Author Topic: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther  (Read 401998 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Is this fan art or variant cover?

CvilleWakandan, I don't know for sure but I think it is one of those twelve variants Beware Of Geek mentioned. Like the aforementioned BoG, I too am glad there was a relaunch... a palette cleansing of sorts. I feel you Ezyo. Despite all past attempts at frustrating and demoralizing the fan base through constant efforts at deconstructing and re-imagining T'Challa and Wakanda, the Black Panther has transcended such encumbrances as proofed by his sensational film.

Has nothing to do with the new comic as far as I know, I was just feelin' it.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
If anything, the film should encourage fans to speak up and demand more from BP writers, and to not accept the same tired stereotypes and tropes hampering BP and other black heroes. Writers should be going bigger, Better and pushing the envelope. Not using stereotypes and dysfunction. Now more then ever that should not and will not stand

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Courtesy of Realdealholy from the CBR:

Quote from: Realdealholy:
Preview for Black Panther #1 is out.

https://www.avclub.com/black-panther-relaunches-as-a-cosmic-adventure-in-this-1826134184/amp?__twitter_impression=true

the Good. Tchalla is kicking ass, and the art is beautiful. Hell how it started even looks kinda Cool in a sense. If this were Priest, Hudlin, Redjack, hell even Evans I would be very curious where this goes. The bad However, this is Coates, further using the Columbus route in space.

Making Wakandans conquers, and owners of slaves. This goes 1000% against what Wakanda is and as each season goes on and on, Coates is seemingly making Wakanda into a villainous face. First with rape and gender inequality and dysfunction, with Shuri telling the victims they should of accepted their fate and been raped and killed so Wakanda could stand, then finding out Wakanda drove out the denizens in chains and forced them to live elsewhere from their homes and now some Wakandans went out into deep space, colonized several galaxies, and created a giant empire filled with slaves...

I mean is this the end goal? Wakanda becoming a villainous nation in the BP solo?

You can't claim to be spiritually advanced then do the exact same thing the rest of the world did, and now on a grander scale in this season. Makes you look like massive hypocrites
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:58:28 am by Ezyo »

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

Black Panther relaunches into space in this exclusive preview
by Oliver Sava

Wakanda has been the most advanced civilization on Earth for millennia, but the country’s reach is far greater than previously thought. Last year’s Marvel Legacy one-shot introduced the Intergalactic Empire Of Wakanda, and the ongoing Black Panther series is traveling to the stars for its latest relaunch. Writer Ta-Nehisi Coates has done great work exploring the politics and mythology of the African country in his Black Panther run, and he gets the opportunity to create an entirely new faction of Wakandans in this new series with artist Daniel Acuña. Coates’ first year on Black Panther had some pacing issues, and the writing struggled to balance the deeper thematic elements with exhilarating superhero action. That was fixed in Coates’ second year, which delivered thrills that energized the storytelling, and this exclusive preview of next week’s Black Panther #1 kicks off the new volume with force as T’Challa fights for his freedom in an alien mine.

The first page of this excerpt, which first appeared in Marvel Legacy with different text, immediately establishes the spectacular scale of Acuña’s artwork, and his design work shows how the spirit of Wakanda has been influenced by alien cultures in space. From there, the scope narrows considerably to introduce T’Challa’s new status quo: He might not have his royal authority anymore, but he still knows how to kick ass when he’s threatened. These pages are light on dialogue and heavy on mood, and they effectively signal a major shift for this series by putting T’Challa in a dark, cramped environment that he quickly escapes. The action moves with immense power and speed, and Acuna doesn’t lose any dynamism in the rich detail of his line work and coloring. There are a lot of questions in this preview about how T’Challa ended up in this situation, and readers curious about Black Panther comics after the movie have an easy jumping-on point that gives them something different than the film, but no less exciting.

https://www.avclub.com/black-panther-relaunches-as-a-cosmic-adventure-in-this-1826134184

APEXABYSS

Black Panther relaunches into space in this exclusive preview
by Oliver Sava

Wakanda has been the most advanced civilization on Earth for millennia, but the country’s reach is far greater than previously thought. Last year’s Marvel Legacy one-shot introduced the Intergalactic Empire Of Wakanda, and the ongoing Black Panther series is traveling to the stars for its latest relaunch. Writer Ta-Nehisi Coates has done great work exploring the politics and mythology of the African country in his Black Panther run, and he gets the opportunity to create an entirely new faction of Wakandans in this new series with artist Daniel Acuña. Coates’ first year on Black Panther had some pacing issues, and the writing struggled to balance the deeper thematic elements with exhilarating superhero action. That was fixed in Coates’ second year, which delivered thrills that energized the storytelling, and this exclusive preview of next week’s Black Panther #1 kicks off the new volume with force as T’Challa fights for his freedom in an alien mine.

The first page of this excerpt, which first appeared in Marvel Legacy with different text, immediately establishes the spectacular scale of Acuña’s artwork, and his design work shows how the spirit of Wakanda has been influenced by alien cultures in space. From there, the scope narrows considerably to introduce T’Challa’s new status quo: He might not have his royal authority anymore, but he still knows how to kick ass when he’s threatened. These pages are light on dialogue and heavy on mood, and they effectively signal a major shift for this series by putting T’Challa in a dark, cramped environment that he quickly escapes. The action moves with immense power and speed, and Acuna doesn’t lose any dynamism in the rich detail of his line work and coloring. There are a lot of questions in this preview about how T’Challa ended up in this situation, and readers curious about Black Panther comics after the movie have an easy jumping-on point that gives them something different than the film, but no less exciting.

https://www.avclub.com/black-panther-relaunches-as-a-cosmic-adventure-in-this-1826134184

really nice going (trevor noah voice)!
it's Django in space! still fun! Acuna- yep, the one  & only! magnificent art & color!

Start bangin', BP!

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Speculations:

This isn't 616 at all including Tchalla.
616 Tchalla is possessing the body of the Tchalla of that Universe.
This is all a dream with Tchalla unconscious.
This is 616 and 2000 years ago Wakanda figures out how to use the resurrection alter as a teleporter
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
For all the art and the potential. this is STILL COATES.

My expectations remain low.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
For all the art and the potential. this is STILL COATES.

My expectations remain low.

Unfortunately This is the case for me as well. Which is a shame because the concept is great and could of been a massive new feat for T'Challa. Wakanda being advanced since day one rather then T'Challa doing it creates a void, this here could of filled it with a new, grander feat, but instead ot appears to be used to further tarnish Wakanda. Even if its not the main land, it's still using the Wakandan banner. The arts gorgeous though so it will at least look pretty.

From Evans Twitter.

Though he is still a novice he is pulling well from. Continuity, I think if he Also manages to throw in N'Yami motherships on top of the prowlers I'll be thoroughly pleased. I think Rise should stay and be the book that allows Evans to develop his skills as a Comic writer further. It also gives us fans positive showings of Tchalla and Wakanda that should of been happening since his MCU debut

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
There is nothing wrong with your mind set. Do not attempt to adjust your mental picture. Ta Nehesi Coates is still controlling the narrative, he controls the politics and the vision. Coates can deluge you with misplaced continuity or expound a single flaw to absurdity... and beyond. He can distort Black Panther's history to little more than pointless tellings of revolutions and enslavement as one void of agency in Afrakan centered empowerment would do. Absent is the imagination for true AfroFuturism. For the upcoming season Coates will influence all that you see and read. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the recesses of self denial... to the outer limits of the Coatesverse.

THE COATESVESRE: SEASON 3

Honestly, I'm actually a little excited about tomorrow's release because of the dialogue and conversations to be had in my LCBS and here at the HEF. Who knows? Maybe at the end of this story line, T'Challa maybe the democratically elected ruler of a galactic empire in absentia because he prefers to moonlight at the Pym Laboratory.

I hope they make this cover into a poster.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
As long as its in the multiverse as advertised, Im willing to give it a fresh start and pretend like the first two arcs never happened.

If this is a jumping on point for new readers, that is pretty much what you would have to do anyway.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
As long as its in the multiverse as advertised, Im willing to give it a fresh start and pretend like the first two arcs never happened.

If this is a jumping on point for new readers, that is pretty much what you would have to do anyway.

I fully expect to get my hopes up with issue 1, start to feel the drag by 4, roped back in by a twist/splash page at 6, resign myself to disappointment by going "well if he sticks to landing..." then throwing my hands up in disgust at 12 while getting into arguments about how coates cant write

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I fully expect to get my hopes up with issue 1, start to feel the drag by 4, roped back in by a twist/splash page at 6, resign myself to disappointment by going "well if he sticks to landing..." then throwing my hands up in disgust at 12 while getting into arguments about how coates cant write

This was thoroughly hilarious how you put it. Frankly because I think this is exactly how I feel many others are going to respond to it. 

I feel like this could be a whole lot more exciting if he had a co-writer. Someone with experience and BP's best interest in mind

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I'd say it's feels like an average Image comic. Moves fast, but lacks any shock value. Decent action, but I was disappointed with the background art.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
First issue is a slavery analog with specific words used for that effect. Should be articles coming out dissecting it
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
BP #1 was a generic Story that you could literally replace the Mythos and franchise with a different one and nothing would change. Coates continues to make real world analogies to shackle the mythos down with the grace of a battle axe.

And it's all targeted at Wakanda. Wakanda has 3rd country stereotypes running rampant and Boko Haram elements, and to make the Monarch look worse, he gets advice from KNOWN despots in season 1

Season Two makes Wakanda into a pilgrim analog, driving out the denizens and forcing them off their land in chains.

Now European slave trade analog, taking it a step further by using actual names and locations in the real life event. Evil Wakanda needs to be taken down and Tchalla will do it.. 3 seasons and it's all been about tearing down Wakanda and BP to prop up pet Characters, Storm, and TBD on S3.. the art was good and T'Challa whooped ass atleast and M'Baku and Nakia look cool, and the maroon armor should be applied to the HZ. Otherwise generic.

6.5/10. Would be higher if he hadn't thrown Wakanda under the bus again

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
The Story Thus Far...
I woke up enthusiastic this past comic book day. Weather was ideal for outdoor reading. I arrived at the shop around opening time and went directly to new releases. Whetted by the potential that is engendered in the very ethos of the Black Panther, I still get a kid's enjoyment out of seeing a new Black Panther comic on the shelf. I state all of this because the last time I did such was for Coates' debut Black Panther comic in 2016 and in spite of the decades of comic book mishandling, the Black Panther remains a positive motivating force. I have to say I was pleased with the selection of variant covers.

This seated throne cover is my favorite and I look forward to acquiring it as a poster.

A cursory reading may suggest a course correction... good pacing and sound art; on panel action in which the protagonist doesn't get played like a jobber (despite an upgraded Goon Slam Gary delivering a face plant). Beyond that, even superficially engaging this new Black Panther comic book, one realizes Coates is still moored to deconstructing and discrediting the Black Panther, his mythos and Wakanda.

Let's go back. Starting with his introduction by Lee and Kirby, T'Challa the Black Panther was a focal point of scientific genius and technological innovation.  Thus T'Challa leading Wakanda into a new space age was a no-brainer. It could easily stand as one of the pillars for the Black Panther's burgeoning Afro Futurism... but no. Barring some forthcoming deus ex machina T'Challa the Black Panther is not responsible for the creation of this galactic empire.

Let us continue. As this is Wakanda in space, it would be good to see Wakandans doing science fiction based activities. X-Men get to, Avengers get to, Iron Man gets to. The trick however is to escape the contours of Star Trek and Star Wars imaginings and engage in some Afro Futurism that isn't mired in the oppression of so called Black people. Again Coates fails to achieve escape velocity. The Wakandan Galactic Empire is a conquering, oppressive force that enslaves people.

T'Challa himself (thus far unexplained) is a slave... who is in need of a blue skinned white hair alien to remind him of his "humanity." Coates even has the audacity to have this alien paraphrase Khalid Muhammad's masterfully sampled intro by Public Enemy. T'Challa is not seen as a man with a plan, three steps ahead of his opponent, planning a successful escape, organizing a rebellion. No, he is Kunta Kinte (1977) before he was hobbled... waiting to be liberated. His life is spared not through his own will and efforts nor means and measures of his own doing but by being the property of another.

Coates' penchant for making Wakanda an allegory for persecution and subjugation remains unabated. His authoritarian regime in The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda is as misplaced as the rape camps were in A Nation Under Our Feet. Thus he continually displays his low regard for the source material. Coates has yet to comprehend that Black Panther enthusiasts specifically and Afrakan people (so called Blacks) in general are most desirous of a victorious T'Challa the Black Panther and an inspiring Wakanda that represents the best of us. That is why the movie resonated so well with Afrakan people (so called Blacks) and in doing such it too was well received by every other group and demographic.