Author Topic: THE CRITIC WHO CONVINCED ME THAT CRITICISM COULD BE ART  (Read 347 times)

Offline imchills

• Assistant
    • View Profile
THE CRITIC WHO CONVINCED ME THAT CRITICISM COULD BE ART
« on: September 21, 2016, 02:51:16 pm »
Greg Tate published his first book, a collection of essays titled “Flyboy in the Buttermilk,” in 1992. It drew from his work at the Village Voice, where he had initially been hired, in the late eighties, to help the alternative weekly cover black music. As he would wryly note years later, the opportunity was born of the paper’s unusual belief that “Afro-diasporic musics should on occasion be covered by people who weren’t strangers to those communities.” At the Voice, Tate became known for the slangy erudition he brought to bear on a range of topics, not just hip-hop and jazz but also science fiction, literary theory, movies, city politics, and police brutality. His best paragraphs throbbed like a party and chattered like a salon; they were stylishly jam-packed with names and reference points that shouldn’t have got along but did, a trans-everything collision of pop stars, filmmakers, subterranean graffiti artists, Ivory Tower theorists, and Tate’s personal buddies, who often came across as the wisest of the bunch.

Read more at http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-critic-who-convinced-me-that-criticism-could-be-art