Author Topic: The Moral dilemna of Columbus Day  (Read 20971 times)

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
Re: The Moral dilemna of Columbus Day
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2009, 09:40:03 pm »
Not in this case. 

...insulting condescending attack mode...

...and you (unless you are deaf, dumb and blind) know it...

The label "moderator" is, sadly, a bit of a joke.

Godheval - Writer, Philosopher, Dreamer, Idealist
http://www.godheval.net

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2009, 10:01:17 am »
I'm sorry I have to disagree completely regarding the "age appropriate"

I remember looking at an episode on the chipmunks where simon set that sh*t straight.
Simons says! LOL.

I was 7 and I still remember it and it took me a while but I have found it. Have you niece look at this.

Alvin: "Columbus Land!!!"
Natives: "columbus land?" "This not columbus land, this is the home of the braves?"
skip a long dialogue about t-shirts and we go to the important part

Alvin: "i made these for all you indians"
Natives: with a WTF look "Indians?"
Alvin: "i've discovered a short cut to the east indies"
Natives: "hmmmmmmmmmmm sorry chris but you missed east indies by long shot"

Yes they may not have completely went into detail and a couple of times it was slightly off (regarding thanksgiving)  but at least they hinted on what really happened. Alvin character was the perfect person to represent that moron.

aaaaaand simon once again set that sh*t straight on whom actually found it and where the name came. I am beyond shocked that our education system is still teaching these kids this.

the rest of the episode

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:12:00 am by akumatrunigga »
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2009, 12:27:48 pm »
I watched that Alvin and the Chipmunks clip, hoping to have my mind blown, but...it was actually pretty underwhelming.  Acknowledging that Columbus was a doof for missing India by 12,000 miles and that the land belonged to the natives isn't much more than what the history textbooks say.  The "moral dilemma" here is whether or not to tell kids that this "brave fool" was actually a murderer, rapist, and slaver.  The Chipmunks weren't about to touch that.

And that's a shame, because if Captain Planet can go up against Hitler (mind you, nothing about the Holocaust was mentioned, though), then it suggests that a cartoon can offer more than a furtive glance at history. Then again, Captain Planet was well ahead of the game - talking about environmental problems 20 years before it became popular, featuring a multi-ethnic cast, and making "God" a woman, and ethnically ambiguous (and voiced by an African-American woman).

The more I think about this, the more I think that it is okay to tell kids the full truth.  You just don't have to be explicit in the details.  That is, you can mention that Columbus killed and stole and enslaved, but you might want to leave out the bit about cutting off children's heads and raping - since the sex talk is a prerequisite, and that's bound to be a ways off.  But by at least creating a more accurate framework, you can fill in those details later, and it won't be such a shock. 

"Oh, you mean the murderous guy was ALSO a rapist?  That figures."

Offline Godheval

• Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Godheval.net
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2009, 03:00:27 am »
Kids Study the Dark Side of Columbus
http://news.aol.com/article/students-learn-about-the-dark-side-of/712947

In McDonald, Pa., 30 miles southwest of Pittsburgh, fourth-grade students at Fort Cherry Elementary put Columbus on trial this year charging him with misrepresenting the Spanish crown and thievery. They found him guilty and sentenced him to life in prison.

"In their own verbiage, he was a bad guy," teacher Laurie Crawford said.

Jenn

« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2009, 07:21:37 pm »
Would've loved to have been there to hear that. Damn, he got life & I bet they never even got to the whole rape-and-pillage part.

In Texas, students start learning in the fifth grade about the "Columbian Exchange" which consisted not only of gold, crops and goods shipped back and forth across the Atlantic Ocean, but diseases carried by settlers that decimated native populations.

I see Texas is still full of fail.

She examined 62 picture books, and found the majority were outdated and contained inaccurate and sometimes outright demeaning depictions of the native Taino population.

I happened to have been doing library duty at a fairly posh, majority white school around Columbus Day, and the books there were so ridiculous that I was trying to snap pictures on my phone.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 07:24:36 pm by Jenn »

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2009, 07:31:35 pm »
Would've loved to have been there to hear that. Damn, he got life & I bet they never even got to the whole rape-and-pillage part.

In Texas, students start learning in the fifth grade about the "Columbian Exchange" which consisted not only of gold, crops and goods shipped back and forth across the Atlantic Ocean, but diseases carried by settlers that decimated native populations.

I see Texas is still full of fail.

She examined 62 picture books, and found the majority were outdated and contained inaccurate and sometimes outright demeaning depictions of the native Taino population.

I happened to have been doing library duty at a fairly posh, majority white school around Columbus Day, and the books there were so ridiculous that I was trying to snap pictures on my phone.

No pics.

How is the expose supposed to happen with no photos?

Jenn

« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2009, 08:12:11 pm »
I dunno. Maybe I should ask...YER MOM!!!!!

:P

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2009, 10:27:55 pm »
I dunno. Maybe I should ask...YER MOM!!!!!

:P

Hahaahaha

I'll see you soon,Jenn,

Ill see you soon! 8)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2020, 07:01:20 pm »
Sunday, 28th June 2o2o
Colorado will replace Columbus Day with Cabrini Day
by Alisha Ebrahimji

Colorado passed legislation Tuesday to replace Columbus Day with Cabrini Day because bill sponsors say it doesn't represent their community members.

The first Monday of October will now honor Frances Xavier Cabrini, who according to the bill, is the woman responsible for creating 67 schools, hospitals, and orphanages in the United States and South and Central America throughout her lifetime.

Senator Chris Hansen, one of the bill's sponsors, told CNN that Cabrini is a local Colorado hero because of the work that she did.

Chicago and New York join Colorado in honoring Cabrini with a shrine dedicated to her, Representative Adrienne Benavidez, another one of the bill's sponsors, told CNN.

"We need holidays to recognize the contributions of women across history," Hansen said.

Benavidez said Cabrini Day would be the first paid state holiday recognizing a woman in the US.

There are some holidays dedicated to other prominent women throughout history like Rosa Parks and Susan B. Anthony, but those are days of recognition, not paid state holidays, according to Benavidez.

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/us/colorado-columbus-day-cabrini-day-trnd/index.html