Author Topic: Rank the members of New Edition  (Read 95 times)

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Rank the members of New Edition
« on: January 30, 2017, 06:27:26 am »
Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky, Mike, Ralph and Johnny, too.

In terms of talent and overall contributions to the group.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Rank the members of New Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 06:28:54 pm »
Great hard choice. 

Ralph established the group with those lead vocals on all the early hits;

Johnny was crucial in their transition from boys to men (heh)

Mike was the business mind that allowed the group to get a grip on their careers;

Bobby of course the wild card...so important as a solo act and a reality star...but where do you rank his contributions in the group?

Ricky often underrated singer

Ronnie, who doesn't love him?

Yep, a hard choice.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 11:22:23 am »
Great hard choice. 

Ralph established the group with those lead vocals on all the early hits;

Johnny was crucial in their transition from boys to men (heh)

Mike was the business mind that allowed the group to get a grip on their careers;

Bobby of course the wild card...so important as a solo act and a reality star...but where do you rank his contributions in the group?

Ronnie, who doesn't love him?

Yep, a hard choice.

Your answer made a hard choice look easy. It's HARD to vote against it. But Switch Ronnie and Ricky. Ronnie has a certain Bostonian swagger that gives him more of a presence than Ricky.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 05:08:16 pm »

Going by the biopic, he brought the group together.

Yeah, Ricky never got as many opportunities to sing lead in NE as he should. BBD proved he's lead singer caliber.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 05:57:42 am »
In terms of vocal sophistication, my picks:
1 johnny-  2 ralph  3 ricky  4 bobby

Bobby should try doing an all-ballads LP next-- we know they come from a background of hip-hop swagger, but it could be lucrative to go more deliberately for adult contemporary audiences.

In terms of rap skills-
mike- keeps it fun, fortunately didn't go too gangster--
Ronnie- generally on-point, but certain verses have come across as off-beat

With the youth R&B acts of the 1980s leading into the rise of new jack swing as a format, in New Edition and most of the Gen X soul/R&B singers, they didn’t look at rap as an “enemy” genre, a different tack compared to the funk bands of the 70s who absolutely hated disco.

It would be great if universal records would release a CD box set of “The New Edition Legacy” with the key group and spinoff albums as well as hard to find 12-inch mixes of various songs. The “NE Heartbreak” remix in particular I’m interested in.
Too bad that the group wasn’t actively releasing material in the “gap years”. I wanted them to put out more albums as a group and with the spinoffs. Especially after they signed with Bad Boy I thought they intended to put out more than just one group album. They were very much the Generation X J5/Temptations. As the nineties wore on, it seemed like we heard less from them, as people like R Kelly, Maxwell, Raphael Saadiq and other male soloists became more prominent. Boyz II Men and Jodeci had a rivalry that yielded some competitive hits; the newer R&B groups that came out started having their runs: 112, Jagged Edge, Immature, B2K, etc. Obviously, the “white dude” group acts started blowing up: Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, 98 Degrees, etc. (Full Force wrote and produced for a lot of them). And of course the thematic trend toward “Thug & B” became the equivalent of gangsta-rap for male R&B artists.. Trey Songz, Chris Brown, etc.

I didn’t care for “Forever” when Bobby put that out; I also didn’t know that he had an indie release “Masterpiece” until discovering it at allmusic.com, also Ralph’s “Rizz Wa Faire” LP, I scarcely knew that even existed. I figured both of these guys still had enough influence to secure a major deal, seems a little odd. I’d also have to revisit Johnny’s last couple of solo albums which I hadn’t checked out. I felt he should have had a more prominent role on group LPs after “Heartbreak” but of course there was that immediate segue into the solo spinoffs and eventually the staggered-out “reunion” albums. I also hadn’t checked out the LSG albums yet; RIP Gerald Levert.

Some folks I’d still like to see the group collaborate with in the near future: DJ Premier, Teddy Riley, R. Kelly, Rick Rubin, Lenny Kravitz, Raphael Saadiq, Anthony Hamilton, Jill Scott, Marsha Ambrosius, Lauryn Hill.

I’m thinking I’ve still never managed to see any of them live in concert. That has to change this year, lol.