Author Topic: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale  (Read 808202 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther
« Reply #4650 on: November 24, 2019, 09:31:50 pm »
Why would he assume Wakandans are Egyptians who fled when Wakanda was around before Christians invaded Egypt.

Do you remember when Shuri & T'Challa would greet each other in the movie?

Strongly suggests Egyptian & Wakandan culture are one and the same.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:34:54 pm by Battle »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther
« Reply #4651 on: November 25, 2019, 08:49:05 am »
The movie doesn't suggest that Wakandans moved from their original home to where they are now. The story starts out with "million's of years ago" so it seems more like Wakanda is older then Egypt, and not as all descended from them

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: November 25, 2019, 11:03:11 am »
At 10K, they predate Israel by like 4000 yrs.   And it's another 2000 yrs before Christianity.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: November 25, 2019, 01:15:31 pm »
Why would he assume Wakandans are Egyptians who fled when Wakanda was around before Christians invaded Egypt.

Do you remember when Shuri & T'Challa would greet each other in the movie?

Strongly suggests Egyptian & Wakandan culture are one and the same.

Also, if they go by the comics, the Panther God is Bast.

Whose idea was that, in the first place?

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: November 25, 2019, 02:56:08 pm »
Priest makes her Bast, but he also says African gods predate Egyptian gods(even thought it's in Africa too, but, lol) I think what he was getting at was the before she took on the name Bast, she was already being worshipped in the Wakanda region.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4655 on: November 29, 2019, 09:01:56 pm »

The fact that no one here at the HEF isn't even discussing this book speaks volumes.

Bleedingcool Gossip: Marvel Comics, Jason Aaron, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Moon Knight and Black Panther
Posted on November 28, 2019 | by Rich Johnston

While fellow Marvel Comics writer Ta-Nehisi Coates has carte blanche on his Black Panther book but I am told that a softening of sales during the Wakanda Intergalactic Empire storyline have lead Marvel Comics to relaunch the series with another shiny new #1 when that storyline comes to an end and becomes more… earthbound. And in for a penny, in for a pound, look for a new Captain America #1 from Coates as well…

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11/28/gossip-marvel-comics-jason-aaron-ta-nehisi-coates-moon-knight-and-black-panther/
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4656 on: November 29, 2019, 10:23:25 pm »
The Man from C.O.A.T.E.S.V.I.L.L.E. aka The character formerly known as Black Panther

Remember when Coates' storytelling was tailored to the inclusive, black male feminist, lesbian, toxic masculinity crowd? Well now he capes for the woke, soap opera-ish, challenged relationship, CW esque/BET/OWN demographic.

Some nice artwork though.

The feats and fight scene for this issue are the equivalent of an elderly woman swinging her purse to fend off attacking young adolescents.

The character formerly known as Black Panther cannot recognize slavery and the indignities suffered by others because he grew up privileged?

Got to call it.

Hudlin had T'Challa go on a walkabout for just that reason.

School Daze (shout out to Spike Lee)

For the in-comic continuity.

What a waste of world building. Hickman left everything in mint, ready to use condition and this is what Coates does with it.

The Man from C.O.A.T.E.S.V.I.L.L.E. suffers captivity and enslavement due to his lack of vision.

A provisional happy ending? The return of some of Coates favorite characters.

Coates scribes this issue with all the efficacy of a writer who doesn't like T'challa the Black Panther but doesn't want the reader to know it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 08:01:05 am by Ture »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: November 30, 2019, 02:59:36 am »
Good assessment, the normal reading location didnt have it yet, so that's why there is not much traffic around it. Lol

It's the worst issue of this space story. Tchalla would need below average intelligence for it to work. Terrible setup for the first issue.

Scenery from the balcony was nice though.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: November 30, 2019, 01:16:53 pm »
Its been talked about over on the CBR forum's and has been torn apart. The entire thing reads as an insult to T'Challa abd Wakanda. It's actually the worst issue to date, worse then s1. The whole privileged comment? T'Challas life has not been that at all, both parents were killed his mother when he was born, his father lost as a young boy and he was forced to grow up fast, plus the walkabout, plus Hudlin had T'Challa liberate an entire planet abd call out inhumans for slavery, and Priest had T'Challa call out the sins of his people too. So tjis whole contrived narrative comes from a place of lack of csre or research and respect for the mythos

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: December 03, 2019, 10:50:48 am »
I am surprised some still give Coates a shot in his Black Panther book. I cannot remember the last time I have read his book let alone an actual book from Marvel. Long time no post on my end.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4660 on: December 06, 2019, 12:49:30 pm »
A little something courtesy of CBR's Mr MajestiK aka HEF's Salustrade.

I was born in London, UK to Nigerian parents, subsequently studied, worked and lived in Nigeria for a solid thirteen years before returning to the UK in the late 80's, have never visited the US but still know about all of the history relating to the Black Panther Revolutionary movement, Fred Hampton, the Tulsa massacre and literally close to everything about the Civil rights struggle in America because I've always had an inquisitively open minded approach to learning that's governed my life to date.

Up until the recent launch of the Watchmen TV show, many of your fellow Americans (regardless of ethnicity) knew next to nothing about the Tulsa Massacre or Black Wall Street so I'm not sure where you get off maligning African immigrants who come to the USA from incredibly hostile environments, adapt to America and then, go on to achieve academically, get good jobs and build solid foundations for themselves for the most part despite the racism they face from some white Americans and the derision and ignorance they receive from some African-Americans.

If you knew anything about the hostile environments some of these Africans came from rife with daily adversity and uncertainty, you'd have some awareness as to why some of these African immigrants you've predictably called out, look askance at some of their African-American cousins who after many years after slavery ended, still remain ignorant as to their own innate strengths and capacity to overcome the very real adversity they face living in a construct designed to slow anyone without full knowledge of self, excelling to the fullest.

I have cousins born in the US to Nigerian parents, who've never had any negative encounters with the police and who for the most part get on with their daily lives dealing with lifes challenges on the regular.

They don't have time to "look down" on anybody as they're to busy excelling but that hasn't precluded them from having their distinctly African names being sneered at by some of their African-American cousins.

As for Coates the quality of Coates writing and its impact on the BP mythos, it was pretty obvious to me before he even penned the first issue of his run, that this writer knew absolutely nothing about actual African history or any of the rich cultural heritages that make up the rich tapestry of the entire length and breadth of the African continent.

I say this with full confidence because at the end of the day, if Coaes had done his due diligence as regards actual research into African history, he would have had a clearer understanding of the historical inspiration for the Dora Milaje, the rich history of pre Western-intervention African systems of governance that existed for millennia that sustained these African civilizations long before the arrival of the white man.

If Coates had even a baseline awareness of actual African history as opposed to his predilection for employing hyper-exaggerated stereotypes of African violence in his storytelling, he wouldn't have deployed his own jaundiced views of Africa into the Afrofuturistic milieu that Stan and Jack created all the way back in 1966.

Coates seeming disdain for Africans coupled with a possible inferiority complex on his part, has him locked in a never ending moebius loop that compels him to force his own thoroughly westernized perceptions of Africa upon a purely fictional African civilisation that was designed by two Jewish guys, to be fantastic exploration of what could have been if left untouched by Western imperialism.

It's Coates ignorance of pre-slave trade African history coupled with his a$$ backwards perception of Africans in general, that's informed every facet of his approach to the Black Panther mythos so it really doesn't come as a surprise to me that some folks who similarly lack any fact based knowledge of Africa and its multifaceted cultures would find no fault with his tone deaf BP solo, the ongoing and very deliberate neutering of T'Challa and his wholesale downgrading of Wakanda to a futuristic nation plagued with the the same psychological mental blocks suffered by others who were subjected to hundreds of years of mental and physical subjugation by colonisers.

Coates skewed mentality has completely unable to countenance the existence of an African nation wholly independent and advanced to the highest level even when based within a wholly fictional sci-fi setting and because his imagination doesn't stretch that far, rape camps and Boko Haram type activities within Wakanda, were the default aesthetic he chose to go with.

The sooner Coates gets done with his retrograde take on the BP mythos the better.

He can go learn how to write comic books with some other character.

Absolutely, Nuff Said... and well said at that!

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: December 07, 2019, 01:50:44 am »
Very nice look at Sal's perspective. I disagree with some of what he says about Black Americans compared to Africans/some African immigrants (some of the same concerns or criticisms about Black Americans not realizing their innate abilities could be readily applied to Continental Africans and other Diaspora Africans as well, and I don't think that perspective fully appreciates what Black Americans have fully endured, and still do), but still very well-written and informative take on how Coates's has mangled the Black Panther book and character. As a Black American, who doesn't know in depth about the history (histories), nuances, cultures of Africa I could accept some of the words/names Coates used as him having some knowledge. What I was able to pick up on quickly was his warped views on Black folks in a more generalized sense, particularly Black men, and his attempt to transpose American history/thinking onto Wakanda, but to be fair to him, I would argue just about all the other Black Panther creators have done the same thing, with varying success.

Where Sal asserts that Coates exaggerates African ills for Wakanda, I will say that's something that not just Coates does when it comes to writing stories about Africa (though I am loath to defend him much at all). I think that's a common failing when it comes to writing about Africa. I recall how Judd Winick talked about getting information from a scholar on Africa before he wrote the Batwing book, but some of the same popularized ills showed up in that book. Perhaps most grating is that at least Batwing was set in a real-world country, but Wakanda is supposed to represent an idea, a dream, so to introduce some of these ills, to put them on Wakanda showed a lack of imagination and perhaps exposed some of Coates's self-hate and his own mental/imagination blocks.

Comparatively when writing about Black Americans there can be a tendency to go for stereotype, to not really see or portray Black people as fully three dimensional human beings, but instead to fall back into tropes.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 01:52:33 am by Emperorjones »

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: December 07, 2019, 05:11:27 pm »
Refresh my memory. Was it Peter B. Gillis or Don McGregor who had crack in Wakanda?

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: December 07, 2019, 06:33:50 pm »
Refresh my memory. Was it Peter B. Gillis or Don McGregor who had crack in Wakanda?

McGregor. Panthers Prey.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4664 on: December 15, 2019, 08:24:29 pm »
Shuri Puts T’Challa in His Place in Black Panther #19 Preview
by Jude Terror

Black Panther #19 is in stores from Marvel Comics next week, by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Ryan Bodenheim, kicking off the final arc of the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda story. Will it also be the final arc before a #1 issue relaunch? That depends how things work out, we suppose, but the book is already into its 20s, which is a lot for a modern Marvel comic without a relaunch. The story begins with the Black Panther planning another excursion into space, hoping to take down the Empire once and for all.

But Shuri has had about enough of this. As far as she’s concerned, all of T’Challa’s adventures have been keeping him away from his actual duties, and she doesn’t feel like covering for him anymore.

And she does make a good case as to why.

Black Panther #19 hits stores on Wednesday.

"Shuri putting T'Chall in his place", not really, the author must be trying to start something between the siblings. Is it me or does T'Challa look 20 years older every issue? That wrinkled forehead is not cool. I guess all that artificial stress Coates has been manufacturing is wearing the king down. The last picture with the Black Panther's habit powered up is arguably the best image of the Black Panther in Coates whole run but every little bit of good is balanced by an extreme amount of bad.

OK, The Man from C.O.A.T.E.S.V.I.L.L.E. aka The character formerly known as Black Panther and his technologically disadvanced (made up a word) nation of Wakanda got defeated, again... by this?!? It appears this may be a clean up issue with more showing than telling. Coates could have done something truly monumental if he had the vision to leave Wakanda undefeated and contextualize some of those hits BP and Wakanda were taking before his run and and tell the tale that only the Galactic Empire of Wakanda could defeat Wakanda Prime. Then he could play Star Wars and have a true rebel force against the evil empire. The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda could have led up to a major summer event hitting multiple titles. Oh well. Coates will suffer for his lack of vision.

I think if written correctly a screenplay for the Black Panther sequels based on the the Galactic Empire of Wakanda has untapped potential and would do something very original for the Black Panther cinematic franchise. It could involve time travel bring back Killmonger; explain what Wakanda did to help end the captivity and enslavement of Afrakans; demonstrate Wakanda's vast might; T'Challa's strategic capabilities and genius intellect.  this could be the Black Panther's infinity War and End Game.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 09:15:21 pm by Ture »