Author Topic: Black Panther #WORLD WAR WAKANDA - Prelude to War  (Read 15454 times)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Between the World and Wakanda
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 12:20:29 pm »
Gotta say im digging the necropolis look

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 06:13:01 pm »
A mere week away...

Black Panther: World of Wakanda #1

(W) Ta-Nehisi Coates, Roxane Gay, Yona Harvey (A) Alitha Martinez, Afua Richardson (CA) Skottie Young

"YOU DESERVED SO MUCH MORE, LITTLE FLOWER. YOU DESERVED A WAKANDA THAT CHERISHED YOU."

Writer ROXANE GAY (Bad Feminist, Hunger) spins a Wakandan love story - its tenderness matched only by its brutality. You know them now as The Midnight Angels, but in this story they are just Ayo and Aneka, young women recruited to become Dora Milaje, an elite task force trained to protect the crown at all costs. What happens when your nation needs your hearts and minds, but you already gave them to each other? Illustrated by industry veteran ALITHA E. MARTINEZ (Iron Man, Black Panther).

And in a special backup story, acclaimed poet YONA HARVEY (Hemming the Water) explores the true origins of The People's mysterious leader Zenzi. Black Panther thinks he knows who Zenzi is and how she got her powers, but he only knows part of the story... Illustrated by rising star AFUA RICHARDSON (Genius).

Rated T
In Shops: Nov 09, 2016
SRP: $4.99
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/10/19/exclusive-marvel-first-look-black-panther-world-of-wakanda-1-sko/

The descent of the Black Panther may reach a new depth.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 05:11:40 am »
Interested in Zenzi' story (so bizarre doing a villain origin in another book though? lol)

Scared to deeath with whatever Gay has cooked up

"deserved a Wakanda that cherished you"

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 08:14:07 am »
Looks like World of Wakanda will initially be 6 issues. The first arc will conclude in time for the start of season 2.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Panther-Wakanda-Midnight-Angels/dp/130290650X/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1478099057&sr=8-9&keywords=black+panther+ta-nehisi+coates

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 10:40:14 am »
Yea i fear for whats about to happen. Especially since this is happening During Hickman's run. I wonder what new lows they are gonna take T'challa too. That quote though pisses me off because the whole "Issue" with the MA and what they are going though is fabricated.... Poorly just to set up this book which will probably just be more shots at T'Challa and black men. instead of Expanding the Mythos into something more akin to Batman and Spidey's mythos, being able to have multiple books out, but instead of tying the world together and making Bp and Wakanda its own sandbox (if you felt like it) its instead looking like its going to pit Men vs Women with Men being the monsters women must overcome. Which is stupid and sets the mythos backwards for what reason? To push an agenda that wasn't an issue? To take shots at black men? Things had already moved forward and now its being brought up for some false narrative and Coates is pushing it further by changing T'Challa's established traits to make it fit

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 04:30:57 pm »
Roxane Gay details her new Marvel comic, World of Wakanda

BY NIVEA SERRAO

With Marvel’s Black Panther series debuting to critical acclaim, it only made sense that the comic book company would turn to its just-as-acclaimed writer, Ta-Nehisi Coates, for suggestions of potential writers to helm a spinoff series focusing on King T’Challa’s native land of Wakanda. Coates’ suggestion? None other than fellow bestselling writer, Roxane Gay. Now Gay, along with poet Yona Harvey, make Marvel history as the first black women to write for Marvel. In their series, World of Wakanda, Gay tells tales of the Dora Milaje, the Wakandan royal family’s elite all-women fighting guard, while Harvey focuses on female revolutionary Zenzi, who fights for her country’s rights.

“Historically, the Dora Milaje have served the Black Panther loyally and without question,” says Gay of Wakanda’s political climate when the series kicks off. “But because of a series of events that culminate in the current arc of Black Panther, the Dora Milaje are questioning their loyalty and their mission. World of Wakanda looks at how this evolution rises.” With World of Wakanda about to kick off on Nov. 9, EW caught up with Gay to discuss writing her first comic, her storytelling influences, and who she’d like to see pen their own comic.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Everyone has some idea of what they’d like to see in a superhero comic. What did you want to do when Ta-Nehisi Coates first pitched you writing this series?

GAY: When Ta-Nehisi first approached me, I just knew that I wanted to write fierce women who could be as intimidating as they are intriguing. So far, I have been able to bring these characteristics into the women I am writing for World of Wakanda. Things are about to get really interesting as I work on the third issue so I am looking forward to that.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Readers may not be familiar with Black Panther. Was that something you were considering as you approached writing this series?

GAY It wasn’t my first consideration because for the most part, World of Wakanda can stand on its own. That said, I have had to think carefully about continuity within the Marvel universe, so I’ve tried to write into each issue what readers unfamiliar with Black Panther will need to know to fully appreciate the story I am telling.

Writing comics is a very collaborative process. How has working with [artist] Alitha E. Martinez affected your storytelling?

Writing comics has forced me to think about storytelling in a much more fine-tuned manner. I also think a lot about how my ideas are going to look on the page. Every time I see Alitha’s art, I am just thrilled with how she takes my words and then adds her own interpretation. It’s unlike anything I’ve done before.

Your story in World of Wakanda focuses on Ayo and Aneka, two former Dora Milaje, as well as on their relationship. What were you most excited about when delving into them as characters, and as a couple?

I was just so excited to write black queer women into the Marvel Universe, and to write women who are lethal? That’s even better.

What is it about the Dora Milaje that speaks to you as a writer?

I love the idea of an elite unit of bodyguards comprised entirely of women who can take care of themselves and the people they are assigned to protect. It’s such a compelling role reversal.

As a fan of pop culture in general, were there any non-comics works  (shows/movies/music) that influenced or inspired you?

I have definitely thought a lot about Olivia Pope in season 1 of Scandal and the original USA version of La Femme Nikita. 

Now that you’ve started writing comics, have you been reading more of them? Are there any series you’re a big fan of?

Absolutely. I wanted to read comics to get a more contemporary sense of the genre. I am loving Saga, and of course, Black Panther and I am about to dive into Sex Criminals.

Since Ta-Nehisi Coates suggested you as a writer for World of Wakanda, who are some writers you’d like to see take a Marvel comic series of their own?

I’d love to see the writer xTx take on a comic book series. She has a dark, engrossing and cinematic style that would lend itself well to the medium. Lily Hoang would write one hell of a comic and also, Morgan Parker, Saeed Jones, Karolina Waclawiak and Carmen Machado also come to mind.

Black Panther: World of Wakanda is currently available for pre-order and hits shelves Nov. 9.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/02/roxane-gay-world-wakanda-marvel

In her words a Black Panther comic about black queer women that doesn't need the Black Panther.

All the more reason to quote myself...

BLACK PANTHER... A THIRD TITLE

It would be great if with the movie we get a third comic book that can retell the Black Panther from the beginning. A telling that highlights everything good about Black Panther and Wakanda while avoiding the missteps, inconsistencies, character assassinations and lackluster off panel action. Imagine a retelling that squarely focuses on T'challa and his greatness. Yea that's what we need a third title and a fresh start. This could be one of the true benefits of the high selling Coatesverse Panther and Gay World of Wakanda (if in fact it sells well too) and a blockbuster movie.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 08:23:20 pm »
Roxane Gay details her new Marvel comic, World of Wakanda

BY NIVEA SERRAO

With Marvel’s Black Panther series debuting to critical acclaim, it only made sense that the comic book company would turn to its just-as-acclaimed writer, Ta-Nehisi Coates, for suggestions of potential writers to helm a spinoff series focusing on King T’Challa’s native land of Wakanda. Coates’ suggestion? None other than fellow bestselling writer, Roxane Gay. Now Gay, along with poet Yona Harvey, make Marvel history as the first black women to write for Marvel. In their series, World of Wakanda, Gay tells tales of the Dora Milaje, the Wakandan royal family’s elite all-women fighting guard, while Harvey focuses on female revolutionary Zenzi, who fights for her country’s rights.

“Historically, the Dora Milaje have served the Black Panther loyally and without question,” says Gay of Wakanda’s political climate when the series kicks off. “But because of a series of events that culminate in the current arc of Black Panther, the Dora Milaje are questioning their loyalty and their mission. World of Wakanda looks at how this evolution rises.” With World of Wakanda about to kick off on Nov. 9, EW caught up with Gay to discuss writing her first comic, her storytelling influences, and who she’d like to see pen their own comic.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Everyone has some idea of what they’d like to see in a superhero comic. What did you want to do when Ta-Nehisi Coates first pitched you writing this series?

GAY: When Ta-Nehisi first approached me, I just knew that I wanted to write fierce women who could be as intimidating as they are intriguing. So far, I have been able to bring these characteristics into the women I am writing for World of Wakanda. Things are about to get really interesting as I work on the third issue so I am looking forward to that.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Readers may not be familiar with Black Panther. Was that something you were considering as you approached writing this series?

GAY It wasn’t my first consideration because for the most part, World of Wakanda can stand on its own. That said, I have had to think carefully about continuity within the Marvel universe, so I’ve tried to write into each issue what readers unfamiliar with Black Panther will need to know to fully appreciate the story I am telling.

Writing comics is a very collaborative process. How has working with [artist] Alitha E. Martinez affected your storytelling?

Writing comics has forced me to think about storytelling in a much more fine-tuned manner. I also think a lot about how my ideas are going to look on the page. Every time I see Alitha’s art, I am just thrilled with how she takes my words and then adds her own interpretation. It’s unlike anything I’ve done before.

Your story in World of Wakanda focuses on Ayo and Aneka, two former Dora Milaje, as well as on their relationship. What were you most excited about when delving into them as characters, and as a couple?

I was just so excited to write black queer women into the Marvel Universe, and to write women who are lethal? That’s even better.

What is it about the Dora Milaje that speaks to you as a writer?

I love the idea of an elite unit of bodyguards comprised entirely of women who can take care of themselves and the people they are assigned to protect. It’s such a compelling role reversal.

As a fan of pop culture in general, were there any non-comics works  (shows/movies/music) that influenced or inspired you?

I have definitely thought a lot about Olivia Pope in season 1 of Scandal and the original USA version of La Femme Nikita. 

Now that you’ve started writing comics, have you been reading more of them? Are there any series you’re a big fan of?

Absolutely. I wanted to read comics to get a more contemporary sense of the genre. I am loving Saga, and of course, Black Panther and I am about to dive into Sex Criminals.

Since Ta-Nehisi Coates suggested you as a writer for World of Wakanda, who are some writers you’d like to see take a Marvel comic series of their own?

I’d love to see the writer xTx take on a comic book series. She has a dark, engrossing and cinematic style that would lend itself well to the medium. Lily Hoang would write one hell of a comic and also, Morgan Parker, Saeed Jones, Karolina Waclawiak and Carmen Machado also come to mind.

Black Panther: World of Wakanda is currently available for pre-order and hits shelves Nov. 9.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/02/roxane-gay-world-wakanda-marvel

In her words a Black Panther comic about black queer women that doesn't need the Black Panther.

All the more reason to quote myself...

BLACK PANTHER... A THIRD TITLE

It would be great if with the movie we get a third comic book that can retell the Black Panther from the beginning. A telling that highlights everything good about Black Panther and Wakanda while avoiding the missteps, inconsistencies, character assassinations and lackluster off panel action. Imagine a retelling that squarely focuses on T'challa and his greatness. Yea that's what we need a third title and a fresh start. This could be one of the true benefits of the high selling Coatesverse Panther and Gay World of Wakanda (if in fact it sells well too) and a blockbuster movie.

With my combat expertise, I can write a rollickin BP if I found a artist that knew how to convey the fight scenes, acrobatics, etc in combo with the meditative, Afrikan natural scenes, Wakandan super science and mega magic scenes. And of course...the emotional face expressions and sexy/sexual scenes...

...but seriously. I think I can write a very good. Very powerful. Very action packed BP with lots of innovative applications of tech, magic, fight scenes, a total upgrade of his original Rogues' Gallery, a return of Achebe, and a lot more that should be done. I mean come on...Hunter is no sucka. He would NOT be off the grid for this long.

And Brother Voodoo would be a welcome addition to my BP. What with sheisty Zawaviri and Mendinao being noble but largely on his Watcher mode [ "I watch, I do not intervene" ] unless someone's trying to mess with the HSH? We need a Brother Voodoo around to slang the magicks plus be something other than the Black second rate Doctor Strange. In Afrika? Brother Voodoo would be UBANGIJI Vodun...LORD Vodun. Or if we gotta keep the DOCTOR title....aight. Don't like it. That's way more in the "witch DOCTOR" tradition than anything else.

RH had it right...write?...with having Blade ride with TChalla for a minute, too. When Somberr, the Zombie King [ new and improved..well, a lotta improvement anyway ] under my pen comes around? Doctor Voodoo could and would crush it. Sure TChalla has spanked him and would spank him solo, but...a good look would be Doctor Voodoo pimp slappin him too.

Lord Karnaj, Achebe, Hunter, etc etc comes to town? TChalla could spank all them heads solo, but having Blade around is a major help.

Basically? Take a good look at TChalla's old Rogues' Gallery and superhcharge them all.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/fajarherwandhan/lists/28-black-panther-rogues-gallery/54536/

Moses Magnum. Baron Macabre. King Cadaver. The Dragon Circle. Colonel Fritz Klaue. Hellrazor. Madam Slay. Etc. All of em could be crazy ill if they had a major upgrade. They could each be major players in the MU as a whole...if given the kind of menace and upgrade and modernization that Priest gave to Mbaku [ a dude who I thought I would NEEEEEVEEER like ].
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:30:32 pm by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 09:20:07 pm »
With my combat expertise, I can write a rollickin BP if I found a artist that knew how to convey the fight scenes, acrobatics, etc in combo with the meditative, Afrikan natural scenes, Wakandan super science and mega magic scenes. And of course...the emotional face expressions and sexy/sexual scenes...

...but seriously. I think I can write a very good. Very powerful. Very action packed BP with lots of innovative applications of tech, magic, fight scenes, a total upgrade of his original Rogues' Gallery, a return of Achebe, and a lot more that should be done. I mean come on...Hunter is no sucka. He would NOT be off the grid for this long.

And Brother Voodoo would be a welcome addition to my BP. What with sheisty Zawaviri and Mendinao being noble but largely on his Watcher mode [ "I watch, I do not intervene" ] unless someone's trying to mess with the HSH? We need a Brother Voodoo around to slang the magicks plus be something other than the Black second rate Doctor Strange. In Afrika? Brother Voodoo would be UBANGIJI Vodun...LORD Vodun. Or if we gotta keep the DOCTOR title....aight. Don't like it. That's way more in the "witch DOCTOR" tradition than anything else.

RH had it right...write?...with having Blade ride with TChalla for a minute, too. When Somberr, the Zombie King [ new and improved..well, a lotta improvement anyway ] under my pen comes around? Doctor Voodoo could and would crush it. Sure TChalla has spanked him and would spank him solo, but...a good look would be Doctor Voodoo pimp slappin him too.

Lord Karnaj, Achebe, Hunter, etc etc comes to town? TChalla could spank all them heads solo, but having Blade around is a major help.

Basically? Take a good look at TChalla's old Rogues' Gallery and superhcharge them all.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/fajarherwandhan/lists/28-black-panther-rogues-gallery/54536/

Moses Magnum. Baron Macabre. King Cadaver. The Dragon Circle. Colonel Fritz Klaue. Hellrazor. Madam Slay. Etc. All of em could be crazy ill if they had a major upgrade. They could each be major players in the MU as a whole...if given the kind of menace and upgrade and modernization that Priest gave to Mbaku [ a dude who I thought I would NEEEEEVEEER like ].

You'd definitely be a step up from Coates.

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 11:26:24 pm »

You'd definitely be a step up from Coates.

Bendis would be a (marginal) step up from Coates. At least he can do fight scenes that don't look like cardboard cutouts, and doesn't try to hide his overall lack of substance with poetry.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 08:43:14 am »
I'd Be done to see what Brother S.I Could weave for Panther Tales. Coates ain't gonna give us what we wanna see

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: Gay's World of Wakanda
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2016, 10:52:50 am »
There is apparently something inherent in the defining mythos of the Black Panther that necessitates a penchant in too many writers to intellectually devalue, physically and technologically dis-empower and culturally corrupt T'Challa and Wakanda. Say what you will but this is done with purpose and intent. Thus I feel there is no real initiative to have a writer explore the full potential of the Black Panther.

For some writer's the block will manifests as base racism or the reaction to such; for others the lack of comprehending an Afracentric (Afrakan centered), autonomous, socially conscious nation that is grounded in historical victories of Afrakan sovereignty; led by an Afrakan king and queen whose values are focused on family and the advancement and protection of their people.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2016, 01:50:14 pm »
That was posted yesterday A.C. See what happens when stop attending meetings.

Offline A.Curry

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2016, 09:01:55 pm »
That was posted yesterday A.C. See what happens when stop attending meetings.

HA!

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 12:50:39 pm »
Preview of BP:WoW #1.