Author Topic: ‘Queen Sugar’: Director Neema Barnette is Ava Duvernay’s Secret Weapon  (Read 965 times)

Offline imchills

• Assistant
    • View Profile
There’s a Catch-22 for indie film directors trying to break into television.  To direct, episodic television networks and showrunners often require previous experience working in television, which is impossible to get if no one will hire you. It’s an experience barrier that is most often pointed to when Hollywood tries to explain how few minority and female directors there are working in TV.

Ava DuVernay decided to blow up this roadblock when hiring her all-female directing team — many of whom are women of color and have little-to-no TV experience — to shoot her new show “Queen Sugar.” DuVernay, whose roots are in Sundance and indie film, recently explained on a conference call why she reached for festival filmmakers like So Yong Kim (“Lovesong”), Tina Marby (“Mississippi Damned”) and Kat Candler (“Hellion”).

Read more at http://www.indiewire.com/2016/09/queen-sugar-ava-duvernay-neema-barnette-director-mentor-diversity-1201726650/

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Each episode looks beautiful.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
I'm loving Queen Sugar. The reveal in the last episode was powerful. I feel like it's been gathering momentum and is ready to roll.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Neema has been a friend since I was a youngin'. So glad she's getting the shine she deserves.