Author Topic: Reparations and Revolution for the Damisa-Sarki Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther  (Read 129308 times)

Offline Mortal Man

• When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
Looks like the novelty of Ms Marvel has finally run it's course  :-\

I mean, i got bored of the book many months ago but i was still happy to see it doing well during that time

Surprised that Defenders #1 under-performed.  Only 64k.  It had everything going for it to be at least in the 80-90k...  which is the range Miles and Riri's book debuted with. 

Nick Fury Jr book was pretty much dead on arrival.  GOOD. 

Carol bout to fail again.   *shrugs*

A lot of poor sales, but i barely even care anymore about these floppies
How many leaders you said you needed then left em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, its King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog

I mean, i got bored of the book many months ago but i was still happy to see it doing well during that time

Surprised that Defenders #1 under-performed.  Only 64k.  It had everything going for it to be at least in the 80-90k...  which is the range Miles and Riri's book debuted with. 

Like someone said, there are too many books. Even hardcores can't really keep up with everything now.

Marvel completely misjudged their audience. They wanted to attract the tumblr audience... but won't adjust to "diamond charts mean everything."

Marvel gotta decide what they want... floppy sales at the comic shop, trade sales, digital sales... totally different markets all around.

ms marvel is the only book marvel has every confirmed sales a lot better digitally but yeah... the novelty isn't there anymore.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Sucks if the Nick Fury Jr. book gets canceled. It is alright IMO. Some nice art, has a fun vibe. I like it better than Coates's Black Panther.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Marvel also needs to get new artists!

Recently read one pro said Jack Kirby's wouldn't be hired today?!?  I'm not the biggest Kirby fan, but if they think the market prefers what we're seeing over action packed artists.....

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I actually forgot there was a black panther solo... got so warped up in all the good news..

25k is a bit disappointing don't you think?  I was expecting a bigger drop off...

Shaving 2gs a month off just wouldn't do.  We gotta double that attrition...

I can see it now:

"Coates' Panther run is a hit! It only lost 2000 readers last month!"  ;D

"Coates Panther is "Too Real" for some fan's hence its cancellation Fans have taken up to twitter and facebook forcign their complaints about the premature ended of Coates Blan- Black Panther"

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Marvel also needs to get new artists!

Recently read one pro said Jack Kirby's wouldn't be hired today?!?  I'm not the biggest Kirby fan, but if they think the market prefers what we're seeing over action packed artists.....

Artist these Days can't even get static art down. and Action....

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile

Sucks if the Nick Fury Jr. book gets canceled. It is alright IMO. Some nice art, has a fun vibe. I like it better than Coates's Black Panther.

Unlike World of Midnight Angels or And The Crew, the Fury book was actually announced as a 6-issue mini.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog

Unlike World of Midnight Angels or And The Crew, the Fury book was actually announced as a 6-issue mini.

I wish they'd do more of that. I don't mind minis. Like knowing im getting a full story honestly.

It isn't like their stealth minis are selling any better.

IDK what Marvel is doing.

I look at this "Make Mine Marvel" stuff and... somehow, America still exists, Hawkeye still exists, US avengers stills exist, Cage, Monster unleashed, and more...

all these books are going to get canned immediately following this big ol' brand push.

Like... wtf kind of marketing strategy is that? Big ol brand thing, get all hyped up, then immediately cancelt these books that are selling lik egarbage NOW... let alone in 3 months.

I feel like just basic sh*t is being missed here. Maybe when Disney sooner or later absorbs them completely and cleans house someone will wise up. this is just basic 101 sh*t

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Since Spider-Gwen is ongoing, and Exiles lasted a good while, there's no good reason why a Panther/Storm married series can't be put together with a solid writing/art team go for several years.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I wish they'd do more of that. I don't mind minis. Like knowing im getting a full story honestly.

It isn't like their stealth minis are selling any better.

IDK what Marvel is doing.

I look at this "Make Mine Marvel" stuff and... somehow, America still exists, Hawkeye still exists, US avengers stills exist, Cage, Monster unleashed, and more...

all these books are going to get canned immediately following this big ol' brand push.

Like... wtf kind of marketing strategy is that? Big ol brand thing, get all hyped up, then immediately cancelt these books that are selling lik egarbage NOW... let alone in 3 months.

I feel like just basic sh*t is being missed here. Maybe when Disney sooner or later absorbs them completely and cleans house someone will wise up. this is just basic 101 sh*t

Marvel had gotten too bloated it seems. Honestly they might need to do a rebirth like story and then revert Their heroes back. Legacy kinda seems like it could do it but they need to go all in really

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Since Spider-Gwen is ongoing, and Exiles lasted a good while, there's no good reason why a Panther/Storm married series can't be put together with a solid writing/art team go for several years.

I think you have a typo

You meant Panther/Queeb Nakia right?

:P

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
I'd settle for Panther/Okoye. :D

Offline 4sake

• View Profile
Black Panther #15 (Marvel) - 25,466

last month was 27,287

Black Panther Crew #3 (Marvel) - 14,634

last month was 18,183

143. Royals #4 (Marvel) - 17,007 [143]
144. Ultimates 2 #8 (Marvel) - 16,801 [145]

freaking Ewing man lol. Last month for Ultimates 18,490

141. Luke Cage #2 (Marvel) - 17,277 [142]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This right here is why you don't want Ewing or Walker touching Black Panther.

I will say for Ewing he had held on for this long despite his story practically screeching to a halt in Ultimates 4. So for what 20 issues almost and no direction on story he had managed to keep the book going ontop of having absolute dog crap art.

I would let him do a mini. A second BP Story while the main solo has a writer of Much Better quality

He tanked Royals too though.

He drops a few continuity nuggets in for the hardcores to keep them "happy" and get praises on CBR and reddit but then blows the main story.

I don't think he's written a compatent story since the first arc of Mighty Avengers.

(i never read New Avengers so i might be wrong there)

Overall NA was good I give him a 75/100 & the art team a 45/100 due to whitewashing & overall sucking at drawing black folks

Hated how used at all Power Man & White Tiger :
 breaking them up for no reason while they were the only Black couple at marvel after he took forever put them together & did nothing with it there rship.
Under writing them power wise while giving Wiccan & Hulking boost (a big double standard on how he wrote the two couples)

Sunspot was whitewash for half the run put to his sh*ty art team & he not being man enuff to do anything about to alot of us (fans) treaten to boycott all his current & future work.

Didn't care for him using Mpox storyline to Keep Sunspot from using his powers till the final arcs & with all random supporting cast their was around he shouldn't given him love interest (black woman preferred) 
Little too much Wiccan.
Pull List

Offline Mortal Man

• View Profile

I think you have a typo

You meant Panther/Queeb Nakia right?

:P

That Black Panther and 007 Nakia lover's quarrel teamup global espionage series... sign me up!  I'll even preorder!

Offline Mortal Man

• View Profile
Current Luke Cage as a comic character is just boring.  Nobody cares about his family life, having bullet proof skin is overrated (standard requirement for a brick) and he's strong but not that strong to stand out, with no other hyped up intangible or asset.