Author Topic: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale  (Read 934643 times)

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
So I tweeted Ewing about the Doras being with T'challa in his book but not with him in his solo.

He actually responded...

Definitely not the same Dora Milaje - maybe not full Doras at all, even. A token presence for diplomatic purposes.

The BP solo takes priority in any no-prizing.
Too bad. I was hoping Ewing would have said they were part of the Dora Milaje who didn't follow the "rebel" faction that split from T'Challa. In fact, that would have been a great Marvel plot line of a "civil war" within the DM, I think.

Based on a Coates interview, it appears that all of the Doras broke away and joined the MAs, because:

1. The Doras broke away from T'Challa before in the Hickman run, so things aren't the same as before.

2. Aneka is their captain. That and the Doras' new relationship with T'Challa results in the Doras deciding to join the MAs.

I have a feeling BP: World of Wakanda will touch more the Doras breaking way in the Hickman run and the current run.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Small preview of BP #8. Shuri's hair does change after all

So much for the headpiece theory.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
So I tweeted Ewing about the Doras being with T'challa in his book but not with him in his solo.

He actually responded...

Definitely not the same Dora Milaje - maybe not full Doras at all, even. A token presence for diplomatic purposes.

Too bad. I was hoping Ewing would have said they were part of the Dora Milaje who didn't follow the "rebel" faction that split from T'Challa. In fact, that would have been a great Marvel plot line of a "civil war" within the DM, I think.

Based on a Coates interview, it appears that all of the Doras broke away and joined the MAs, because:

1. The Doras broke away from T'Challa before in the Hickman run, so things aren't the same as before.

2. Aneka is their captain. That and the Doras' new relationship with T'Challa results in the Doras deciding to join the MAs.

I have a feeling BP: World of Wakanda will touch more the Doras breaking way in the Hickman run and the current run.

I'm very Eh about the whole thing. I also think that some of the Dora's would stay loyal despite the events that went down. I don't like complete hivemind mentality. Doesn't help either when Coates has the Dora's join with the MA off panel to push the story along

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

He actually responded...

I'm very Eh about the whole thing. I also think that some of the Dora's would stay loyal despite the events that went down. I don't like complete hivemind mentality. Doesn't help either when Coates has the Dora's join with the MA off panel to push the story along

So many critical BP stuff have happened off-panel that it's almost becoming the norm.

Hopefully BP: WoW touches on the second breakup. But the Doras breaking away isn't too surprising. We have no idea how loyal they are to T'Challa this time around. At the least, they would rejoin his ranks by the start of the Coates run out of tradition and/or Aneka's insistence to do so, but beyond that, there's a chance things aren't the same due to the initial breakup in the Hickman run.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
The banter between Luke and Misty was actually some light humor which wasn't bad, the real issue was lack of panel time for them to shine. T'Challa and Stanes fight was the best fight T'challa has had these entire series, other rhen that the only other good one was in issue two taking down the goons and Gary.

Tetu and Zenzi and Changa's conversation would of been better if it occured in issue 5 rather then now because that would of had more impact following issue 2s convo.

But the talk between the Crew was very bland after the couple of jokes made. But i guess its okay to have them cracking jokes and making throwbacks for older fans.

This was a better issue as it felt more of a beginning middle and end but it still had more potential that should of been capped on. Atleast Storm didn't scold T'Challa and the brief convo was more respect shown between the two then what others have shown. For once the Force push ability was used in a creative way that i have been campaigning for for months now That he used it to augment his acrobatics and his attacks. Using it to propel him up and over, using it to trick Stane, and it kinda looked like he used it to power his kick to Stanes face.

Overall it was an okay issue I would say about 6.5/10 when it it could of been a solid 8/10.

Another Note however, Brought up fro Mbeezy at the CBR: Check it out for your thoughts:

Quote from: mbeezy561;2360167
Yo I'm so glad you said that, because I didn't remember reading that part, so I went back and turns out my digital was missing a few pages . It's been updated now though. But everybody's saying the Djalia journey is the same every issue. if you pay attention it's really not, and after reading the whole leopard/boy story with no pages missing it kinda brought it all together. The Djalia journey is metaphorically illustrating all of Wakanda's problems while at the same time presenting solutions:

1. In the first part, the All-Mother told Shuri she wanted to arm her with the Drum not the Spear. If you have a spear you are one soldier. If you have a drum you can motivated hundreds into battle. The story about the man melding in his nation is there to show that the Royal Family should do the same, if Wakanda is to become powerful. Shuri says that she is a Queen but if she can't unite her people then is she really?

2. The story about slavery at first seemed confusing because Shuri never saw herself as imprisoned, but this story is for the Midnight Angels. Lately the Dora Miljae have felt enslaved, not necessarily because their wives in training, but because between T'challa traveling across universes and bringing a terrorist into the country, they have seen some crazy sh*t, and essentially had no say in it, as their only job was to protect him. Now i'll definitely agree and call BS on Ayo and Aneka, but the rest joined their cause because they've felt that way. The purpose of that story was to illustrate that no one, not even T'challa can enslave them, they can only do that themselves.

3. The Story about the Leopard and the Boy is for T'challa and his confidence issues. He's been called many things Haramu-Fal , a failure etc. The boy represents T'challa and the Leopard represents all his doubters i.e. His ancestors, Tehtu and Zenzi, the Midnight Angels. Like the boy in the story T'challa has to realize , it's not what people think of you , but what you think of yourself.

Atleast thats what I took from all of the stories, anybody else get anything different?

On it Bro. Ezyo hit you up with a reply asap. Thanks for the Hulk preview.

I will say this Bro Ezyo, the extrapolation Mbeezy is employing to bring out the allegories as they may apply to the main characters of the story is insightful. My concern is that Coates' entire premise, though justifiable in-story wise, is all to grounded in the mischaracterizations of T'Challa and Wakanda.

For example I see Shuri as having been a capable leader. She knew when to hold the drum and when to put it down and pick up the spear. The Dora Milaje as an army is something I've disliked since Maberry first introduced the concept but them being slaves to men or T'Challa in particular just doesn't jive.Speaking of T'Challa, he just restored the known universe and helped defeat "God Doom." Confidence issues... I don't think so.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
I attended the Black Panther Question & Answer with Ta-Nehisi Coates at Amalgam Comics & Coffeehouse in Philadelphia yesterday.

Here is the vid.
https://www.facebook.com/amalgamphilly/
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Dang Ture!  Wish I had known about this.  Been M.I.A. for a bit.

Peace,

Mont

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
I attended the Black Panther Question & Answer with Ta-Nehisi Coates at Amalgam Comics & Coffeehouse in Philadelphia yesterday.

Here is the vid.
https://www.facebook.com/amalgamphilly/

Ture with the hookup! Much respect!

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Any highlights?

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The banter between Luke and Misty was actually some light humor which wasn't bad, the real issue was lack of panel time for them to shine. T'Challa and Stanes fight was the best fight T'challa has had these entire series, other rhen that the only other good one was in issue two taking down the goons and Gary.

Tetu and Zenzi and Changa's conversation would of been better if it occured in issue 5 rather then now because that would of had more impact following issue 2s convo.

But the talk between the Crew was very bland after the couple of jokes made. But i guess its okay to have them cracking jokes and making throwbacks for older fans.

This was a better issue as it felt more of a beginning middle and end but it still had more potential that should of been capped on. Atleast Storm didn't scold T'Challa and the brief convo was more respect shown between the two then what others have shown. For once the Force push ability was used in a creative way that i have been campaigning for for months now That he used it to augment his acrobatics and his attacks. Using it to propel him up and over, using it to trick Stane, and it kinda looked like he used it to power his kick to Stanes face.

Overall it was an okay issue I would say about 6.5/10 when it it could of been a solid 8/10.

Another Note however, Brought up fro Mbeezy at the CBR: Check it out for your thoughts:

Yo I'm so glad you said that, because I didn't remember reading that part, so I went back and turns out my digital was missing a few pages . It's been updated now though. But everybody's saying the Djalia journey is the same every issue. if you pay attention it's really not, and after reading the whole leopard/boy story with no pages missing it kinda brought it all together. The Djalia journey is metaphorically illustrating all of Wakanda's problems while at the same time presenting solutions:

1. In the first part, the All-Mother told Shuri she wanted to arm her with the Drum not the Spear. If you have a spear you are one soldier. If you have a drum you can motivated hundreds into battle. The story about the man melding in his nation is there to show that the Royal Family should do the same, if Wakanda is to become powerful. Shuri says that she is a Queen but if she can't unite her people then is she really?

2. The story about slavery at first seemed confusing because Shuri never saw herself as imprisoned, but this story is for the Midnight Angels. Lately the Dora Miljae have felt enslaved, not necessarily because their wives in training, but because between T'challa traveling across universes and bringing a terrorist into the country, they have seen some crazy sh*t, and essentially had no say in it, as their only job was to protect him. Now i'll definitely agree and call BS on Ayo and Aneka, but the rest joined their cause because they've felt that way. The purpose of that story was to illustrate that no one, not even T'challa can enslave them, they can only do that themselves.

3. The Story about the Leopard and the Boy is for T'challa and his confidence issues. He's been called many things Haramu-Fal , a failure etc. The boy represents T'challa and the Leopard represents all his doubters i.e. His ancestors, Tehtu and Zenzi, the Midnight Angels. Like the boy in the story T'challa has to realize , it's not what people think of you , but what you think of yourself.

Atleast thats what I took from all of the stories, anybody else get anything different?

I will say this Bro Ezyo, the extrapolation Mbeezy is employing to bring out the allegories as they may apply to the main characters of the story is insightful. My concern is that Coates' entire premise, though justifiable in-story wise, is all to grounded in the mischaracterizations of T'Challa and Wakanda.

For example I see Shuri as having been a capable leader. She knew when to hold the drum and when to put it down and pick up the spear. The Dora Milaje as an army is something I've disliked since Maberry first introduced the concept but them being slaves to men or T'Challa in particular just doesn't jive.Speaking of T'Challa, he just restored the known universe and helped defeat "God Doom." Confidence issues... I don't think so.

Oh i agree Brother Ture I think the whole Premise is wack from the get go. Coates was essentially using newly anointed Shuri as his excuse for why she isn't a good leader which is funny because he was inspired by Hickmans run where Shuri is a badass who knows how to handle her business.

The Dora's i also agree i don't like the whole Army thing, it makes the Dora's cooler if there are a smaller number of them. Same with the HZ, having an elite group 10-15 HZ max (18 Doras max as each one represents one of the tribes)  Makes them much more deadly and cooler, and even then you would want 2 Doras max to be the ones the readers see the most and maybe 1 HZ that speaks for the group max. Less is more sometimes.

Adn Yes for T'Challa going off the end of SW and Ewings Ultimates, he is brimming wiith confidence. Yes i can see him being a little off because Shuri is stuck in limbo. But not so far off that Coates has shown. I find it interesting as well the fact that Coates said he had his script down already without knowing the end to SW yet he still had months to make adjustments to the story to not make it so... S****y. he said Ayo was supposed to die in issue 4 and he changed it. Im sure finding out how SW ended and how Ultimates began gave him plenty of time to make changes and clean the begining up a little better.

All in all its been a big disappointment for long time/appreciative fans of the Real T'Challa, maybe this could be some twist ending like SW and T'Challa not being completely chumped out, but even towards the end of Hickmans run he started cleaning things up. Coates has kinda started to make T'Challa look less lame be he needs to shift out of 2nd gear now and move along faster.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

Oh i agree Brother Ture I think the whole Premise is wack from the get go. Coates was essentially using newly anointed Shuri as his excuse for why she isn't a good leader which is funny because he was inspired by Hickmans run where Shuri is a badass who knows how to handle her business.

Definitely agree. I remember in that long interview featuring Coates, the interviewer said that Shuri wasn't a good leader and Coates agreed (or didn't disagree, can't remember exactly). Also interesting was that they didn't elaborate on why, in their opinion, she wasn't up to par. Made me wonder what exactly their definition of good leadership was.

The Dora's i also agree i don't like the whole Army thing, it makes the Dora's cooler if there are a smaller number of them. Same with the HZ, having an elite group 10-15 HZ max (18 Doras max as each one represents one of the tribes)  Makes them much more deadly and cooler, and even then you would want 2 Doras max to be the ones the readers see the most and maybe 1 HZ that speaks for the group max. Less is more sometimes.

Adn Yes for T'Challa going off the end of SW and Ewings Ultimates, he is brimming wiith confidence. Yes i can see him being a little off because Shuri is stuck in limbo. But not so far off that Coates has shown. I find it interesting as well the fact that Coates said he had his script down already without knowing the end to SW yet he still had months to make adjustments to the story to not make it so... S****y. he said Ayo was supposed to die in issue 4 and he changed it. Im sure finding out how SW ended and how Ultimates began gave him plenty of time to make changes and clean the begining up a little better.

All in all its been a big disappointment for long time/appreciative fans of the Real T'Challa, maybe this could be some twist ending like SW and T'Challa not being completely chumped out, but even towards the end of Hickmans run he started cleaning things up. Coates has kinda started to make T'Challa look less lame be he needs to shift out of 2nd gear now and move along faster.

At this point, the only way all this will be worth it is if Coates sticks the landing and/or doesn't pull a Doomwar on us.

Super-Unsure T'Challa cannot appear in season 2 though, that would be a humongous mistake.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:30:04 am by The Wakandan »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Definitely agree. I remember in that long interview featuring Coates, the interviewer said that Shuri wasn't a good leader and Coates agreed (or didn't disagree, can't remember exactly). Also interesting was that they didn't elaborate on why, in their opinion, she wasn't up to par. Made me wonder what exactly their definition of good leadership was.

At this point, the only way all this will be worth it is if Coates sticks the landing and/or doesn't pull a Doomwar on us.

Super-Unsure T'Challa cannot appear in season 2 though, that would be a humongous mistake.

At the rate its going, there is going to be.... a resolution. I mean he is doing better then the first issues, and T'Challa HAS gotten a little smarter, however, Its harder for people to be okay with the "mini victories" given the considerably poor showings T'challa, Wakandan men, and Wakanda has gone through. Coates does need to stick the landing, and i dont think he will. ivem what we have seen, unless something huge happens and T'Challa reveals this brilliant master plan i dont see it happening at all, it will simply be "Eh figured as much" of an ending.

And going into season 2 it would be 100% idiotic to have T'Challa unsure again. I mean really even now he isn't really the story pusher in his book and to do the same thing twice.. I dont even think the Coates butt kissers will tolerate that a second time 

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

At the rate its going, there is going to be.... a resolution. I mean he is doing better then the first issues, and T'Challa HAS gotten a little smarter, however, Its harder for people to be okay with the "mini victories" given the considerably poor showings T'challa, Wakandan men, and Wakanda has gone through. Coates does need to stick the landing, and i dont think he will. ivem what we have seen, unless something huge happens and T'Challa reveals this brilliant master plan i dont see it happening at all, it will simply be "Eh figured as much" of an ending.

And going into season 2 it would be 100% idiotic to have T'Challa unsure again. I mean really even now he isn't really the story pusher in his book and to do the same thing twice.. I dont even think the Coates butt kissers will tolerate that a second time 

I do think the underlined is more or less what we're gonna get. Few cool moments here and there but overall, a rather "ehhh" ending to season 1.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:21:33 pm by JRCarter »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I hope Ta-Nehisi Coates hasn't seen this. At least someone still likes the Storm-Panther relationship though.