Author Topic: Black Panther's Agents of Wakanda  (Read 99716 times)

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
Re: Black Panther's Agents of Wakanda
« Reply #765 on: August 22, 2019, 09:19:20 pm »
Killmonger, WoW#6, Sound and Fury, the Annual, BP vs BD, Ghost Panther, Rise, and Avenger(for BP)were all hot for me.

I been eating good. Lol.

problem with the spin offs is that the initial ones sucked, too influenced by what Coates was doing, and trying to make the MA a thing.

If the spin offs started with Rise, BP vs DP, Avengers, Agents of Wakanda (tbd)  instead of WoW, Crew, and Ultimates (good idea, meh execution here, team was too niche)...... momentum would have carried longer.

Coates pessimism murdered the takeover before it started

I liked The Ultimates more than you did...probably a lot more...but I pretty much agree across the board with you, MoS.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #766 on: August 24, 2019, 11:07:54 am »

The Black Panther looking good in the pages of Avengers #23 out Wednesday, August 28.
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #767 on: August 24, 2019, 11:21:45 am »
Here's a sneak peek of Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda

Black Panther assembles his team of elite heroes in this preview of September 18's Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda #1 (via Marvel.com).

BLACK PANTHER AND THE AGENTS OF WAKANDA #1
Jim Zub (W) • LAN MEDINA (A)
Cover by JORGE MOLINA
Variant cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
GAME VARIANT COVER BY YOON LEE
Hidden Gem variant cover by TBA
VARIANT COVER by TBA
WAKANDA WORLDWIDE!
ALL-NEW ONGOING SERIES!
From the pages of Jason Aaron’s AVENGERS! Vampires. Aliens. Angry fish kings. Black Panther’s hand-picked Agents of Wakanda can handle it all. And who better to lead them than the king of the world’s most technologically evolved country? Wakanda is making waves on the world’s map – and not everyone’s a fan. With General Okoye’s help, T’Challa will take Gorilla-Man, Ka-Zar and Wasp on a global fight for survival – to handle threats S.H.I.E.L.D. could only dream of!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 29, 2019, 05:36:28 pm »
Killmonger, WoW#6, Sound and Fury, the Annual, BP vs BD, Ghost Panther, Rise, and Avenger(for BP)were all hot for me.

I been eating good. Lol.

problem with the spin offs is that the initial ones sucked, too influenced by what Coates was doing, and trying to make the MA a thing.

If the spin offs started with Rise, BP vs DP, Avengers, Agents of Wakanda (tbd)  instead of WoW, Crew, and Ultimates (good idea, meh execution here, team was too niche)...... momentum would have carried longer.

Coates pessimism murdered the takeover before it started

I agree with all this as well. Ultimates started out Goodwin the first two issues (ultimates 1 I should clarify) but Ewing never let any of them cut loose.. at all. Despite that being a thing he talked about in interviews. Basically how the interviews went he painted a much different picture of what to expect, and unfortunately, he didn't deliver

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #769 on: September 05, 2019, 03:51:17 pm »
Beware of Geek @ CBR...

Frankly, I've become disenchanted with superhero comics in general, because so very few of them are aspirational in any way. It feels like since roughly 2004, the great majority of Big Two comics have focused on how "unrealistic", broken, or downright delusional heroes are. Idealism has given way to cynicism and navel-gazing.

The MCU is a notable exception, but we are already seeing a backlash against their style of escapism, with films like Brightburn and the upcoming Joker film. And even in this very thread, we have people who think the best thing they can do in the next film is to flood Wakanda, because trashing a borderline utopia is somehow good storytelling.

(In all fairness, if you look at the 616 universe, destroying exotic cultures has become something of a cliche. Attilan, Atlantis, Wakanda, Olympia, etc...)

It's a far cry from how superhero comics used to be. I always recall the words of the late Harlan Ellison, speaking about a certain Big Blue Boy Scout from the Distinguished Competition:

"He is more than the fanciful daydream of two Cleveland schoolboys. He is the 20th-century archetype of mankind at its finest. He is courage and humanity, steadfastness and decency, responsibility and ethic. He is our universal longing for perfection, for wisdom and power used in the service of the human race.

Of all the literary creations of American fiction, Superman, after all these years, born of a 'dispensable, disreputable' genre, is the only one that seems certain to get Posterity's nod. And that is because, simply put, he is our highest aspirations in human form."

There's one bit I'd like to highlight:

"…wisdom and power used in the service of the human race."

That's Black Panther, too.

My first comic was purchased in 1975. For me, the "golden age" of comics was probably around 1985, when you had some of the greatest runs ever at Marvel & DC. Frankly, I'm too old-school for the modern "deconstructive" era.

My theory is more that there's a crop of new writers who believe that comics must be more "literary", which usually translates to character-driven stories with a lot of "ordinary" plots and introspection. It's all about "trying to understand what makes someone act like a superhero (or king, in the case of BP)" without actually having the characters ACT like heroes (or kings).

Look at the Nolan Bat-films, or the Craig Bonds. 2 or 3 movies showing how the main characters "become" their roles, and in the next film, they are already washed up.

M. Coates is clearly an example of this, as his entire run seems devoted to showing T'Challa in situations (the MA revolt, the Adversary/Orisha thing, the space arc) where he is out of his element and being manipulated by events, not actually driving the plot in any real fashion. T'Challa has had almost NO agency.

because it needed to be read over here as well.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #770 on: September 05, 2019, 03:54:06 pm »
In addition to Agents of Wakanda, The Black Panther is also involved in this...

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #771 on: September 14, 2019, 08:02:33 am »
BLACK PANTHER AND THE AGENTS OF WAKANDA #1 Preview
By Yesh Wells

In BLACK PANTHER AND THE AGENTS OF WAKANDA #1 Preview, WAKANDA IS WORLDWIDE! From the pages of Jason Aaron’s AVENGERS! Vampires. Aliens. Angry fish kings. Black Panther’s hand-picked Agents of Wakanda can handle it all. And who better to lead them than the king of the world’s most technologically evolved country? Wakanda is making waves on the world’s map – and not everyone’s a fan. With General Okoye’s help, T’Challa will take Gorilla-Man, Ka-Zar, and Wasp on a global fight for survival – to handle threats S.H.I.E.L.D. could only dream of!

https://comicsverse.com/black-panther-and-the-agents-of-wakanda-1-preview/

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 18, 2019, 08:15:01 am »
First issue was a good read. Well placed with good action and dialogue.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #773 on: September 20, 2019, 09:41:30 am »
Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda, like too many Black Panther titles of late focuses more on supporting characters than T'Challa. What's worse is these characters are often below or off radar. Ideally, I would prefer a Wakandan centered team of agents thus allowing the creation of new Wakandan characters; the reintroducing of established Wakandan characters; and the updating of long forgotten characters in the BP mythos. This would go a long way in the world building that is needed to expand the Black Panther.

With that being said the book read well and was paced appropriately. Characters had their correct voices. This title gave me that Ultimates feel and I'm hoping we get some significant feats from the Black Panther in the issues to come. Hint, hint...

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #774 on: September 20, 2019, 10:19:45 am »

Think T'Challa willget some one on one time?

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #775 on: September 20, 2019, 11:12:15 am »

JIM ZUB (W) • LAN MEDINA (A) • Cover by JORGE MOLINA
2020 VARIANT COVER BY PASQUAL FERRY
T’Challa and Okoye have assembled an eclectic team of spies, mercenaries, and super heroes who specialize in espionage, black-ops, and defense. These Agents of Wakanda must be ready for any threat to our planet…even if that threat is the Moon itself!
What?! What kind of lunar-cy is this?! You must not miss – God Loves, Moon Kills!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Online Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 26, 2019, 12:07:10 pm »
Finally read the first #1. I agree a lot with what Ture said about the book. The team member choices here seem pretty random to me, and T'Challa isn't as central to the book-at the start-as I would like for him to be. It would be great to get more Wakandan-new characters, or some returning ones-like Flea or Vibraxas (don't  know if he has showed up yet or what happened to him). Monica Rambeau feels like she would fit better as an Agent of Wakanda than on Blade's Strikeforce. (I do think Blade was more central to the first issue of that book, more driving events than T'Challa was in his team book). I did feel that both Strikeforce and the Agents of Wakanda are fighting similar villains-don't know why Marvel just didn't have them be the same. That being said, I think the Strikeforce villains are a little better explained at this point; but the Agents of Wakanda monsters are better drawn).

This series I might just wait on the trade for.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #777 on: September 26, 2019, 12:36:43 pm »
Finally read the first #1. I agree a lot with what Ture said about the book. The team member choices here seem pretty random to me, and T'Challa isn't as central to the book-at the start-as I would like for him to be. It would be great to get more Wakandan-new characters, or some returning ones-like Flea or Vibraxas (don't  know if he has showed up yet or what happened to him). Monica Rambeau feels like she would fit better as an Agent of Wakanda than on Blade's Strikeforce. (I do think Blade was more central to the first issue of that book, more driving events than T'Challa was in his team book). I did feel that both Strikeforce and the Agents of Wakanda are fighting similar villains-don't know why Marvel just didn't have them be the same. That being said, I think the Strikeforce villains are a little better explained at this point; but the Agents of Wakanda monsters are better drawn).

This series I might just wait on the trade for.

I feel you on that Emperorjones. There seem to be some insistence via Marvel or editorial to minimize Wakandan impact on a given series. T'Challa the Black Panther has all the necessary Wakandan characters to fill out all the titles baring his name over the past 3 years. Not to mention doing such in light of last year's movie would not only expand the franchise but explore new ideas centered in an overlooked category of storytelling... Afrakan centered futurism.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 26, 2019, 03:57:50 pm »
Marvel probably assumes it would get cancelled before the second issue come out just like the first Crew and Coates' Crew. Wakanda is marketable to the general public, but the general comic community isn't there yet.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #779 on: September 26, 2019, 04:42:11 pm »
If Marvel assumes such they may be incorrect. The the first Crew and Coates' Crew were not Wakandan nor Wakandan centered. The general comic community may not be there yet but as Coates has demonstrated there is a significant Afrakan (so called Black) readership that may support a well written, empowering, Afrakan centered futurism ongoing. Write it Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Phoenix Saga level and watch the general comic community get in the mix. General comic community, Afrakan (so called Black) readership just want good to excellent comics to read not mediocre to poor ones. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 04:45:17 pm by Ture »