Author Topic: Suicide Squad is Getting Ripped Apart  (Read 14460 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: Suicide Squad is Getting Ripped Apart
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 05:39:26 pm »
Viola Davis as Waller needs to return in each of these films.  She needs to be in the Nick Fury role.
I just wish that her portrayal wasn't as viciously amoral as was depicted in the film.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 05:01:49 am »
Viola Davis as Waller needs to return in each of these films.  She needs to be in the Nick Fury role.
I just wish that her portrayal wasn't as viciously amoral as was depicted in the film.

She was consistent with other portrayls of "high level government person who does whats necessary to protect the country" portrayals.

It really didn't go "oh damn this woman's mean"
Spoiler (click to reveal)
until she offed those people in the room

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 07:10:25 am »
1st... thanks for the wiki links. I always try to get into DC comics but then fall out of it when they start doing events and cross overs. I simply don't care about enough of the heroes to care about mega events (which is the opposite of Marvel). So I end up just reading Batman and maybe Aquaman.

My issue with WB is that they say they are taking risks and that their movies are "director based" and there is no house style... but the last two movies the WB higher ups went in and edited the hell out of the movie. Oh also... Snyder is a hack when it comes to "deep sh*t"... if he would just focus on making a fun, action oriented comic book movie, and I think he would knock it out of the park bc visually he is a beast. That is why I am still excited about JL because I think he will pull back and just tell a "basic" story without stupid metaphors and analogies that don't work and just focus on good guys punching bad guys with cool action. JL is basically going to be Avengers-ish (alien comes to earth with minions to punch)... so it has to nail the hero to hero interactions and the action (like Avengers) and I thiiiiiink Snyder can do that.

The Trinity does have tons of name recognition... and I think they could have used that to create solos that make just as much as Marvel's movies. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all have a high enough name recognition to make Iron Man 3 money IMO. Especially Batman as he is already a proven commodity. I don't think they needed to rush to Justice League because they solos have so much more potential money wise than Thor, IM, and Captain America did. But even going MoS, The Batman, Wonder Woman, BvS, SS, JL would have been made BvS more coherent without pushing the time line back too far.

Or maybe I am just bitter we missed all of Batman's career lol. Hell, just give me a Batman Universe and I will be happy. I don't want hints or flashbacks to Jason getting crowbared... I want to see it on screen. Instead, we will probably get some Under the Red Hood adaptation that has movie halting flashbacks every 20 minutes because thats what WB loves to do.

I kind of wonder what Warners has against Robin. Seriously.

Seven Batman movies and only two of them actually had Robin in it.
I'm not counting Batman Rises.

I barely even wanna count Batman and Robin. 

You'd think that if even the Arkham City dudes found a way to make Robin work (and the movies take thier cues from the
games "trying too hard to be cool" style) you'd figure the movies would want to try to as well.

But yeah, Suicide Squad came way too early in this DC movie series. 

As it is, it kinda feels like we got Suicide Squad movie footage interrupting the clips from the Batman: Arkham Asyum movie that everybody would have rather seen anyway.

Euro-trash Gangsta/Pimp Joker or no.     

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 03:25:22 pm »
spoilers

--- did Common really have to do this role?  It seems he was kind of wasted.  Yeah, literally.

I agree. If anything he should have played Incubus. Though I was hoping when I first saw him with all those tattoos he would be Tattooed Man.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_Richards_(New_Earth)

Glad though they didn't have him as Bronze Tiger, but if he had been cast as Black Spider I could see that working.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Eric_Needham_(New_Earth)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 10:06:48 am »
I've watched it with my blerd bae and we both liked it more than we thought. I had a good time and I won my bet with my lady so it was a good weekend for me.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2016, 09:04:18 pm »
1st... thanks for the wiki links. I always try to get into DC comics but then fall out of it when they start doing events and cross overs. I simply don't care about enough of the heroes to care about mega events (which is the opposite of Marvel). So I end up just reading Batman and maybe Aquaman.

My issue with WB is that they say they are taking risks and that their movies are "director based" and there is no house style... but the last two movies the WB higher ups went in and edited the hell out of the movie. Oh also... Snyder is a hack when it comes to "deep sh*t"... if he would just focus on making a fun, action oriented comic book movie, and I think he would knock it out of the park bc visually he is a beast. That is why I am still excited about JL because I think he will pull back and just tell a "basic" story without stupid metaphors and analogies that don't work and just focus on good guys punching bad guys with cool action. JL is basically going to be Avengers-ish (alien comes to earth with minions to punch)... so it has to nail the hero to hero interactions and the action (like Avengers) and I thiiiiiink Snyder can do that.

The Trinity does have tons of name recognition... and I think they could have used that to create solos that make just as much as Marvel's movies. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all have a high enough name recognition to make Iron Man 3 money IMO. Especially Batman as he is already a proven commodity. I don't think they needed to rush to Justice League because they solos have so much more potential money wise than Thor, IM, and Captain America did. But even going MoS, The Batman, Wonder Woman, BvS, SS, JL would have been made BvS more coherent without pushing the time line back too far.

Or maybe I am just bitter we missed all of Batman's career lol. Hell, just give me a Batman Universe and I will be happy. I don't want hints or flashbacks to Jason getting crowbared... I want to see it on screen. Instead, we will probably get some Under the Red Hood adaptation that has movie halting flashbacks every 20 minutes because thats what WB loves to do.

I kind of wonder what Warners has against Robin. Seriously.

Seven Batman movies and only two of them actually had Robin in it.
I'm not counting Batman Rises.

I barely even wanna count Batman and Robin. 

You'd think that if even the Arkham City dudes found a way to make Robin work (and the movies take thier cues from the
games "trying too hard to be cool" style) you'd figure the movies would want to try to as well.

But yeah, Suicide Squad came way too early in this DC movie series. 

As it is, it kinda feels like we got Suicide Squad movie footage interrupting the clips from the Batman: Arkham Asyum movie that everybody would have rather seen anyway.

Euro-trash Gangsta/Pimp Joker or no.     

I liked Leto's Joker, he was White Lil Wayne and cool as the other side of the pillow. Saw him with the cane and said "that's a m#thaf#@%ing pimp!".

The soundtrack made the movie for me though, the only thing I hated was "Guess Who's Back" cause I despise eminem. The songs in GotG weren't moldy either, good music doesn't have a shelf life.

Offline mayday

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2016, 05:12:35 am »
I just saw it last night and the whole thing with
**spoiler alert**

Killer croc...."shawty" and BET (WTHF). Since I'm not deep into DC, when did Croc become a black man ? They went waaay out of their way to let you know that this pathetic creature could only be a black person. (LAME just like cyborg the eunuch) That ish made my skin crawl. Once again, I am overjoyed that my hard earned coin didn't pay for this. Free movie tickets from da plug.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 01:20:10 am »
Mayday,

I think Croc has been black for a long time; though I'm not sure the character was originally conceived to be that way. But he's been black in the comics for quite some time now. It's just with his condition you can't tell that, but they might do a flashback sometimes before the condition worsened and he's black.

I do agree with you that his depiction was over the top and stereotypical, with the most outwardly bestial character being a black person, a black male in particular, but I didn't trip on it because Will Smith and Viola Davis were in the film to counter it. If they hadn't been in the film and it was just Croc I would've been more upset about it. Nothing against the actor and the makeup, but the depiction was too broad.

I also think Diablo's depiction, while not as broad, could be problematic as well. It's just his arc by the end of it, and the actor, helped elevate that character. Someone better versed on Asian stereotypes could probably pick up on Katana as well now that I think about it. The Native American actor playing Slipknot was only in the film for about five minutes, as if not worth even giving more than only handful of dialogue.

So outside of Davis and Smith, non-white characters were poorly developed and perhaps the director went to short hand, stereotypical ideas that he felt the audience might be familiar with in lieu of real character development.

In comparison I thought Flag, Enchantress, and definitely Harley and Joker got a bit more screen time and/or development. Captain Boomerang is the main white character that got short shrift.

That Cyborg as a eunuch thing bothers me as well. Even in brother David F. Walker's short Cyborg run Vince seemed more interested in an old highschool football rival than in returning the attention one of the fine scientists at STAR Labs was giving him. I didn't care for that. To be fair, I haven't read all of Walker's run so maybe he corrected that oversight before he left the book.