Author Topic: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale  (Read 821674 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Re: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther
« Reply #4620 on: October 22, 2019, 07:36:05 am »
Like how you explained it Mind of Shadow. I would add that Coates also benefited from interest in the Black Panther film, and it being Black Panther's 50th anniversary didn't hurt either.

Years and Years gap between solos, 4-5 years of Hickman building the character, Stelfreeze art with Stelfreeze covers, black panther film, 50th anniversary, multiple marketing gimmicks, using the Atlantic and YT and Twitter to market, having actual BP merchandise in every store with ease, BP in cartoons again, BP in team books again (ultimates), BP allowed to have spin off books

Priest and Hudlin sold what they did with NOTHING handed to them on a silver platter like Coates did.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther
« Reply #4621 on: October 22, 2019, 10:38:07 am »
Who wants to play a game? These are straight facts, no chasers, no opinion, just numbers. Ok some opinion, based on fact though lol.

- BP v7 #16 is the 8th lowest issue sold in Black Panther history.

- If you limit it to T'challa lead issues (aka throw out Kasper Cole), BPv7 #16 is the 5th lowest issue sold in Black Panther History. The top 4 were all Liss run.

- T'challa lead Priest issues never sold under 20K in 49 issues with no marketing gimmicks, no renumbering, no event cross overs. He didnt fall to BP#16 range until his 60th issue using Kasper Cole. For the non Black Panther fans in here, remember, Priest lasted 62 issues with no gimmicks, no renumber, no crossovers, barely any marketing, no movies, no TV, taking an absolute dead character and re-inventing him...  WITH editorial interference being forced to use Vin Diesel look alike Kasper towards the end. 

- Hudlin's lowest issue was 19,455.

- Mayberry's lowest issue was 17,881

- BPv7, #16 is Coates 40th BP Issue. Priest 40th issue sold 20,188 (and held that number until issue 52! aka had a dedicated fan base until nuked by Kasper).

- Hudlin's 40th issue he wrote was actually vol5 #2, which sold 33,750. The 40th issue of vol4 was SWAD, written by Aaron. Hudlin's 38th issue sold 19,455.

- Priest average sales number was 25,241. If you throw out Kasper run, its 27,250.

- Hudlin's entire volumes averaged 35K. Use only volume 4 (his main one), and its 37,314. If you use issues Hudlin actually wrote (throw out mayberry and aaron), and its 37,114.

- Coates current average is 42,450. Which is obviously beyond solid... until you dig a bit.

- If you throat out Coates #1's (aka marketing gimmicks that do not reflect writing quality at all) and his intial legacy renumber marketing gimmick, and his average plummets to 34,462

- Hell, if you throw out JUST Coates initial #1 that did 200+ K sales that literally had absolutely nothing to do with writing quality and was purely based on speculation and hype, his average drops from 42,450 to 37,180!

- The entire basis of "Coates is the best seller of BP ever!" is all because of ONE FREAKING ISSUE! that had everyting to do with Hickman, years of no black panther solos, and Coates literary fame and absolutely NOTHING to do with Coate's writing itself. ONE ISSUE!! You throw out that one issue and Coate's SOLD NO BETTER THAT HUDLIN despite a billion dollar movie, despite "twitter followers," despite cartoons, despite merchandise everywhere.

- Let Coates keep his legacy renumbering, just take out his two #1's, drops to 34,991.

- If you think I am just chery picking, throw out Hudlins' two #1's and his mariage issue... 35,754.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4622 on: October 24, 2019, 08:10:58 am »
BLACK PANTHER #20

TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • Ryan Bodenheim (A) • Cover by DANIEL ACUÑA
Variant cover by TBA

“THE INTERGALACTIC EMPIRE OF WAKANDA” WAKANDA UNBOUND part 2
THE DJALIA UNDER ASSAULT – FROM ITS KING?!

To unite the two empires of Wakanda, the Black Panther must destroy a vital piece of his own nation — the plane of all Wakandan memory and home to the griot spirits who have guided him throughout his rule as king. Can he do it? Can T’Challa banish his own father’s spirit? And will the cost be worth the gain?

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

ummm... what lol.

"guided him throughout his rule as king".... when did this happen lol?

"banish his own fathers spirit"... when did we see T'chaka in the Djalia?

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: October 24, 2019, 08:45:14 am »
BLACK PANTHER #20

Variant cover by TBA

To unite the two empires of Wakanda, the Black Panther must destroy a vital piece of his own nation — the plane of all Wakandan memory and home to the griot spirits who have guided him throughout his rule as king. Can he do it? Can T’Challa banish his own father’s spirit? And will the cost be worth the gain?

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

ummm... what lol.

The closest we came was in Shuris' book with that female BP. But the main book never received it. I figured it was just memory, not where their actual spirits resided.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4624 on: October 24, 2019, 08:50:02 am »
BLACK PANTHER #20

Variant cover by TBA

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

ummm... what lol.

The closest we came was in Shuris' book with that female BP. But the main book never received it. I figured it was just memory, not where their actual spirits resided.

Have their been any dudes in the Djalia? I only remember women?

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: October 24, 2019, 09:20:36 am »
I think there were in that same Shuri issue.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4626 on: October 24, 2019, 01:32:28 pm »

BLACK PANTHER #20
Variant cover by TBA

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: October 24, 2019, 04:12:41 pm »
Another nice cover. Why couldn't the inside be as good as the outside?

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: October 25, 2019, 05:09:24 am »
BLACK PANTHER #20

Variant cover by TBA

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

ummm... what lol.

It appears he is failing to keep track of his own continuity. He made it pretty clear on S2 that the KotD and Griot's are two separate things so how there somehow one and the same is from left field

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4629 on: October 25, 2019, 05:36:56 pm »
BP#17 Preview

courtesy of CBR's KingNomarch

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:35:43 pm by Ture »

Offline BlackClaw

• Yes my teeth and ambitions are bared! Be prepared!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: October 25, 2019, 06:49:00 pm »
Wow, having two black women at each other’s throats. Yep, we’ve officially reached Tyler Perry territory people.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4631 on: October 25, 2019, 07:36:22 pm »
OK, how are they teleporting in? Zenzi and Tetu need costumes. Changamire in the hoodie... his best look... before he goes all Medusa. I don't think I'll appreciate Killmonger latest resurrection via symbiote. NuNakia and Storm having a discussion... about...??? I have to admit, I'm liking Coates Storm better than Hickman's thus far.

Coates stories squandered much of their potential when he mired them in his personal political views. His speaking as a black male feminist in support of the LGBT while extolling false narratives of female violence, black male incompetency, national and governmental dysfunction all to serve a historical account that was inapplicable to the Black Panther mythos.

While Coates may see himself as pumping the brakes on his agenda he still seem dedicated to the corruption of all things concerning Black Panther and Wakanda. How else can one explain the Black Panther having to destroy the plane of all Wakandan memory and home to the griot spirits who have guided him throughout his rule as king. Not to mention T’Challa having to banish his own father’s spirit?

The next BP writer should focus on having two ongoing BP titles i.e. The Majestic Black Panther and Black Panther - The Most Dangerous Man Alive which rebuild both the Black Panther and Wakanda through largely insular stories with occasional guest appearances. An annual or special edition should retcon most of Coates' nonsense. 

Coates should be off the book by next year this time. Give a palate cleansing year off followed by a massive ad and promo campaign for the new BP books to be launched in February 2022. All this as we watch the momentum and excitement for the new movie reach its climax.

Last but not least I want a writer with a proven comic book writing resume; a proven understanding and affinity for the character and his mythos; well grounded in both Afrocentricity and Afrofuturism; and finally a writer who is respectful of and communicative with BP's fan base.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4632 on: October 27, 2019, 06:02:26 am »
Wow, having two black women at each other’s throats. Yep, we’ve officially reached Tyler Perry territory people.

LOL

When did Taku learn ot teleport anyway? I dont' remember him doing that in Season 1?

Online CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: October 27, 2019, 07:13:20 am »

LOL

When did Taku learn ot teleport anyway? I dont' remember him doing that in Season 1?

They do it, but I can't tell if its Tetu or Zenzi because they're always together when it happens.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: October 27, 2019, 07:11:55 pm »

I'm more annoyed by the fact that Coates had a chance to really showcase Wakandan tech by having Wakanda prime go through the portal and showcase its power and instead made it all about Storm. I mean, how does this benefit anyone? It's especially bothersome because it's being brought up in the preview and making Nakia look petty for no good reason other then to add unnecessary tension and catty behavior