Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery casts lead  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discovery casts lead
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 08:02:19 am »
Did anyone see the pilot on CBS yesterday?

I thought it was very good, which is refreshing because Trek usually takes a season to get good (if it ever does-I wasn't a fan of either Voyager or Enterprise). I liked the lead. I've been a big Michelle Yeoh fan since the 90's so seeing he as Mike's Captain is a treat for me.

This is a prequel to the original series that attempts to show why/how the Klingons and the Federation  became the bitter enemies they were in TOS.

The new Klingons look like a cross between the original movie design and LOTR's Orcs. Don't really have a opinion on it either way.

This is was only episode we could see without ordering CBS streaming service. I refuse to order this so this is
probably also the LAST Discovery episode I see.

Also
Spoiler (click to reveal)
MIchelle Yeoh gets killed off in the second episode, so the show is doing its best to put itself on my bad side even outside of asking me to pay extra for it. Which pissed me off enough as it was. Could see myself watching the Orville out of sheer spite now.

My personal issues aside, thoughts?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 09:05:50 am »
Unfortunately I only got to see parts of the pilot they showed on CBS. From what I saw I thought it was a mixed bag. It looked great, Sonequa Martin-Green was fine (both in looks and acting) but overall the writing and characterization felt choppy and shaky. I felt that CBS wanted to ramp up the action, drama, and emotionalism at the expense of organic character building.

Still not a fan of James Frain as Sarek. While I think Michelle Yeoh was good casting, her line delivery was too stilted for me and there was a distance too often between her and Martin-Green for me to fully believe they had a mother-daughter/mentor-student kind of relationship. Burnham also came across as too trigger happy, but once again, I think that was done for the sake of increasing the action and drama. I liked Doug Jones as Saru. I liked that how he was into self-preservation, that isn't a perspective you see much of in a Starfleet officer.

As for the Klingons, the production design was on point. I'm still not a fan of the redesigned look for the Klingons but the production values were good.

I also had some issues with the continuity gaffes or overturning. I noticed that the 100 year absence spoken of in the pilot conflicts with what Spock said about the 70s years of hostilities between the Federation and Klingons in Star Trek 6, which would have put the start of that conflict in the 2220s. But Discovery now has it that the Klingons pulled back from interacting with the Klingons in the 2150s. Perhaps it was related to the Earth-Romulan War. I do hope we get some answers about why the Klingons pulled back.

Other reviewers have pointed out the hologram communication technology. Really, the Sarek hologram was more advanced than what we saw in the 24th century with the exception of The Doctor.  I also feel overall that the ships and other tech looked too advanced for the time period.

I don't get why they just didn't put Discovery in the 25th century. So far, nothing I've seen demands that the show predates Kirk's Enterprise. Granted they couldn't use Sarek, but Tuvok could easily have filled that role.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 02:54:02 pm »
I think I give episode 1, a C.

Parts were good.  Parts were stupid (two people walking making a mark in the desert visible from Orbit?)

But the two things that bothered me most: Sonequa Martin-Green's character acted more like a newbie than a seasoned professional, especially at the end.

And the Klingons.  I can deal with the new look.  Don't care for it, but I can accept it.  But their uniforms!?!?!   They make me think 70s Roller Disco mixed with 70s sci-fi!!!! 

I won't pay for streaming to watch this, so when the DVDs come out, I hope my library will have copies.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:42:55 pm by KIP LEWIS »

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 03:40:49 pm »
hmm.. So what's the rated PG-16/R content in the series?  "go where no one has gone before".....   ;D
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 04:45:29 pm »
Part 2 of episode 1 was a lot better,  A couple of irritating moments for me was: The JJ Abrams lens flares on the bridge and the "slant" camera makes me want to tilt my head all the time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:03:34 pm by Marvelous »

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 07:06:00 pm »
I liked the 1st episode, felt Michael and the Captain's relationship was interesting.  Yeoh seemed to be constantly trying to restrain her pride, admiration, favoritism for her prized pupil until....you know what.  Michael's suited space flight was awesome, amazing visuals!  Tech does seem too advanced for the period but I dug it!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Michael Jewett

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 02:31:23 pm »

I'll give the first two episodes a solid Warp Factor 8. Discovery definitely has an edge and feel of its' own. High marks for technical design, sets, special effects, etc. Solid work from the cast. Some interesting characters here. Commander Michael Burnham has real potential.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 04:23:25 pm »
i'm hooked but not enough to subscribe...but I NEED to see episode 2.
I can't stop thinkin' about this show.
And who knew that Daft Punk was on Discovery

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:44:05 am by Emperorjones »