Author Topic: Black Panther's Agents of Wakanda  (Read 103819 times)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Gay's World of Wakanda
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2017, 11:30:27 am »
The final issue of Roxane Gay's Black Panther World of Wakanda

Yep BP WOW has been a cringe fest, littered with Extremely biased agenda's and opinions, a poor representation of Wakanda and Wakandan men, Poor excuses for why T'challa hasn't already been handling this mess, terrible dialogue, terrible art, terrible writer, and all our stupid story that barely filed in any of the gaps between AvX till now, and the areas they did decide to touch on, where butchered and really show just how terrrible Gay is at writing comics and why she didn't deserve to be on the book. Ignoring Continuity in order to get your forced narrative out is not the way to handle Black Panther. I seriously hope the Mythos gets some REAL talent to come in here and clean up the mess Gay and Coates have made.. Soon

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2017, 02:16:45 pm »
You know... These books would be more acceptable is they created another African Nation lead by the Golden Lion and his sister.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2017, 03:12:27 pm »
I think that is a sentiment a lot of BP fans have. We're not saying he is a bad writer, but he is defiantly a bad BP/Wakanda writer.

Although I think if he was on another book, it would still be boring.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2017, 03:36:15 pm »
Ture,

Loving your Roxanne Gay posts. Are those actual quotes?

And I'm being petty right now but good riddance to World of Wakanda. I didn't buy one issue and I'm glad for that. However I can see Marvel putting Gay on another book to save face and to avoid criticism of letting her go.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2017, 04:21:38 am »
is the book really canceled?  How many issues did it last?

seems like there could be room for the series to continue as a semi-anthology, different writers taking on Wakandan characters at different points in history.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2017, 05:07:59 am »
is the book really canceled?  How many issues did it last?

seems like there could be room for the series to continue as a semi-anthology, different writers taking on Wakandan characters at different points in history.

It is done at #6.

The Midnight Angel Story finished with #5. #6 is a Kasper focused.

Sales were sh*t. Can't continue something if sales are garbage.

Marvel made the mistake thinking they could simply take their new lesbian couple, throw on a lesbian writer + a mix of BP fans who have been begging for a World of Wakanda type book and that would keep sales high enough.

Unfortunately, at least on the "BP Fans" side of things... the book didn't explore the World of Wakanda at all and continued to throw shade at the one character that matters.

And then, the tumblr crowd is never as big as they seem. But really, I don't blame them here, because it was written so atrociously, I wouldn't blame a single soul for dropping the book after one issue. Gay really is one of the worst writers I have ever seen write a marvel comic book.

Online Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2017, 07:39:39 am »
Ture,

Loving your Roxanne Gay posts. Are those actual quotes?

And I'm being petty right now but good riddance to World of Wakanda. I didn't buy one issue and I'm glad for that. However I can see Marvel putting Gay on another book to save face and to avoid criticism of letting her go.

Thank you Emperorjones. Yes. Her actual words I put in quotations and then contextualized them for entertainment purposes.

I don't know for certain if the World of Wakanda is canceled or even if Gay is off the book. I didn't find any solicitations for #7. If Marvel were smart they would get rid of Coates just before the movie release in February. Relaunch the family of titles with Christopher Priest writing the Black Panther solo series; Reginald Hudlin writing The Crew; then have Priest and Hudlin team up to write the World of Wakanda. While they are at it get Warren Ellis to write a Black Panther and Wakanda centered Ultimates. 2018 the year of the real Black Panther!

Marvel should engage a new initiative by hiring true BP enthusiasts as a consulting team to assist in storytelling, research and editorial. I would be open to that so long as the focus would be Afrakan centered futurist concepts interspliced with the logical progression of the character. In addition the events from Deadliest of the Species up to the Coatesverse have to be retconned and rewritten.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Online Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2017, 09:01:51 pm »
BLACK PANTHER #15
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • WILFREDO TORRES (A)
“AVENGERS OF THE NEW WORLD” CONTINUES!
• The gods of Wakanda have forsaken T’Challa and his nation.
• As monsters of might and myth flood our world, the Midnight Angels must act…
• But whose interests do they serve? The crown’s or their own?

BLACK PANTHER AND THE CREW #3
TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • BUTCH GUICE (A)
• When the Black Panther makes it known that he too was an associate of Ezra Miller, the late Harlem community pillar and social activist who died in police custody, the case finds new life.
• Was there more to Miller than he let on? Was his activism a front for something larger?
• One thing’s for certain: What’s happening in Harlem is not new. It stretches back decades. The secret super hero history of the Marvel Universe continues!

ULTIMATES 2 #8
AL EWING (W) • AUD KOCH (A)
COVER BY CHRISTIAN WARD
• Galactus faces the ultimate battle with his oldest enemy — Ego, the Living Planet!
• But if the Devourer of Worlds could never fully defeat the Living Planet — what chance does the Lifebringer have?
• Tell no one about the astonishing ending of this epic issue, True Believer! Some things are too good to spoil!

With solicits like these, can I have my job back?

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2017, 07:28:24 pm »
Courtesy of UltimateTy at CBR:
Quote from: UltimateTy;2695105

https://news.marvel.com/comics/62091/world-wakanda-return-kasper-cole/

So far Given the interview the guy seems to like Kasper atleast and may do some good. The art looks good so far. I wonder if he will pull a Yona, Do well for the small amount of space he was given and make us wish it were him that wrote a 6 issue mini about kasper rather then Gay's boring ass MA story

Online Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2017, 09:54:26 pm »
Courtesy of UltimateTy at CBR:
Quote from: UltimateTy;2695105

https://news.marvel.com/comics/62091/world-wakanda-return-kasper-cole/

So far Given the interview the guy seems to like Kasper atleast and may do some good. The art looks good so far. I wonder if he will pull a Yona, Do well for the small amount of space he was given and make us wish it were him that wrote a 6 issue mini about kasper rather then Gay's boring ass MA story

Thanks for posting Ezyo. You beat me to it.

It shouldn't be hard to surpass what Gay wrote. Looks like T'Challa is given Kasper some motivation. To me Kasper's story should have been one of his recruitment by Hunter into the Hatut Zeraze. The mentor, disciple relationship between the two would have been a welcome addition. A tale of two outsiders who got the opportunity to look behind the veil of Wakanda.

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Panther's World of Wakanda
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2017, 01:03:19 am »
^
So, Coates seems to like Kasper? I wonder why? Is it because Kasper is biracial and was involved with a non-black woman during Priest's run? Kasper might be the kind of black male that is acceptable to Coates's white liberal friends. The only thing that would make him more acceptable is if Kasper is now gay/bisexual.

I can also see Coates liking Kasper because this the city Panther is really the kind of story Coates needs to be writing. I think he's on more comfortable ground writing about the issues and in the milieu that Kasper operated in during Priest's run. I wonder how well Coates would do if he wrote Daredevil, Moon Knight, or Punisher? Something that would allow him to write about urban life and crime without perhaps not as many racial/gender hangups for at least the main character in those books that he has for T'Challa.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:06:06 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2017, 06:02:25 am »
^
So, Coates seems to like Kasper? I wonder why? Is it because Kasper is biracial and was involved with a non-black woman during Priest's run? Kasper might be the kind of black male that is acceptable to Coates's white liberal friends. The only thing that would make him more acceptable is if Kasper is now gay/bisexual.

*sigh*

You've got it all figured out, eh?

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2017, 07:20:26 am »
^

Kasper was Coates' introduction to the BP-verse.

When Coates jumped into the Priest run, he got into it late, towards the tale end of it. The Kasper stories were the first BP stories he ever read.

Online Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2017, 09:13:38 am »
^

I can also see Coates liking Kasper because this the city Panther is really the kind of story Coates needs to be writing. I think he's on more comfortable ground writing about the issues and in the milieu that Kasper operated in during Priest's run. I wonder how well Coates would do if he wrote Daredevil, Moon Knight, or Punisher? Something that would allow him to write about urban life and crime without perhaps not as many racial/gender hangups for at least the main character in those books that he has for T'Challa.

I feel you EJ. I think Coates' leaning would be urban centered and most certainly place him in thematically familiar territories. Gay World of Wakanda, the Black Crew and Kasper's Visions of Wakanda are being marketed as palatable iterations of a too often sidelined main character.

Black Panther World of Wakanda should be an anthology of Wakanda's past, present and future all centered around the Black Panther. Stories of Wakandan submarines attacking slave ships; first contact with the Kree and Shiar; T'Challa's quest to perfect his martial training by fighting the best like Shang Chi and the warriors of Kun Lun. Go political by discussing Wakanda's manipulations to unify the Afrakan continent through their version of Pan Afrakanism.

Go all in with Black Panther World of Wakanda and have T'Challa do a discourse on alternate timelines and retcon everything back to the point before Doom ambushed him. Those events did not occur in the 616 universe and were a result of T'Challa using the Nowhere Room to be in multiple places at once and the cost was a far less than perfect replica of himself across multiple dimensions.

While T'Challa attempts to perfect the Nowhere Room he forms The Ultimates (instead of joining the Illuminati) and The Crew. He influences, manipulates and controls them as extensions of himself for the protection of  Wakanda and the world.

Throughout much of the Black Panther's published history writers and editors have demonstrated a serious lack of imagination and comprehension concerning what an empowered, autonomous Afrakan nation and its leadership would look like. Time to put an end to such nonsense. Hire Afrakan centered visionary writers, editors and artist that can not only interpret the Black Panther but can consistently manifest such. Nuff said.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2017, 10:31:44 am »
^

I feel you EJ. I think Coates' leaning would be urban centered and most certainly place him in thematically familiar territories. Gay World of Wakanda, the Black Crew and Kasper's Visions of Wakanda are being marketed as palatable iterations of a too often sidelined main character.

Black Panther World of Wakanda should be an anthology of Wakanda's past, present and future all centered around the Black Panther. Stories of Wakandan submarines attacking slave ships; first contact with the Kree and Shiar; T'Challa's quest to perfect his martial training by fighting the best like Shang Chi and the warriors of Kun Lun. Go political by discussing Wakanda's manipulations to unify the Afrakan continent through their version of Pan Afrakanism.

Go all in with Black Panther World of Wakanda and have T'Challa do a discourse on alternate timelines and retcon everything back to the point before Doom ambushed him. Those events did not occur in the 616 universe and were a result of T'Challa using the Nowhere Room to be in multiple places at once and the cost was a far less than perfect replica of himself across multiple dimensions.

While T'Challa attempts to perfect the Nowhere Room he forms The Ultimates (instead of joining the Illuminati) and The Crew. He influences, manipulates and controls them as extensions of himself for the protection of  Wakanda and the world.

Throughout much of the Black Panther's published history writers and editors have demonstrated a serious lack of imagination and comprehension concerning what an empowered, autonomous Afrakan nation and its leadership would look like. Time to put an end to such nonsense. Hire Afrakan centered visionary writers, editors and artist that can not only interpret the Black Panther but can consistently manifest such. Nuff said.

Honestly at this point i just want T'Challa moving forward, I actually don't even mind at this point him joining the Illuminate and even think it would be cool if him, Strange, Namor, and BB all got together (and the world started freaking out thinking that they were forming the Illuminate again) and were doing some stuff. Less secretive, but not exactly being transparent either. Add in some new members since Tony and Reed are gone, and just do some cool Sh*t

I think its BS that Hela or whoever killed Proxima as that should of been a Wakandan vengeance story, of them hunting down the rest of the Cabal, Bu i wouldn't mind if we saw a Wakandan Alpha Flight with them taking to the stars and encountering some new alien race (or better yet, do an Event on the Origins of Vibranium and have them come to earth to get it back for their forces) and have Wakanda be at the forefront of the Event and Earth's secret weapon to stopping the Invasion