Author Topic: Joss Whedon off WW  (Read 6090 times)

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Joss Whedon off WW
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 05:55:11 am »
LOVED Buffy,Angel and Firefly.Own Serenity and every episode of Angel and Buffy that I can find.Yeah,Sarah Michelle Gellar was waaaay too lacking in physicality,and IMHO they shoulda stuck to the stunt doubles doing 99.9% of the fighting for Sarah.

OMG we all have terminal cases of geek-itus.LOL.
Surely not! ;)
Gellar was not a good fighter (and she ran like... well, llike a girl), but she was a terrific actress, who doesn't seem to be stretching herself nowadays. The episodes where she swapped bodies with Faith, or when she was playing The First or Buffybot, she really made you forget that it was the same actress as regular Buffy, despite (obviously) having the same voice and face.

And as for Serenity, any film where one spaceship harpoons another, and swings it round into a third is made of win (also, 'I am a leaf on the wind......')

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 07:53:18 am »

LOVED Buffy,Angel and Firefly.Own Serenity and every episode of Angel and Buffy that I can find.Yeah,Sarah Michelle Gellar was waaaay too lacking in physicality,and IMHO they shoulda stuck to the stunt doubles doing 99.9% of the fighting for Sarah.

OMG we all have terminal cases of geek-itus.LOL.

I may give try them again at some point, but that's because I never say never...most days.  But the geek-o-meter is going haywire right now!  ;D   Gellar was way too stickly for me to believe she was delivering so many ass-kickings, I know you have to suspend disbelief, but come on...and the fight choreography was worse than Hercules and Xena combined.  I have to admit, I saw Serenity and it was OK, but it didn't blow me away like other folks.  Hmmm, maybe the hype that is Whedon got to me before his actual work did and I was let down by it.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 08:33:47 pm »
Not a single one of them.  I've had friends that made me sit through episodes of Buffy and Firefly and Angel...trying to do a Whedon intervention.

That's not an intervention, Catch. That's brainwashing.  :D
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 08:36:57 pm »
The crime fighter in the leotard and hooker boots? I could have lived with that being changed. I've seen a couple of really good redesigns with a slightly more armoured look, that really play up her Amzonian heritage. Also, like you said, her Rogue's Gallery is pretty weak. I think I've only heard of Dr Cyber from a JLU cameo, and the Cheetah just isn't something that I reckon would really help sell the movie. Maybe if she was up against Hades or something?

I'd have preferred Ares, God of War. George Perez made him a major threat during his WW stint. Hades isn't like the Devil in Greek mythology.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 03:36:51 am »
I'd have preferred Ares, God of War. George Perez made him a major threat during his WW stint. Hades isn't like the Devil in Greek mythology.
OK, I guess I only really have JLU as a reference, where Hades made a bigger impression, what with being her father. Ares makes more sense, probably.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 08:22:29 am »
Not a single one of them.  I've had friends that made me sit through episodes of Buffy and Firefly and Angel...trying to do a Whedon intervention.

That's not an intervention, Catch. That's brainwashing.  :D

True dat!  But my brain can't be washed!  It needs to be washed...but it can't be washed!  That's another thing I disliked about Buffy...the name of the city...Sunnydale?? ARRRGGHHH!

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 08:02:20 pm »
OK, I guess I only really have JLU as a reference, where Hades made a bigger impression, what with being her father. Ares makes more sense, probably.

Ugh! That cursed episode! Ugh! Hades as her father? Ugh! Now I'm now grateful John Bryne wrote that Ares is WW's grandfather. And I hate John Byrne's run on WW!

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 05:47:27 am »
True dat!  But my brain can't be washed!  It needs to be washed...but it can't be washed!  That's another thing I disliked about Buffy...the name of the city...Sunnydale?? ARRRGGHHH!
Have you seen any of the episodes with The Mayor? Considering he founded, named and always ruled the city, such a twee name is perfectly fitting.

-Harriet Tubman

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 05:48:43 am »
Ugh! That cursed episode! Ugh! Hades as her father? Ugh! Now I'm now grateful John Bryne wrote that Ares is WW's grandfather. And I hate John Byrne's run on WW!
Well, at least Shayera pointed out that he could be lying, and Diana ultimatly didn't care either way, as she said her mother was the only person she considered a parent to her.

-Harriet Tubman