Author Topic: Termination and Liberation for the Damisa-Sarki Coate's Black Panther Finale  (Read 760655 times)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
Ta-Nehisi Coates Exits Black Panther With 40-Page Final Issue
Ta-Nehisi Coates, Daniel Acuña and Brian Stelfreeze's time with Black Panther will come to an end with a 40-page final issue this June.
BY ADREON PATTERSON MAR 20, 2020

Black Panther writer Ta-Nehisi Coates and artists Daniel Acuña and Brian Stelfreeze will end their landmark run with issue #25.

In Coates' final issue, T'Challa has come full circle. He will return to Wakanda after traveling the galaxy and enduring many trials outside his homeland. Now, the superhero has come home to reclaim his rightful place as King of Wakanda.

Marvel Comics has issued no announcement about whether Coates' last issue will conclude the series or if a new creative team is coming on board.

BLACK PANTHER #25
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • DANIEL ACUÑA & BRIAN STELFREEZE (A) • COVER BY DANIEL ACUÑA
FINAL ISSUE VARIANT COVER BY BRIAN STELFREEZE
VARIANT COVER BY SAM SPRATT
THE FINAL ISSUE OF TA-NEHISI COATES’ LANDMARK RUN!
It’s the end of an era for the Black Panther as renowned writer Ta-Nehisi Coates concludes his Wakandan epic! Over four years, Coates has taken the Black Panther to hell and back and expanded Wakanda into the distant stars. Now, in his final issue, he brings T’Challa full circle, back to the home he left behind…and the crown he has never fully accepted. This is the story of a king who sought to be a hero, a hero who was reduced to a slave, a slave who advanced into legend…and the man who has struggled to hold up an empire in his bare hands. The journey will conclude, but the legend remains. Don’t miss the close of a historic epoch in comic history! Coates, Acuña and Stelfreeze's Black Panther #25 goes on sale June 2020 from Marvel Comics.
40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

While it's very fortunate that this is the end of COATES, it's UNFORTUATE that we're almost certainly looking at the end of the BLACK PANTHER SERIES as well. Coates' garbage books have sold terribly, and this one is ranked #123 in February of this year.

123   123   132   Black Panther   21   $3.99   02/26/20   Marvel   14,639

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2020/2020-02.html

What's almost certain to happen? Is that they cancel the book and revive it either next year in Black History Month or the year after when The Black Panther movie is slated to hit. That approach will pretty much guarantee them a hit series.

In the interim? The wypipo are going to drag. DRAG. T'Challa and Ororo. Without T'Challa's readership helping out, and without a marquee name like HICKMAN carrying her writing chores AND writing her often? Ororo will fade into the background and back into her traditional role of X-nanny, supporting non-entity, and chocolate covered White girl clinging to her mutant gene over her Afrikan identity and loyally playing 55th fiddle to Whoever The Mutant White Woman This Year Is.

Be not surprised to find Ororo being the ornament on the arm of some White man, next. Then speedily rejected by said White man, after said White mutant man is done with her. This is how the X-Office sees Ororo. This is how the X-fans see Ororo [ except the Rutogs and Jenn's of the world ]. This is what we'll see going forward into next year.

I hope I'm wrong, but prior history tends to affirm rather than refute my prognostications above...

...thoughts, HEFfas?

When one considers the fact that Ta Nehisi Coates, an African-American, has run T'Challa, Wakanda and the entire Bpack Panther into the proverbial ground, I fail to see what "wypipo" has to do with anything in this regard?

No one twisted Coates arm where derailing T'Challa's comicbook trajectory was concerned.

That was all on him.

Ta Nehisi Coates deserves every bit of scorn and dislike we've heaped upon him. There's no intention on my part to in any way dilute or deflect that. Imo? Betrayal by one who SHOULD HAVE been one of our own is WORSE than betrayal from outside of the community.

But. The "wypipo" were there before, during and after Coates. And they...as I said...will DRAG T'Choro as they've done before. Most especially the X-Office and the leeway they frequently enjoy plus their well known venom towards T'Choro. These people are universally wypipo who are invested in the neutering of BP; most ESPECIALLY if there's no RH or CJP types around to defend BP.

Hope I've clarified my position for you, bruh.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I definitely understand that sense of betrayal. I was hopeful when I heard that Coates got the Black Panther job. I was impressed with a lot of his writing about racism in The Atlantic, and with his father being a literal Black Panther, and him going to Howard (for some time), and heck, just him being a black man (I mean Christopher Priest and Reginald Hudlin did right by the character; I also didn't have a problem with Eric Jerome Dickey's miniseries),  I was expecting a more respectful take on the character. That being said, I wasn't expecting to agree with every creative decision. I didn't agree with everything Priest or Hudlin did when they were writing the book, and that goes for the other writers I've read too-Maberry, Liss, Aaron, and Hickman, etc. There was good and bad in all of their depictions, but with Coates about the only things I can come up with was the art was pretty good during his run, I liked his names for some things, and some of his ideas weren't bad, but the execution and writing were a frustrating slog.

Coates's work on this comic totally changed my opinion about him and I can't look at his writing on more 'serious' subjects the same way again, but it also explained his lackluster testimony about reparations, an idea he helped to popularize in the mainstream to begin with.

I don't see Coates though as being different than any of white folks who are anti-BP at Marvel. I think he was chosen because he has similar views, along the more progressive/liberal side of things, when it comes especially to straight black men. Only this week, some on the internet have dragged the new New Warriors, especially what i'm assuming are the black characters Snowflake and Safespace the most, and both of those characters look like they could fit inside Coates's take on Wakanda, if not the main book then one of the side books, perhaps as Shuri's friends. And I've seen some already starting in on Vita Ayala's Children of the Atom characters. Coates's run has been terrible IMO but I can't say it's much different than what we are getting out of Marvel today. He's part of a trend IMO.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:46:23 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Ta-Nehisi Coates Exits Black Panther With 40-Page Final Issue
Ta-Nehisi Coates, Daniel Acuña and Brian Stelfreeze's time with Black Panther will come to an end with a 40-page final issue this June.
BY ADREON PATTERSON MAR 20, 2020

Black Panther writer Ta-Nehisi Coates and artists Daniel Acuña and Brian Stelfreeze will end their landmark run with issue #25.

In Coates' final issue, T'Challa has come full circle. He will return to Wakanda after traveling the galaxy and enduring many trials outside his homeland. Now, the superhero has come home to reclaim his rightful place as King of Wakanda.

Marvel Comics has issued no announcement about whether Coates' last issue will conclude the series or if a new creative team is coming on board.

BLACK PANTHER #25
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • DANIEL ACUÑA & BRIAN STELFREEZE (A) • COVER BY DANIEL ACUÑA
FINAL ISSUE VARIANT COVER BY BRIAN STELFREEZE
VARIANT COVER BY SAM SPRATT
THE FINAL ISSUE OF TA-NEHISI COATES’ LANDMARK RUN!
It’s the end of an era for the Black Panther as renowned writer Ta-Nehisi Coates concludes his Wakandan epic! Over four years, Coates has taken the Black Panther to hell and back and expanded Wakanda into the distant stars. Now, in his final issue, he brings T’Challa full circle, back to the home he left behind…and the crown he has never fully accepted. This is the story of a king who sought to be a hero, a hero who was reduced to a slave, a slave who advanced into legend…and the man who has struggled to hold up an empire in his bare hands. The journey will conclude, but the legend remains. Don’t miss the close of a historic epoch in comic history! Coates, Acuña and Stelfreeze's Black Panther #25 goes on sale June 2020 from Marvel Comics.
40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

While it's very fortunate that this is the end of COATES, it's UNFORTUATE that we're almost certainly looking at the end of the BLACK PANTHER SERIES as well. Coates' garbage books have sold terribly, and this one is ranked #123 in February of this year.

123   123   132   Black Panther   21   $3.99   02/26/20   Marvel   14,639

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2020/2020-02.html

What's almost certain to happen? Is that they cancel the book and revive it either next year in Black History Month or the year after when The Black Panther movie is slated to hit. That approach will pretty much guarantee them a hit series.

In the interim? The wypipo are going to drag. DRAG. T'Challa and Ororo. Without T'Challa's readership helping out, and without a marquee name like HICKMAN carrying her writing chores AND writing her often? Ororo will fade into the background and back into her traditional role of X-nanny, supporting non-entity, and chocolate covered White girl clinging to her mutant gene over her Afrikan identity and loyally playing 55th fiddle to Whoever The Mutant White Woman This Year Is.

Be not surprised to find Ororo being the ornament on the arm of some White man, next. Then speedily rejected by said White man, after said White mutant man is done with her. This is how the X-Office sees Ororo. This is how the X-fans see Ororo [ except the Rutogs and Jenn's of the world ]. This is what we'll see going forward into next year.

I hope I'm wrong, but prior history tends to affirm rather than refute my prognostications above...

...thoughts, HEFfas?

When one considers the fact that Ta Nehisi Coates, an African-American, has run T'Challa, Wakanda and the entire Bpack Panther into the proverbial ground, I fail to see what "wypipo" has to do with anything in this regard?

No one twisted Coates arm where derailing T'Challa's comicbook trajectory was concerned.

That was all on him.

Ta Nehisi Coates deserves every bit of scorn and dislike we've heaped upon him. There's no intention on my part to in any way dilute or deflect that. Imo? Betrayal by one who SHOULD HAVE been one of our own is WORSE than betrayal from outside of the community.

But. The "wypipo" were there before, during and after Coates. And they...as I said...will DRAG T'Choro as they've done before. Most especially the X-Office and the leeway they frequently enjoy plus their well known venom towards T'Choro. These people are universally wypipo who are invested in the neutering of BP; most ESPECIALLY if there's no RH or CJP types around to defend BP.

Hope I've clarified my position for you, bruh.

The entire X-office is not solely inhabited by "wypipo" so attributing the lions share of blame towards one racial demographic is somewhat assumption and wistfully myopic in the face of the bigger threat posed by faux "woke" idiots like Coates and his ilk, who have deluded themselves into believing that their supposed "knowledge of self" is just another variation of ignorance infused self hatred masquerading as progressiveness.

Wypipo like Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, created Black Panther and other "wypipo" such as Don McGregorm David Liss and Al Ewing contributed towards positive depictions of T'Challa that were cognizant of T'Challa's intellectual and physical prowess as well as Wakandan excellence.

It remains quite revealing that not even Jonathan Maberry of Doomwar infamy, stooped so low as ro devolve Wakanda into a stereotypical hell hole of misogyny, gender conflict and rape camps.

That distinct disrespect to the BP mythos was signed, sealed and delivered to us by Ta Nehisi Coates who the last time I looked, was most definitely not "wypipo."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
For those unable to get a physical copy (due to the CORVID19 pandemic or lack of interest) or do not have a subscription for a digital one, here is the latest issue in its entirety.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The issue was lacking. Needed counter scenes of Tchall remembering past successful events.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
This entire intergalactic empire run had the trappings to be something great. Instead it is just another run on how many ways one can disrespect T'Challa the Black Panther. Coates kills off NuNakia thus eliminating a very strong potential love interest. No doubt of course a female Black Panther ancestress has to be the one to down T'Challa. Having T'Challa referred to as boy. I mean really. The entire battle in the D'Jalia reads like a bad report card. 

Don't tell Coates or someone who has his ear isn't reading our commentaries. This issue was a direct response to those of us, who have consistently criticized his approach and mishandling of T'Challa the Black Panther. Coates feels justified and vindicated in as much that there are on panel reasons for the direction of his narrative. What he never realized was those references were for the most part out of character and poorly scripted. They needed correcting but Coates saw them as something to build upon. He was wrong and the sales show it.

Coates could have made Black Panther history if he had chose to write an uplifting tale of Afrakan sustained progress and liberation but instead he will go down in infamy for furthering the negative campaign against the Black Panther. Coates' disdain for the Black Panther continues unabated but for only 3 more issues. Let the count down commence.

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com
Ture can you do me a favor? Kindly post the first page of Coates run that started four years ago..the page where T'Challa is on one knee bleeding from his temple, his father is disowning him in the background and the miners thatare revolting against him because of the ill memories that  they have of him.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Ture can you do me a favor? Kindly post the first page of Coates run that started four years ago..the page where T'Challa is on one knee bleeding from his temple, his father is disowning him in the background and the miners thatare revolting against him because of the ill memories that  they have of him.
This entire intergalactic empire run had the trappings to be something great. Instead it is just another run on how many ways one can disrespect T'Challa the Black Panther. Coates kills off NuNakia thus eliminating a very strong potential love interest. No doubt of course a female Black Panther ancestress has to be the one to down T'Challa. Having T'Challa referred to as boy. I mean really. The entire battle in the D'Jalia reads like a bad report card. 

Don't tell Coates or someone who has his ear isn't reading our commentaries. This issue was a direct response to those of us, who have consistently criticized his approach and mishandling of T'Challa the Black Panther. Coates feels justified and vindicated in as much that there are on panel reasons for the direction of his narrative. What he never realized was those references were for the most part out of character and poorly scripted. They needed correcting but Coates saw them as something to build upon. He was wrong and the sales show it.

Coates could have made Black Panther history if he had chose to write an uplifting tale of Afrakan sustained progress and liberation but instead he will go down in infamy for furthering the negative campaign against the Black Panther. Coates' disdain for the Black Panther continues unabated but for only 3 more issues. Let the count down commence.

The entire run of Coates is lacking. The generally solid to excellent artists and the BP fans one and all deserved better than to have Coates beshat upon us. Imagine what an actually good writer...with the thundering unprecedented success of the BP behind them to boot...could have and would have done with BP. If R to the H had THAT kind of push PLUS the ear of Marvel Editorial like when he first opened up on BP [ and outsold AIRY damn body too, remember ]? BP would be rockin Batman+ level sales on the monthly. We'd have rotating artists like Lashley Eaton Acuna and Cowyn on the series. The only danger would be that BP might not be in Empyre...because not even The Skrull-Shi'ar combo would want any parts of the butt whoopin waitin for them in Wakanda.

3 more putrid issues and Coates IS. GONE. FIIIINALLLYYYYY!!! yES, Brother Ture. I am with you. Let the countdown to the celebration begin.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

Here you go CKW.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:34:56 pm by Ture »

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com
Thank you Ture and for your concern about the impact of COVID 19 on your fellow HEFs.

IMO the recent BP issue and the first ever images in Coates' run highlight that it was never about progressing the character but examining toxic masculinity.

Also in regards to New Avengers issue 3 as cited by the editor or Coates, I believe that during Captain America's mind wipe  there was a discussion between the two characters where T'Challa told Steve that he was prepared to do the right thing over his personal beliefs/oaths.

So when T'Challa was faced again with the task of doing the right thing in issue 21 of the New Avengers (as cited by Coates/editor) over his personal point of view he surrendered to his personal ethics and did not do the 'right thing'. It was a character arc for T'Challa as written by Hickman.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:13:59 pm by CKW »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
It's more important for Coates to take things out of context and simply cast blame. Most notably how Coates brings up AvX and puts that on T'Challa, even though storm Left to join the x men, storm entered Wakanda with X-Men and Storm attacked T'Challa in front of the Wakandan people and threw her ring at him.. but he is the one who takes the fall.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Thank you Ture and for your concern about the impact of CORVID 19 on your fellow HEFs.

IMO the recent BP issue and the first ever images in Coates run highlight that it was never about progressing the character but examining toxic masculinity.

Also in regards to New Avengers issue 3 as cited by the editor or Coates, I believe that during Captain America's mind wipe  there was a discussion between the two characters where T'Challa told Steve that he was prepared to do the right thing over his personal beliefs/oaths.

So when T'Challa was faced again with the task of doing the right thing in issue 21 of the New Avengers (as cited by Coates/editor) over his personal point of view he surrendered to his personal ethics and did not do the 'right thing'. It was a character arc for T'Challa as written by Hickman.

Coates conveniently forgets that right away, Hickman shows T'Challa starting off in his first book and first turn on the page by flashing his far too often overlooked incredible speed and stealth, and using these combined with his unmatched ubergenius to DECISIVELY notch the win against new credible foes in the guise of Black Swan and her crew...

...and defeating Black Dwarf [ off panel, a very unsatisfying and imo "punk" move, but still a victory that reverberates throughout the book and which Hickman has Black Dwarf admit he's impressed with even in the presence of unforgiving, death dealing Thanos ]

unlike Coates, whose default mode seems to always shows T'Challa being a failure, getting spurned or chastised, etc. As Coates shows here, he feels that T'Challa's very name shows the weight of one who bears the weight of ten lifetimes of "...rages and shame". There is NOTHING SHAMEFUL IN BEING WAKANDAN; THERE IS MUCH TO BE PROUD OF, ASPIRE TO AND BE HUMBLED BY. Yet to Coates? There is SHAME, as the end of the monologue of this sistah shows:

in this same character arc of Hickman's T'Challa...T'Challa actually has a power granted to him that matters significantly to the story and results in a BIG WIN for the heroes:

buries his father's dagger in Namor's chest.

He repeatedly shows hypertech genius and is shown on panel as being part of the elite trio of intellects with Tony and Reed in all of Marvel superherodom, T'Challa defeats Namor decisively in h2h, reminds Namor that T'Challa himself does "...what giants do..."

Hickman grasps and shows right away that he understands that Wakanda is someplace truly special, something beyond the mental thews of even such colossal intellects as Doom...not some place for people like Coates to display their dislike of authentic Afrikan intellect, culture, power, etc and fear of Black HeteroMasculinity

Under Hickman's pen? T'Challa outmaneuvers and defeats both Black Swan and Black Dwarf,

T'Challa shows that he's the moral anchor of The New Avengers and is the only one present who can destroy another planet for THE RIGHT REASONS AND NOT LOSE HIS SOUL DOING SO

T'Challa is shown to be the unyielding King-Hero he is, not some mind wiped slave held captive in his own kingdom. Unlike Coates, T'Challa isn't shown as some sad sack constantly apologizing to Ororo and others while being upstaged by unknown suckas in his own book [ none of whom by rights could in actuality hope to hold a candle to him ]. And when offered the opportunity to surrender even to his friends, T'Challa replies as T'Challa's inner being can only have him reply:

In short, even in his clear missteps...Hickman shows that he has a much greater grasp of the character of T'Challa than Coates ever did, ever wants to, and ever will.
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Its hard to write a character well and in character when you hate everything they stand for, represent, and inspire others to be. Simply put.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Its hard to write a character well and in character when you hate everything they stand for, represent, and inspire others to be. Simply put.

CO-SIGN!!!
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC: