Author Topic: Black Panther's Agents of Wakanda  (Read 100566 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther's Agents of Wakanda
« Reply #780 on: September 26, 2019, 07:03:32 pm »
I feel vibes of how Marvel mishandled Blade after the success of the first two films a bit. I do think they have handled Black Panther much better than they did Blade, but there seems a hesitation to really let T'Challa shine. And it feels like these spin offs (The Crew, Wakanda Forever, Agents of Wakanda, etc) are Marvel's attempts to cash in on the newfound popularity of the character while still not really putting him front and center or in the best light that can really expand the readership and make more dedicated BP fans. They can't see past their racial filter, and they can't let a black character be the GOAT character even if it costs them money. Even in the MCU, Feige made certain to say that it was Captain Marvel who was the most powerful and the linchpin of the MCU going forward, before her movie even came out, yet after Black Panther had made a billion.

With this Agents of Wakanda idea, which is not a bad concept at all, but the approach just feels haphazard. Like let's just throw anyone on the team, also ran characters perhaps that the writers/editors wanted to use again but hadn't figured out how, or are testing the waters for their popularity. If the Agents are supposed to be stand-in Avengers yet do the jobs the Avengers can't or won't, that doesn't make much sense either. I would rather they were like DC's Outsiders and specifically take the jobs that the Avengers can't for various reasons. Marvel's own X-Force comes to mind here. And just from the first issue, this does seem like a pretty generic Avengers-level threat. At least with Blade's Strikeforce they had a reason why Blade didn't bring the Avengers into it.

I think they should've just combined Strikeforce and Agents of Wakanda, taking the best characters from each and really making one solid, kick-ass team.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 26, 2019, 08:03:57 pm »
I don't think there supposed to be stand in Avengers. They're the Avengers support staff. Like a team of Jarvis' who can also handle small scale events that would not be on the Avengers radar. Their territory just happens to be world wide.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #782 on: September 26, 2019, 09:07:20 pm »

WHERE IS THIS DUDE?!?

COURTESY OF CBR'S KingNomarch
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 27, 2019, 05:08:34 am »
I think i will give AoW a couple issues to see how it goes. To get itself set on what they are trying to achieve. I like that T'Challa and Okoye are in it. However o  also agree that we should have couple more Wakandans. Such as Kasper and Akili or vibraxas

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #784 on: October 11, 2019, 10:08:20 am »
T’Challa and his agents have uncovered the source of dark energy emanating from a small town in Oklahoma. Is it a super villain…or a savior?
Reality-spanning espionage, defense, and black ops, all backed by Vibranium-laced technology and the will to use it. The Agents of Wakanda are our first line of defense in a world under siege from all sides!

can be read here
https://comic-watch.com/news/sneak-peek-exclusive-preview-of-black-panther-and-the-agents-of-wakanda-2-headgames
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 10:17:02 am by Ture »

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #785 on: October 11, 2019, 01:59:10 pm »
I forgot Sentry was a reality Warper

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 16, 2019, 06:47:07 am »
Agents of W #2 was hot. If Avengers had started like this, the first arc would have been better. Zub writes a good team book.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #787 on: October 16, 2019, 07:43:13 am »
Agents of W #2 was hot. If Avengers had started like this, the first arc would have been better. Zub writes a good team book.

Already 2nd or third best side book with T'challa's name on it, behind only Rise or BPvsDP lol

That was an unexpected cameo and makes perfect sense

Didn't realize Fat Cobra was that... powerful.

Love this book already. Zub bringing in bits of history with Nakia and Okoye getting some development it seems... already did more with the existing mythos than f*cking Coates

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #788 on: October 16, 2019, 05:10:25 pm »
The Black Panther protected by his own Wakandan tech ... good to see.

The Black Panther striking Sentry twice and dodging his punch... good to see.

Would have preferred T'challa delivering this blow via his uniform absorbing some of the high levels of energy Sentry was giving off.

Would have preferred T'challa's King of the Dead power manifesting some arcane, mystic force to dispose of these entities.

The last two statements are why I would have preferred Black Panther Agents of Wakanda be a Wakandan centered team utilizing the best of their knowledge and resources to deal with situations that could potentially threaten their nation. 

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #789 on: October 18, 2019, 05:58:37 am »
Okoye's ascension is really absurd and shows how much the ball got dropped

She was THE right or die Dora in Priest run

To completely disappearing from existence.

To magically coming back MID RUN of Coates with no explanation and she just re-assumes her "tchalla right hand gal" position with no dialogue

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #790 on: October 18, 2019, 05:43:46 pm »
I opt for the magical come back of 616 W'Kabi, Zuri, Nakia and Uncle S'Yan. Not to mention some powerful non mutant Wakandans and an identifiable Wakandan armed forces to serve as some red shirts.

Best to ignore Nnedi Okorafor's killing of Malice. Maybe explore that alternate timeline McGregor had Monica die in. So much Black Panther potential. Make it so.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 18, 2019, 07:19:22 pm »

To magically coming back MID RUN of Coates with no explanation and she just re-assumes her "tchalla right hand gal" position with no dialogue

What I think is more interesting is just how much hype and push Okoye is getting. She is likely getting just as popular as Shuri of not more so, and what has she done to get that hype? Be extremely loyal to the crown and being T'Challas ride or die chick. It's almost to the point where I think she would actually make a great LI for T'Challa..  Yeah I said it

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #792 on: October 18, 2019, 08:06:09 pm »

What I think is more interesting is just how much hype and push Okoye is getting. She is likely getting just as popular as Shuri of not more so, and what has she done to get that hype? Be extremely loyal to the crown and being T'Challas ride or die chick. It's almost to the point where I think she would actually make a great LI for T'Challa..  Yeah I said it

In truth, that was the original purpose of the Dora Milaje, to be wives for the Black Panther, so I don't think such a situationship would be that far a stretch.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #793 on: October 19, 2019, 05:05:56 am »
I imagine the MCU is blocking any sort of relationship

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #794 on: October 19, 2019, 05:12:58 am »
MCU most certainly, as for the comics... there is a certain mutant woman that occupies that space for now. I wonder if they'll break up again if the Krakoa goes to war with Wakanda?