Author Topic: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale  (Read 757217 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Issue 8 of @Marvel's Black Panther hits this week from @tanehisicoates. There's some amazing design work in this book from costumes to tech!

Gosh! Comics

Flatbush Zombies And Ta-Nehisi Coates Team Up For Black Panther Video

By MYLES TANZER

The writer details the latest issue in his comic book series, backed by the Zombies’s new track, “Aries.”

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:57:01 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Black Panther #8 Maybe Coates' Best Issue to date...

First off the cover was spot on.

The variant cover was also very well done.

T'Challa discussion with the Crew came off better than the previous issues team up and fight with Stane. Why the Black Panther would need their assistance is still in question. Coates gets points for having Storm and T'Challa speak amicably to each other even displaying some tenderness. Points for showing off the Panther's technological prowess; Shuri's last tale read well but still had a couple of rough spots. Coates also gave us some of his best T'Challa speak. Shuri's reveal at the end was cool.

The minuses were of course having T'Challa admit his inferiority to Maximus. This theme of the Black Panther being less than capable (nanites copied from Doom, cosmic power harness copied from Doom [not Coates], Maximus makes it look easy etc.) is running thin. Not to mention the persistent manner in which Coates filters some Afrakan customs through his condescending western lens i.e. young girls given to old men for marriage and having children while still in their teens; the discomfort of multiple wives and worst of all the cowardice of Afrakan men. He however remains true to his commitment of making Afrakan women look good at the expense of Afrakan men.

Next months cover...

should have been this.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
[i read the issue, indeed the best to date, I do wish it had some set up and i ma not fond of the whole Maximus made it look easy. But he tried to explain it by saying they expanded on the theory. I don't like the trope of forcing Wakanda's Mythos down the enslavement of girls and women when that isn't the case at all and Women are equal to the men.

Also annoying of having the men come off as weak and Timid while the women seen to be the only ones getting Sh*t done.

Other then that, it was a set up issue. Im glasd it focused on T'Challa and Shuri and had a good interaction with the crew. Next issue needs to be explosive though now that Shuri is back. I want to see some Good action and the DM and all that start to be handled.

Overall a better issue i wih it had soem action though as i feel like this is starting to lose readers interests. Coates needs to hype of this last part up (and deliver on the pay off for all this build up) Time will tell but this was probably a 7-7.5/10 maybe a 8.

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
[i read the issue, indeed the best to date, I do wish it had some set up and i ma not fond of the whole Maximus made it look easy. But he tried to explain it by saying they expanded on the theory. I don't like the trope of forcing Wakanda's Mythos down the enslavement of girls and women when that isn't the case at all and Women are equal to the men.

Also annoying of having the men come off as weak and Timid while the women seen to be the only ones getting Sh*t done.

Other then that, it was a set up issue. Im glasd it focused on T'Challa and Shuri and had a good interaction with the crew. Next issue needs to be explosive though now that Shuri is back. I want to see some Good action and the DM and all that start to be handled.

Overall a better issue i wih it had soem action though as i feel like this is starting to lose readers interests. Coates needs to hype of this last part up (and deliver on the pay off for all this build up) Time will tell but this was probably a 7-7.5/10 maybe a 8.

That part was of the Djalia story was actually based on true events: The War for the Golden Stool. The Queen Mother of the Ashanti Empire decided to rebel against the British empire when British Governor of the Gold Coast demanded that the Ashanti turn over the golden stool, which is the symbol of Ashanti sovereignty.

More info on the Queen Mother: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaa_Asantewaa#The_rebellion_and_its_aftermath

More info on the rebellion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Golden_Stool
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:19:35 am by The Wakandan »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

That part was of the Djalia story was actually based on true events: The War for the Golden Stool. The Queen Mother of the Ashanti Empire decided to rebel against the British empire when British Governor of the Gold Coast demanded that the Ashanti turn over the golden stool, which is the symbol of Ashanti sovereignty.

More info on the Queen Mother: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaa_Asantewaa#The_rebellion_and_its_aftermath

More info on the rebellion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Golden_Stool

Ah so was Coates using the actual story makign it apart of Wakandan history or just basing a similar story and adding it

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

Ah so was Coates using the actual story makign it apart of Wakandan history or just basing a similar story and adding it

More or less the latter, with a few adjustments here and there.

The actual story is also very intriguing. It also wasn't that long ago, as it occurred in 1900.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

The actual story is also very intriguing. It also wasn't that long ago, as it occurred in 1900.

Ah i see, Well i guerss that makes more sense. I guess that is okay i suppose but i am still not very fond of changing the mythos so much to fit this agenda, Especially the part of about Women not being equals to men

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile

Ah i see, Well i guerss that makes more sense. I guess that is okay i suppose but i am still not very fond of changing the mythos so much to fit this agenda, Especially the part of about Women not being equals to men

That particular Djalia story appears to be from a very long time ago, long before the BPs and monarchy emerged.

Funny enough, the Ashanti's social system result in several women being military commanders, a concept that was very foreign to the British at the time. The Queen Mother in question, for example, actually lead the troops to battle the British during the war.

As for BP season 1 itself and how it portrayed the gender situation itself...there's some unnecessary and contradictory BS there, no doubt.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Coates had months before the BP solo was announced, and secret wars ended where he would of known the conclusion. and there is deconstruction. Where he picked off of, everything was reset back to NA 1 no incursion. As for BP:WOW, We will see, that wasn't really a strong opening for the Doras and i think they are still too neew to be having their own book. That should of been a book for Shuri, Hell, I would love to see what Shuri was doing AvX, NA etc rather then the Doras because She is more established, and given how Gay portrayed them, it was lust at first sight, followed by a Disney's "Wakanda High" vibe with a Star wars ep 2 level of forced interest between the protagonist that rivals Anakin and Padme's extremely awkward budding relationship.

We already knew that had happened and there were invasions, coates didn't enlighten us to it, and after Both Doom War AND AvX Hickman addressed on panel that Wakanda was stronger then ever on both occasions. And this is Comics, this is fiction. Do you know how many times things will be addressed and over and done? this could of easily been a story about Wakanda showing that they will not falter and why they are the beacon of hope for the entire planet. And this shouldn't be about Wakanda changing its government considering that they have had 10k years of sucuss and one of T'Challa's major perks and draws is that he is a monarch of the most advanced nation on earth and this is very important to the mythos, and No that is not how deconstruction works. This IS a deconstruction story still, because Wakanda has been reduced to a third world country, men are shown as rapist, abusers, traffickers, misogynists, and inept, onto o f pitting black men vs Black women and playing it off as thoguh the women in Wakanda do not have equalrights when that is so far from the truth is astounding that Coates would even try to play it off as fact.

Ezyo

QFTMFT!!! Need I say more?

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Small previews of what I think will be the connecting variant cover of BP #11 and/or BP #12, by Paolo Rivera.

https://twitter.com/PaoloMRivera/status/799118714591465474

https://twitter.com/PaoloMRivera/status/799895027119964164

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:14:59 am by The Wakandan »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
T'chaka smiles less than T'challa lol

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
T'chaka smiles less than T'challa lol

In another life, T'Chaka probably would've been the biggest mob boss of Wakanda. And he still wouldn't be smiling.

Completely random thought, I know, lol.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Maybe he gets made fun of in the BP afterlife for being the only? (guess we have no idea) BP to get murked in the line of battle

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Maybe he gets made fun of in the BP afterlife for being the only? (guess we have no idea) BP to get murked in the line of battle

I would be surprised if he was the only one to die in battle. BPs live a rather dangerous, violent life, compared to other heads of states.

Hell, he wasn't even the only BP on panel "die" on panel. Being a BP probably decreases one's life expectancy.

I'd say, growing old like T'Chaka did in the MCU is the rarety.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog

I would be surprised if he was the only one to die in battle. BPs live a rather dangerous, violent life, compared to other heads of states.

Hell, he wasn't even the only BP on panel "die" on panel. Being a BP probably decreases one's life expectancy.

I'd say, growing old like T'Chaka did in the MCU is the rarety.

maybe that is why MCU T'chaka was so out of shape.

He's been living it up, just glad to be alive

"I f*ckING MADE IT YES!!! HAHAHAHA, DORAS BRING ME DONUTS, GUMMIE BEARS, AND FIRE UP THE MOVIE THEATER"