Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK - Ridley's Believe it or Not!  (Read 1426214 times)

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I was just about to post this. Lol
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Lol. Great minds eh

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Lol. Great minds eh

I got it in the comments section of two of my main posts. Waiting on EJBNG. To approve my original post.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

The future of Black Panther err Wakanda comics.

Shout out to CvilleWakandan and Ezyo for the links.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
And to be fair they've done what I've asked. If it's a spinoff and BP isn't involved, leave BP off the title.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If writers dont feel comfortable writing Wakanda properly, remove Tchalla from the situation. Exile is a version of that. I remember asking for that during Coates first arc. Lol
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
And to be fair they've done what I've asked. If it's a spinoff and BP isn't involved, leave BP off the title.
If writers dont feel comfortable writing Wakanda properly, remove Tchalla from the situation. Exile is a version of that. I remember asking for that during Coates first arc. Lol

Bet money they are going to still mention T'Challa, of only to talk about how big a piece of isht he is.  They can't help themselves. But they won't have his name to use as a fallback and will actually have to be good on its own since they believe Wakanda was always the character and All

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
That's other people's opinion of him. He doesn't say that he's broken. Kasper era Tchalla seemed much more broken. He walked around in a bath robe most of the time. Lol. He only came back to normal at the end because the book got canceled and they moved him to Avengers.

I see ya'll need to re-read Coates if anyone thinks this is the worst written. If the cover for issue 9 is accurate hes back in a BP suit. So either they work something out where he's BP, but not King which hasn't meant anything anyway because he's supposed to have only been ceremonial. Or he's David Liss BP and he's just calling himself BP with no connection to Wakanda.

And really he dosen't need to be King because he's already an Emperor. Lol

And Akili is not technically a villain yet. He gave up his power too. He asked for it back after Tchalla escaped custody. So if Tchalla had went along this wouldn't be happening. And like the Hatute issue Ridley messed by setting up that they were going to continue the investigation and then forgetting about it. So Akili is seizing power due to as he sees it, a potential traitor in Tchalla and a weak head of state in the PM.

I disagree with you about Akili. I think his lying about T'Challa being a traitor and making up a T'Challa-mutant conspiracy put him in the villain category. But that was reinforced when he bogarted the Prime Minister out of power. Just like any villain they have their reasons, their rationalizations, or excuses, but Akili seizing power and attempting to kill T'Challa instead of allowing a more transparent airing/examination of the charges against him, makes him pretty villainous IMO. It's just he's not a well depicted villain. Perhaps if Ridley had put Akili in the role of Jhai, being T'Challa's best friend, but also Omolola's lover, it might have given him more personal stakes instead of generic power hungriness.

If I recall about Priest's run (it's been a very long time since I read it), he had T'Challa suffering from a brain aneurysm so that is a good enough explanation for me why he would not be at his best. We've seen nothing like that with Ridley's run. If anything, Ridley's run feels like a bait and switch so far. Because it starts of with T'Challa happily throwing himself into the fray, seeming to be enjoying himself, and handling business, and only several issues later he's now this incompetent failure who can't almost do anything right.   

Regarding that Wakanda comic, is that supposed to be a miniseries? I can't see a long-running title like that working. While there have been stabs at focusing more on Gotham without Batman or Krypton without Superman, and some of those works seemed to be well-received, I don't think Wakanda and its denizens sans T'Challa have the popularity of either Gotham or Krypton. As a miniseries fine, and perhaps they can work on creating more new characters, but it would also be good to catch up with already established Wakandans from past runs.

As CVille was saying, I got a vibe that these events could lead to T'Challa being exiled or choosing to exile himself. That would open him up to more adventures, but I don't know if Ridley is the best person to tell those stories. Also, Ridley's BP run has left me less interested in a solo Wakanda series than I might normally be.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 05:25:43 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
That's other people's opinion of him. He doesn't say that he's broken. Kasper era Tchalla seemed much more broken. He walked around in a bath robe most of the time. Lol. He only came back to normal at the end because the book got canceled and they moved him to Avengers.

I see ya'll need to re-read Coates if anyone thinks this is the worst written. If the cover for issue 9 is accurate hes back in a BP suit. So either they work something out where he's BP, but not King which hasn't meant anything anyway because he's supposed to have only been ceremonial. Or he's David Liss BP and he's just calling himself BP with no connection to Wakanda.

And Akili is not technically a villain yet. He gave up his power too. He asked for it back after Tchalla escaped custody. So if Tchalla had went along this wouldn't be happening. And like the Hatute issue Ridley messed by setting up that they were going to continue the investigation and then forgetting about it. So Akili is seizing power due to as he sees it, a potential traitor in Tchalla and a weak head of state in the PM.

I disagree with you about Akili. I think his lying about T'Challa being a traitor and making up a T'Challa-mutant conspiracy put him in the villain category. But that was reinforced when he bogarted the Prime Minister out of power. Just like any villain they have their reasons, their rationalizations, or excuses, but Akili seizing power and attempting to kill T'Challa instead of allowing a more transparent airing/examination of the charges against him, makes him pretty villainous IMO. It's just he's not a well depicted villain. Perhaps if Ridley had put Akili in the role of Jhai, being T'Challa's best friend, but also Omolola's lover, it might have given him more personal stakes instead of generic power hungriness.

If I recall about Priest's run (it's been a very long time since I read it), he had T'Challa suffering from a brain aneurysm so that is a good enough explanation for me why he would not be at his best. We've seen nothing like that with Ridley's run. If anything, Ridley's run feels like a bait and switch so far. Because it starts of with T'Challa happily throwing himself into the fray, seeming to be enjoying himself, and handling business, and only several issues later he's now this incompetent failure who can't almost do anything right.   

Regarding that Wakanda comic, is that supposed to be a miniseries? I can't see a long-running title like that working. While there have been stabs at focusing more on Gotham without Batman or Krypton without Superman, and some of those works seemed to be well-received, I don't think Wakanda and its denizens sans T'Challa have the popularity of either Gotham or Krypton. As a miniseries fine, and perhaps they can work on creating more new characters, but it would also be good to catch up with already established Wakandans from past runs.

As CVille was saying, I got a vibe that these events could lead to T'Challa being exiled or choosing to exile himself. That would open him up to more adventures, but I don't know if Ridley is the best person to tell those stories. Also, Ridley's BP run has left me less interested in a solo Wakanda series than I might normally be.

We the readers know he's wrong, but from his point of view Tchalla looks guilty. This started with the circular accusations(another reason why I say Shuri is the villain. lol). And Tchalla ran. If I was Akili, without reader knowledge, Tchalla looks like a traitor. At minimum he's trying to hide something.

Looks like it will be a five part anthology series with different writers for each and Narcisse doing backup stories at the end for former Panthers.
Tchalla is in forced exile. There is a mention about it in the Ezyo's posted article. And it looks like Tchalla is taking the mantle with him ending millennia of WK tradition. Im sure them editors are rubbing their hands and cant wait to turn WK into The Wire: The Wakanda Chapters.
. But this miniseries is going to be a bad look I feel. Suddenly Wakanda is going to have record breaking crime, slums, ghettos, police shootings, and corrupts politicians. Pollution and an upper class that looks down on the lower.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I would have had Akili meet Omonola while Tchalla was in space for however many months. They form a relationship and because he's a traditionalist, he decides to become BP. But then Tchalla comes back. So the starts a plan of getting Tchalla out of the way by going after the program that Tchalla started and killing his 'best friend'. Leaving him with an opportunity to make the civilian govt. look weak and restoring the absolute monarchy with himself and Omonola as King and Queen.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

We the readers know he's wrong, but from his point of view Tchalla looks guilty. This started with the circular accusations(another reason why I say Shuri is the villain. lol). And Tchalla ran. If I was Akili, without reader knowledge, Tchalla looks like a traitor. At minimum he's trying to hide something.

Looks like it will be a five part anthology series with different writers for each and Narcisse doing backup stories at the end for former Panthers.
Tchalla is in forced exile. There is a mention about it in the Ezyo's posted article. And it looks like Tchalla is taking the mantle with him ending millennia of WK tradition. Im sure them editors are rubbing their hands and cant wait to turn WK into The Wire: The Wakanda Chapters.
. But this miniseries is going to be a bad look I feel. Suddenly Wakanda is going to have record breaking crime, slums, ghettos, police shootings, and corrupts politicians. Pollution and an upper class that looks down on the lower.

Yes, we the audience know that Akili is in the wrong, however even within the context of the story it looks to me that Akili could easily be lying about T'Challa's evil intentions to grasp for power. And Akili could even be lying to himself to justify his actions. I could see Akili being the mastermind, anticipating that T'Challa would run, thereby making himself look guilty. Though he had been put into a corner where his best option was to run lest he be subjected to a sham trial. I'm of the opinion that Akili is pulling the strings here and is cognizant of what he is doing and really wants, but that Ridley hasn't done a good enough job establishing Akili as a legit big bad.

Thanks for the info on the miniseries.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
I would have had Akili meet Omonola while Tchalla was in space for however many months. They form a relationship and because he's a traditionalist, he decides to become BP. But then Tchalla comes back. So the starts a plan of getting Tchalla out of the way by going after the program that Tchalla started and killing his 'best friend'. Leaving him with an opportunity to make the civilian govt. look weak and restoring the absolute monarchy with himself and Omonola as King and Queen.

I think this scenario would work better than what Ridley has done. And it would've created two new worthy villains for the BP mythos.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

I think this scenario would work better than what Ridley has done. And it would've created two new worthy villains for the BP mythos.

And if we want to build up their credibility, while Tchalla was gone Akili trained using the hard light program fighting the Avengers as seen in BP vs DP. Then he puts his agents through the same training, that way we know they'd be a challenge for Tchalla.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Can't argue against Akili being evil because he was solidly defending T'Challa until news broke that Omolola may of been the killer then he dropped the name operation Killswitch or whatever it's called and T'Challa asked how he knew about it (which has yet to be answered) then once T'Challa tins Akili immediately tells Folasade to execute emergency powers and kill T'Challa, when she tries to take it back he says she isn't in control and then sends the HZ to kill her and the aid... Can't really deny that Akili it's being the villain.

He played everyone. It's not a deal about him doing what he thinks is right because he turned immediately when the opportunity arose

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Obviously it's bad writing, but if Shuri hadn't called the meeting he'd have had no opportunity to seize power. Unless the plan was to expose Tchallas' sleepers which no one saw as much of a scandal or he thought his agents were good enough to kill Tchalla, his plan heavily depends on a series of coincidences. Shuri calls a meeting-He gets accused and has an opportunity to make accusations-Tchalla runs-he uses Tchallas' previous actions of going to mars against him which he wouldn't have known about until after they got back-PM gives him emergency powers.

Its sure isn't a Palpatine level plan. lol
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline BlackClaw

• Yes my teeth and ambitions are bared! Be prepared!
    • View Profile
I guess one positive from this is that itíll finally get all these neophyte writers who hate TíChalla away from him and maybe, just maybe, a solo TíChalla ongoing can be written by people who give a sh*t about the character. But it unfortunately it seems Marvel just wants to bury him entirely.