Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 8073 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2018, 02:23:10 pm »
What did you all think of the season finale?
Is this series worth watching?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2018, 06:49:08 pm »
What did you all think of the season finale?
Is this series worth watching?

HELLS TO THE YEA!

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2018, 01:35:45 am »
I haven't seen the whole season. I'm not buying All Access, and I haven't committed to trying to get the free week of it to crush the show. So I just read reviews or mainly watch them at You Tube. In time I might buy the season when it comes to home video if it's not too expensive.

The impression I get from the reviews I've seen or read is generally mixed, but that the season gets better as it goes along. Though there are issues with the writing, character development, and continuity, which I think were evident in the little bit of Discovery that I actually have seen.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:18:02 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 03:49:28 pm »
http://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-star-trek-discovery-needs-223558255.html

I thought this was a really good article about the show and about some of the problems I sense from what I've read/heard about it. Especially related to the Michael Burnham character.

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2018, 07:59:05 pm »
! No longer available

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2018, 05:03:58 pm »
I bought Star Trek Discovery Season 1 on DVD and finished it the other day. Even though I had read/watched a lot of spoilers already and knew about the major stuff that happened during the season, I still enjoyed watching it for myself. I liked the show more than I thought I would. I thought it was the second best first season of any Trek series, with TOS being at the top. DISCO has the best production values of any televised Trek, and is better than many of the movies too. And being 15-episodes, it was tighter, with a faster pace (sometimes to its detriment). Below are my thoughts:

-Production values. I thought they were movie quality and fit the aesthetic of the J.J. Abrams's era Trek films.
-Ship/costume design: This show had very good costuming and cool ship and weapons designs. Once again, I thought they were often movie quality.
-Sonequa Martin-Green. While I didn't always get where they were going with her character, I thought Martin-Green was committed to the role and is not a bad lead for the series.
-Crew: Overall the crew wasn't that bad. They were not as bland as the ENT crew and I liked that the characters were allowed to have some interpersonal conflicts, more than the VOY crew. In addition to Burnham, Tyler, Lorca, Stamets, and Saru stood out for me. I also liked Michelle Yeoh's Philippa Georgiou. DISCO put me in the mind of DS9, but also had the feel of the recent Battlestar Galactica; with BSG actress Rekha Sharma being on the show didn't hurt either in making that comparison. I also liked the Klingons L'Rell, T'Kuvma, and Kol.
-Klingons: I was very iffy about the changes made to them, but I did like how they did feel more alien, somewhat. At least they made the attempt. The costumes and ships were an interesting design.
-Starfleet uniforms: I liked them already but they grew on me more as I got into the season.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
-Music: Never thought I would hear Al Green or Wyclef on a Star Trek show. I'm glad they are using more contemporary music than the classic stuff from previous Treks.

Dislikes:
-Battle scenes: Despite how much thought and care went into designing the space ships, I thought the battle scenes were often hard to follow and could've been better.
-Aesthetics: While great looking, they didn't fit the time period. Starfleet ships and technology was too advanced for a show set 10 years before TOS. It works for a modern audience, but I wish they had taken greater pains to emulate the TOS style. The fan film "Prelude to Axanar" which got shut down by CBS did it very well, and I wish CBS had hired those folks to design the ships instead of just shutting them down.
-
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Klingons: Even though I thought the design was interesting, I wish they had adhered closer to canon. There's little they did in DISCO that could not have been done with more traditional looking Klingons. I think the redesign was a little too radical. It was hard to reconcile such a divergent look without explanation, which the show did not provide. If the DISCO Klingons had been another species, and leave their ships and costumes as is, then I wouldn't have any complaints about them. But since they made them Klingons and there's decades of live-action material out there about the Klingons, they should've made sure to work better within what had already been established. I also thought the Klingon makeup was too restrictive and made it harder for the actors to say their lines. I also felt the show made a mistake by having the Klingon characters speak in Klingon far too much, and used subtitles to translate for the audience. When the Klingon actors were allowed to talk English I thought they sounded better.
-Sarek: Was just not feeling James Frain as Sarek. I never bought him in the role. There was something too serpentine about his performance. They should've saved him to play a Romulan or maybe a sly Klingon.
-Crew: The focus wasn't equally shared and I wish some of the junior officers had gotten more spotlight, also that they provided species' names for some of the alien crewmen besides Saru. Cadet Tilly, apparently a fan favorite, was just okay for me. Dr. Culber didn't do much for me either.
-"Michael" Burnham: Didn't like giving a black woman a masculine name. It goes back to me the tendency to depict black women as more masculine and black men as more effeminate in Hollywood. About the Burnham character I've read some criticism that she was othered and came to represent-in a negative way-the self-sacrificing black woman. I'm not sure about that, but it's something I need to keep an eye on. I did like that Burnham wasn't a Mary Sue. I thought they were going to go that route, with all the talk about how special Burnham is.  But the show shows her screwing up, perhaps too much at times, and she earns her victories, in ways that Star Wars's Rey doesn't, or hasn't yet.
-Black men: Very few black men on DISCO. Culber is the most prominent black male character and he is killed off, though the show's producers have promised he'll be back. There's two background players on Discovery-one a communications officer and another-with noticeable and notable dreadlocks-works the transporter. Together they probably had a few lines between them. The highest ranking black Starfleet officer was a Vulcan admiral who the Discovery's captain, Lorca, disrespected a bit too much for me. Also there was another black captain, Maddox, who Lorca disrespected even more, and I wasn't a big fan of that, though the show did explain Lorca's behavior there somewhat. Nigerian/English actor Chris Obi played T'Kuvma, the Klingon messiah who was killed off in the second episode, with his successor being a Klingon with albinism, so they had a very dark-skinned, coal black Klingon replaced by a literally white Klingon. As an aside, almost no black actors are chosen to be Klingon leaders in Trek period. They fill the ranks as the soldiers, and seem to have become the go-to actor for Klingons starting in TNG, and arguably there were black actors in several Jem'Hadar roles as well, but many of the leader roles have been saved for white/nonblack actors, and DISCO starts out with T'Kuvma, but moves on to Voq, L'Rell, and Kol, all played by nonblack actors. Off the top of my head, the only black actress that I can think of that played a Klingon was Gabrielle Union on DS9. As for black women on DISCO, there is a prominently featured bridge officer,  Joann Owosekun, who got some spotlight, but I would like to see more. There was also a Doctor Pollard that got a couple lines, and I would like to see her more as well. She sounded more credible as a physician than Culber to me.
-Harry Mudd: I didn't dislike Rainn Wilson as Mudd, but I'm not so sure about the darker take on the character. Plus he was the guest star for the time loop episode, the one I disliked the least. Even though that was the episode that had the Wyclef and Al Green songs.

Below are many of the black actors/characters from Season 1 (Beware spoilers):

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_Burnham

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Terral

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Joann_Owosekun

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Hugh_Culber

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Pollard

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/R.A._Bryce

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/T%27Kuvma

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Maddox

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:22:17 am by Emperorjones »