Author Topic: I have finally figured out Why Hudlin's Black Panther Catches so much heat  (Read 5910 times)

Offline Gooch

• The only thing that is not common is sense
    • View Profile
I truly believe that the main beef they have  you can go a whole issue of BP and not see one white charecter.   They want Bp to continue to be Benson.  The lone Borther in the see of whiteness.   They want atleast one white supporting charecter who is  in all actuality is the true focus of the book!!!!   The

Any THoughts
the game is messed up,  singers want to be gansters, gangsters want to be rappers, and rappers want to  be actors

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Well, to be fair there is no uni-mind "they".  There are a variety of critics with differing stated reasons for their dislike of the series.  There do seem to be points of attraction among the various on-line haters critics.  But who really cares?  Haven't we done enough e-psychoanalysis?  If anybody raises points that forum members are interested in discussing, great, have at it; that's why we're here.  Me, myself, I'm just not interested in speculating about why somebody doesn't like the book though.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Various haters a.k.a. THEM. The subversive, narrow-minded elements who preach hate in order to put down others. We face THEM all the time, but we won't be vanquished.

It's been two years and Hudlin's work is getting better. Nuff said.
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline aric_dacia

• View Profile
    • Official Homepage of Author Barry Reese
Well, as a white reader (and recent convert to the series), the reason I'd avoided it until recently was because I'd heard about the series ignoring or invalidating continuity, the reggie didn't care about respecting the past, etc. After I finally tried the book, I really, really liked it -- but that's why *I* used to avoid the series. It certainly wasn't because the title character and most of his cast were black. Now, I'm certain that -- sadly -- there *are* some white readers who might do that, but I would think it's not the majority. I hope not, anyway!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 06:29:22 pm by aric_dacia »

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Well, as a white reader (and recent convert to the series), the reason I'd avoided it until recently was because I'd heard about the series ignoring or invalidating continuity, the reggie didn't care about respecting the past, etc. After I finally tried the book, I really, really liked it -- but that's why *I* used to avoid the series. It certainly wasn't because the title character and most of his cast were black. Now, I'm certain that -- sadly -- there *are* some white readers who might do that, but I would think it's the majority. I hope not, anyway!

Welcome to the site!

My book has always had a wide range of fans...many races, many countries....many political beliefs. 

Offline aric_dacia

• View Profile
    • Official Homepage of Author Barry Reese
Thanks, Mr. Hudlin!

Offline Gooch

• The only thing that is not common is sense
    • View Profile
welcome Aric
the game is messed up,  singers want to be gansters, gangsters want to be rappers, and rappers want to  be actors

Jenn

There are a variety of critics with differing stated reasons for their dislike of the series.

There are? Cuz I keep hearing the same ol' sh*t over and over.  ::)

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
There are a variety of critics with differing stated reasons for their dislike of the series.

"Quacking Duck" sh*t, no doubt.
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline Catch22

• Honorary Wakandan
  • You gots to have vision, Willie!
    • View Profile
    • PapiCatch22's Urban Suite

That's the truth.  I pretty much stopped reading anything they had to say on the 'rama about BP, it always degenerated into a thread full of idiots and insults.  It would be different if there were a myriad of "differing stated reasons" but most of the reasons I've seen for people to hate the book always comes down to race.  The majority of the haters want to see the Panther relegated to a backgroud character.  I'll bet we'd see the same level of hate and complaints if the new Mr. Terrific at DC had an ongoing written from a black perspective.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile

OK, well, "variety" might be a bit of an overstatement. ;) There do seem to be only a few distinct reasons that people repeat ad naseum.  I think we've already discussed them plenty.  See, for example, Reginald's Frequent Attacks post.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Whatever bad reason the haters have, it doesn't dissolve the issues that Hudlin have brought up. Perhaps they're happy reading the aimless adventures of the X-Men. But to me, the team has become as fun as watching General Hospital.

Oh look! Now we've got mutants in space! How do you make mutants come off as very human? Put them in a setting where there are bizarre aliens around them! Ugh.

OT: I watched some Marvel Alliance clips off YouTube. Storm acts like a total lackey and yes-man. Is that what RoLo's want from her? Another supporting black character?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 06:47:46 pm by Open palm »
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?