Author Topic: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale  (Read 821683 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther
« Reply #4605 on: September 26, 2019, 12:56:03 pm »
Spot on review Emperorjones. I am hard pressed to see Coates disrespect Cap and his values to the degree he did with the Black Panther. The Coatesverse has rendered one of the worst, dare I say the worst, iteration of Wakanda ever to reach print. The worst part f his disgracing Wakanda and its people is he has them doing it to themselves. Coates is not the only one to do this, no sir. With such exceptions as Priest, Hudlin, Liss, McDuffie and few others, many writers, especially those writing him outside his ongoing, have done such. The Coatesverse is a weird place, a distorted mirror universe of some kind where all the attributes that should define and highlight Afrakan success and give rise to a most intriguing narrative are instead interpreted as some perverted pessimistic outcry for  lesbianism, female versus male social movement and political correctness. 
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther
« Reply #4606 on: September 26, 2019, 04:00:46 pm »
From the snippets of CA I've read and Black Panther in general, I don't see why Coates doesn't push to write a female lead title. There are a few out there that have survived.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: September 26, 2019, 07:08:30 pm »
From the snippets of CA I've read and Black Panther in general, I don't see why Coates doesn't push to write a female lead title. There are a few out there that have survived.

Yes! Why hadn't I thought about that before. Perhaps there is a masochistic side to him like that likes self-flagellation which makes him want to write male characters so he can excoriate them as proxies for himself and all males.

I could see him writing a Black Widow, maybe a Black Cat title. With his fame, he might be able to get another Storm solo, Shuri, Monica Rambeau, Nighthawk (Tilda Johnson), or Daughters of the Dragon book going. With Ironheart ending, he could jump on reviving that title.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4608 on: October 01, 2019, 11:14:00 am »

Yes! Why hadn't I thought about that before. Perhaps there is a masochistic side to him like that likes self-flagellation which makes him want to write male characters so he can excoriate them as proxies for himself and all males.

He's a pussy, to be blunt lol.

He doesn't have an alpha gene in his body. He writes not for comic book fans, but for literary beta males and fake "strong black females" who see testosterone and "male power fantasies" as evil.

Hence, his T'challa being a bitch. Who solved season 1? Shuri (strong female) talking the Doras down (by threatening) and Changamire (literary beta male cucked by alpha T'chaka) by the power of... talking.

Season 2? Strong female Storm saves the day. Thunderball uses science, not force to defeat Klaw... after being threatened by strong female Shuri.

Season 3... more of the same. Did T'challa kick nuKillmonger's ass? Nope... tricked by some random ass dude. Strong female Storm with idea from Strong Female O'koye blow up the Galactic invasion while T'challa whines and moans and asks for help from Strong Female "mother"

There are ways to write T'challa as more of planner and kingly delegater but to do that, T'challa has to keep that cocky royal voice of his but Coates can only write soft meek bookworms.

He sees all masculinity as toxic masculinity.... in a genre (super hero comics) where toxic masculinity is generally a positive trait.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: October 02, 2019, 07:46:13 pm »
Remember when that article came out and they were trying to claim that Narcisse was writing T'Challa as a "weak" protagonist and trying to say how that was a good thing?

Narcisse was criminally treated in his series that kicked the crap out of all the other soon offs

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: October 02, 2019, 07:48:24 pm »
Remember when that article came out and they were trying to claim that Narcisse was writing T'Challa as a "weak" protagonist and trying to say how that was a good thing?

Narcisse was criminally treated in his series that kicked the crap out of all the other soon offs

I don't remember that, I'll need to see that article.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: October 03, 2019, 12:49:49 am »

I don't remember that, I'll need to see that article.

Was it this article?

http://www.cbr.com/black-panther-new-power/

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: October 03, 2019, 05:18:01 pm »
Yeah that's the article. Its as though we weren't reading the same series

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: October 03, 2019, 05:59:55 pm »
Yeah that's the article. Its as though we weren't reading the same series

Weak male protagonist would be the wrong words for sure. lol.

If he were like that, he wouldn't even leave the palace. He'd just yell at people all day.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4614 on: October 04, 2019, 05:35:42 am »
LOL That was one of the dumbest things I have read.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4615 on: October 19, 2019, 03:54:52 am »
Marvel Reveals Stylish Dustin Weaver Black Panther Variant Cover (Exclusive)

By MATTHEW AGUILAR

Ta-Nehisi Coates has taken the Black Panther character and T'Challa's mythos into some amazing new directions during his Intergalactic Empire run, and Black Panther #19 starts the march towards the arc's finale. Fans are eager to see how this adventure ends, and while we will have to wait for those answers for a while longer, we can give you a glimpse of one of the upcoming variant covers. We're giving you an exclusive first look at Dustin Weaver's stylish new variant cover to Black Panther #19, which features Black Panther surrounded by allies and enemies, and you can check out the slick new cover in the image below.

As fans who have been keeping up with the series know, the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda has started their invasion of Earth and their assault on Wakanda Prime thanks to N'Jadaka, which is certainly enough of a headache to deal with. Things get worse though evidently in Black Panther #17, which teases that the body of Eric Killmonger has fallen into his enemies' hands, and that is the last thing he needed.

In Black Panther #18 fans will finally get some long-awaited answers in regards to T'Challa's fall from royalty to becoming a slave of the empire, and then it's time for issue #19, which kicks off the last leg of this big-time arc with a bang.

Black Panther #19 is written by Ta-Nehisi Coates and drawn by Ryan Bodenheim and a main cover by Meghan Hetrick. You can find the official description for the book below.

"THE FINAL ARC OF THE "INTERGALACTIC EMPIRE" BEGINS HERE!
The groundbreaking story of a king who became a slave - a slave who became a legend - reaches a tipping point as N'Jadaka's invasion of Earth continues! Wakanda goes to war against its own future...and its only hope lies in the king who brought them to this point."

Black Panther #19 hits comic stores on December 18th.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: October 19, 2019, 09:14:15 am »
They still be trying hard to sell this as some epic tale. It's like deja vu  here. They keep saying we will finally get the answers like 3 times now. Yet here we are 19 issues in and nothing of note has happened and we are supposed to believe it's going to end with a bang?

It's gonna end like S1

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4617 on: October 22, 2019, 04:57:44 am »
It is amazing how fast Coates lost people once the gimmicks dissapeared.

16K is an embarrassment.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4618 on: October 22, 2019, 07:03:27 am »
Who wants to play a game? These are straight facts, no chasers, no opinion, just numbers. Ok some opinion, based on fact though lol.

- BP v7 #16 is the 8th lowest issue sold in Black Panther history.

- If you limit it to T'challa lead issues (aka throw out Kasper Cole), BPv7 #16 is the 5th lowest issue sold in Black Panther History. The top 4 were all Liss run.

- T'challa lead Priest issues never sold under 20K in 49 issues with no marketing gimmicks, no renumbering, no event cross overs. He didnt fall to BP#16 range until his 60th issue using Kasper Cole. For the non Black Panther fans in here, remember, Priest lasted 62 issues with no gimmicks, no renumber, no crossovers, barely any marketing, no movies, no TV, taking an absolute dead character and re-inventing him...  WITH editorial interference being forced to use Vin Diesel look alike Kasper towards the end. 

- Hudlin's lowest issue was 19,455.

- Mayberry's lowest issue was 17,881

- BPv7, #16 is Coates 40th BP Issue. Priest 40th issue sold 20,188 (and held that number until issue 52! aka had a dedicated fan base until nuked by Kasper).

- Hudlin's 40th issue he wrote was actually vol5 #2, which sold 33,750. The 40th issue of vol4 was SWAD, written by Aaron. Hudlin's 38th issue sold 19,455.

- Priest average sales number was 25,241. If you throw out Kasper run, its 27,250.

- Hudlin's entire volumes averaged 35K. Use only volume 4 (his main one), and its 37,314. If you use issues Hudlin actually wrote (throw out mayberry and aaron), and its 37,114.

- Coates current average is 42,450. Which is obviously beyond solid... until you dig a bit.

- If you throat out Coates #1's (aka marketing gimmicks that do not reflect writing quality at all) and his intial legacy renumber marketing gimmick, and his average plummets to 34,462

- Hell, if you throw out JUST Coates initial #1 that did 200+ K sales that literally had absolutely nothing to do with writing quality and was purely based on speculation and hype, his average drops from 42,450 to 37,180!

- The entire basis of "Coates is the best seller of BP ever!" is all because of ONE FREAKING ISSUE! that had everyting to do with Hickman, years of no black panther solos, and Coates literary fame and absolutely NOTHING to do with Coate's writing itself. ONE ISSUE!! You throw out that one issue and Coate's SOLD NO BETTER THAT HUDLIN despite a billion dollar movie, despite "twitter followers," despite cartoons, despite merchandise everywhere.

- Let Coates keep his legacy renumbering, just take out his two #1's, drops to 34,991.

- If you think I am just chery picking, throw out Hudlins' two #1's and his mariage issue... 35,754.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: October 22, 2019, 07:08:39 am »
Like how you explained it Mind of Shadow. I would add that Coates also benefited from interest in the Black Panther film, and it being Black Panther's 50th anniversary didn't hurt either.