Author Topic: Zendaya's character in Spider-Man Homecoming  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Zendaya's character in Spider-Man Homecoming
« on: August 18, 2016, 05:45:45 pm »
Allegedly!!!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/spider-man-homecoming-zendaya-role?utm_campaign=report-zendayas-spider-man-homecoming-character-revealed&utm_medium=internal_links&utm_source=breaking_banner

heh-heh-heh-heh... classic.. the internet shatters again.. whooo.......

At last, creatives at the studio have been informed by the vision I've been saying they should have for years.  See beyond the boxes, beyond what conventional sentiments say about the boxes. Don't depend on the conservative, nitpicky social bubbles of Hollywoodland.  Multicultural inclusion rears its beautiful head and it continues to hunger...

With Miles and new-movie MJ, the mythology continues to evolve.. why not?

Prez Obama & Michelle will be blamed-- and indeed, they deserve co-credit for accelerating the normalizing of seeing brown in heretofore unseen quarters...

Truly, kismet...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:59:18 pm by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
Re: Zendaya's character in Spider-Man Homecoming
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 06:15:21 pm »
Oh sweet jesus not again

Is MJ being a red head apart of her character in any dignificant way?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 06:22:57 pm »
Oh sweet jesus not again

It's auburn!!   ;D
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Friends of the JLI
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 07:31:55 pm »
Oh sweet jesus not again

Visually, it's the number one thing that comes to mind when I think about MJ.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 04:43:01 am »
Oh sweet jesus not again

I imagine they will dye it?

I think she fits the part better Dunst does despite the race switch because MJ is supposed to be "super model" attractive right? Dunst has more of that... girl next door homely look IMO

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 08:08:45 am »
Oh sweet jesus not again

Zendaya's been a redhead before.

Nothing in the absolutist fanboy guidebook ever said that Mary Jane had to be a NATURAL Redhead.

By that reasoning, Scarlett Johansson shouldn't play Black Widow then.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 07:47:06 am »
Oh sweet jesus not again

Zendaya's been a redhead before.

Nothing in the absolutist fanboy guidebook ever said that Mary Jane had to be a NATURAL Redhead.

By that reasoning, Scarlett Johansson shouldn't play Black Widow then.
Exactly.  The main requirement for being Mary Jane is a super hot chick with a fun personality.  That is Zendaya!

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 05:39:42 am »
Don't throw tomatoes but I hate this ish.

Honestly I think they do this type of casting in hopes that it will cause controversy and garner free publicity for their project, while at the same time create a new generation of racists birthed by the backlash. Sure on the surface it's supposed to be progressive, color blind and forward leaning but the cynic in me can't help but think there's a sinister motive underneath it all.

I'm aware change is often incremental and you have to lead people toward progress, but it seems like they're unnecessarily poking a sleeping bear.  There's no need to hit people over the head with an agenda, it backfires.

And why is this always done with comic book characters? Why not race bend literary figures or established film franchises? Go big or go home, if you want to impress me make James Bond or Captain Kirk Black.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 06:40:11 am »
Don't throw tomatoes but I hate this ish.

Honestly I think they do this type of casting in hopes that it will cause controversy and garner free publicity for their project, while at the same time create a new generation of racists birthed by the backlash. Sure on the surface it's supposed to be progressive, color blind and forward leaning but the cynic in me can't help but think there's a sinister motive underneath it all.

I'm aware change is often incremental and you have to lead people toward progress, but it seems like they're unnecessarily poking a sleeping bear.  There's no need to hit people over the head with an agenda, it backfires.

And why is this always done with comic book characters? Why not race bend literary figures or established film franchises? Go big or go home, if you want to impress me make James Bond or Captain Kirk Black.

If they don't race bend, the entire cast of spider-man would be white white white white white. Peter's white, Aunt May's white, his love interests are white, his popular villains are white, Flash is white...

so... is that better?

The other option is use some obscure love interests or some obscure villains but then you draw the hate of "where is Mary Jane! Where is Osborn!" instead.

Re: Why Comic Books... maybe they actually have people behind them that care? Or they are trying to target a different audience for the almighty $$$$

And once again... this is a side character love interest that got race bent. Not Parker. Not Aunt May. Not the lead villain (Vulture). It is just one supporting character here whose defining characteristic is "hot, fun, sassy"

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 09:27:45 am »
I feel you bruh, you're right about the all white Spiderman so why can't we have the Miles Morales version?

I grew up on Todd McFarlane's Mary Jane and there the operative word was "hot". She was all body, big red hair and dimples, the sex bomb model you couldn't believe Peter Parker could pull, but somehow he did.

When I think of Zendaya I think "sweet Disney princess straight up, straight down, miss 6 o'clock" she's perky and talented but she aint hot. I just googled "Zendaya sexy" but none of the pics really were. If they wanted hot and diverse Disney princess Selena Gomez fits that bill.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 10:24:02 am »
I feel you bruh, you're right about the all white Spiderman so why can't we have the Miles Morales version?

I grew up on Todd McFarlane's Mary Jane and there the operative word was "hot". She was all body, big red hair and dimples, the sex bomb model you couldn't believe Peter Parker could pull, but somehow he did.

When I think of Zendaya I think "sweet Disney princess straight up, straight down, miss 6 o'clock" she's perky and talented but she aint hot. I just googled "Zendaya sexy" but none of the pics really were. If they wanted hot and diverse Disney princess Selena Gomez fits that bill.

Need peter to do Miles. Setting Peter in HS takes away that option.

Otherwise id love a miles movie.

Prolly aint finding much on Zendaya bc shes like 19 right?

Plus, once again, playing HS kids. Cant be "all body" if ur playing a 16 year old.

And all comic woman are all body lol.