Author Topic: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!  (Read 1359115 times)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
In my opinion, Coates is destroying T'Challa before our eyes.  I don't know if he's trying to tear him down to build him up, but I've read the solicitations for the next three issues and he's starting to piss me off.  The Wakandan deities forsaking Wakanda?  A new Wakandan deity trying to take over?  Nah, son...I want strong, one step ahead, take no sh*t, T'Challa back.  I was Bast back.  I want either Hudlin or Priest back!  I'm tired of this sh*t.

Welcome to the club bro.

Coates is a cancer to the BP mythos.

I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
This is great news about Coates getting Captain America. Hopefully he will move on from Black Panther and all black superhero titles completely. But I got a feeling he won't be pushing a feminist/anti-white male agenda when it comes to Cap. I can't see that suddenly Sharon Carter or two white lesbian and new SHIELD agents will be the true main characters. I can't see the first image of Cap in Coates' book on his knees, with blood running down his head. Though with Coates, he might just try to bring a new black female character as the focal point, or swipe Nightshade from David Walker's Occupy Avengers. It's a possibility, but at the same time, I think Coates will show Cap more respect or Marvel won't allow him deconstructing Cap the way they were happy to do so with Panther.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I agree, He will probably treat Cap with more respect then he did BP, which adds more insult to injury in the fact that he will have no issues whatso ever making Wakanda and BP look bad in the name of "Realism" Yet i bet you anything he wouldn't be showcasing a "Humanized" Cap that people can "Relate" to like the crap he pulled with T'Challa.

I mean if it truly gets him off BP and we get a writer with Respect for the Character and what he represents then i'll chalk it up to whats done is done and hope for a brighter future for T'Challa. but seriously there needs to be another Rh to have T'Challa's back, with a editorial that won't short change him everytime either. 

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
If Marvel really does it it is marvel being EXTREMELY stubborn on what their core fan base wants.

Just being real: the core fan base does not want some black, race relations writer on Captain America. Look at the hate Spencer got/gets because of his very liberal twitter. So marvel decides to... go farther down that rabbit hole?

If there was ever a time to put a "safe" writer on Captain America, it would have been now. The wednesday warrior backlash fans dont' want more social commentary on their characters (which is hilarious since he is covered in a flag). they want their "classic" captain america back. The whole point of LegacyRebirth is to go "mea culpa wednesday warriors. here ya go." at least I would think....

It is also dumb just because Marvel problem thinks the big "splash" will get them there 300K first issue again ala BP and that "coates fans" will love to see him tackle THE white dude in the MU. Which i have serious doubts about. If coates though that BP fans were rabid, he will be in for a world of hurt. Minorities seem a hell of a lot more tolerant of changes than white comic fans.

ANd quality wise... Spencer jus straight up dropped two classic Cap runs. He NAILED cap as a villain. ANd you are going to follow that up with boring mc snooze pants? Who's name didn't help WoW ake it past 6 issues. Who's name didn't help Crew not get cancelled by issue 2.

Good luck.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
Marvel is just weird.

It's like the MCU hears fan criticism and they're like "Oh sh*t, we gotta fix this!  and we gotta make it good!" 

But Marvel the comic company hears criticism and they're like "f*ck you!"  Everything is half-assed and disingenuous

I'm still not sure what Marvel Legacy is but going by the feedback and buzz of it so far, it's apparently trash.  And by trash i mean smoke and mirrors masking the same ol same ol.
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Marvel is just weird.

It's like the MCU hears fan criticism and they're like "Oh sh*t, we gotta fix this!  and we gotta make it good!" 

But Marvel the comic company hears criticism and they're like "f*ck you!"  Everything is half-assed and disingenuous

I'm still not sure what Marvel Legacy is but going by the feedback and buzz of it so far, it's apparently trash.  And by trash i mean smoke and mirrors masking the same ol same ol.

too many people have had their job for too long.

Ain't no new blood

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Marvel is just weird.

Marvel needs to really Listen to what the fan base is saying, As well as take what fans like about a charecter, AKA their best showings, and go back to that. BP Fans Love Priest's work and is lauded as the best Version of T'Challa. Then take Hudlins work as it is lauded as best version of Wakanda as well as what set T'Challa in the spotlight as someone who can stand with the A listers and allowed for Priest Groundbreaking work to get the respect it deserves, and go from there in terms of bringing about the core aspects of the character.

I think that's ultimately what needs to happen. over years Characters get so bloated with things that sometimes you need to go back to core elements.

Thats what i want. T'Challa balanced in terms of Tech usage and h2h skills. Need to go back to Gillis and Mcgregors run in terms of his physicals. Priest run in terms of tech usage, intellect, and planning, Hudlin's run in terms of Wakanda's power, and involvement with the rest of the world, and Stelfreeze's aesthetics.

Set that as the base, stick with it, then create stories around how T'Challa would respond and go from there

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Marvel is just weird.

Ain't no new blood

They honestly could've made ANAD/diversity Marvel a big success if they weren't so incompetent and "sabotage"-y with their execution.  They go to too many extremes throwing a buncha books and concepts into the deep end without proper priming or thought.  Squadron Supreme comes to mind.  Starbrand and Nightmask never should've happened.  We've talked ad nausea about what the Ultimates roster should've been... and, to be frank, the ANAD Avengers should've swapped out Miles, Kamala and Nova for BP, Strange and Carol... and whoever is the guy writing Uncanny Avengers should've also been writing ANAD Avengers... let him go Hickman style telling his grandoise red skull/ultron stories using both those books.

And i say that as a big Miles and Kamala fan... they didn't belong on that team.  They would've been better off having started on a teen titans / champions style team from jump but with some roster changes like lady-wolverine (in preparation for Logan movie) or even Spider-Gwen, i.e. other young characters with big cult followings and, again, more serious stories.

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Marvel is just weird.

Marvel needs to really Listen to what the fan base is saying, As well as take what fans like about a charecter, AKA their best showings, and go back to that. BP Fans Love Priest's work and is lauded as the best Version of T'Challa. Then take Hudlins work as it is lauded as best version of Wakanda as well as what set T'Challa in the spotlight as someone who can stand with the A listers and allowed for Priest Groundbreaking work to get the respect it deserves, and go from there in terms of bringing about the core aspects of the character.

I think that's ultimately what needs to happen. over years Characters get so bloated with things that sometimes you need to go back to core elements.

Thats what i want. T'Challa balanced in terms of Tech usage and h2h skills. Need to go back to Gillis and Mcgregors run in terms of his physicals. Priest run in terms of tech usage, intellect, and planning, Hudlin's run in terms of Wakanda's power, and involvement with the rest of the world, and Stelfreeze's aesthetics.

Set that as the base, stick with it, then create stories around how T'Challa would respond and go from there

Yea, it's like Marvel gives the exact opposite of what fans want then act like they are being thought provoking and innovative.  When in truth they are just pissing us off. 

Coates is a perfect example of that.

Ultimates is another example of that.

Bendis killing Rhodey and his explanation for it, is another (i.e. paraphrasing: "if we're going to include more black characters we can't be afraid to put them in roles where they get killed off")

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Marvel is just weird.

Ain't no new blood

They honestly could've made ANAD/diversity Marvel a big success if they weren't so incompetent and "sabotage"-y with their execution.  They go to too many extremes throwing a buncha books and concepts into the deep end without proper priming or thought.  Squadron Supreme comes to mind.  Starbrand and Nightmask never should've happened.  We've talked ad nausea about what the Ultimates roster should've been... and, to be frank, the ANAD Avengers should've swapped out Miles, Kamala and Nova for BP, Strange and Carol... and whoever is the guy writing Uncanny Avengers should've also been writing ANAD Avengers... let him go Hickman style telling his grandoise red skull/ultron stories using both those books.

And i say that as a big Miles and Kamala fan... they didn't belong on that team.  They would've been better off having started on a teen titans / champions style team from jump but with some roster changes like lady-wolverine (in preparation for Logan movie) or even Spider-Gwen, i.e. other young characters with big cult followings and, again, more serious stories.

Its like they used the first addition of the Avengers team just to transition into CHampions...

Why? lol.

all it accomplished is make it go "eh, this avengers edition is meh" ... and even when Avengers got Avengery (the Kang arc was pure avengers awesome)... nobody cared anymore. The poisoned the well...

and then transferred that poison water to Champions.

I am not sure if the DC way (pander and just double ship everything and put Batman in everything) is the path to success long term but their has to be a damn middle ground and some damn common sense.

I mean sh*t, in a year ish, we are about to see the old guard movie avengers start to interact with the likes of Strange, T'challa, Carol, Scott, Wasp, Parker....

Yet you can't find a trade out there with that roster or anything close to it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:05:49 am by MindofShadow »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Marvel is just weird.

Yea, it's like Marvel gives the exact opposite of what fans want then act like they are being thought provoking and innovative.  When in truth they are just pissing us off. 

Coates is a perfect example of that.

Ultimates is another example of that.

Bendis killing Rhodey and his explanation for it, is another (i.e. paraphrasing: "if we're going to include more black characters we can't be afraid to put them in roles where they get killed off")

Funny That that is used. What were their excuse for killing off Boll Foster? Im pretty sure he has stayed dead for far too long.

I think Honestly, Marvel should start looking at hiring new blood with fresh takes and perspectives on characters they grew up with. Or even people who have been around for awhile but maybe haven't been on Marvel or DC train and have produced their own stuff. something. I mean there are plenty of Black writers who would fit the bill way better then Coates and his garbage. Hell i would say Rembrant was the only break out good thing out of Coates entourage. Everything else has been sh*t.

As for the ANAD. Its like Marvel is doing the opposite of DC. DC seems to have double down on their main sellers and over saturate the market with those characters, while Marvel has just bloated their titles with all type of characters, mant of which should not be in a series like they are, and then throw sh*t at the wall and hope something sticks. They should cut down the amount of Books to ones that will work out well and then go from there. We dont need New Avengers, ANAD Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Occupy Avengers, USA Avengers, North South East West Avengers. Give us the core. THE Avengers,  Uncanny Avengers, and Mighty Avengers tops.

Keep it simple. Promote the titles that work well and focus on increasing their popularity 

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
New blood?  Coates and whoever wrote WoW are new blood!

But no, I agree. 

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
New blood?  Coates and whoever wrote WoW are new blood!

But no, I agree.

Yea they are, but they aren't Comic writers. I was thinking new blood comic writers who have some experience already be it them writing their own work or something

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
So Coates's is to be rewarded for his lackluster, piss poor portrayal of the Black Panther and Wakanda (which he did on the eve of the greatest media event a comic book character can ask for) by getting to write Captain America. That figures.

Watch what a outstanding job he does respecting truth, justice and the American way while implicating the need for so called blacks to apologize to the white supremacists for all their transgressions in fighting captivity and enslavement; have some avian person of color character suggest making amends for not working hard enough and begging for civil rights; all the while spinning concept that the only thing holding minorities back is themselves. And I still bet the Falcon and Harlem will fair better than Black Panther and Wakanda did under his pen.

I just hope this means Coates is leaving Black Panther all together and much sooner than later. Get him off the BP main title by September if possible; let the movie hype stimulate the need for a new Black Panther comic all the way through to December.  Then announce the triumphant return of the Black Panther family of comics in January under the writers that made him a modern day legend and inspired the movie... Priest writing Black Panther and the Crew limited series and Hudlin writing Black Panther World of Wakanda limited series. Then drop a Guy Johnson - a respected so called black literary writer (since that seems Marvel's way, meaning literary writers) on the new on going  Black Panther title.

Let the healing begin.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Marvel is just weird.

Ain't no new blood

This plus to many fanboys & fangals & yes men & yes women in management & editors.   
Pull List