Author Topic: Suicide Squad is Getting Ripped Apart  (Read 14100 times)

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Suicide Squad is Getting Ripped Apart
« on: August 03, 2016, 06:31:44 am »
in the 30's right now on RT

This seemed like a fool proof movie to me. Wonder what the hell happened?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide Squad is Getting Ripped Apart
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 04:44:27 pm »
Some of the scuttlebutt out there right now is that WB got real skittish about the performance of Batman v. Superman and wound up screwing up Suicide Squad in their efforts to insure a bonafide hit.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/report-warner-bros-turned-suicide-squad-into-a-mess-i-1784760580

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 05:14:14 pm »
Also saw in a link that the first trailers were actually nothing like the movie, so the reshoots were trying to make it match teh "fun" of the trailers.

WB has no idea what its doing... its a shame. This could have been a very unique comic book movie

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:30:43 pm »

It's a DC movie?😀

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 05:05:00 pm »
Saw this film twice. Not as bad as the critics say. It does have problems for sure but still the idea that its the worst comic book film or one of the worst films is crazy.

Offline CKW

• View Profile
    • blackpantherfanstories.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 07:31:54 am »
The movie started off disjointed but became enjoyable as it progressed.

Amanda Waller stood out for me because that character is one evil (watch your mouth).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 07:38:07 am by CKW »

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 03:19:31 pm »
I haven't seen it yet but a friend whose opinion I trust says it has the same pacing problems as BvS but that's about it, its otherwise enjoyable and fun.

I'll make it a point to catch it before it leaves theaters.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 05:16:58 am »

APEXABYSS

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 09:49:16 am »

It's a DC movie?😀

Yep, checked out SS Saturday night. Uh... it was alright. I honestly thought it was gonna be like “The Watchmen.” It was nothing like The Watchmen.  DC made Watchmen a meal but made SS fast-food. Pardon my villainous tastes. You can count on a sequel (just to get it right) or a “Joker” movie. I mentioned a Joker film years ago. Platinum grill? Anywhu,... Go see it! You decide!

Rorschach: “None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!”

I can’t remember many quotables from SS. Still, enough highlights to enjoy the film. Diablo? The brother & sister duo reminded me of a BP & Shuri tag team. I grow weary of minion armies randomly used for action & a body count.

After the show, we went back to my cousin’s new apartment & played Mortal Combat. Mortal Combat was better. The trash talking between us was even better.  “That ni@@a got on some dyke flip flops!” Whu…huh?

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 12:14:42 am »
I had a good time.  My kids had an even better time.  No, it's not in WINTER SOLDIER/BATMAN BEGINS territory, but certainly better than the reviews indicate.  It is top five for my kids though. 

Will Smith is great in the movie.  A real return to form for him, and I'm happy about that.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 11:28:14 am »
I haven't seen it yet.  I'm still torn.  I wanted Will to be a hero in the DC Universe, John Stewart!  Alas, it won't happen.  Also, due to corporate culture, I'm sure he won't be a Marvel character anytime soon (Blue Marvel!  Okay, get Denzel!).

I guess a Deadshot film isn't out of the question, a prequel film or a sequel from here.  Just set him against some people who are "worse" than him, even though I'm sure he's killed some "good" folks in the past.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 09:01:36 pm »
I haven't seen it yet.  I'm still torn.  I wanted Will to be a hero in the DC Universe, John Stewart!  Alas, it won't happen.  Also, due to corporate culture, I'm sure he won't be a Marvel character anytime soon (Blue Marvel!  Okay, get Denzel!).

I guess a Deadshot film isn't out of the question, a prequel film or a sequel from here.  Just set him against some people who are "worse" than him, even though I'm sure he's killed some "good" folks in the past.
I always thought Will should be John Stewart.  I hope they offered him the part over and over and over again. 

But he could still be a Marvel character at some point.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 05:07:18 pm »
I agree about Will for John Stewart. I wish Will or DC/WB had arrived at having Smith star as Stewart as GL several years ago. I mean we might be three movies in by now and Stewart's profile would be so upped in the comics and perhaps more importantly across the mainstream.

Someone had suggested a Deadshot movie. I don't see that happening though I would be down for it; Smith was one of the best things about the film, I was surprised because I thought he was going to be more of supporting player propping up Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn. The box office isn't great for Suicide Squad so I can't see them doing a solo film for him. It would be cool though if DC did one-shot short films like Marvel has done so that maybe we could see more of Deadshot and how he became an assassin. Also I wouldn't mind seeing that for other members as well. I'm surprised DC didn't do tie-in comics for the film doing something like that.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 08:36:52 pm »
Suicide Squad was NOWHERE near as bad as I had been led to believe.

The main problem is the villain.

The other problem is that they have commited to DC debuting Batman foes
and such before Batman ever gets a movie.

So every time they interduce a new character they have to have DCU guidebook
entry scene where they explain who these characters are.

And everything stops dead.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 11:16:40 pm »
There's also a humor problem in the DCCU.  Marvel can have a fun time in the films while maintaining serious stakes.  Deadpool went even further.