Author Topic: What Are YOU Watching?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
What Are YOU Watching?
« on: March 15, 2017, 05:55:30 pm »
This is a tread to talk about anything you're watching on television that you loved, hated or found interesting.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
Re: What Are YOU Watching?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:39:12 pm »
Okay, I call Turner Classic Movies my almost free HBO because it's one of my default stations when nothing else is on tv. That's how I messed around and saw "Take A Giant Step" and man it was so GOOD!

1950's teenaged crooner Johnny Nash plays a lower middle class kid in an all white neighborhood whose parents struggled to move there to give him a better life and more opportunities. He's the only Negro in his school and he's kicked out when his history teacher makes a thinly veiled racist comment to him while discussing the Civil War, that he takes exception to. He angrily mopes home and tells his near invalid grandmother, who offers him some advice and a sympathetic ear. He borrows five dollars from her under the pretense of buying his mother flowers to soften the blow, when his parents get home.

He wanders around town, ending up at a colored bar on the wrong side of tracks. There he lies about his age to get beer and is befriended by three particularly sassy female entrepreneurs. One of them is Gertie from the infamous "Good Times" episode about the elderly lady who makes 'meatloaf' out of dog food. You'll recognize the other two from guest appearances on "Sanford & Son" but here they're much younger and all dolled up. He tells them his troubles, about how lonely and dejected he feels, then point blank asks them if they're prostitutes.

Let me back track, he has white friends in his neighborhood but they're distant because they've discovered girls but there's no colored girls around for him to date, so he's often alone. By often I mean all the time.

Anyway, the ladies in the bar more or less tell him yes and one offers to keep him company for the price of a sandwich. They go up to her room where she changes into something more comfortable, but he's not comfortable at all with this leering older woman pawing at him. She asks if he's afraid, he frankly says yes, she cusses him out but gives him bus fair back home to face the music from his parents.

While he's away the school calls his worried parents informing them of the situation. They land on him with both feet as soon as he hits the door. His mother (played by Beah Richards, Sidney Poitier's mom in "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner") tells him he has to learn his place and not talk back to white women, ever. Doing so could get him lynched and there would be nothing they could do about it. She says he's too proud for his own good and she's at a loss as to how he turned out that way. His dad is a big blow hard who works as a teller at the bank. He calls him an ungrateful little bastard, smacks him, then dude runs upstairs to keep from knocking out his father.

His grandmother slowly makes her way downstairs, all while talking major smack to her daughter and son-in-law. It's hilarious! She reads them the riot act, explaining to them that this is the son the privileged upbringing they gave him made. She says she's ashamed of them for telling the boy to not to stick up for himself and that he was in the right and they should have backed him up, but they were too cowardly.

I'm not going to spoil the rest of the movie, except to say that Ruby Dee was fine as hell when she was young! My first exposure to her was with Ossie Davis in "Do The Right Thing", but this was her in her prime and Nia Long has to be one of her descendants.

If you ever get the chance, check this movie out, I promise you'll enjoy it. It's one of the first Black films written by a Black man. It's amazing how timely it still is sixty years later. The star Johnny Nash went on to write and record "I Can See Clearly Now" in 1972 and he's probably still living nice on the royalties to this day.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 04:00:21 am »
Kudos, TripleX, it's a good film to check out..

The promotional poster is revelatory for the vaguely lurid marketing of what is a relatively non-edgy feature (certainly by today's standards)
I did not know that a black writer did the screenplay.  cool!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053331/reviews-2

cribbed from my IMDB review (geez, nearly 10 years ago?)

*** This review contains spoilers ***

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS PLOT SPOILERS---

United Artists released this film in 1960, in the midst of Civil Rights-era social turmoil in the United States. Johnny Nash is Spencer, "Spence" to his friends, a 17-year old boy who's looking at graduating high school later this year. He lives with his parents and his maternal grandmother. Spence's dad, Lem, is a bank teller; Spence's mom, May, is (seemingly) a homemaker, but the family also has a maid, Christine (Ruby Dee). You see, Spence's dad earns enough of a living to give his family a middle-class lifestyle, having apparently moved to a suburban locale from the inner-city at least a few years ago (it's inferred to be perhaps just before Spence hit middle school).

As the movie opens, Spence's birthday is around the corner, but he's not feeling too enthusiastic. Like a lot of boys his age, Spence is thinking about the future- what is he going to do with his life-- and, perhaps more important for Spence-- where does he belong? You see, Spence's teen angst is aggravated by the culture shock of being black in an all-white community (it's not explicitly stated, but it seems to be suburban Philadelphia or somewhere on the Northeast coast). Hanging around with his white friends was fine before puberty hit-- all of a sudden, because of his race, he's the odd man out when it comes to trying to socialize with the opposite sex. On top of that, he apparently has to cope with other classmates who like to make sly remarks; things come to a head when Spence mouths off to a bigoted teacher-- he gets labeled as a "troublemaker" and is suspended, with risk of expulsion.

Lem and May want Spence to apologize, but he refuses; the only person on Spence's side is his Grandma, who is rather blunt spoken (and not above ethnic slurs herself)-- she understands that Spence has become alienated, and criticizes his parents for pushing him to "assimilate" above all else. The ongoing conflict at home becomes too much for Spence, who decides to run away-- finding his way to the inner city, he drifts to a couple of bars, and pretends to be older, but his greenness is too obvious to most of the people he encounters-- ultimately, he's picked up by a hooker desperate for cash; but Spence just wants to vent about his problems, and the lady of the night has little patience; she kicks him out of her apartment with only bus fare to get home..

Back at home, Grandma's condition takes a turn for the worse, and she dies; feeling more alone than ever, Spence finally turns to Christine for advice-- especially about women. Soon, May abruptly decides to fire Christine, partly because of monetary concerns, and partly because she knows her son is attracted to her. Once again struck with anger and frustration, Spence races to the local bus stop to see Christine one more time, and she gives him some wise words about his grandmother and his overall malaise-- "If you weren't black, you wouldn't have gotten to know your grandma.."
Back home again, Spence's mom throws a birthday party, and Spence almost skips it, but he finally come to an understanding with his parents about his feelings, and for once, looks forward to the future..

analysis- That the filmmakers chose to directly address the complicated issues of being black in America was arguably a bold step for a mainstream studio (United Artists/MGM). Johnny Nash's acting career stalled not long after this (though he became a prominent reggae/pop crooner), but Beah Richards and Ruby Dee had distinguished roles as character actresses, pioneers for blacks in the profession. The pivotal role of Estelle Helmsley as Grandma is fascinating to watch.

The dilemma of Jim Crow-era black middle-class aspiration is handled admirably, but awkwardly-- the dialog is rather dated by current standards, despite the presence of racial slurs. Ultimately, the film's conclusion ends on a note that defuses Spence's growing militancy, and his character's arc has a "work within the system" subtext. On the plus side, several key points are made, such as when Spence's dad remarks on having to service bigoted clients at the bank, or Spence's mother recalls working for (and perhaps now, socializing with) bigoted whites; Spence's parents not wanting him to "blow" their status as 'decent folk' to the neighbors; Spence embodying the creeping sense of self-loathing that comes with being racially ostracized, and his romantic frustrations of not having any 'real' dating options. Despite the time-specific setting, several of these issues have varying degrees of relevance in today's culture.

Trivia: Bernie Hamilton, the future Captain Dobey from "Starsky & Hutch", has a bit role here in a bar scene.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:09:34 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:38:35 am »
UNDERGROUND

This is how to tell a modern day, edgy Civil War era weekly episodic television show using Hip-Hop and R&B to help tell the story!  8)
Been watching Jurnee Smollett-Bell  grow as an actress ever since the criminally underrated hit movie, 'Roll, Bounce', take on the call to action of freeing Africans from captivity in the plantations of the Dirty South. The actress who plays the Harriet Tubbman-like character is fascinating to watch because her mannerisms and persistence reminds me so much of my own Mother and Grandmother...  well, not exactly an axe weiding, shotgun toting type but more like, using her survival instinct to reach her goals.

I only caught one episode and that was enough to keep me engaged for weekend viewing if I miss an episode during the week.
Anyway, check it out!  You won't be disappointed.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 01:48:28 pm »
I liked Underground. Waiting for Hulu to load season 2

Working on Queen Sugar now.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:31:48 am »
Queen Sugar is the truth!

But rignt now:

APB
The Breaks

Shots Fired (I LOOOOOVE THIS SHOW)
Underground
Empire

American Crime
Desus & Mero
a lot of stuff on VICELAND

Rosewood
Lucifer
Gotham
Flash
Legends of Tomorrow (Favorite cw show)
Arrow

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 06:50:29 am »
Finished season 1 of The Magicians. Really good.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 05:15:22 pm »
BBC America 's 'Killing Eve' is just irresistible!  :)

The last few episodes are winding down for the season.

Recommended for those who fancy the espionage world, a female Russian pyschopathic serial killer and Sandra Oh.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:17:46 pm by Battle »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 02:31:00 pm »
I'm catching up on The Resident.
I am in love with this show.
The Binge is on.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 05:17:27 pm »
Finished season 1 of The Killing. Really good.
Reggie Hudlin-

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 04:01:12 am »

By all accounts, Prince Harry lived a sheltered life both in the United Kingdom and during his time in the military, however, he has gained a much broader perspective of the world no other member of his family ever had.

The idea that Prince Harry would consider engaging into a interracial relationship is a remarkable 'Sign O Th' Times' as the late, great Prince would say.

This weekend, the civilized world shall bear witness The Royal Wedding. A very special wedding unlike anything anyone has ever seen.

Prince Harry's union with Ms. Meghan Markle, an all American girl of the 21st Century, dysfunctional family and all, will transform into the first Black princess on record inside the all White British royal family.

For all of you hopeless romantics out there with pre-concieved notions of what a real live fairy tale royal wedding is supposed to be, you are cordially invited to watch this delightful event if you want.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 02:56:44 pm »
I'm not watching that.
Big ups to one of my favorite SUITS actors, though.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 11:38:39 pm »
>>>DJ Mastrmynd

You may not remember this but I want to apologize for doubting you about kristen kreuk years ago.  There was a discussion about a list of potential candidates for a female role in some acting gig and I brought her name up still under the fascination of the first 3-4 seasons of 'Smallville' on DVD; very impressed with kreuk's character as Lana yet everyone else's reaction here at HEF was either indifference or generally negative. I definitely remember yours was like, "Nah!"  I was puzzled by your reaction. ???  Finding myself in defense of her.

Years later,  that scandal with keith rainere's extreme sado-masochistic bondage domination sex cult broke out and allison mack was right in the middle o' that sh!t. Then kreuk was involved 'cause she was down with mack, but not charged... yet.

I never should've doubted you, bruh.  :-[

I'm not gonna doubt you now. 

If you feel a certain way towards The Royal Wedding this weekend, I'm certain there's a reason for it.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 09:12:29 am »
It's all gravy, baby.
I got nothin' but love and respect for you my dude.
I tend to make decisions based on "feelings" and I just wasn't feelin' her. Plus I think she was Chun Li and that was a no no. That was probably the discussion.

As for the Royal Wedding, it has nothing to do with me. I tend to think of the Royals as "wishfullfilment." Girls growing up to Cinderella and the Disney Princesses... these folks grow up looking for a Prince Charming and lo and behold, a real life Prince and a soon-to-be Princess.

It's all rather meh to me.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 09:46:34 am »
It's all gravy, baby.
I got nothin' but love and respect for you my dude.
I tend to make decisions based on "feelings" and I just wasn't feelin' her. Plus I think she was Chun Li and that was a no no. That was probably the discussion.

You're right, it was 'Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li'! :)

Y'know, I still haven't seen that movie, yet?  ;D

...and sold all my  'Smallville' DVDs  to a pawn shop years ago.

Ironically, the brutha who played Pete Ross got booted off the show (I think) in the 3rd season unfairly; rumored that he exposed his d!ck to a chick in her passenger seat on video. Saw the video online somewhere, years ago. 

Yet, mack and kreuk stayed on 'Smallville' for 10 seasons.

Draw your own conclusions, but I believe Pete Ross made out unscathed. At least, he's not going to prison! ;D