrones and COOPTING our achievements. This corrects the historical record, and returns the correct respect for our people back to us, AND connects us more correctly and truthfully as a single human species.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
There is a BIG difference between Wakanda and England.  England is real.  Merlin is part of England's history. Borrowing other people's history would be like making Merlin part of Latveria's history (another fictional nation).  Merlin shouldn't be added to Latveria.  Latveria should have its own myths.  Every thing you borrow from other mythologies to add to Wakanda makes it less unique.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
So I tweeted Ewing about the Doras being with T'challa in his book but not with him in his solo.

He actually responded...

Definitely not the same Dora Milaje - maybe not full Doras at all, even. A token presence for diplomatic purposes.

The BP solo takes priority in any no-prizing.

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
So I tweeted Ewing about the Doras being with T'challa in his book but not with him in his solo.

He actually responded...

Definitely not the same Dora Milaje - maybe not full Doras at all, even. A token presence for diplomatic purposes.

The BP solo takes priority in any no-prizing.
Too bad. I was hoping Ewing would have said they were part of the Dora Milaje who didn't follow the "rebel" faction that split from T'Challa. In fact, that would have been a great Marvel plot line of a "civil war" within the DM, I think.