Author Topic: Black Panther's Agents of Wakanda  (Read 105628 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: Black Panther's Agents of Wakanda
« Reply #810 on: November 17, 2019, 10:32:48 am »
Ok.... The much bigger issue is surely BP would have better coffee words than Ororo or Stirmbringer.  How easy would those codes be to hack!

Lol, so true. This small example exemplifies the very need for sophistication, nuance and complexity in penning the Black Panther. Priest  did it the best, followed by Hudlin and Liss. Hell even Coates' misguided attempts try to have some depth. This is why all those BP franchise titles fail so miserably. Tell a mature Black Panther centered story period.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #811 on: November 17, 2019, 10:39:28 am »
Enjoyed issue #3. I dont think the series will go past 12, but I think it will be a fun 12 issues.

Yea, this issue is mildly enjoyable but the writer continues to hedge his bets and not deliver a fully matured Black Panther or a Wakandan centered team based on a logical premise as to why T'Challa would form such. That is what is going to sink this title. Fans, enthusiasts and the curious simply want to read good if not great stories of intrigue and adventure starring and focused on T'Challa the Black Panther.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 17, 2019, 10:58:58 am »
I dont need the team to be Wakanda centered. That is what the solo book is for. Tchalla is as fully mature in this book as it's going to get without Priest writing. As long as the book is fun, I'm in.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #813 on: November 17, 2019, 11:10:20 am »
If it can stabilize (I believe issue 2 was at 27k) then it may go oadt 12 issues. Honestly I really need something BP centric to last more theb 6-12 issues. Rise had potential but ended at 6, Coates version as been an ongoing nightmare for BP enthusiasts, And Avengers, while great, isn't T'Challa focused. AoW had been good about giving T'Challa the treatment we've wanted in the solo.

I think it needs to put some known Characters into the story though.yhe cast seems random abd I think having  spy's on itnthst carry a fanbase can help it stay out of cancelation

Priest and Hudlin had successful runs because they focused on T'Challa the Black Panther and his power set as compared to others in the MU. They also introduced the Black Panther to a new set of foes; had great crossovers or guest appearances and major events.

The fail is in westernizing Black Panther, didn't work; replacing T'Challa with a biracial or lesbian characters didn't work; focusing on supporting characters, didn't work; taking the Black Panther out of Wakandan themed stories didn't work.

What worked... Black Panther engaging Mephisto; Black Panther and Wakanda waging war against the Skrulls: Black Panther and Storm getting married; a powered down Black Panther defeating the Kingpin; Enemy of the State, World Tour, Stum und Drang... Research what has been done successfully and respectful to the Black Panther because therein lies the keys to the longevity so desired.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #814 on: November 17, 2019, 11:26:18 am »
I dont need the team to be Wakanda centered. That is what the solo book is for. Tchalla is as fully mature in this book as it's going to get without Priest writing. As long as the book is fun, I'm in.

Having the team be primarily Wakandan just opens up a large range of possibilities. The team needs a focal point for existing, something to rally around other supporting or trouble shooting for the Avengers.

The Black Panther comic book franchise has had some potential that could have manifested in the pages of The Ultimates, The Crew and now Agents of Wakanda if only the purposes for their existence served the Black Panther's singular objective... the securing of Wakanda.

T''challa's maturity must be seen not only in his mannerisms but his decision making. Calling Thor for help against Sentry or enlisting Mockingbird to go to the moon do not bode well. The Black Panther's strategic sophistication must be on full display.

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #815 on: November 18, 2019, 05:29:47 am »

It is basically agents of black panther rather than agents of wakanda.

Which is fine by me. I'd like to see Kasper because he is F list like the rest of the group and makes some sense and is actually a decently interesting character... but other than that, I really don't need to see any of the character-less stiff Wakandan's thrown out to join the team. Sucks any fun out of the group.

It isn't Zub's job to fix the fact that none of the Wakandan supporting characters have any life to them. Solo books are for building depth in the characters, team books take the "superficial" character traits and put them in a team setting.

I do understand the criticism of a book called Agents of Wakanda... not being that. The name doesn't really fit. The real name should be "Secret Avengers" because that is essentially what it is... an off shoot Avengers team doing stuff the main team doesn't have time for.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 18, 2019, 05:42:01 pm »
I agree Kasper should be o. The team. Really i think him and Roz would work well together on the team. She has experience with globe trotting missions, he has experience in Wakandan tech. They both feel out of their elements and wonder why T'Challa picked them fir the team and in turn they realize just how far stretching T'Challas plans go

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #817 on: November 21, 2019, 08:06:46 am »
first trade collects 1-5

meaning this is likely a 10 issue book unless sales hold weirdly well

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #818 on: November 21, 2019, 10:08:35 am »
With stories like this...

BLACK PANTHER AND THE AGENTS OF WAKANDA #6
JIM ZUB (W) • SCOT EATON (A) • Cover by DAVID NAKAYAMA
GWEN STACY VARIANT COVER BY TODD NAUCK
An old S.H.I.E.L.D. cache of experimental technology is a ticking time bomb the Agents of Wakanda need to defuse — but only if they get there before DEADPOOL! Time for a rematch between the King of Wakanda and the Merc with a Mouth! And adding more fuel to fire — the return of the Livewires!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

I don't wonder why.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 21, 2019, 10:51:29 am »
Looks like fun.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #820 on: November 28, 2019, 02:44:36 pm »
While we wait for the next epic adventure of Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda

Black Panther and Shuri faced a deadly swarm of mosquitos in the depths of the Wakandan jungle. Now they must race home to defend their country from the mastermind behind the recent unnatural natural disasters.

https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/marvel-action-black-panther-3/

Every 25 years, Wakanda’s ruler trades places with one of their subjects to gain perspective on their kingdom. T’Challa’s turn has come, and while working in a Vibranium refinery, he uncovers a plot to sell the priceless metal on the black market. All-new action in the Mighty Marvel Manner!

When one of the Black Panther’s advisers suffers an injury during an attack, the adviser requests the aid of a traditional healer over modern medicine. Shuri scoffs at the idea, but soon a curse forces her on an epic quest, but nothing is as it seems. All-new action in the Mighty Marvel Manner!

https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/marvel-action-black-panther-5/

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 28, 2019, 04:18:35 pm »
Out it back in the shelf. Not good at all and no new solicits. I wouldn't even recommend it for kids.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #822 on: November 28, 2019, 08:17:35 pm »
I kind of figured that. I thought Kyle would do much better.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 29, 2019, 08:48:05 am »
The problem with this is the same exact issue every other writer currently save Narcisse seems to fall into. They use BPs name but then focus instead on others. In thid book's case its Shuri. I have no issues promoting and building up Shuri. However, this is T'Challa who's names on the title, not hers and yet not only is T'Challa treated like a side Character.

He also comes off as of average intellect instead of a super genius in his own right while Shuri is the genius and the one solving all the issues in the book. While T'Challa stands around looking like an idiot. The most telling was in issue one where they are bantering about the habit, and maybe Kyle was trying to use sarcasm when having T'Challa ask Shuri id she was serious about silver reflecting light, but if he was then it didn't translate very well and if he wasn't, then it just reinforces the idea that his version of T'Challa is not of genius level intellect.

People jump on this train about Shuri being a genius based off the movie and then forget thst T'Challa is also a genius too as he did create his cw habit an seemingly created the emp beads.

Then by solicit 5, they are straight up making it about Shuri.. when will they learn? No other hero deals with this, having their name but used to build up someone else, abd Marvel wonders why this spin offs drop so fast

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #824 on: November 30, 2019, 12:16:21 pm »
Agreed Ezyo. This problem stems from a lack of editorial mandates which would provide the necessary insight for a clear and consistent ideology of who the Black Panther is and how he is to be represented. If Marvel wishes to continue wasting time and effort publishing these pathetic displays of the Black Panther it is on them.

After all the bottom line is the bottom line and Marvel has to be watching the sales figures. By now one would think that they would have had the BP comic parallel the movie and a second title based on Redjack's BP in the works. The future of comics is going to lie in hands of the fans and enthusiast and them being hired by the industry to consult, write , draw and oversee the project.