Author Topic: Star Trek franchise  (Read 38129 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek franchise
« Reply #330 on: October 18, 2020, 06:29:23 am »
Do mean end them at the fourth season? Or start them at the fourth season?

From the 1st season to the 4th season;  every title in the Star Trek series.

Let's see your results.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2020, 06:40:45 am »
I already put that in, in the last post I made.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2020, 07:08:37 am »
Perhaps I should have been more clear  :-[

The Star Trek series traditionally ramp up their storytelling after the 4th season.

Anyway, I'm excited about a 4th season of Star Trek: Discovery as I have not seen the 2nd nor the 3rd season.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2020, 08:59:43 am »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2020, 09:21:13 am »
Look...   this has to be said:

It wasn't until Captain Sisko grew a beard and was finally commissioned a star ship did 'Deep Space 9' start to pick up their game.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:24:29 pm by Battle »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 18, 2020, 09:54:26 am »
That sounds about right. Both TNG and DS9 got better after the 4th season or thereabouts.

On the other hand, I don't feel like Voyager ever got any better and I saw so little of Enterprise that I couldn't tell you if it ever improved or not.

PS: Enterprise always felt to me like it could have been any other Sci Fi show from the period. Maybe because Scott Buckula (?) was the lead.

I saw him and my mind automatically thought I was watching Stargate, lol

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 18, 2020, 10:24:46 am »

On the other hand, I don't feel like Voyager ever got any better and...

You were doing so well until you wrote this and your 'feelings' got involved.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:58:46 am by Battle »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 18, 2020, 12:49:12 pm »
Look...   this has to be said:

It wasn't until Captain Sisko grew a beard and was finally commissioned a star ship did 'Deep Space 9' start to pick up their game.

Sisko got the starship in Season 3. I would have to look back about the beard. Because he got the beard before he shaved his head, and I want to say he was wearing that look in the Season 2 finale but then changed back to a clean-shaven look though my memory is foggy there. I do know that he got the bald and goateed look from Season 4 on.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2020, 12:57:45 pm »
That sounds about right. Both TNG and DS9 got better after the 4th season or thereabouts.

On the other hand, I don't feel like Voyager ever got any better and I saw so little of Enterprise that I couldn't tell you if it ever improved or not.

PS: Enterprise always felt to me like it could have been any other Sci Fi show from the period. Maybe because Scott Buckula (?) was the lead.

I saw him and my mind automatically thought I was watching Stargate, lol

I see consistent improvement starting at Season 3 for DS9, TNG, and ENT more than Season 4. For VOY, I didn't look at it enough and consistently, but I can see how Season 4, when Seven of Nine came on, was when it improved. With that, while Jeri Ryan was quite a find and Seven was a good character, I think the series then went too much into focusing on her (and occasionally The Doctor) at the expense of the rest of the ensemble. I also think they went into Borg overkill and I got so tired of Seven saving the ship with "Borg nanoprobes" which were used to solve just about anything.

I'm guessing that Season 3 will be where DISCO will be where the series 'turns around' for some fans.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Now that they are in the future they don't have to awkwardly insert themselves into the history right before TOS anymore and are not bound by any of the older Trek series anyway.

With ENT, at the time I felt it was too bland and too behind-the-time compared to the then fresher and more gripping genre entertainment out there. Battlestar Galactica just was more compelling, and other genre series-even if short-lived, came off as more buzzy, while ENT was more of the same kind of storytelling we had been getting since the 1980s with TNG, though with less interesting characters. But now, looking at the series almost 20 years later and comparing it to CBS All Access Trek, I'm enjoying the nostalgic feel of the series.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2020, 01:51:16 pm »
I do know that he got the bald and goateed look from Season 4 on.

It's a circular argument; did we not discuss this before?

I enjoyed all the Star Trek television shows, for better or worse.  Wished there were more enlightened discussion in this thread instead of the usual unnecessary banter.

There's a lot interesting things to discuss in Discovery and no one's doing it.  :-\

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2020, 04:36:51 pm »
You said things got better from Season 4 on, but then mentioned things regarding DS9 that happened before Season 4. I don't see what's circular about that.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 18, 2020, 07:44:03 pm »
You said things got better from Season 4 on, but then mentioned things regarding DS9 that happened before Season 4. I don't see what's circular about that.

What is it exactly about 'Deep Space 9' you find greater than the other titles in the Star Trek series?

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 18, 2020, 11:12:27 pm »

On the other hand, I don't feel like Voyager ever got any better and...

You were doing so well until you wrote this and your 'feelings' got involved.   ;)

Hey, would you be happier if I said that Voyager was objectively worse than both TNG and DS9?

There certainly was an clearly inept handling of characters and cast.

They gave Chaotay nothing to do. They gave Harry Kim nothing to do.

Tuvok got little to do considering the series Vulcan usually is the second most important character on a Trek series after the Captain.

Imagine what that show would have been like had the Doctor NOT been a breakout character.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 19, 2020, 09:40:47 am »
Hey, would you be happier if I said that Voyager was objectively worse than both TNG and DS9?

There certainly was an clearly inept handling of characters and cast.

They gave Chaotay nothing to do. They gave Harry Kim nothing to do.

Tuvok got little to do considering the series Vulcan usually is the second most important character on a Trek series after the Captain.

Imagine what that show would have been like had the Doctor NOT been a breakout character.

What are your opinions of Star Trek: Disco?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 19, 2020, 07:12:18 pm »

What is it exactly about 'Deep Space 9' you find greater than the other titles in the Star Trek series?

I've already laid out some of the reasons why I think DS9 is the best series. The writing, the character development, and the Dominion War are the reasons I put it above the other series, to keep it short. It's the most consistent series in terms of quality for me. With TNG it started off very weak and got progressively better though they were coasting in the final season, but ended with the strongest series finale in "All Good Things". I also thought ENT started off weak but got compelling in the final two seasons. TOS started off strong, with many iconic episodes in the first two seasons, but the third season is often considered the weakest and then it got unceremoniously cancelled. Never got into VOY enough to judge it on consistency. DISCO has been generally consistent tonally, but has been shaky with some writing and Trek canon, and the character development could be better.

Haven't seen enough TAS and Lower Decks yet. I don't consider Short Treks a series really because they are connected to various series, like DISCO, even TOS, and the future Strange New Worlds.