Author Topic: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale  (Read 825033 times)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther
« Reply #4666 on: December 17, 2019, 11:45:26 am »
http://screenrant.com/black-panther-shuri-fight-marvel-comic/

I meab, are they even talking about the same comic? Wht they say and what's been shown are two completely different things altogether.

Plus they keep mixing comic Shuri with MCU Shuri to try abd hype this book up and it's ridiculous

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmic Revelations and Enslavement for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther
« Reply #4667 on: December 17, 2019, 03:40:13 pm »

I meab, are they even talking about the same comic? Wht they say and what's been shown are two completely different things altogether.

Plus they keep mixing comic Shuri with MCU Shuri to try abd hype this book up and it's ridiculous

When I saw that in the beginning, I thought this person might not know what she is talking about. lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: December 18, 2019, 04:29:53 am »

When I saw that in the beginning, I thought this person might not know what she is talking about. lol

reading the article it's clear that this person only knows about recent BP stuff, essentially coates stuff and MCU. Either that or she did a wiki search abd called it good enough

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: December 18, 2019, 07:02:58 am »
#19 was okay, more setup than anything and action was decent. Shuri was being dramatic about the extant of the loss, but as we say incompetent T'Chumpa was on full display during the talking scenes while Shuri seemed was the wisest person in the room similar to her return in first arc. He seemed more like a child than anything based on the way she talked to him.

If he wanted to make Shuri this high level, he should have just let her stay BP.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: December 18, 2019, 06:16:13 pm »
Yeah... The habit (both of them), Shuris new outfit, and how he used the Kinect energy were the only good things about the issue. It's almost comical that consistently, the only good thing about that comes from Coates time on this book, has nothing to do with anything he has actually done. The aesthetics and art are the only good things about this. Story and Characters? Utterly terrible. Like we get it Coates you jave disdain for your gender, you like idiotic T'Challa who gets talked down by his momma, his sister, only ladies.. anybody and everybody and his tchumpa doesn't have a backbone. Funny how Coates now is shade throwing about the marriage and taking shots at T'Challa. Like, can Coates seriously drop off to x office already

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4671 on: December 18, 2019, 09:00:32 pm »
BLACK PANTHER 9TEEN -  Is that you Jefferson Pierce?

For those not totally inclined Jefferson Pierce aka Black Lightening on the CW is portrayed in exactly the same manner.

Matter of fact he went from principal running a progressive school to just a teacher with a white man taking his position; problems with wife and daughters respecting him; physically beat down by cops in public view, voluntarily imprisoned; and perpetually on display as a milquetoast iteration of a "black" male super hero.

No worries. Just like Hip Hop saved us from having only the effeminate or androgynous male icons of pop music, so shall a comic book renaissance of new Afrakan (so called Black) writers emerge. When comics began to get stale a few decades ago the British invasion transformed the medium. We are on the cusp of a new invasion highlighting Afrakan centered, Afrofuturistic well developed characters and stories with awe inspiring art.

ONE THING IS CERTAIN -  Someone is reading our commentary and criticisms.

The artwork has gone stellar. The absolute best since Stelfreeze. The design and highlights potentials of the Black Panther habit have finally made it to the pages of Coates' BP. Instead of wasting pages on Shuri redressing T'Challa more thought and creativity could have placed on the war itself. This is why the Black Panther comic is dead in the water. Nothing epic has occurred during Coates entire run and the potential was there.  

THE "BLACK" VALKYRIE -  An usable Maberry

Two usable contributions Jonathan Maberry gave the BP franchise was Shadow Physics and the resulting Nowhere Room. Another concept that I ran with was the creation of the Mid Night Angels. I always favored there being just two Dora Milaje for a king (two Doro Milaje for a queen) and the all female army be the aforementioned Mid Night Angels.

Killmonger needs a new and original makeover... make it so!

Surprised that the majority of ancestors weren't female as they do appear underrepresented. Are such things even permitted in the Coatesverse?
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: December 19, 2019, 04:44:11 am »
I will say that artwork looks great, and the dialogue/depictions weren't as frustrating as I've read before. Do they have any Black Panther issues without the dialogue/word balloons? Where you can write your own dialogue?

Also, dead on about Black Lightning. I stopped watching that show. I gave it like one episode this season and that was enough. The first season was much better than I thought it would be. Though going into it, I suspected that when I heard Anissa particularly, but also Jennifer, were going to be on the show, that BL would be sidelined and the show would be more about his daughters, especially Anissa. And even though he was disrespected and checked even in Season 1, by his wife and his daughters, he was reliant on Gambi (a white man, which I'm not tripping too much on because that is like some of the comics I've read; though it does annoy me that Anissa, once again, in particular, never disrespects or challenges Gambi like she does her own father. She's more inclined to listen to his advice. It also is just a pet peeve but I don't like when they call him "Uncle Gambi". Shouldn't it be Uncle Peter or whatever his first name is? I don't feel like looking it up right now to be sure).

There was some good BL moments in Season 1, some nice action, nice social commentary, good soundtrack, Tobias Whale, and the story did try to keep BL as the lead character somewhat. But Season 2 just got boring in spots, and the lack of action, the lack of villain costumes, the lack of superheroics, the poor use, underuse, of characters like The Masters of Disaster and Looker, the focus on family drama above all just lost me.

They even introduced a cool, original character at the end of Season 2, Instant, and I don't think they've even brought him back. From what I saw of Season 3, they had another potential good villain, however he's played by the actor who played Braxton on the Jamie Foxx Show, and it's a failing of mine, but I can't shake Braxton out of my head even though he's did his best, from what I saw, to make this a legit threat to the Pierce Family and to the city of Freeland. Also, Bill Duke is very good as well, but the show is lacking an energy to make it must viewing for me. 

Also, Season 3 opened with Anissa donning a whole new superhero/vigilante identity (with a cool costume) and it felt to me that this is the show the Akils should be writing. Anissa is a much more dynamic, and I'll just say it, masculine, character than Jefferson. They even gave Anissa her own lair and her own Anissamobile. We get to see her various romantic/sexual relationships, she's more rooted in the community (which was supposed to be one of the things that made BL stand out in the comics, IMO). I think both the Anissa and Jennifer actresses are good, and if they had just done a show about an original vigilante character, with the Anissa actress, I might have given that a chance (if I watched the whole pilot of Batwoman I have a high tolerance for pain), and from what I've seen of Anissa the vigilante, she's much more assured and the actress is better.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:02:35 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: December 19, 2019, 08:06:12 am »
Its just more of the same, Coates taking potshots at T'Challa and using Shuri now to shade throw and place blame on T'Challa for everything.and the isht he has her say clearly shows a bias or lack of knowledge of BP lore (probably a combination of both) and it's quite embarrassing how little Coates thinks of himself that is being projected onto T'Challa, as he has him get talked down to and scolded like a child and his spineless tchumpa the bland panther just comes off even more like a fool.

But Coates doesn't care, he obviously doesn't give a isht about T'Challa and it's always shown, and every issue he finds new creative ways to show us how he doesn't give a F if he drags T'Challa through the mud, so long as he gets to deliver his message ™

It's really unfortunate that we still have a long way to go till he gets let off the book

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: December 19, 2019, 08:44:00 am »
^
Tchumpa. Love it.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4675 on: December 19, 2019, 12:19:25 pm »

BLACK PANTHER #22

TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • DANIEL ACUÑA (A/C)

Variant cover by Kaare Andrews

THE INTERGALACTIC EMPIRE OF WAKANDA – “WAKANDA UNBOUND” part 4

THE GOD KILLER AWAKES!

N’Jadaka’s vast army nears Wakanda Prime on Earth — and now even the gods are despair of their chances against him. But Bast will not abandon her avatar, the Black Panther…even if she has to recruit an outsider to save him. The Goddess makes an unexpected ally as the war grows desperate!

courtesy of CBR's KingNomarch

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com
« Reply #4676 on: December 19, 2019, 02:01:28 pm »
Its just more of the same, Coates taking potshots at T'Challa and using Shuri now to shade throw and place blame on T'Challa for everything.and the isht he has her say clearly shows a bias or lack of knowledge of BP lore (probably a combination of both) and it's quite embarrassing how little Coates thinks of himself that is being projected onto T'Challa, as he has him get talked down to and scolded like a child and his spineless tchumpa the bland panther just comes off even more like a fool.

But Coates doesn't care, he obviously doesn't give a isht about T'Challa and it's always shown, and every issue he finds new creative ways to show us how he doesn't give a F if he drags T'Challa through the mud, so long as he gets to deliver his message ™

It's really unfortunate that we still have a long way to go till he gets let off the book

My two cents:

1. Okoye (the supporting character) took out the main villain and left him unattended so he escaped.

2. T'Challa took out the third villain down in Zenzi (supporting character to main villain) only to allow her to  get up all of a sudden. Then Zenzi turns the Dora against him.

3. The Space Empire is fighting a war on two fronts of which there is no advantage. Storm is destroying the Space Empire army on one front and Wakanda is taking them on another front which should stretch the invading Space Empire's forces.

3. The end game with the 'we must destroy the memory plane' seems to be all of Wakanda will find out all about the atrocities that the founders of the nation did and feel ashamed by it.

4. In Shuri's mini she saved the 'memory plane' from destruction but in the Black Panther book she has suddenly changed her mind and wants the 'memory plane' gone.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 02:25:26 pm by CKW »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: December 19, 2019, 03:42:10 pm »

My two cents:

1. Okoye (the supporting character) took out the main villain and left him unattended so he escaped.

2. T'Challa took out the third villain down in Zenzi (supporting character to main villain) only to allow her to  get up all of a sudden. Then Zenzi turns the Dora against him.

3. The Space Empire is fighting a war on two fronts of which there is no advantage. Storm is destroying the Space Empire army on one front and Wakanda is taking them on another front which should stretch the invading Space Empire's forces.

3. The end game with the 'we must destroy the memory plane' seems to be all of Wakanda will find out all about the atrocities that the founders of the nation did and feel ashamed by it.

4. In Shuri's mini she saved the 'memory plane' from destruction but in the Black Panther book she has suddenly changed her mind and wants the 'memory plane' gone.

That is a funny one. If she had done nothing, the Maroons probably would have won without ever needing to go back to Earth. Wasn't the M'Kran crystal shard supposed to be the key to getting the memories back?
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: December 19, 2019, 04:06:08 pm »

My two cents:

Okoye taking out N'Jadaka and more so in that issue, showing up front and center with T'Challa off to the side was just insulting.

Zenzi getting up was random as hell too and off

Apparently (and I say that because Coates entire series completely and utterly lacks scale) the empire is so vast that T'Challa is going to need more outside help so they must be fine from storm.

Yeah this whole retcon fest from Coates completely flies in the face of and goes against what Lee and Kirby established Wakanda to be and specifically created to be the response to what the west did. The fact Coates is literally retconning the mythos to make it into the very thing it was created against, is beyond insulting everything the mythos stands for.

The last part is more of Coates ignoring his own cabals continuity, like he constantly does to his own continuity.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4679 on: December 20, 2019, 01:01:03 am »
I will say that artwork looks great, and the dialogue/depictions weren't as frustrating as I've read before. Do they have any Black Panther issues without the dialogue/word balloons? Where you can write your own dialogue?

Also, dead on about Black Lightning. I stopped watching that show. I gave it like one episode this season and that was enough. The first season was much better than I thought it would be. Though going into it, I suspected that when I heard Anissa particularly, but also Jennifer, were going to be on the show, that BL would be sidelined and the show would be more about his daughters, especially Anissa. And even though he was disrespected and checked even in Season 1, by his wife and his daughters, he was reliant on Gambi (a white man, which I'm not tripping too much on because that is like some of the comics I've read; though it does annoy me that Anissa, once again, in particular, never disrespects or challenges Gambi like she does her own father. She's more inclined to listen to his advice. It also is just a pet peeve but I don't like when they call him "Uncle Gambi". Shouldn't it be Uncle Peter or whatever his first name is? I don't feel like looking it up right now to be sure).

There was some good BL moments in Season 1, some nice action, nice social commentary, good soundtrack, Tobias Whale, and the story did try to keep BL as the lead character somewhat. But Season 2 just got boring in spots, and the lack of action, the lack of villain costumes, the lack of superheroics, the poor use, underuse, of characters like The Masters of Disaster and Looker, the focus on family drama above all just lost me.

They even introduced a cool, original character at the end of Season 2, Instant, and I don't think they've even brought him back. From what I saw of Season 3, they had another potential good villain, however he's played by the actor who played Braxton on the Jamie Foxx Show, and it's a failing of mine, but I can't shake Braxton out of my head even though he's did his best, from what I saw, to make this a legit threat to the Pierce Family and to the city of Freeland. Also, Bill Duke is very good as well, but the show is lacking an energy to make it must viewing for me. 

Also, Season 3 opened with Anissa donning a whole new superhero/vigilante identity (with a cool costume) and it felt to me that this is the show the Akils should be writing. Anissa is a much more dynamic, and I'll just say it, masculine, character than Jefferson. They even gave Anissa her own lair and her own Anissamobile. We get to see her various romantic/sexual relationships, she's more rooted in the community (which was supposed to be one of the things that made BL stand out in the comics, IMO). I think both the Anissa and Jennifer actresses are good, and if they had just done a show about an original vigilante character, with the Anissa actress, I might have given that a chance (if I watched the whole pilot of Batwoman I have a high tolerance for pain), and from what I've seen of Anissa the vigilante, she's much more assured and the actress is better.

Like you Emperorjones I thought the show started of better than I expected. Good looking cast; good villains; and they hit a high note on the music selection. Gambi being the brains of the out fit (and even being a reformed agent provocateur) reeked of M.A.N.T.I.S and Blade's folly in that regard. Anissa lesbianism was strident and even her first girlfriend had to drop a comment on being replaced by an Asian chick. I liked the rogues, Lala, Tobias and Jill Scott's characters butI knew trouble was brewing when they took her out so early on. Bill Duke is great.

As far as Black Lightening himself I was able to deal with him as long as he had some agency... being a principal, single dad, husband on the mend, vigilante but when they contrasted all those things is was hard to watch him. The "uncle Gambi" thing is so cloying. The messages and images seen on shows like this speak volume on how Afrakan (so called black) super heroes are repurposed or just straight up purposed to be incomplete and feeble.