Author Topic: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not! NEW BP #5  (Read 1250692 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK #1 Finally, it's here!!!
« Reply #4995 on: November 24, 2021, 11:39:12 am »
On my first read, this was good. Story read well, with enough intrigue to have me coming back. There was no sense of dread or waiting for that inevitable ball to drop in the narrative. The pacing was smooth and the art work was both fitting and aesthetically pleasing. Nice bright colors which I think were appropriate especially for Wakanda.

At first I was a little concerned about T'Challa's voice based on the preview but it read as though it fit reading the comic all the way through. Next Ridley tackled my second concern... that thing with the Avengers. I didn't want to read about T'Challa being torn between adventuring with the team or serving his nation and on that Ridley did not disappoint. As a matter of fact those seven pages with the Avengers would have been better served as exposition on T'Challa's emperor-ship of an intergalactic empire or his showing off some new tech or training modalities.

Ridley gave a fair assessment of parliamentary procedures and of T'Challa's response to such. Here the art of Juann Cabal and the colors of Federicio Blee outdo themselves. Prime Minister Folasade looked superb. She is in charge but it wasn't done with overemphasis or at the expense of T'Challa's dignity.

Agents Jhai and Omolola served their purpose well enough. Their whole scene looked and read cinematic owing I would assume to Ridley's first love. I would have preferred Ridley digging in the long boxes and getting characters from Black Panther's past to fulfill these roles but that's coming from a long time reader of Black Panther, an enthusiast who wants to remember a close friend dare say brother of T'Challa's. Still I think Malaika and Hunter would've worked well. Agents Jhai and Omolola armoring up was cool. It good to know that T'Challa shared some of his high tech.

The new adversaries almost look like religious zealots and they look cool. I would have preferred some new original weapons, I mean these are Wakandans they are coming after.

The potential love interest and love triangle between T'Challa and Omolola has some potential. Shuri was a bit off putting with her responses to T'Challa yet it still seemed to work because T'Challa still came off as boss and as the man with a plan.

Coming up... the confrontation with the X-Men; Black Panther vs Captain America(can anyone say ad nauseam); and apparently T'Challa and Omolola going against the Dora Milaje.

Well we will see what the future holds. "I'm more than ready. I live for this."

Quiet as its kept we need some new slang and catch phrases. Just saying.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: November 25, 2021, 04:06:40 pm »
——-——-S P O I L E R S—————-

So Ridley appears to be taking T’Challa down the path CJP felt was the next logical step for his iteration of BP before it was cancelled, a Doom-path of sorts toward 616 villainy? Did not agree with CJP at the time, but perhaps it’s something to explore in a calculated way now? Strategically placed sleeper agents is not the worst idea, but T’Challa would not give them assassination authority, that’s Hatute Zeraze stuff, overplayed as T’Challa sanctioned protocol should an agent deem warranted by a threat to Wakanda.

I can see a Wakandan parliamentary government as a T’Challa approved, Wakanda embraced, development though Ridley’s T’Challa hardly seems to “approve” and may likely have a coup contingency given the extent he felt he needed to go to, establishing an international sleeper agent network, to protect Wakanda?

It will be interesting to see how far down the rabbit hole Ridley takes T’Challa? All in all, an intriguing debut, competent and visually compelling if not immediately encouraging (lot of previous trauma) yet, as with any fresh start there’s hope not immediately dashed by the first issue.

My Two Cents…

Peace,

Mont

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: November 25, 2021, 07:59:52 pm »
I'll post what I posted in the CBR

Oh man that was a fun read.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I wish it was a different character like taku or someone we actually knew and. It being an OC takes the wind out of it. Also hope omolola isn't the villain Because that's too obvious, too cliche. Maybe make us think it's her but then have it not.

Good to see T'Challa with some Bass in his voice again, and good on him/Ridley to criticize democracy because Coates acted like it was the best thing on earth after asking WHY Wakanda was a Monarch. Ridley answered it in one issue.

Shuri is becoming more and more annoying especially given she had been queen but I am fine with her not being on his corner. T'Challa needs to be shown as head strong and knowing he is doing the right thing despite what everyone else says. Show us why he is the GOAT and THAT guy.

Overall good read. Light-years ahead of Coates and I am Actually excited again to read BP. This wasas definitely a breath of fresh air and I hope Ridley only goes to from here. I look forward to the inevitable 200 issue with cautious optimism lol [/B]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 08:06:10 pm by Ezyo »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: November 26, 2021, 04:21:45 am »
I'll post what I posted in the CBR

Oh man that was a fun read.

I wish it was a different character like taku or someone we actually knew and. It being an OC takes the wind out of it. Also hope omolola isn't the villain Because that's too obvious, too cliche. Maybe make us think it's her but then have it not.

Good to see T'Challa with some Bass in his voice again, and good on him/Ridley to criticize democracy because Coates acted like it was the best thing on earth after asking WHY Wakanda was a Monarch. Ridley answered it in one issue.

Shuri is becoming more and more annoying especially given she had been queen but I am fine with her not being on his corner. T'Challa needs to be shown as head strong and knowing he is doing the right thing despite what everyone else says. Show us why he is the GOAT and THAT guy.

Overall good read. Light-years ahead of Coates and I am Actually excited again to read BP. This wasas definitely a breath of fresh air and I hope Ridley only goes to from here. I look forward to the inevitable 200 issue with cautious optimism lol [/B]

I was thinking the same about the friend. But after thinking about I remembered Ridley is a movie writer. This is probably the way he would write a spy/action movie knowing the audience doesn't know any characters  The smart move would be to use half the pages of a future issue to flush out their friendship.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: November 26, 2021, 03:16:04 pm »
Marvel Just Debuted Wakanda's Black Ops Team - and It May Ruin Black Panther

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-wakanda-black-ops-team-ruin-black-panther/

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: November 26, 2021, 03:25:30 pm »
Marvel Just Debuted Wakanda's Black Ops Team - and It May Ruin Black Panther

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-wakanda-black-ops-team-ruin-black-panther/

This writer has obviously not read any Priest arcs. Lol

He dont know this is standard operating procedure. Lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: November 26, 2021, 08:15:10 pm »
There was an article I posted on CBR that I think is... Interesting

On a side note, I found this article funny, particularly the part about how the person writing it doesn't like T'Challa being written well... In character

"Marvel’s new Black Panther series reveals a new T’Challa with new challenges - Polygon" https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/reviews/22801291/black-panther-comic-series-new-avengers

Coates’ T’Challa, far from a swaggering swashbuckler, was guilt-ridden, pensive, cerebral … scared. He deferred to those wiser than him, many of whom were female (Romonda, Shuri, Storm, even the manifestation of the goddess Bast).

So to see T’Challa so disrespectfully dismissive to a woman in power; to see him embrace a militarist ideology that flies in the face of the democracy he willingly created; to watch him act unilaterally, recklessly, when we’ve seen him accomplish so much more with others — it’s galling and frustrating. Yet for some, maybe for many, what I call frustration might be preferable.

T’Challa here is more inline with previous characterizations from Christopher Priest and Reginald Hudlin, a return to character for a man who annulled a marriage in the middle of a fight and who willingly joined a group called the Illuminati. Still, to see Coates’ characterization rolled back so unceremoniously gave me pause

These tears shall be delicious, getting back to the REAL T'Challa. Plus you know, the fact this person clearly doesn't know much about T'Challa save for Coates era. I hope Ridley continues to revert to more of Priest panther, who doesn't need advice on how to wipe his own ass

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: November 29, 2021, 06:59:19 am »
There was an article I posted on CBR that I think is... Interesting

On a side note, I found this article funny, particularly the part about how the person writing it doesn't like T'Challa being written well... In character

"Marvel’s new Black Panther series reveals a new T’Challa with new challenges - Polygon" https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/reviews/22801291/black-panther-comic-series-new-avengers

Coates’ T’Challa, far from a swaggering swashbuckler, was guilt-ridden, pensive, cerebral … scared. He deferred to those wiser than him, many of whom were female (Romonda, Shuri, Storm, even the manifestation of the goddess Bast).

So to see T’Challa so disrespectfully dismissive to a woman in power; to see him embrace a militarist ideology that flies in the face of the democracy he willingly created; to watch him act unilaterally, recklessly, when we’ve seen him accomplish so much more with others — it’s galling and frustrating. Yet for some, maybe for many, what I call frustration might be preferable.

T’Challa here is more inline with previous characterizations from Christopher Priest and Reginald Hudlin, a return to character for a man who annulled a marriage in the middle of a fight and who willingly joined a group called the Illuminati. Still, to see Coates’ characterization rolled back so unceremoniously gave me pause

These tears shall be delicious, getting back to the REAL T'Challa. Plus you know, the fact this person clearly doesn't know much about T'Challa save for Coates era. I hope Ridley continues to revert to more of Priest panther, who doesn't need advice on how to wipe his own ass

Thanks Ezyo! Such an uniformed, Coates-centric take by this author exhibiting the damage Coates and Marvel did to T’Challa’s characterization. Long known as the most unshakably noble of Marvel characters, well before Coates, clearly this author didn’t dig into who pre-Coates T’Challa was and flat out wrongly states that he willingly joined the Illuminati. ‘Laughable’ is an apt characterization of this writer’s understanding of T’Challa’s character.

Peace,

Mont

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: November 29, 2021, 11:33:02 am »
I loved the Polygon review. It gives me more hope that we will finally get a more proper depiction of T'Challa. Looking forward to getting my copy in the mail.

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: November 30, 2021, 04:09:39 am »
Read it and it was solid but not spectacular or filled with multiple storylines like previous runs.  Thought it would be more complex - it seems solid.  Art was good and pacing was ok.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: November 30, 2021, 06:38:42 pm »
At this point I will take one solid storyline over trying to set up multiple stories which will likely just naturally happen as this story progresses. Sometimes less is more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #5007 on: December 02, 2021, 12:12:52 pm »
PrintWatch: Second Prints For Black Panther #1, Hulk #1 and Venom #1
by Rich Johnston
Black Panther #1, Hulk #1 and Venom #1 are all getting second printings from Marvel Comics as well as tiered 1:25 second printing variants as well, in order to encourage retailers to bump those numbers up.

BLACK PANTHER #1
Written by JOHN RIDLEY
Art by JUANN CABAL
Second Printing Sketch Cover by ALEX ROSS and 1:25 Second Printing Design Cover by JUANN CABAL

Academy Award-winning writer John Ridley and Stormbreaker artist Juann Cabal take the world of Wakanda into a new age in BLACK PANTHER #1. The new run kicks off with an action-packed espionage story that will upend everything in T'Challa's life and have ramifications for the entire Marvel Universe! Secrets from T'Challa's past have come back to haunt him! Fresh from his travels in space, Black Panther receives an unexpected and urgent message from a Wakandan secret agent! Now, T'Challa must race the clock not only to save his agent, but also to keep his true agenda under wraps. Because if the truth comes out, it could cost T'Challa everything… BLACK PANTHER #1's second printing covers will feature the sketch art of Alex Ross' mesmerizing cover as well as a second printing cover featuring Juann Cabal's new Black Panther design.

So John Ridley's 12 Issues of Black Panther may become a reality.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 12:20:48 pm by Ture »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK #1 Goes to Second Printing!
« Reply #5008 on: December 04, 2021, 11:39:32 am »
Black Panther's Darkest Secret Makes Him Worse Than MCU's Killmonger

http://screenrant.com/black-panther-dark-secret-worse-killmonger/

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: NEW BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK #1 Goes to Second Printing!
« Reply #5009 on: December 04, 2021, 04:20:30 pm »
I don't know about it making him worse but he damn sure sounds a bit more prepared and preemptive than his soon to be late MCU counterpart.