Author Topic: Trump’s Nightmare: Women Opposing Him  (Read 734 times)

Offline imchills

• Assistant
    • View Profile
Trump’s Nightmare: Women Opposing Him
« on: February 03, 2017, 10:34:07 am »
It must be galling for a man who has been so open about his disregard for women to find that the strongest pushback to his administration so far has come from a bunch of women who appear more than a little unimpressed by President Trump, his appointees, and his executive orders. On his first day in office, there was the Women’s March, the largest global political protest in America’s history, led by women of color. The march did many remarkable things, establishing a culture of protest and setting a determined, exuberant tone for the dozens of spontaneous demonstrations that have occurred since — many of which have also been populated and led by women.

But women’s leadership extends beyond the grass-roots revival. In Congress, where many Democrats began the new administration short a spine, New York senator Kirsten Gillibrand emerged as the only senator to so far vote no on all but one of Trump’s picks (she voted for Nikki Haley for U.N. ambassador). In the House, California congresswoman Barbara Lee was among the first to announce that she was boycotting Trump’s inauguration. New York congresswoman Nydia Velázquez was early to John F. Kennedy Airport on Saturday where she demanded the release of refugees being held at the airport after Trump signed an executive order that prevented travelers with valid visas and green cards from entering the U.S. Velázquez, along with Gillibrand, Women’s March leaders Linda Sarsour and Tamika Mallory, and New York City public advocate Tish James, was among those receiving the biggest cheers at Sunday’s anti-wall, anti-ban rally in Battery Park. And on Tuesday morning, California representative Maxine Waters is having a press conference about Trump’s ties to Russia.

As Dahlia Lithwick has pointed out, it was four women judges — Anne Donnelly in New York; Leonie Brinkema in Virginia; Allison Burroughs and Judith Dein in Boston — along with Thomas Zilly in Washington, who ordered the temporary stays of Trump’s ban. Many noted that among the lawyers who flocked to airports over the weekend to help detainees, the preponderance of them were female. The Atlantic’s Matt Ford tweeted on Sunday night after leaving Dulles, “Gender disparity was striking: probably 70 percent of lawyers volunteering there are young women.” He noted in his later story that many of the volunteer lawyers were also people of color.

On Monday afternoon, California’s Kamala Harris and Washington’s Patty Murray led a coalition of their fellow senators in opposition to Trump’s Muslim ban, writing a letter expressing “outrage” at Trump’s executive order, and noting that the order “and its haphazard implementation both run counter to our American values and the Constitution, as well as our national security and economic interests.” Executive action “that denies entry to refugees escaping violence and oppression with an explicit preference for people of one religion over another is unconscionable and unconstitutional.”

And of course on Monday night, interim Attorney General Sally Yates sent a letter to lawyers in the Justice Department noting that she was not “convinced that the executive order is lawful,” and that “consequently, for as long as I am the acting attorney general, the Department of Justice will not present arguments in defense of the executive order unless and until I become convinced that it is appropriate to do so.” Yates was not acting attorney general for long; Trump fired her by the end of the night, releasing a statement in which he claimed that she “has betrayed the Department of Justice” and called her “weak on borders and very weak on illegal immigration.”

But Yates’s reputation is unlikely to be tied to any sense of weakness; rather, she has, in the span of a few short hours, become the symbol of righteous defiance of a leader whose team spent Monday defending the detention of 5-year-olds at airports.

Yes, there are men who’ve been doing their part to oppose Trump: Congressman John Lewis made news by questioning his legitimacy as president and settled in at the Atlanta airport in support of detainees on Saturday; New Jersey senator Cory Booker broke precedent to testify against Trump’s attorney general pick Jeff Sessions; Oregon senator Jeff Merkley promised on Monday to filibuster any Trump candidate for the Supreme Court who is not Merrick Garland; congressman Jerrold Nadler was right next to Velázquez at JFK; and the anonymous park ranger insurrectionists on social media are surely women and men. Yet it’s striking how many women have put themselves, or found themselves, on the front lines of this burgeoning political fight. In part, this is the result of having more women in public and political spaces where they used to be such distinct minorities — thanks to the kinds of social progress that Trump’s team seems to want to roll back.

Despite the strides, women remain minorities in the institutions where they are leading the fight against Trump. They make up less than 20 percent of Congress and 33 percent of state and federal judges, though as journalist Lisa Belkin pointed out on Monday, more than 60 percent of public interest lawyers are women. To suggest that women’s leadership is inherently more righteous than men’s is both essentialist and wrong, but the female will to resist is pretty poetic: Trump may have vanquished one powerful female foe in the election, but now a million more women have sprouted in her place.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/01/trumps-nightmare-women-opposing-him.html

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Trump’s Nightmare: Women Opposing Him
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 07:51:46 am »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 03:11:23 pm »
Wednesday, 3rd April 2019
Ilhan Omar Tells Ava DuVernay About the (Good) Trouble She’s Making in Congress
by Ava DuVernay

For the first time in recent history, perhaps ever, the United States Congress is fun to watch.

This has been the case since the midterm elections last fall, when a so-called “blue wave” washed in a Democratic sea of women, first-time campaigners, teachers, bartenders, progressive city council members, and, in the case of Minnesota’s Ilhan Omar, a first-generation refugee from Somalia and devout Muslim.

During the 36-year-old freshman’s first months in office, she has pushed her way through the House’s staid “decorum” as well as its institutional racism.

From her victory speech in 2018, which she opened with the Islamic greeting “As-Salaamu-Alaikum,” to her pushing to overturn a 181-year House rule banning headwear on the floor (Omar wears a hijab), her religious leanings have been an obsession for her detractors, such as the Republican pastor who claimed Congress “is now going to look like an Islamic republic.”

The fixation on Omar and her peers Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, and Rashida Tlaib has obscured the strides they’ve made to bring a new perspective to Congress.

In a now-viral clip, Omar grilled President Donald Trump’s new special envoy to Venezuela, a career State Department official named Elliott Abrams, about his past involvement in human rights violations in El Salvador (“Do you think that massacre was a fabulous achievement that happened under our watch?”).

As Omar puts it to the Oscar-nominated filmmaker Ava DuVernay, she is simply making “good trouble.” —NATHAN TAYLOR PEMBERTON

DUVERNAY: I read that you caught 11 fish at the Minnesota Governor’s Fishing Opener? Now, listen. I’m from Compton. What is going on with a colored girl fishing?

OMAR: That is the most-asked question. The idea that there are colored girls outperforming midwesterners at fishing is not a thing.

DUVERNAY: I love it.

OMAR: When I was in the Minnesota House, we’d do a big fishing tournament every year. The governor has a boat and the lieutenant governor has a boat. I got invited once, and I joked with them that they just invited me to be like, “Oh, here’s this new member who’s an immigrant.” They just thought that I’d drink my tea and sit in the boat. They didn’t imagine that I could come from a family of fishermen. The country I was born in has one of the longest coastlines in Africa, so fishing was very much part of our family tradition. As soon as I threw my fish hook, it was magic. I think my grandfathers were whispering to the fish and making sure that their granddaughter was defending their legacy.

DUVERNAY: The fish were like, “Let’s help make this happen.”

OMAR: It was the most fish that have been caught by a single person in the history of the fishing opener.

DUVERNAY: When I’m introduced to people, I get a lot of, “She’s the first black woman to have ever had a film nominated for an Oscar for best picture,” or, “She’s the first black woman to win Sundance.” I’ve come to have a really complicated relationship with being the “first” of my kind. Considering that you’re the first of so many things, I want to know what your relationship with being first is. Are you good with it, or is it complicated for you?

OMAR: I have a complicated relationship with it, internally and externally. There are people who don’t celebrate it in good faith and just want to have that be the box you’re in—like a qualifier for your success. There isn’t really much discussion about your character or your qualifications and the worth and perspective that you bring to the work. You get to feel like you’re drowning in it, because you don’t want to mess this first thing up for everyone you want to hold the door open for. It has a negative weight.

DUVERNAY: I’m actually not the first woman capable of doing these things. I didn’t just come off of a star or a moonbeam to all of a sudden be the first black woman who could do this. It’s the time we’re in that created the space for us. But even though we’re first, the goal is to make sure that we’re not the last, right?

OMAR: In a way, it can be seen as people wanting to pat themselves on the back—like, “We got one!” I appreciate the fact that I have the opportunity to do this for the first time. But having that be the focus means that we’re taking away from everyone else who is equally capable, who has a perspective that is beyond their identity. I want to make sure that people don’t think that I must represent all the voices of just Muslim women, or African women, or African people. I want to make sure that people understand that it’s Ilhan who represents these identities. It’s not the identities who represent Ilhan. It’s so complicated. It’s a pile of soup in my head.

DUVERNAY: One thing that doesn’t have anything to do with your faith or your gender is the fact that you won your seat by the largest margin of any woman in history. How does that happen?

OMAR: That’s been one of the least talked about things.

DUVERNAY: It’s the one thing that’s a direct product of your work, your labor, your strategy, your platform, your words, your passion. The other things are happenstance, really. You didn’t dictate being the first. It could have been someone two years before or ten years after.

OMAR: We didn’t even know that we outperformed 428 districts around the country in voter turnout. I truly believe it’s about organizing and believing that the voices of everyone that you’re seeking to represent should have a seat at the table. There are a lot of people who will campaign on the idea of not leaving a vote on the table, but who won’t reach every single person in their district to make sure that that’s actually happening. People in our district really felt that they were being invited to participate in their democracy, and they joined in. I always say that excitement is intoxicating, and we were able to translate our excitement into a huge voter turnout.

DUVERNAY: Social media helped me connect with all of the congresswomen who got elected in 2018. You and your sisters in Congress have turned the stereotype of what a congressperson is on its head in a very short time. Is it just a product of, “Hey, I’m a young woman and I use social media”? It’s become a real hallmark of your presence in Congress.

OMAR: Social media has been a part of our normal day-to-day lives. I remember watching some of these candidates like Rashida Tlaib and sharing her stuff on social media. Before I met Alexandria, my daughter and husband mentioned this young woman who was running and challenging an incumbent, so I followed her on Twitter. Then she followed me back. I inboxed her and I was like, “You’ve got this. It’s worth working for everything that’s worth having and keep your head up.” I remember being excited about Jahana Hayes out of Connecticut and pushing for Ayanna [Pressley] when the Black Caucus wasn’t yet on board. I was just cheering for these women running their races. But when I joined the race, I became a part of this amazing group of people who were not only speaking to the progressive values that I cared about, but who were also people I could be in solidarity with. When our day to day was filled with lots of struggle, it was good to share something or see others share and just send the positive vibes.

DUVERNAY: I see you all together and I imagine that it’s this great sisterhood, where you see each other in the halls and on the floor. Can you just take me behind the curtain a little bit?

OMAR: There are lots of text threads. There is a lot of hugging and high-fiving. We are also developing a sisterhood with many of the members who are our seniors here. There is this tradition here of men going to have their cocktail hours to drink their scotch and do their plotting, but being these very untraditional members of Congress, we have the opportunity to care about the well-being of one another, including the well-being of the people we represent. We understand that we don’t have a lot of time to sit around. We’re creating good trouble, and we’re going to need one another.

DUVERNAY: Who knows what those men are doing with their scotch. I never know, and I never want to know.

OMAR: I haven’t been invited to those parties yet.

DUVERNAY: Whatever they do, one of the things that they don’t experience is the constant nitpicking of everything they say. While you’re talking about the idea of leadership and being in Congress, you all have this additional layer of the scrutiny. It’s unprecedented. It could be very destructive and harmful, too. Each of the women who has come in with this new wave is enduring this takedown culture. How are you managing that and still doing your work?

OMAR: There’s mostly been a separation between the attacks on our ideas and attacks on our identities. We are trying to focus on making sure that we defend our ideas and not give people the opportunity to put us in a corner where we are stuck defending our identities. I think this is because we’re of a generation that’s been movement-building. That is very different and unique. We understand what self-care looks like. We understand what being in solidarity looks like. We understand what Shine Theory really looks like. So we uplift one another. We understand that my sadness is the sadness of my sisters here in Congress. And their success is my success. We’re not fighting for the limelight. We’re not fighting for acknowledgment. What we’re fighting for is for our people.

Would You Like To Know More?
https://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/conversation-with-congresswoman-ilhan-omar-and-ava-duvernay

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 10:13:35 pm »
Saturday, 13th April 2019
Yemeni bodegas boycott New York Post over attacks on Rep. Ilhan Omar

by The Guardian

A group of New York corner-store owners has announced a boycott on the sale of the New York Post, arguing that the Rupert Murdoch-owned newspaper’s attacks on the congresswoman Ilhan Omar are making Muslim Americans less safe.

On Thursday, the Post published a front page featuring an image of the World Trade Center towers in flames on 11 September 2001 and a quote suggesting that Omar, a Somali American congresswoman from Minnesota who wears a hijab, had minimized the seriousness of the terror attacks in a speech last month.

In an open letter in response, the Yemeni American Merchants Association wrote that the front page “provoked hatred” and “aims to harm Omar and her family and other people of the Islamic faith”.

The group said it was calling on “all Yemeni American bodega and deli owners” as well as “our community and allies across New York City” to boycott the sale and purchase of the Post.

The association represents Yemeni Americans who own and run an estimated 4,000 to 5,000 of New York City’s thousands of delis and corner stores, which are known as “bodegas”.

Such stores are integral to the daily life of most New Yorkers, a crucial source of late-night snacks, morning coffee and newspapers and magazines.

Repeated criticism of Omar by the Post, the Murdoch-owned Fox News, Republican politicians and puppetine has been condemned by progressive Democrats, including presidential contenders who called the attacks “dangerous” and said they risked “inciting violence”.

Last week, a puppetine supporter from New York state was arrested and charged after making a death threat against Omar.

On Friday, puppetine tweeted a video featuring part of Omar’s remarks to the Council on American-Islamic Relations, cut with footage from 9/11. He retweeted the message on Saturday.

The Post published a brief story criticising the New York Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for her defense of Omar.

In its letter, the Yemeni American Merchants Association said the New York Post was “undermin[ing] national unity and [enticing] violence and hate”.

It added:

“This rhetoric threatens the safety and wellbeing of Omar, Muslim leaders, and the larger Muslim American community at a time when Islamophobia is at an all-time high.”

Ayyad Algabyali, the group’s director of advocacy, told the Guardian:

“It’s not the first time that the New York Post basically spreads hate and fear in their newspapers.”

Selling the New York Post might bring merchants “a little profit”, he added, but it also means “you are committing to sell violence and hate in the community, and that’s totally unacceptable”.

There was “no end date” to the boycott, he said, adding: “This might be for good.”

Algabyali said news of the boycott had gone viral on Twitter, and that the group hoped other merchant associations might join in solidarity.

The group had already received support from some Uber and Lyft drivers, he said, who were helping spread news about the boycott from one bodega to another.

This is the Yemeni American Merchants Association’s first major political action.

It was formed two years ago, in the wake of a a Yemeni bodega strike protesting puppet’s travel ban against several Muslim-majority countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/13/yemeni-bodegas-new-york-post-boycott-ilhan-omar?fbclid=IwAR2l0EuvajfU2ixFpMNc_46U7K1c6VQoG_ySqm1N6mM4L830WU2gTvtVBtc

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 06:46:05 am »
Sunday, 14th April 2019
Demonizing Minority Women
by Charles M. Blow

Last month at an event hosted by the Council on American-Islamic Relations, Representative Ilhan Omar, a Minnesota Democrat and one of the first Muslim women elected to Congress, delivered a speech in which she correctly derided Islamophobia, a real and persistent problem in this country and others.

In that speech, Representative Omar invoked the attacks of Sept. 11, saying the council was created “because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”

(As The New York Times pointed out, “The Council on American-Islamic Relations was actually founded in 1994.)
The congresswoman could have used different, more severe language to describe the attacks, but she didn’t.

Maybe we could judge her use of language as inartful, but we all succumb to that occasionally, me included.
Error is inevitable among the loquacious. But, the Omar of the speech stands. I saw nowhere in it a thread of terror apologia.

And yet, conservative media has pounced on four of Omar’s words — “some people did something” — as just that.
Brian Kilmeade, one of the dull and delusional on “Fox & Friends,” questioned her patriotism, saying, “You have to wonder if she’s an American first.”

drumphf upped the ante, retweeting a video of Omar saying, “Some people did something,” interspersed with the still-chilling video of the 9/11 attacks.

Some things should be too sacred to exploit for political gain, but the puppet is an amoralist.

Nothing is beyond the pale.

While the unrelenting attacks on Omar are newsworthy unto themselves as a conservative peculiarity, I believe that the attacks should be viewed through a wider and longer lens.

Omar is only the most recent minority woman onto whom conservatives have trained their fire.

While white supremacy has historically tried to paint minority men as physically dangerous, it has routinely painted minority women, particularly those strong and vocal, as pathological and reprobate.

There is a pattern here.

It is expressed not only in the attacks on, and in elevation of, Omar, but also on Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York.

Before them, the puppet and his cohorts demonized Representative Maxine Waters, who Trump dubbed “Low I.Q.,” and Representative Frederica Wilson of Florida.

And before they tried to make Omar and Ocasio-Cortez the face of the Democratic Party, they did the same to Wilson and Waters.

In October 2017, the puppet tweeted about Wilson:

“Wacky Congresswoman Wilson is the gift that keeps on giving for the Republican Party, a disaster for Dems. You watch her in action & vote R!”

In June, the puppet said, “The face of the Democrats is now Maxine Waters.”

The strategy is simple:

While sexism and racism are potent individually, they are devastating in combination, particularly when appealing to a party dominated by white men and which exalts white supremacy and white patriarchy.

The only women they truly honor are white women who obsequiously condone or actively participate in the oppression.

All manner of inhumanity and barbarism have been conducted under the guise of protecting the honor and purity of these white women.

There are untold rope-burned necks and fully burned bodies in American history to attest to this.

There is a reason that drumphf launching his campaign by calling Mexicans murderers and rapists had such resonance among the people who came to support him.

One of the most memorable scenes in “The Birth of a Nation” was a white woman throwing herself off a cliff to keep from being raped by a black man.

There is a reason that many white people viewed slavery as the guard against the vulnerability of women, and black freedom as the gateway to white woman victimization.

As the Binghamton University historian Diane Miller Sommerville put it in her book, “Rape & Race in the Nineteenth-Century South”:

“Black-on-white rape figured prominently in these historical treatments of Reconstruction. Portraying Freedmen as intoxicated with new political power, historians like Claude Bowers described how ‘an awful fear rested upon the women of the communities.’ ”

Sommerville would quote Bowers saying, “Rape is the foul daughter of Reconstruction.”

To advance their oppression, these white men treated white women as victims, and many white women reciprocated by playing the role of victim.

In that way, barbarity could be passed off as chivalry.

But for the women who fall outside this constraint — minority women, lesbian and transgender women, liberal women, “nasty” women — the rebuke is brutal.

They didn’t need protection, but rather, suppression.

These women herald calamity — both the dislodging of white supremacy and the subversion of male supremacy.
Conservatives attack these women because the threat they pose is existential.

We can fuss over the language any of these women have used, and whether some remarks crossed lines of propriety, but to have them as the only arena of discussion about why conservatives are so offended is to be intentionally blind.

These people hate women like Omar because they see them as omens.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/opinion/ilhan-omar-minority-women.html?smid=tw-nytopinion&smtyp=cur
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:00:38 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:19:01 pm »
Monday, 15th April 2019
Omar rakes in cash online as controversies pile up

by STEVEN SHEPARD and SARAH FERRIS

Small-dollar donors rushed to defend embattled Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) in the first three months this year, as she faced charges of anti-Semitism from prominent Democrats, according to a fundraising report filed Monday with the Federal Election Commission.

Omar, a Minnesota Democrat elected in 2018 and sworn in for the first time in early January, found herself embroiled in controversy shortly after arriving in Washington.

The first Somali-American member of Congress was widely rebuked in February, including by her own party, after several high-profile instances in which she invoked anti-Semitic tropes about U.S. politicians’ support for Israel.

Omar raised $832,000 in the first quarter, according to her FEC report — among the best totals posted by any House Democrat.

Roughly half of her donations, $415,000, came from people who gave less than $200 to Omar, and the majority of her funds, $631,000, came from online donors who gave via ActBlue, the Democratic online fundraising platform that has been such a boon to the party’s candidates in recent years that Republicans are scrambling to develop an alternative.

As supporters sent money to Omar, frustrations within her own caucus escalated to a point where Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her deputies were forced to intervene with a joint statement condemning Omar’s comments in February — an extremely unusual rebuke by party leaders of a freshman lawmaker.

Omar apologized, but was again accused of fueling anti-Semitic stereotypes just weeks later.

Now, she has been directly targeted by the acting-president on Twitter, which fueled an angry conservative backlash that her allies say has sparked a rise in threats against her life.

Omar received just $10,000 from political action committees, including two from other House Democrats:

Fellow freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.) gave Omar $2,000 on March 28, and House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (S.C.) gave her $1,000 on March 29.

Clyburn, the No. 3 House Democrat, came to Omar's defense earlier this year, after several of their fellow Democrats drafted legislation to formally condemn anti-Semitism, which would have specifically called out Omar by name.

The legislation was eventually broadened to condemn all forms of hate speech, to the frustration of some prominent Democrats who wanted to punish Omar.

Her $832,000 haul puts her among House Democrats’ top fundraisers in the first quarter, topping nearly every Democratic incumbent running in a vulnerable district, including prolific fundraisers like Rep. Josh Gottheimer (D-N.J.), who raised $830,000 for his reelection campaign inside the expensive New York media market.

Freshman Rep. Josh Harder (D-Calif.), who represents a central California swing district, outraised Omar with a $873,000 haul.

Omar’s campaign spent $241,000 and had $607,000 in cash on hand as of March 31.

Omar represents a safely Democratic, Minneapolis-based district that she won by a 56-point margin.

She succeeded now-state Attorney General Keith Ellison in Congress, winning the Democratic nomination in a six-candidate primary with 48 percent of the vote.

In just her first few months in Congress, Omar has become a fixture of gop attack ads against Democrats, which have focused on charges of anti-Semitism and other harsh rhetoric.

In the last week, the Minnesota Democrat has been a direct target of rhetorical attacks by the acting-president and other gop accusing her of downplaying the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

She and her allies say their comments — which Republicans say were taken out of context — have prompted a number of death threats against her.

Democratic presidential candidates rose to her defense, and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) said this week that the U.S. Capitol Police and House sergeant-at-arms are working to “safeguard” Omar, her family and her staff.”

But the new campaign finance report only covers activity through the end of March.

Omar’s district — which sweeps across downtown Minneapolis — is heavily Democratic.

Some party leaders, however, have been eyeing ways to challenge her in 2020, with hopes to recruit a candidate to run against her in the primary.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/15/online-donors-ilhan-omar-1277273

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 06:43:43 am »
Thursday, 18th April 2019
Ilhan Omar's stormy rise
by Briana Bierschbach

At the St. Therese senior care facility in New Hope in March, Omar was surrounded by women much like her:

They fled civil war in Africa and came to America for a better life.

But these women, employees at the facility and others like it across the Twin Cities metro area, were Liberians at risk of losing their legal status in the U.S. in days if drumphf didn't extend the Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) program.

"Twenty years, 10 years, 15 years is putting deep roots in a community, so when you do that in a new country, the old country is no longer home," Omar said, highlighting her bill that would extend their status.

In the middle of the press conference, Betty Munford started to weep at the thought of her friends and co-workers being sent away.

Omar walked over and put her arms around Munford.

Afterward, the women mobbed Omar for selfies.

Munford was breathless about her encounter and embrace from the congresswoman, an immigrant like herself.

She was unfazed by any of the controversies surrounding her.

"Oh, god, it felt so good, I felt so blessed," she said.

"I love her so much. I love her so much no matter what she does."

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/04/18/rep-ilhan-omar-politics-profile-timeline-history?utm_campaign=Capitol+View&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sfmc_Newsletter&utm_content=The%20Daily%20Digest
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:03:55 am by Battle »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 07:01:17 am »
Wednesday, 17th April 2019
Attention Black People: It’s Your Fault Should Donald Trump Get Re-Elected in 2020
by Jason Johnson

I have made an amazing discovery over the course of 2019 that has never occurred to me despite voting in elections for years.

I am the most powerful person in the American electorate.

Me, only me.

Or at least I think so.

I come to this conclusion after months and months on Twitter and other social media where I am consistently told that I will be responsible for Donald Trump getting re-elected in 2020.

Now I’ll be fair, perhaps it isn’t me as Jason Johnson, it’s me as a black person.

In particular, me as a black person who has the audacity to question Democratic candidates for 2020 instead of just fawning all over the flavor of the month.

Apparently me, and other ungrateful black folk of my ilk, by merely questioning the policies of “electable” white liberal favorites like Sen. Bernie Sanders, Mayor Pete Buttigieg and, yes, even Sen. Kamala Harris are going to get Donald Trump re-elected in 2020.

Who knew we were that powerful?

Or maybe just maybe, America’s white Democrats are telling on themselves - again.

The Democratic Party has a very funny relationship with African Americans.

They can’t get elected mayor, governor, president, let alone dog catcher, without 90% black support and massive turnout.

Yet rather than come up with specific policies that target black needs, they spend their time cajoling, chastising and, yes, implicitly threatening black voters to get in line with whatever the favored party candidate is.

Democrats need black people like the Starks need those dragons on Game of Thrones.

They tell themselves that they can win without us, but deep down they know they can’t, and resent being dependent on us and hate that now we have a seat at the table.

So white Democrats lash out by calling critical black voters unruly and pre-emptively blame us for Trump’s re-election.

Notice how Twitter came after MSNBC contributor and SIRIUS XM host Zerlina Maxwell for daring to talk about ‘electable’ Joe Biden’s roving hands and kisses?

The nerve of black voters also asking about Sen. Harris’ threat to throw black mothers in jail over truant kids.

You’re making it easier for Trump!

How dare black voters question why Mayor Buttigieg has such a terrible record on minority hiring and promotion.
We need Pete fresh and ready for his first debate against Trump!

Why do you black folks like New York Times columnist Jamelle Bouie insist on looking into Joe Biden’s tough on ‘black crime’ policies and rhetoric before he was Obama’s vice president?

Can’t you see he’s our only hope of beating Trump?

White Democrats blaming black folks for electoral outcomes that they don’t like isn’t new.

For a hot minute after the 2016 election, it was popular to blame black voters for Hillary Clinton’s loss to Trump.

It took almost a year before many white Democrats would admit it was 53% of Clinton’s own ‘base’ of white women that pushed Trump over the top.

During the 2016 primary, African Americans were blamed by white liberals for Sanders’ loss, which, by their logic, got Trump elected.

Apparently black folks failed to realize that Bernie was the Forrest Gump of civil rights and had done everything from cradling MLK after he was shot to writing Jesse Jackson’s campaign speeches and producing the hook for Public Enemy’s Fight the Power.

Even forever President Obama, always adept at mimicking white moderate rhetoric to black audiences, famously lectured the Congressional Black Caucus in 2011 to take off your bedroom slippers, stop complaining and get out to vote – as if the Democratic shellacking in the 2010 midterms were because Rainbow and Dre didn’t vote, as opposed to white backlash across the gerrymandered Midwest.

In 2008, black voters were blamed by prominent white liberals, especially in the LGBTQA community, for the passage of Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage in California, even though the numbers didn’t back up those accusations.

The difference this year is that white Democrats are blaming black voters before an election, placing the blame for four more years of Trump on African American shoulders before the first primary vote has been cast.

Unfortunately for white liberals, that pre-and-post-blame game won’t work anymore.

To paraphrase that wise and prescient political sage Silkk the Shocker, It Ain’t Our Fault.

Laying the blame of a second Trump term on wayward malcontent black voters and pundits is not only mathematically and politically specious, it highlights two long standing unspoken attitudes among white Democratic voters.

First, “You’ll get Trump re-elected” is the white electoral equivalent to “Do what I say or I’m calling the Cops.”

It translates to “If you don’t vote for whatever candidate I want, Trump will get re-elected and that will teach you to listen to me.”

When #PrimaryPatty blames black people for Trump, there’s an implicit threat because she’s acknowledging that Trump poses a greater threat to black lives than to white people.

Second, claiming black critiques of Democratic candidates will elect Trump is a tacit admission that white Democrats aren’t willing to do the work to bring all of their wayward MAGA-loving cousins from suburban Atlanta, and central Kansas, and Uptown Manhattan back to the right side of history.

It means quietly at church and spin class and college alumni group texts that the 53% may be disgusted by Stormy Daniels and shed a tear over babies in cages, but will still pull the level for Trump come November 2020.

Democrats are lashing out at black people because that’s easier than facing the ugly reality of the choices made by majority of their fellow white voters.

So thank you white Democrats for letting black people know that we are so powerful that the mere questioning of Buttigieg, Biden, Bernie or Beto is a ticket to four more years of Trump.

On Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020, when black folks turn out to vote in record numbers for the Democratic nominee, despite poll taxes, voter suppression and rigged machines, and white mid-western suburbanites put Trump back into office anyway - and you blame us again - black folk across America will make sure we all turn to the camera and say,

“Did I do that?”

https://www.theroot.com/attention-black-people-it-s-your-fault-should-donald-t-1834108854