Author Topic: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther  (Read 601387 times)

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Maybe he gets made fun of in the BP afterlife for being the only? (guess we have no idea) BP to get murked in the line of battle

I would be surprised if he was the only one to die in battle. BPs live a rather dangerous, violent life, compared to other heads of states.

Hell, he wasn't even the only BP on panel "die" on panel. Being a BP probably decreases one's life expectancy.

I'd say, growing old like T'Chaka did in the MCU is the rarety.

maybe that is why MCU T'chaka was so out of shape.

He's been living it up, just glad to be alive

"I f*ckING MADE IT YES!!! HAHAHAHA, DORAS BRING ME DONUTS, GUMMIE BEARS, AND FIRE UP THE MOVIE THEATER"

LOL, I wouldn't blame him, all that time he served as a BP and he lived to be old.

Soon as he passed the mantle to T'Challa, probably said "time to have some fun 8)"

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Tweeted Stelfreeze to learn about what was his inspiration for Shuri's new outfit. I got a reply:

Brian wanted something that tipped the hat to Jack Kirby as the creator of the Black Panther but also made an impact.

The reply came with a pic. We finally have a name for her outfit.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Courtesy of Dboi from CBR:

Quote from: Dboi654;2420449
WOW #4 Covers

Now this is cool
BP #11 Cover

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Courtesy of MOS posting at the CBR:

Quote from: MindofShadow;2420222
February 2017 solicts...

BLACK PANTHER #11

Ta-Nehisi Coates (W), Chris Sprouse (A), Brian Stelfreeze (C), Paolo Rivera (VC), Joe Jusko (VC).

* "A Nation Under Our Feet" conclusion!

* The combined fury of T'Challa, Shuri, Manifold and the Hatut Zeraze rains down upon Tetu and Zenzi's rebellion. But will there be anything left of Wakanda to rule?

* The critically acclaimed storyline comes to an end and leaves behind a startling new status quo...

32 pages, $3.99.
no mention of the MA... interesting.
BLACK PANTHER: WORLD OF WAKANDA #4

Roxane Gay (W), Ta-Nehisi Coates (W), Alitha E. Martinez (A), Afua Richardson (C).

* "Dawn of The Midnight Angels" continues!

* With their king shamed and their queen dead, Ayo and Aneka take justice into their own hands....

* Learn the secrets behind the events that led into Black Panther #1!

and one random thing I saw...

THE UNWORTHY THOR #4

Jason Aaron (W), Olivier Coipel (A/C), Marguerite Sauvage (VC), Phil Noto (VC).

* The Odinson's quest is impeded when Proxima Midnight and the Black Swan seek to battle with him!

* But are the two acting alone or is there someone else pulling their strings?

* The debut of the Odinson's all-new look!

32 pages, $3.99

THEY LIVE

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
Has anyone heard anything about how "well" WoW #1 sold? I haven't heard a peep about it.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Great covers. Really dig this one.

Good to see Sal and Bob back on the scene.

WOW is going to a second printing. Sales figures should be out mid December Booshman
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Loving the art!

Peace,

Mont

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Loving the art!

Peace,

Mont

The art has been the highlight of this run, without a doubt. 8)

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Such an important aspect of the medium for me.  After I read my books I like to go back through the ones I really enjoy mostly just reliving them through the pictures, reading minimally and savoring the work.  I imagine many do the same, but I feel like many creators and editors don't produce book with this kind of medium specific added value in mind.  For me a great book can be like having a wing of a niche art museum in your hands. 

My two cents!

Peace,

Mont

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
Such an important aspect of the medium for me.  After I read my books I like to go back through the ones I really enjoy mostly just reliving them through the pictures, reading minimally and savoring the work.  I imagine many do the same, but I feel like many creators and editors don't produce book with this kind of medium specific added value in mind.  For me a great book can be like having a wing of a niche art museum in your hands. 

My two cents!

Peace,

Mont

It's not until recently that I've learned to truly value the contribution the artists (pencils, inker, colorist, etc) bring to a comic book.

Great artist can bring a book to a whole new level, while making bad books tolerable via their great visuals.

Offline Booshman

• View Profile

The amusing thing is that this is the only good thing to come out of Coates' run so far.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Some CBR Critiques

Coates to me is much like Snyder writing Superman. You shouldn't be in charge of a character if you don't believe in the core concept. If you don't believe in a selfless inspirational hope bringer that loves saving people because he has a big heart and good values with the power to make a difference and thus does. Then don't write the Last Son Of Krypton. Same for T'Challa if you don't believe an Afro-Futurism with a Genius Warrior King willing to make any sacrifice to keep his people free as the last undefeated Bastion in Africa. Then don't write Black Panther.      JediKage

It's Black Panther in Chiraq to me. And folks will scream it sells and that all you should care about-however it is more than about sells. Like Empire, most of Tyler Perry stuff, Survivor's Remorse, Power and a certain Cyborg comic elsewhere-it is selling the notion of blacks-especially BLACK MALES as dysfunctional with black women looking as either the saviors or enablers. Which is not good. Funny when bashing All New Marvel-this book is MIA in the conversations. Funny we only hear bashing of a black character when he or she is not doing what is considering "staying in their place". The moment they stay in their place we hear SILENCE like with Rebirth over there for guys not named Duke. Folks don't expect BP to be perfect but this book should not be in the same realm as Empire, Tyler and those who toss out nonstop black dysfunction. Now is not the time.     skyvolt2000

Part of my frustrations with BP's writers: Writers for every other character (Spider-man to Wolverine to Ironman, Batman, Flash, Doom, etc) seemingly take joy in beefing up or authenticating those character's abilities, feats and tech savy.. as if they are fully cognitive of the competitive Rumbles Board culture inherent in superhero comics and actually look to contribute to it. It's why the Priest's era BP is the MCU BP being used, b/c that's flat out the coolest he's ever been. Also why I would've favored Hickman, Morrison or JMS to write a BP solo, b/c they are similar to Priest in that they embrace (or at least entertain) that culture and don't just find it "male fantasy wish fulfillment" or whatever the crap Coates was dubbing it. They would be kids in the candy store reaping all the potential to be had with "anti-metal" claws, kinetic push-force vibranium weaves and kimoyo cards. Authenticating it but instead we have to wait for T'Chadwick to do all the heavy lifting and trend setting. smh            Rumble

Coates should be ashamed of himself. Yes he sold, but his message is problematic in the extreme. His push of negative imagery is pathetic and sad.   Victor Freeman

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Sounds like HEFers!  Very sound criticism from my view.  Thanks brother Ture!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
Some CBR Critiques

Coates to me is much like Snyder writing Superman. You shouldn't be in charge of a character if you don't believe in the core concept. If you don't believe in a selfless inspirational hope bringer that loves saving people because he has a big heart and good values with the power to make a difference and thus does. Then don't write the Last Son Of Krypton. Same for T'Challa if you don't believe an Afro-Futurism with a Genius Warrior King willing to make any sacrifice to keep his people free as the last undefeated Bastion in Africa. Then don't write Black Panther.      JediKage

It's Black Panther in Chiraq to me. And folks will scream it sells and that all you should care about-however it is more than about sells. Like Empire, most of Tyler Perry stuff, Survivor's Remorse, Power and a certain Cyborg comic elsewhere-it is selling the notion of blacks-especially BLACK MALES as dysfunctional with black women looking as either the saviors or enablers. Which is not good. Funny when bashing All New Marvel-this book is MIA in the conversations. Funny we only hear bashing of a black character when he or she is not doing what is considering "staying in their place". The moment they stay in their place we hear SILENCE like with Rebirth over there for guys not named Duke. Folks don't expect BP to be perfect but this book should not be in the same realm as Empire, Tyler and those who toss out nonstop black dysfunction. Now is not the time.     skyvolt2000

Part of my frustrations with BP's writers: Writers for every other character (Spider-man to Wolverine to Ironman, Batman, Flash, Doom, etc) seemingly take joy in beefing up or authenticating those character's abilities, feats and tech savy.. as if they are fully cognitive of the competitive Rumbles Board culture inherent in superhero comics and actually look to contribute to it. It's why the Priest's era BP is the MCU BP being used, b/c that's flat out the coolest he's ever been. Also why I would've favored Hickman, Morrison or JMS to write a BP solo, b/c they are similar to Priest in that they embrace (or at least entertain) that culture and don't just find it "male fantasy wish fulfillment" or whatever the crap Coates was dubbing it. They would be kids in the candy store reaping all the potential to be had with "anti-metal" claws, kinetic push-force vibranium weaves and kimoyo cards. Authenticating it but instead we have to wait for T'Chadwick to do all the heavy lifting and trend setting. smh            Rumble

Coates should be ashamed of himself. Yes he sold, but his message is problematic in the extreme. His push of negative imagery is pathetic and sad.   Victor Freeman

The Truth Bombs are a' droppin' over at CBR! Glad that folks over there haven't gone soft since I left.