Author Topic: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale  (Read 757651 times)

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther
« Reply #4455 on: February 22, 2019, 03:18:57 pm »
The art is uninspiring.

I believe he is referring to Mayberry based on the picture. Bad plots, but good art.

Thanks for the reply!

maberry is still assigned to write Black Panther ?!

No, the image us just saying that even if the story is not good, Marvel should at least make the big moment look good.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther
« Reply #4456 on: February 22, 2019, 09:32:14 pm »
This is as uninspiring as it gets.

Should have left well enough alone.

Hell, even he of whom we no longer speak got that much right.

I fail to see how that is uninspired since it’s far better than the horrid Coates costume

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4457 on: February 23, 2019, 03:21:01 pm »
This is as uninspiring as it gets.

Should have left well enough alone.

Hell, even he of whom we no longer speak got that much right.

I fail to see how that is uninspired since it’s far better than the horrid Coates costume

Saying "it’s far better than the horrid Coates costume" emphatically states the case. Coates costume was a train wreck (not to mention the power set would have better served a new original character) and two train wrecks means they both went off the rail.

Artwork has a lot to do with it. Doesn't look like much thought went into its design.

Wings on a Black Panther suit, big bulky wings. Antithetical to Black Panther. T'Challa did better when he hooked up the Falcon in the 70's.

"So Shuri decides that it’s time — but she’s going to do things her way." yet another not so subtle, forced attempt at how she wants to so differentiate herself from T'challa. The focus on differentiating instead of inspired.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

“THE INTERGALACTIC EMPIRE OF WAKANDA: THE GATHERING OF MY NAME” PART 4 T’Challa journeys to the place where N’Jadaka’s rise began — the homeworld of the Between! But what he learns there will lead him to question the rebellion’s very foundation. Will Bast’s Champion ever be fully restored?

Written by: Ta-Nehisi Coates
Art by: Kev Walker
Cover by: Daniel Acuna, Paolo Rivera

Whether disguised in the cloak of inclusion, the apparel of feminism, LGBT uniformity or the appropriation of a science fantasy classic, Coates continues unabated in his attempts at erasure and permanent disfigurement of the Black Panther.

While the art is nice (Coates has had some very talented artist working with him) and the Afrakan terms and concepts are appreciated neither can salvage the narrative from obsolescence.

From the beginning of his tenure as BP writer he and his invited guests (Evan Narcisse not withstanding) have attempted to obfuscate and overwrite the history and defining traits of the Black Panther. With this unflattering homage to Star Wars Coates demonstrates his discomfort and showcases his disconnect from the Black Panther mythos. No claws, no powers, no special suit just a lost soul pinning away at a forgotten love.

The good news is no matter how long Coates continues to write BP the character has more than displayed a tenacity to weather such storms only to come back as he was meant to be. Like Maberry before him the least Coates has done is leave some trace concepts that maybe salvage under a more centered and committed Black Panther writer.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
We got so much other BP content out there, the solo doesn't matter. Had this been the solo ten years ago, we'd be in trouble.

Also writing my own fan fic is very cathartic. After I wrote the first few pages, I was like "Coates who"? Lol.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
So true. The superior presentation BP is receiving outside his own solo is gratifying. Totally agree with the purgation of writing one's own iteration of BP.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
One of the responsibilities of fandom is to ensure the integrity of the intellectual property they are invested in. This was made abundantly clear concerning the solo cinematic debut of Black Panther. Nonsensical character development; irreverent cultural sensibilities; duplicitous political sensitivity; all were averted due to the earnest tenacity of committed and conscientious fans and enthusiasts.

Despite being underestimated and undervalued BP supporters have and continue to challenge all areas of concern in relation to Black Panther and his world. This is why contributors like Coates, Gay and Okorafor remain under constant scrutiny.

Why Coates desires to write a character that he has such contempt for can only be surmised in the narratives of his choosing. Coates posits the all so vogue ideologies of female oppression and empowerment; LGBT representation by the inclusion of Queer women with the all so inseparable defining traits (sarcasm heavily emphasized) of so called black people... oppression and suffrage;   cruelty to one another and of course slavery.

This dulls the readers engagement with the Black Panther and his world. This is not why we came to Wakanda. This is not why we champion the Black Panther. All those involved in the Black Panther movie... Marvel studio heads, writers, producers, director, actors, musicians, costumers, set designers, etc. listened to the fans and enthusiasts; read the comics, selected some of the best source material and the results speak for themselves. We need a comic book that reflects this reality.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
We got so much other BP content out there, the solo doesn't matter. Had this been the solo ten years ago, we'd be in trouble.

Also writing my own fan fic is very cathartic. After I wrote the first few pages, I was like "Coates who"? Lol.

I can definitely relate to what you've written here, because my own fan fiction writing (for Star Trek) has made me look at the property in a different way, and I'm not as dependent on the officially licensed stuff to get the kind of Trek stories I want to see.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
One of the responsibilities of fandom is to ensure the integrity of the intellectual property they are invested in. This was made abundantly clear concerning the solo cinematic debut of Black Panther. Nonsensical character development; irreverent cultural sensibilities; duplicitous political sensitivity; all were averted due to the earnest tenacity of committed and conscientious fans and enthusiasts.

Despite being underestimated and undervalued BP supporters have and continue to challenge all areas of concern in relation to Black Panther and his world. This is why contributors like Coates, Gay and Okorafor remain under constant scrutiny.

Why Coates desires to write a character that he has such contempt for can only be surmised in the narratives of his choosing. Coates posits the all so vogue ideologies of female oppression and empowerment; LGBT representation by the inclusion of Queer women with the all so inseparable defining traits (sarcasm heavily emphasized) of so called black people... oppression and suffrage;   cruelty to one another and of course slavery.

This dulls the readers engagement with the Black Panther and his world. This is not why we came to Wakanda. This is not why we champion the Black Panther. All those involved in the Black Panther movie... Marvel studio heads, writers, producers, director, actors, musicians, costumers, set designers, etc. listened to the fans and enthusiasts; read the comics, selected some of the best source material and the results speak for themselves. We need a comic book that reflects this reality.

Very true. Despite my better judgment and bitter experience with Coates the first go round, I tried the Intergalactic Empire stuff to quickly lose interest. The artwork is good, as are some of the ideas or names, but Coates is a terrible writer, when it comes to Black Panther. His Captain America is not that bad. He has a respect for that character that he doesn't have for T'Challa. T'Challa, as a proxy for straight black men, has to beaten down and chewed out it seems. I will say that his Black Panther run has really showed me what Coates's really thinks. I had enjoyed much of his work for The Atlantic, but it took a comic book to expose how jacked up his views about black people (especially straight black men) really are IMO.

It sucks that under Coates the book sold crazy and no one can take that away from him. And he can use that to counter almost any criticism. Further, a generation of comic book readers might come to see his (and his compatriots) take on Black Panther as the definitive take on the character.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:33:31 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com

Do you have a link to the fan fic?

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Do you have a link to the fan fic?

No, its just on my Microsoft Surface. lol. Haven't touched in months though. If I remember correctly I wrote a four or five chapter story about Tchalla taking revenge on most Cabal members. Then I outlined the next story, but never started it.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

Very true. Despite my better judgment and bitter experience with Coates the first go round, I tried the Intergalactic Empire stuff to quickly lose interest. The artwork is good, as are some of the ideas or names, but Coates is a terrible writer, when it comes to Black Panther. His Captain America is not that bad. He has a respect for that character that he doesn't have for T'Challa. T'Challa, as a proxy for straight black men, has to beaten down and chewed out it seems. I will say that his Black Panther run has really showed me what Coates's really thinks. I had enjoyed much of his work for The Atlantic, but it took a comic book to expose how jacked up his views about black people (especially straight black men) really are IMO.

It sucks that under Coates the book sold crazy and no one can take that away from him. And he can use that to counter almost any criticism. Further, a generation of comic book readers might come to see his (and his compatriots) take on Black Panther as the definitive take on the character.

No worries Emperorjones, comic books in general and the Black Panther comic specifically will have their renaissance. Coates impressive sales of the first three or four issues were the result of a perfect storm of related events and as such they do bot reflect the totality of his run thus far. Coates and his compatriots are not seen by the current generations of fans as the definitive take on the character nor will any future generations because they will have Priest, Hudlin, Liss in comics followed by the movie and Avengers: Black Panther's Quest to both influence and select from.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Cover for Black Panther #14

"The immortal Daniel Acuńa Perez with the cover for Black Panther #14. Lotta people think the current season of Panther is Star Wars. Sure but it’s really the Middle Passage. What Dani captures so well is the distance between T’Challa—kidnapped, mind-wiped and enslaved by Imperials—and his African home, represented by his beloved Storm. Really happy to be writing this 400 years after we, ourselves, were kidnapped, mind-wiped, enslaved by Imperials and divided from our African home. Lot of people don’t get why I do comics. I don’t know that they ever will. All I can say is I love the act of creating them and this work feels as necessary as any work on reparations or police killings. In fact, it feels like the exact same work."

Tanehisi Coates from his IG post
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:23:50 pm by Ture »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
This issue... Reads like a comic you randomly pic up while browsing because when you flip through it looks interesting. But after you finish, it a not exciting enough to go get the subsequent books. I think it needs sex, nudity, and over the top gore to spice it up.

How is manifold the lynchpin to the imperial army? What were they doing before he showed up? Have the normal troops become Storm Troopers?
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
Cover for Black Panther #14

"The immortal Daniel Acuńa Perez with the cover for Black Panther #14. Lotta people think the current season of Panther is Star Wars. Sure but it’s really the Middle Passage. What Dani captures so well is the distance between T’Challa—kidnapped, mind-wiped and enslaved by Imperials—and his African home, represented by his beloved Storm. Really happy to be writing this 400 years after we, ourselves, were kidnapped, mind-wiped, enslaved by Imperials and divided from our African home. Lot of people don’t get why I do comics. I don’t know that they ever will. All I can say is I love the act of creating them and this work feels as necessary as any work on reparations or police killings. In fact, it feels like the exact same work."

Tanehisi Coates from his IG post

TurnCoates is writing meandering, mindless manure. Period. This fool actually thinks he's writing about The Middle Passage?

Howzabout actually using fictionalized aspects of real life great heroes and heroines who were around and did fantastic things during the European Slave Trade and ascribing these facets of personality to T'Challa and Company, while giving this directionless dung heap he calls a story...an ACTUAL direction that readers would find interesting?

Agaju Trudeau single handedly almost halted the entire slave trade. Put some of that guy in T'Challa. The Lamtuna and Gudala [ miscalled MOORS as if they were one consolidated ethnic group instead of two groups comprised of massive confederate ethnicities, all of whom were essentially cousins and oftentimes rivals to one another ] were pirates absolutely smashing Spain and others as they ventured near Southeast Asia and the miscalled Philippines. They were also much sought after teachers and mentors to the ruling classes of a burgeoning Europe. Wonderful, respectful stories abound there.

Quobah the Asante. Ngola Ginga.  Ayaba Amina. And a thousand million other names from history could be used to both make the Middle Passage allegory far more accurate, but also give the story an actual pulse and pull in actual interest from readers. Plus display some badly missing humor, sexiness, sex, impactful spirituality, etc.

The Middle Passage? Nah. This guy is writing the MENTAL Passage. Combined with the GARBAGE Passage.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw