Author Topic: the wire new season...  (Read 44425 times)

Offline Cheirel

• View Profile
Re: the wire new season...
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 11:32:37 am »
That is a perfect illustration of the central theme of Freakonomics.  Generally speaking, people tend to reason about things by extrapolating from their mental models, i.e. based on what they already know or believe.  Looking at actual data often yields a different picture.  Here are some fundamental ideas from the introduction:
  • Incentives are the cornerstone of modern life.
  • The conventional wisdom is often wrong.
  • Dramatic effects often have distant, even subtle causes.
  • "Experts" use their informational advantage to serve their own agenda.
  • Knowing what to measure and how to measure it makes a complicated world much less so.

No wonder I like this book.  The reason so many drug dealers live at with their moms is that, except for the ones at the top of the structure, they don't make very much money.
I might have to read the book...

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 08:29:09 pm »

I think that drug dealers live at home with moms because their opinion about money
is "easy come, easy go."  They always spend their money, never stash or invest it, and
therefore they never have enough of a lump sum to make a deposit on an apartment
or a house.  Plus they don't have any credit because most of them have never held a
real job.  That and the fact that moms should have stuck her foot up his ass a long time
ago but failed to do so.

Anyway - HEEEEY!!!  The Wire can be seen on 4 Sep On Demand!!!  Yay!!!

If All You Do Is What You've Done, Then All You'll Get Is What You've Got.

Offline mayday

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 06:41:28 am »
I would love to be able to watch a show without my "third eye" seeing through the B***S*** but I can't. Let's all be honest with ourselves, sure the Wire has alot of black actors but who is the face of the show...McNutty (McNulty).
All the fingers are pointed at us and the white people are incorrigible.
The white folks will turn out to be the heroes and save the hood while the blacks are to blame for everything (as usual). We got the white guy (Carcetti) running for mayor (everything gonna be aiight now) & the white school teacher (ex-cop) that's gonna save the hood.
Check it, they ice Stringer, a major character that made the show what it is. They could have used String as an example that you can come from the hood and crime but you can make it. (Just like every major corporation in America) The hardcore steet assasin and the gorgeous sister are........gay (WTF). The feared New York killer in the suit & bowtie is a MUSLIM (possibly the nation of Islam) and wears the same glasses Malcolm X wore (Why didn't the Muslim community cry foul about this ?

Read between the lines peeps........more of the same old BS wrapped in brite & shiny package given to us by white writers.   
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 06:43:08 am by mayday »

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2006, 07:53:39 am »
I hear you man but that is what's happening in the streets and for the record what really pisses me off is that the Wire is as good as Grey's Anatomy, 24, CSI and House yet it has never been in the running for an emmy

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 05:29:25 pm »
I hear you man but that is what's happening in the streets and for the record what really pisses me off is that the Wire is as good as Grey's Anatomy, 24, CSI and House yet it has never been in the running for an emmy

may, you know I love you but kara is right, the wire is street authentic, I dare say it has more street cred than other other show on TV.

Plus, Kima, Lt. Daniels, Major Colvin, all positive black characters who are unstereotypical in their potrayal.

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 06:51:12 pm »

Seven wake-ups and I get to see THE WIRE!!!  Yay!!!

(I thought that Stringer got waxed because Idris Elba had a scheduling conflict)  :(

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 12:31:56 am »
I watched The Wire special on HBO, and David Simon said that Stringer got killed because he tried to reform the drug trade and that particular area of life won't stand for reform.  After re-watching season 3 it made sense what Simon said. He also said he wanted to serve story and not character, so Stringer got nixed because the story and his actions called for it.

Offline mayday

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 06:25:29 am »
Okay, all that is well and good but I thought the Wire was trying to keep it real. How many Corporations are built on murder and crime ? String was a rotten backstabber but that's BUSINESS. The villian doesn't always die or get caught (espicially if he's WHITE), karma is asleep at the wheel most of the time.
I know it's a mute point but white people are not always swooping in to save black folk (Africa, anyone ?). This show may somewhat keep it real but there are no black writers on staff & there never will be. A few whites playing God with the lives of black folk on TV (sound familiar)
Let's get deep here. How many of you agree with what Colvin did ? By the end of the 3rd season they made him look like an ass for trying to help the community. The war on drugs is just about as succesful as the Iraq War. Why bother with the Marlo's and Stringers, STOP THE S*** from coming into the country. There's your war...but just like with String, it's all BUSINESS baby !       

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 07:20:08 am »

Six wake-ups and I get to see THE WIRE!!!   YAAAAY!!!

(Mayday!  It's just TV.  Entertainment Baby!!!)   :)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 07:30:41 am »
The thing I love about The Wire is that they deal with race and hypocrisy and corruption dead on.  It's true that McNulty is an important character but he is as f*cked up as anybody on the show.  I don't think he is "the face of the show" but that is a matter of perspective and opinion.  Stringer didn't get caught by the law, they couldn't touch him.  He was dealing dirty and it caught up with him.  I thought it was a gutsy move to hit him.  I was surprised even though we watched it coming the whole time.  The second season dealt with the importing of drugs and the third dealt explicitly with the ridiculous hyposcrisy of the "war on drugs".  I disagree that Colvin looked like an ass.  Colvin himself knew he was going to catch hell for Hamsterdam but the plot line was the best thing I've ever seen dealing with the systematic impact of drugs and crime on our communities.  To be sure, decriminalization is a mixed bag at best.  Do you remember the scene where the mayor is meeting with his inner circle trying to decide what to do about Hamsterdam?  That one cat that said, "They're going to call you the most dangerous man in America"?  That was Kurt Schmoke who opposed the war on drugs and was himself called the most dangerous man in America.  He was mayor of Baltimore and was succeeded by Martin O'Malley.

All that is to say, I'm not sure what you are complaining about mayday, the facts of the racism and hyposcrisy portrayed or the portrayal itself. 

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline karaszero

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • karaszero
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 09:00:34 am »
Man that Hamsterdam storyline was Off Da Hook! the wire has knocked it out of the park since day one and I like ALL of the characters especially like the relationships between Herc/Carver, Bunk/McNutty, Shema/McNutty the show is awash in Bi-cultural relationships not to mention the Lt. and the DA knocking boots HBO NEVER promoted the Wire like they have this season I wonder if it is because the flagship show (The Sopranos) sucked this past season or did HBO finally realize just how popular the Wire is?

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 03:04:11 pm »
Man that Hamsterdam storyline was Off Da Hook! the wire has knocked it out of the park since day one and I like ALL of the characters especially like the relationships between Herc/Carver, Bunk/McNutty, Shema/McNutty the show is awash in Bi-cultural relationships not to mention the Lt. and the DA knocking boots HBO NEVER promoted the Wire like they have this season I wonder if it is because the flagship show (The Sopranos) sucked this past season or did HBO finally realize just how popular the Wire is?

bunny colvin gets my vote for my favorite tragic genuis character of the year.

And curtis, brilliant summnation as always.  8)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 04:17:18 pm »
Agreed.  The sh*t is like a Greek tragedy.  Stringer, too.

And curtis, brilliant summnation as always.  8)
Thank you, my brother.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Sam Wilson

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 05:08:51 pm »
Agreed.  The sh*t is like a Greek tragedy.  Stringer, too.

WORD.  That line when mcnulty was sitting in stringer's office, saw all the samurai stuff and Tsung Tzu's "art of war", and then sighed and said, "Who the f*ck was I chasing?".  Perfect endscene to that particular final act. 

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 02:30:47 pm »

Five wake-ups!!!