Author Topic: Black Panther's Agents of Wakanda  (Read 106062 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Panther's World of Wakanda
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2017, 02:25:38 pm »
^
So, Coates seems to like Kasper? I wonder why? Is it because Kasper is biracial and was involved with a non-black woman during Priest's run? Kasper might be the kind of black male that is acceptable to Coates's white liberal friends. The only thing that would make him more acceptable is if Kasper is now gay/bisexual.

Kasper was Coates' introduction to the BP-verse.

When Coates jumped into the Priest run, he got into it late, towards the tale end of it. The Kasper stories were the first BP stories he ever read.

Thanks Wakandan. I didn't know that Kasper was that intro character for Coates.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2017, 02:31:55 pm »
^
So, Coates seems to like Kasper? I wonder why? Is it because Kasper is biracial and was involved with a non-black woman during Priest's run? Kasper might be the kind of black male that is acceptable to Coates's white liberal friends. The only thing that would make him more acceptable is if Kasper is now gay/bisexual.

*sigh*

You've got it all figured out, eh?

I guess you didn't see the question marks Battle before you sought to weigh in here. Nor am I guessing you haven't seen or read my various critiques of Coates's run or the other critiques of his run which do speculate that Coates panders to a white liberal readership or his white liberal colleagues on various boards here. But then again, after our many, many tussles I'm not expecting you quite frankly to go that in depth. You have your beliefs and assertions and that's that. And hey, to each his own. But if you have it all figured out then please enlighten me as only you can.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2017, 03:04:47 pm »

I think its BS that Hela or whoever killed Proxima as that should of been a Wakandan vengeance story, of them hunting down the rest of the Cabal, Bu i wouldn't mind if we saw a Wakandan Alpha Flight with them taking to the stars and encountering some new alien race (or better yet, do an Event on the Origins of Vibranium and have them come to earth to get it back for their forces) and have Wakanda be at the forefront of the Event and Earth's secret weapon to stopping the Invasion [/size][/b]

Don't worry Proxima will come back to life.  (Especially, since she might be showing up in Infinity War movies.)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2017, 06:35:28 am »
Last Call for Alcohol!

With BP-WoW less than a week to wait... I find myself underwhelm with the proliferation of Black Panther comic books. He is starring in four books this month, headlining three of them and I literally have little interest. I doubt Coates will do a better job with Kasper than he did with T'Challa. After all he didn't do his pet project the Midnight Angels any real justice.

At this stage we are going to need a Black Panther Kills the Marvel Universe to get back on point.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2017, 06:48:36 am »
Coates writer friend with no comic experience is writing this, not Coates

Worked out well with Gay....

:-[

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2017, 07:58:48 am »
Not gonna lie guys.. I saw the preview and i got a little excited... Its bad but This preview is actually not bad

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/04/13/exclusive-marvel-preview-black-panther-world-of-wakanda-6/

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2017, 04:08:10 pm »
Coates writer friend with no comic experience is writing this, not Coates

Worked out well with Gay....

:-[

True dat. I saw Coates name on the cover and thought he may have co written or contributed somehow. This preview didn't read quite the same as Caotes not to mention this T'Challa had a little more bite to him. I wonder what the future holds for World of Wakanda? Anyways... til next week.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2017, 04:46:41 pm »
WoW is cancelled, there is no solicit for #7

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2017, 05:41:53 pm »
Which will be a shame of Kasper Cole's story is actually good. Maybe if it's sh*t they might revamp BP WOW with someone with a talent for comics

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2017, 06:11:41 pm »
WoW is cancelled, there is no solicit for #7

Usually Marvel announces cancellations. I wonder if it were a limited run or if it is on hiatus? Same question about BP and the Crew.

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2017, 07:19:06 pm »
I read something about that, somewhere... if memory serves, Marvel usually doesn't solicit limited series as such, because they never sell as well.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2017, 04:28:10 am »
I read something about that, somewhere... if memory serves, Marvel usually doesn't solicit limited series as such, because they never sell as well.

I remember Breevort saying that.

But at the same time... the label minis all the time. Unworthy Thor is one such recent example.

If this would have sold, it would have kept going. But it was under the death line by issue 3. If Kasper story sells above 15K, i'll be stunned.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2017, 06:44:31 am »
Marvel should be mindful about cheapening the Black Panther brand by using his name to sell poorly written books or discrediting and sidelining the main character. The buying audience came for the Black Panther, so why this focus on the Midnight Angels and Kasper?  It almost seems as if Marvel is intentionally trying to sabotage the Black Panther or present some fractured token of the character's potential. There doesn't seem to be a comparable, sustainable interest in the Midnight Angels or Kasper, so the intelligent move would be all attention on Black Panther and Wakanda and let the supporting characters support.

Marvel needs to come to the understanding that an empowering, culturally focused, action packed, politically driven, Afro-futuristic fantasy is what people are coming to the Black Panther for. Not to mention it can indeed be highly profitable. That was the motivation that drove those numbers up on Coates first four issues. This is the expectation fueling the interest in the movie (hopefully it will deliver). Perhaps and this just a perhaps Marvel will realize they need to sync their movies and comics starting with Black Panther.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2017, 07:18:02 am »
I think you can do spin off issues on supporting cast like Kasper and MA...

but it should exist prop up T'challa. Not tear him down with subtle jabs.

The issue with the WoW MA issues is that they spent 5 issues telling us how much T'challa sucks at his job and how the Dora's were basically "his" to do with what he pleases

It wasn't until Shuri was back alive that anyone bothered to defend T'challa. T'challa didn't even defend T'challa until his conversation with Changamire.

So you get 7 issues of "T'challa sucks" narrative in his main book then 5 issues of "T'challa sucks" in a spin off book... for what is a lot of peoples first exposure to T'challa nad Wakanda. And they see an ineffectual king and a burning country.

All on the heals a movie where he was anything but weak and ineffectual.

Look at the popular iterations of the character (being blunt for bluntness sake)

Priest- took no sh*t... and completely re-invented the character

Hudlin- took no sh*t

MCU- took no sh*t.

So their response to this was... Coatsville and Gaysville?

Offline The Wakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2017, 07:54:38 am »
Marvel should be mindful about cheapening the Black Panther brand by using his name to sell poorly written books or discrediting and sidelining the main character. The buying audience came for the Black Panther, so why this focus on the Midnight Angels and Kasper?

The same reason I suspect that BP & The Crew is--so far--focused on Misty Knight: Marvel is trying to expand their roster.

I theorized in another thread that Marvel has little faith in their black characters outside of T'Challa and Luke Cage selling books (see Storm, Mosaic, Moon Girl w/o the Scholastic sales, etc).

Thus, just like Marvel is having Miles, Riri, and Sam Wilson go through mantles as a means of promotion, Marvel is now having black superheroes get some shine via the BP franchise, with the hope that, at some point, said characters will eventually get enough popularity and branch off.

As for T'Challa himself, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel is wagering that the BP film will do the heavy lifting in promoting him. Add the fact that the BP book is still selling (especially in digital), and Marvel probably feels that they are (and will) do right by him.