Author Topic: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther  (Read 574433 times)

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
What avenger book?

I think he took over Uncanny Avengers once Secret Empire started

can't rmember, i quit reading the Avengers books once i caught wind of the "every week thing"... figure id wait and see if its any good first before making that sort of investment lol
Your correct he's was doing Uncanny & is taking Champs after crossover/when Waid leaves..
Pull List

Offline 4sake

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
my question is

why is he "digging back through"

???

Odd way to put it... that sounds more like research than enjoyment/"reading for fun"
[/quote
I think so aswell.. I'd be shocked if they let him do both Champs & an Avengers books seeing how he's someone favored by retailers as of yet or one of their main stays or even showed he can do more than one marvel comic at time ..
Pull List

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Black Panther #169

By David Pepose, Best Shots Team Lead
January 29, 2018

Black Panther #169 focuses on Aneka as she makes for a daring rescue of Ayo. Due to circumstances involving Klaw’s powers, the issue is depicted almost entirely without dialogue or sound effects. This change allows artist Leonard Kirk to show off his visual storytelling. This is by far the most action-heavy issue of Black Panther since Ta-Nehisi Coates began his run, and Kirk knocks it out of the park. Between getting the little beats right, such as when Aneka kicks her shackle into a guard before he can pull the trigger on his pistol, and the larger dramatic moments featuring Klaw and his sister, Kirk expertly crafts every detail, making the issue a riveting read.

Laura Martin, too, does a masterful job. Her color art has been a major part of Black Panther since the debut issue, giving the series a consistency in spite of rotating artists. Here, her colors help tell the story, starting with almost sickly greens and greys that transition into dramatic reds as the issue ultimately crescendos to its climax.

Credit must also go to Ta-Nehisi Coates for the staging this issue. Black Panther has oft been criticized for being verbose and lacking in action, the latter being one of Coates’ weak points in his comic book writing. This issue shows the growth the writer has made in that department. That being said, Black Panther #169 still highlights one of the more divisive aspects of Coates’ run: the lack of focus on T’Challa.

The choice to have the title character make what is essentially a cameo appearance is the main thing holding the issue back. The issue’s almost singular focus on Ayo and Aneka has it feeling more like a backdoor pilot for a World of Wakanda relaunch than an issue of the main book. This wouldn’t be as much of a problem if this diversion didn’t feel like part of an overall trend in the book. Two of the past four issues have now been dedicated entirely to supporting characters and antagonists, while T’Challa has shared time in the other pair.

Black Panther #169 is a well-crafted book that arguably puts too much of the series’ focus on T’Challa’s supporting cast. How much one likes this issue will largely depend on how well Coates won you over on Ayo and Aneka in the first place. The artwork by Leonard Kirk and Laura Martin is stunning, but it’s easy to imagine that most fans would rather see this type of work depicting the actions of the lead character.

https://www.newsarama.com/38381-best-shots-reviews-black-panther-169-monstress-13-legion-1.html
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Black Panther #169

By David Pepose, Best Shots Team Lead
January 29, 2018

Black Panther #169 focuses on Aneka as she makes for a daring rescue of Ayo. Due to circumstances involving Klaw’s powers, the issue is depicted almost entirely without dialogue or sound effects. This change allows artist Leonard Kirk to show off his visual storytelling. This is by far the most action-heavy issue of Black Panther since Ta-Nehisi Coates began his run, and Kirk knocks it out of the park. Between getting the little beats right, such as when Aneka kicks her shackle into a guard before he can pull the trigger on his pistol, and the larger dramatic moments featuring Klaw and his sister, Kirk expertly crafts every detail, making the issue a riveting read.

Laura Martin, too, does a masterful job. Her color art has been a major part of Black Panther since the debut issue, giving the series a consistency in spite of rotating artists. Here, her colors help tell the story, starting with almost sickly greens and greys that transition into dramatic reds as the issue ultimately crescendos to its climax.

Credit must also go to Ta-Nehisi Coates for the staging this issue. Black Panther has oft been criticized for being verbose and lacking in action, the latter being one of Coates’ weak points in his comic book writing. This issue shows the growth the writer has made in that department. That being said, Black Panther #169 still highlights one of the more divisive aspects of Coates’ run: the lack of focus on T’Challa.

The choice to have the title character make what is essentially a cameo appearance is the main thing holding the issue back. The issue’s almost singular focus on Ayo and Aneka has it feeling more like a backdoor pilot for a World of Wakanda relaunch than an issue of the main book. This wouldn’t be as much of a problem if this diversion didn’t feel like part of an overall trend in the book. Two of the past four issues have now been dedicated entirely to supporting characters and antagonists, while T’Challa has shared time in the other pair.

Black Panther #169 is a well-crafted book that arguably puts too much of the series’ focus on T’Challa’s supporting cast. How much one likes this issue will largely depend on how well Coates won you over on Ayo and Aneka in the first place. The artwork by Leonard Kirk and Laura Martin is stunning, but it’s easy to imagine that most fans would rather see this type of work depicting the actions of the lead character.

https://www.newsarama.com/38381-best-shots-reviews-black-panther-169-monstress-13-legion-1.html

See where were these real reviews a year and a half ago. Coates agenda is still running strong. Tchalla is a backround Character in his own book and Characters no one care about are Able to get thing's done on their own, but Tchalla is still shackled to "No One Man" so he delegates duties instead of being the title Character handling business on his own like literally every other title Character does in their book's

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
  • When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
What avenger book?

I think he took over Uncanny Avengers once Secret Empire started

can't rmember, i quit reading the Avengers books once i caught wind of the "every week thing"... figure id wait and see if its any good first before making that sort of investment lol

Your correct he's was doing Uncanny & is taking Champs after crossover/when Waid leaves..

Ohhh, he's this guy

He's a competent writer.  The godzilla arc thing wasn't bad and neither was the graviton battle.  He also gives his characters fairly appropriate voices.  So if we're putting Black Panther back on an Avengers team, I'd certainly take this guy over Ewing.  There will actually be action and sh*t here.

Doubly that if he's channeling Hudlin and Priest's runs.
How many leaders you said you needed then left ‘em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, it’s King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Cotdamn it!  So much piff going on outside of the comics, why do the comics gotta be so sh*t? lmao

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Cotdamn it!  So much piff going on outside of the comics, why do the comics gotta be so sh*t? lmao

Yeah, it really sucks.

You know how many times i've posted "go back and start with priest, the current run isn't new person friendly nor good" on like reddit over and over and over and over and over again?

There should have been a "who is the black panther" style trade in the works as soon as the BP movies was announced. The first 6-12 issues following secret wars should have been EXTREMELY new reader friendly in preparation for what is going on RIGHT NOW.

It should have looked as close as you could to the movie verse as possible. Secret Wars should have been the chance to bring back EVERY SINGLE MOVIE CHARACTER that is dead or MIA . W'kabi, Zuri, Okoye, Killmonger, ect.

But no one looks ahead at marvel at all. It is all short term gimmicks over adn over again.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
with how on point MCU is, it's quite jarring how bad comics are. Black panther is one of the characters who NEEDED to be reimagined to their MCU counter part and we got instead lack of vision Coates who has made it painfully clear he doesn't have 5 year's worth of story telling, s1 was his story and S2 is a cluster

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Yeah, it really sucks.

You know how many times i've posted "go back and start with priest, the current run isn't new person friendly nor good" on like reddit over and over and over and over and over again?

There should have been a "who is the black panther" style trade in the works as soon as the BP movies was announced. The first 6-12 issues following secret wars should have been EXTREMELY new reader friendly in preparation for what is going on RIGHT NOW.

It should have looked as close as you could to the movie verse as possible. Secret Wars should have been the chance to bring back EVERY SINGLE MOVIE CHARACTER that is dead or MIA . W'kabi, Zuri, Okoye, Killmonger, ect.

But no one looks ahead at marvel at all. It is all short term gimmicks over adn over again.

It's incredulous how idiotic both Axel and TNC were, for completely different but equally damnable reasons. 

TNC obviously for his disdain with "black male wish fulfillment" taking the helm of a black male wish-fulfillment character.

And then Axel for being the lipservice king of sparkly finger cbr interviews where he talks a big game but ultimately doesn't do sh*t, leaving it to the inmates to run the asylum.  Editorial is supposed to say instead of putting Shuri in a cube, how about you bring back the characters appearing in the movie and do something with them? 

Instead of retreading the Storm crap, why don't you reintroduce Nakia and complete that character arc?  Why don't you explore Shuri as a tech genius?  Why don't you use Okoye as that beacon of feminism that works with T'Challa instead of relying on rape and misogynist behavior for empathy?

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
with how on point MCU is, it's quite jarring how bad comics are. Black panther is one of the characters who NEEDED to be reimagined to their MCU counter part and we got instead lack of vision Coates who has made it painfully clear he doesn't have 5 year's worth of story telling, s1 was his story and S2 is a cluster

As far as i'm concerned, we need another reboot.  SW #9 wasn't too long ago but screw it, let's give him one more duex ex machina to use to bring everyone back and reset ish.  I don't care if it's the golden friggin frog

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
As far as I'm concerned, the comics can go hang.  The entire industry is fundamentally broken, and has been for a long time.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Solomon's frogs could solve the issue with dead Characters. Simple and then have the Real T'Challa and Shuri come Molly whop these fakes running around

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
I can fix the entire run with two words. :D

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Marvel couldn't even make it so the Rise of the Black Panther book, which is essentially a trade that says, "hey movie fans, we are also writing a T'challa that just got the crown! come see!! Winter Soldier is here!!!! and Klaw!!" will be out in time for the movie.

By the time the movie is out, it will only be issue 3 lol.

So we won't even see the physical trade until... July? By then we will be on Ant-Man and Wasp movie.

Dudes can't even manage sh*t THAT SIMPLE...

Offline Mortal Man

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Shuri/Riri is another example of their short sighted idiocy.  You green-light the decision to capitalize off of mcu Shuri by creating a whole new character with a lower ceiling.. instead of just using comic Shuri and building her up as a slightly older version of what movie audiences will embrace. 

And then you make comic shuri into something that... just doesn't work.